OT: Boiled Peanuts

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

My brother just came back from NC with several cans of boiled peanuts. He said they were popular southern snack. I tried them and thought they were deilcious.

What, he brought back boiled peanuts but no pork rinds? I'm not sure if they're a regional thing or not, but the two are usually found together at any wide spot at the side of the road in southern Appilachia, along with hand carved walking sticks and "dream catchers".

Personally, I'd eat eggplant before I'd try to swallow one of those slimy things icon_biggrin.gif

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

In Chicago you can find almost any food from anywhere at anytime. But for food that is regional, there's a nice selection http://www.tastesofchicago.com/index.asp. One legendary place is http://centerstage.net/restaurants/Bill.html where you can get the original cheeseburger! cheeseburger! chips no fries!

You had to bring up Eli's Cheesecake & Gold Coast Dogs! Too bad we can't get a TRUE Maxwell Street polish anymore...

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Too bad we can't get a TRUE Maxwell Street polish anymore...

Heh, yeah. Back in my younger days Maxwell Street was a favorite stop when you had the munchies after hours. Now I try to limit my fast food intake. Luckily there's lots of other choices.

I was awfully surprised when I found out that huckleberries were a regional food to the Inland Northwest. Anyway, if you want some interesting huckleberry products, there's a place in Elk River (a very tiny town) called Huckleberry Heaven that has the most huckleberry things I've ever seen. They've got syrup, chocolate, hard candies, barbecue sauce, lotion, and I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of what they had. The best thing is their huckleberry soft serve ice cream. I'm hoping to make a trip out to the Elk Butte Blister Rust Cache soon. Although the cache sounds great, the primary purpose of the trip would be a stop for huckleberry soft-serve along the way.

quote:

My brother just came back from NC with several cans of boiled peanuts.

<Homer> Mmmm.. boiled peanuts. </Homer Off>

I guess there is _something_ I miss about South Carolina after all.

Otherwise, the only two things that come to mind are slighty off topic, but still delicious and hard to find outside of specific areas.

1 (Domestic): Johnny's Pastrami - Culver City, CA. Johnnie's Pastrami

It's hard to stand out in a crowd with a mere pastrami sandwich, but this is bread and meat worth making a roadtrip for. Dru, you're local, care to back me up here? Other Los Angelenos may also recommend Tito's Tacos right next door.

2. (Foreign): Veriniki - Ukraine. The only Variniki-ish pic I could find

These can also be found in any area with a decent Slavic ex-pat community (I get mine in San Diego), but it's worth recognizing where they call home. Potato and cheese stuffing with some sauteed onions and sour cream on top.. mmmm. (Also called 'pirogi' or 'pelmini', depending on the country and filling. Basically the Slavic socio-food equivilent of ravioli.)

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

I was born in New Mexico of parents from New Jersey and Arkansas. I am attached to New Mexican foods. I miss them greatly when I am away. I know people who have food sent overnight Fed-Ex when relocated.

The following are the foods I like:

Pasole (Hominy Corn cooked in red chili)

Calabacitas (a zucchini, yellow squash and corn dish)

Green Chile (from Hatch New Mexico Only): We have it in everything. We can find it in bagels, pizza, burgers, at Mc Donald’s, Taco bell for extra and even at Sushi Bars.

I also love guacamole, bean burritos, and blue corn enchiladas.

Mr. A is from California and he misses the fish Tacos they have there. New Mexican food is different that Mexican.

My first observation of this thread was "Wow, no one gripeing or fighting". icon_eek.gif

One of my faves is Livermush. What's wierd is it taste nor smells anything like liver.

A lotta people like Ramps. I can't get past the smell on them.

Polk Sallet is popular with eggs.

Someone mentioned the hot grease & lettuce, people call that "Killed Lettuce".

It's just hard to beat a Livermush n' egg samich' icon_biggrin.gif

Speedies

I forgot about speedies. Kind of like sheesh-kabob (is that close, spelling-wise?), but in their own special marinade and usually served on bread.

Originated in Binghampton NY, but ths dish is served in many upstate eateries.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by CurlyKrakow:

1 (Domestic): Johnny's Pastrami - Culver City, CA. http://www.dailydiner.com/restaurant.cfm?location_id=447

It's hard to stand out in a crowd with a mere pastrami sandwich, but this is bread and meat worth making a roadtrip for. Dru, you're local, care to back me up here?

