Why do you ....

briansnat

I've encountered many geocaches that were out in the open, or otherwise exposed. In most cases it's obvious that it wasn't the intent of the owner to have his cache exposed in this manner.

Since this happens so frequently, I'm convinced that it is geocachers who are doing this. So my question is, for those of you who do this, what is your reasoning?

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

I'm waiting also.

As well as why "they" - I know it is not "you" doing it, right? - move the cache from where it was hidden in the first place.

Just because it was hard for you to find does not mean the rest of us are wanting your "help".

Hide it as you find it unless you are sure it is misplaced according to the numbers and hints and other logs.

Please.

Some of us go through a lot of thought and troubles in placing those caches that are "hard" for you to find.

Man, I seem to be cranky today.

logscaler.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I've encountered many geocaches that were out in the open, or otherwise exposed. In most cases it's obvious that it wasn't the intent of the owner to have his cache exposed in this manner.

Since this happens so frequently, I'm convinced that it is geocachers who are doing this. So my question is, for those of you who do this, what is your reasoning?

_"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant_

Because it was not hidden properly, and it was in a high-traffic area. Since it was in a hollow tree, I cannot replace it.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I've been the first finder of around 300 caches, and I'm amazed at how many owners put 2, 3, or 4 difficulty stars on their caches and leave them at least partially exposed. I consider it a rare day indeed when I come across a cache that deserves even two difficulty stars. (According to the rating guidelines)

It's also true that many cachers "help out" the next cacher by leaving the cache even a little more exposed than they found it. That is something I strive never to be guilty of ... I always rehide the cache to match its rating. (Whenever possible ... some caches are hopelessly overrated.)

always try to cover the cache back up exactly as it was found. if I found it too exposed, I try to hide it in a way that I think the owner probably hid it. Leave it just as you found it. only once I had a problem it was under a very heavy rock and the lid cracked when I lowered the rock, had to e-mail the owner on that.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

I always, and hope others would too, always try to cover the cache back up exactly as it was found. If I found it too exposed, I try to hide it in a way that I think the owner probably hid it. Leave it just as you found it.

This sounds a bit Orwellian. "We always hide it equal to the way we found it, except sometimes we make it more equal."

Hey, in a country of lazy-assed people, what do you expect? If you want your cache treated properly, make the cachers walk a few miles.

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

quote:
Originally posted by WaldenRun:

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

I always, and hope others would too, always try to cover the cache back up exactly as it was found. If I found it too exposed, I try to hide it in a way that I think the owner probably hid it. Leave it just as you found it.

This sounds a bit Orwellian. "We always hide it equal to the way we found it, except sometimes we make it more equal."

Hey, in a country of lazy-assed people, what do you expect? If you want your cache treated properly, make the cachers walk a few miles.

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

I was referring to a time I found a cache that had been strewed and chewed (this was one with the fish filets in mustard sauce in it) and we tried to put it back the way we thought it might have been. I don't change one from how I found it unless I can't pile up the sticks exactly as they were. LOL, sorry about that. icon_smile.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

I am new enough to this to still be learning, BUT it is clear that the caches I have had to work hard to get to and find are the ones that are clearly treated best and have the best kept logs, etc.

The same is true backpacking, the hard to reach camping spots are the most charished/kept by the past packers.

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

I wish someone would enlighten me on this also-sometimes I do get e-mails from cachers who want to know what happened to there caches after I leave,because I cover them up too well.If you walk up to a cache site and you can see it from a 100' away than it's not covered up good.

I hate when I go to a cache of mine and it all expose or something is to large to fit in to the pod so it's left next to it for the world to see.

"Everything's Eventual"-Stephen King

"Maybe isn't a answer,only yes or no"-R.W.Blackburn

A few weeks ago. We didn't approach the cache from the obvious direction (walked further, but avoided a lot of mud) and were expanding our search out from ground zero. After a few minutes of searching, I came upon something unnatural that caught my eye. When I realized what I was looking at, I started laughing out loud. Then it REALLY sunk in what I was seeing, and my mood instantly turned disappointed. There on the ground in front of me, was a large arrow made of stones pointing to the cache. To say I felt cheated out of a find is an understatement. I made a vague reference to it in my log, not knowing if it was done by the cache hider or a seeker. The concerned cache owner emailed me right away, asking exactly what I had found. Seems he's found similar things at other caches of his. I've found caches exposed before, or with sticks sticking up out of the location, but never anything like this.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
here on the ground in front of me, was a large arrow made of stones pointing to the cache

I've heard of this before. Worse yet, I've heard of a few instances where someone actually flagged the route to the cache using plastic bags, or flagging tape.