Never heard of it. But Tito's, Man, Oh, Man. That place is awesome. It takes me half of my lunch break from Venice to drive there and half to drive back to work, so I have about 30 seconds to order and get my food in between. That is no small feat for a restaurant that has a line down the block during daylight hours. I'll have to try your pastrami recommendation.

Speaking of pastrami. How about Oki-Dog? I'm not sure that it is regional, but I can hardly imagine anyone else in the world making one. A hot dog, refried beans, saurkraut, pastrami, all wrapped up burrito style in a tortilla. Ewww, but great for a hangover. icon_wink.gif

Oh, how about maple candy from Canada? I have only had it in Victoria, but I'm sure it is better on the East Coast. Melts in your mouth.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

Well, considering I live less than 4 miles from downtown New Orleans, I'm pretty spoiled with the food selection. Down here, we eat shrimp like most people eat popcorn, in copious amounts. Some regional favorites: The fried oyster/shrimp/catfish/softshelled crab po-boy sandwich, the famous "Red Beans and Rice", dirty rice, boiled crawfish, raw oysters, jambalaya, fried alligator tail, venison sausage, okra gumbo, stuffed mirlitons, and all of the other delicious dishes available in Louisiana, the "sportsman's paradise".

eyes.GIF

"Searching with my good eye closed"

I recall on a trip to Seattle a Russian storefront called My Little Pieroshki or something like that. They had all of these pieroshkis in the window and I had to try one. I ended up having 3 I think. My favorite was the salmon filled ones. It was essentially a filled pastry, many different flavors. I've really never seen them anywhere but Seattle. My last time out there I saw that the shop had branched out and also had a presence in the food courts of a mall or two. I also like the varenyky that CurlyKrakow mentioned, there's a Ukrainian church near me that sells them frozen to go.

Maryland crab. The tiny messy kind with Old Bay seasoning. Here in Seattle we have Alaskan crabs which are tasty, but not the same.

After pulling apart a dozen crabs for that small bit of meat you really begin to appreciate the work involved in a crab cake.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

Well, considering I live less than 4 miles from downtown New Orleans, I'm pretty spoiled with the food selection.

I was waiting for someone from Louisiana to brag with their food.icon_razz.gif We spent part of our honeymoon in NOLA and actually had our first Po'Boys in Metairie when visiting a close friend. NUMMY! Also the Central Grocery's Muffuletta sandwiches (Italian bread filled with layers of sliced Provolone, Genoa salami and Cappicola ham, topped with Olive Salad, a chopped mixture of green, unstuffed olives, pimientos, celery, garlic, cocktail onions, capers, oregano, parsley, olive oil, red-wine vinegar, salt and pepper) were something I never will forget. Actually I think we have to get back down to the Big Easy to have Muffulettas again before we die.icon_biggrin.gif

- From the shallow end of the gene pool. -

Another New Orleanian

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

I was waiting for someone from Louisiana to brag with their food.icon_razz.gif

Nothing beats a crawfish boil! Don't forget beignets and cafe au lait from Cafe Du Monde, or a roast beef poboy (with gravy driping to your elbows) from Cafe Maspero.

Or you could eat at any of the booths at Jazz Fest Mmmmm... crawfish bread, crawfish monica, crawfish bisque, geez I'm getting hungry! icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

_Another New Orleanian_

quote:

I was waiting for someone from Louisiana to brag with their food.icon_razz.gif

Don't forget beignets and cafe au lait from Cafe du Monde.

This is scary! I was just a second ago wondering with my wife what was the name of those fritters we ate with cafe au lait near the Central Grocery! And there you go writing about beignets!icon_biggrin.gif It's a small wonder we didn't gain any more weight during our visit. I miss also the Gumbo Shop gumbo...icon_razz.gif Ooh, I definitely need to go back to New Orleans! Now that I know about geocaching, I'd probably have lots of things to do during the next visit!icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

Oh, how about maple candy from Canada? I have only had it in Victoria, but I'm sure it is better on the East Coast. Melts in your mouth.

the maple candy your thinking about is a quebec creation. the stuff is so good you teeth rot just looking at it!!

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

Cincinatti's been mentioned several times, but Montgomery Inn ribs have not icon_confused.gif

I should also mention Mackinac Island Fudge. You can find it other palces, but it's ours.