Someone marked one of mine with flagging tape and they built a stone arrow at the point where you leave the trail. Dumb, really dumb.

Along the same lines, why do cachers get offended when you let them know that their signature is not appropriate. For one cacher, it was dog biscuits. For another it was apple spice scented candles. The latest one was Hershey kisses and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

I've seen an increased number of problems in logs recently. Almost every case was a newbie who had their first find on 12/25 or later. It's Santa Claus' fault!!!!!!

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

I have, on occasion, moved caches.

Yes. It was me.

I moved a teeny-tiny ammo box 3 feet away from the base of a tree where it was sitting out in the open after being discovered by non-cachers cleaning up the grounds. (I won't tell you where I put it. You have to find it.)

I moved another cache 5 feet that was sitting out in the open and pinned it under a pine branch. I couldn't see it standing 10 feet away from it.

Is this wrong?? To my mind, no. The point is to *seek* and if something's out in the open then what's the point? Additionally, a distance of five feet or less seems insignificant given that most (not all) GPS are accurate to 10' at best.

But, of course, if you disagree with me, be sure to say so! icon_biggrin.gif

I found a local cache once that was not covered at all. It was just a big tube lying in the open. Of course, it was chained to a tree and had a lock, so it wasn't going to get carried off without some work! Regardless, it kind of ruined the find for me, I didn't really have to look for it much at all. Needless to say, I covered it up with leaves and sticks and such. I wonder though if its location allows the cover to blow off, I noticed other logs for the cache where people mention that it wasn't covered well.

pokeanim3.gif

GeoVamp :

I love it when "Not Found" is listed right after I have rehid a cache!! icon_biggrin.gif

Even a couple of them before someone does find it, right where it was supposed to be. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

My theory is that if people who are looking for it - and supposedly know where it is - can

not find it, then nobody else will find it accidentally either!! icon_confused.gif

I am even working on wiping out my tracks - and any others I can find - and trying to

eradicate trails to and from the caches. icon_razz.gif

I also do not mind having to really hunt for a cache either. I was told many moons back

that if some one was smart enough to build a piece of equipment, I should be at least

smart enough to run it. I have applied that to cacheing. If someone is smart enough to

hide it, I should be smart enough to find it. As long as the right numbers are posted and

someone has not stolen the cache that is. icon_eek.gif

Now, if I can just get this hollow rock back out to that rockpit. icon_biggrin.gif

TTFRN, logscaler.

I tend to carry the cache about 250 feet away, generally in the area where "I think it should be". Once there, I'll try to mark it up as much as possible. I mean, if *I* thought it should be in this spot, others probably would, too. They future cacheers will probably be glad that I made such a mess around the area, so as not to spend too much time looking. Once, I found a cache near an orange traffic cone, so we placed the cache on top of a rock, and covered it with the cone.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:
Originally posted by Runaround:

Someone marked one of mine with flagging tape and they built a stone arrow at the point where you leave the trail. Dumb, really dumb.

Along the same lines, why do cachers get offended when you let them know that their signature is not appropriate. For one cacher, it was dog biscuits. For another it was apple spice scented candles. The latest one was Hershey kisses and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

I've seen an increased number of problems in logs recently. Almost every case was a newbie who had their first find on 12/25 or later. It's Santa Claus' fault!!!!!!

Now where did I park my car??????? http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/monkes.gif

Now why don't we find caches like that?

Actually we have found a few that were only hidden under a few sticks and resisted the urge to hide them in a better near by spot, always wondering if that is where the hider started the cache out.

I searched for almost an hour once and my gps unit said it was right there I couldn't find it finally I looked under the rock I was standing on and there it was.

The only cache I've placed so far was left uncovered. I was pissed but I guess that's why we should check them from time to time.

I like it when the person after me posts, the previous guy really hide the cache well I had a hard time finding it. For a second I even feel guilty. icon_biggrin.gif

I saw a photo on a cache page of a tree with a arrow painted on it and the words you found it!

quote:
Hey, in a country of lazy-assed people

Ok since I got mentioned in this thread I'll reply. I honetly think the majority of the time it's critters that move the cache around. Recently I found a cache in a remote area that had really been scattered. That happens in these parts a lot. I just put it back together and hid it where my gps said it belonged.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

I had a disguised cache that dangled overhead off the ground about 15 feet up. The name of the cache was JUST HANGING AROUND. This cache required the finder to either throw rocks at it to knock it down or make a pole out of a couple of walking sticks or make a noose with a rope so they could lasso it and pull it down or stand on someone's shoulders, etc...

The big problem? Every third cacher that visited would leave a ten foot pole (that they had to have hiked all over to find) right under the cache! I was really getting tired out going out to the cache site and removing the unwanted aids.

--- yrium ---

I went after this cache and when I got to the area someone had made a arrow pointing at the cache made out of bricks-well I found that one without my GPSR icon_biggrin.gif

When I got back home I e-mailed the owner-told them what happened and I got a e-mail back saying "I know I did that I thought I had hid it too well" so sometimes it the owner.

I also do not mind having to really hunt for a cache either. I was told many moons back

that if some one was smart enough to build a piece of equipment, I should be at least

smart enough to run it. I have applied that to cacheing. If someone is smart enough to

hide it, I should be smart enough to find it. As long as the right numbers are posted and

someone has not stolen the cache that is.Quote by Logscaler

Logscaler this is sooo true!!!!!!!!!!

"Everything's Eventual"-Stephen King

"Maybe isn't a answer,only yes or no"-R.W.Blackburn

[This message was edited by GeoVamp on January 14, 2003 at 05:37 PM.]

[This message was edited by GeoVamp on January 14, 2003 at 05:38 PM.]

I hunted a fairly tough multi, with lots of bushwacking. The hider's signature item was a turtle, and he built turtles of stone near each location, *swimming* toward the cache. Even with that seemingly obvious hint, the hiding spots still took some time to locate.

But this is the exception - while there have been a few where I was wishing for an arrow pointing the way icon_wink.gif, I appreciate the time and effort someone puts into hiding one especially well. I also try to rehide the cache according to its rating, and always make sure to hide my tracks, although that's pretty tough in the snow!

quote:
...The hider's signature item was a turtle, and he built turtles of stone near each location, *swimming* toward the cache....

That's different. If a cache owner wants to run an extension cord with a neon sign pointing to the cache, that is his business. But if I hide my cache well, I don't want someone else putting up a sign pointing to it.

and it was following an almost 3 mile hike! We kind of guessed from the cache description and rating that it wasn't supposed to be sitting in the open. And yes, it was a disappointment, we love the hunt! We rehid it in the area of ground zero (according to our GPS) and in a manner we thought fit the difficulty rating. E-mailed the owner indicating what we did and he replied saying it sounded like we put it right in his original hiding place. Still enjoyed the hike but do wish people would put a little effort into rehiding caches...

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoVamp:I hate when I go to a cache of mine and it all expose or something is to large to fit in to the pod so it's left next to it for the world to see.

Just went to check on my first cache that i had ever placed and 1...they did not put it under the ivy i had so you could stumble by it and see it, 2...they left a couple of trinkets out because it wouldn't fit...how hard is it to just take the trinket if it doesn't fit and how hard is it to cover it back up!

I am still a newbie at this but the funnest caches are the ones that took me a while to find, and then when you are about to give up, you find it! I always cover them back up if they are left out !

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...I am where I am suppose to be...At least I think so? [icon_biggrin.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by Runaround:

I personally would point the arrow in the wrong direction or tie the marking tape to something fifty feet off course! Just joking...I don't understand that either!

Darkmoon

No, I am not lost...I am where I am suppose to be...At least I think so? [icon_biggrin.gif]

I have hunted two caches where the hider purposely put up flagging tape around the cache. For one it was one small piece of flagging tape directly over the cache, but a few feet up in the bushes. On the other, it was in a circle of about a 15' radius, again, a few feet up in the trees. When we found the caches in the summer, the vegetation was so dense that we never would have found the caches without the flagging tape. In the winter I'm sure it will help those who will have to dig through 5 or 6 or more feet of snow. If the hiding spot is fairly obvious or has a giveaway hint, then flagging is not needed, but if the spot is completely overgrow in summer, or buried in winter, then a 10" piece of flagging can save a lot of time and frustration.

-Donna G