Then there's Zehnder's chicken in Frankenmuth, which IMHO is incredibly overrated.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

Actually... I have just remembered a local dish - Chicken Kiev, which I am led to believe is a Victorian Creation.

It's the breast of chicken (bone still intact) with garlic butter inserted. The sort you buy at the local supermarket won't have the bone, but this is the only way to eat it!

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Someone mentioned Runzas... in central Kansas, my cousins used to get a cabbage and beef roll called "Bieroch"... been many years since I got that one! Also, if you go down I-35 in Texas, be sure to stop in at West, Texas.. a czech community. At the Shell station, they have a czech bakery attached and sell all sorts of czech goodies. The must buy is a sausage, swiss cheese, and sauerkraut roll called a koblosnic. I thought my husband was crazy when he got one for breakfast, but when I had a taste of his, I had to go back and get one myself. Now that is the traditional stop when we travel. We also pick up plenty of their other offerings of fruit or poppyseed kolaches. What a delicious stop!

Ok, it wouldn't be right if a Cheesehead didn't jump in here and brag about cheesecurds... But they gotta be deep fried and served in a basket.

Plus whenever we visit my sister in Michigan, or she visits us, she always hooks us up with a huge jar of pickled bologna.

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

I live in Pittsburgh which has an interesting culinary tradition French Fies put on steak salads. It's actually quite good. They put french fries into sandwiches too, its called a Permantti bros sandwich, its only good at 2 am when bars close.

I'm originally from WI which is the only place to true frozen custard and bratwurst.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

Road Kill Stew.

But all seriousness aside, Notice how popular tastes change over time? I can remember growing up in southern California and the cut of beef now called 'tri-tip' was considered trash meat. No one ate it. The butcher could only sell it as dog scraps for pennies a pound.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

Exactly...When I was growing up here in West Texas"Skirt Steak" was the cheapest cut of meat on the block, till the popularity of Fajitas went through the roof..now you pay a fortune for it. Fajitas are great when marinated properly...we like ours with guacamole and pico de gallo..

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

quote:
Originally posted by CurlyKrakow:

1 (Domestic): Johnny's Pastrami - Culver City, CA. Johnnie's

It's hard to stand out in a crowd with a mere pastrami sandwich, but this is bread and meat worth making a roadtrip for. Dru, you're local, care to back me up here?

Never heard of it. But Tito's, Man, Oh, Man. That place is awesome.

Dru,

You know when you're looking for parking behind Tito's and you're tempted to park in that other lot connected by the alley? That's Johnnie's! (not the other Mex place on the corner, the store front would be on the cross street). They're on the same block. You really must have been hustling back to work to have never seen the sign while cursing the small parking lots they're both hamstrung with. icon_wink.gif

You'll never be so happy to pay $7 for a sandwich in your life. And the pickles are free!

CK

--

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

Actually... I have just remembered a local dish - Chicken Kiev, which I am led to believe is a Victorian Creation.

It's the breast of chicken (bone still intact) with garlic butter inserted. The sort you buy at the local supermarket won't have the bone, but this is the only way to eat it!

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/soapbox.gif

Made me curious, since I once passed on eating Chicken Kiev while in Kiev! Just below here in fact, on Anriyivsky Uzviz while trinket shopping.

The History of "Chicken Kiev"

Granted, this is still the 'internet knowledge'..

For anyone else interested, Kiev is an amazing 'Old European Place' {tm}, for about 1/4 the price of the normal Western European tourist destinations. Of course, it takes a little bit more of the adventurer/nomad mentality to enjoy.. but if you're already a geocacher, you'll probably be just fine.

Also: [WARNING - grammatical tangent ahead!], it's just "Ukraine" - there's no 'the' prefacing it. It is not a plural ("The British Isles" or "The United United States") or a region ("The Wild West"), it's an independant country. You don't say "the England" or "the France", do you? icon_wink.gif

CK

--

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

My Little Pieroshki or something like that. They had all of these pieroshkis in the window and I had to try one. I ended up having 3 I think.

Love them. We have them at all our state fair grounds too. I have had something similar though. The Chinese have something call Hum-Bow. Very much the same thing. If you have a China town near you you my find some there.

Other fair ground foods are scones, soft pastries with berry jam in them. Broiled turkey legs. Walk by their stand and your likely to see kids sitting around gnawing on bones like dogs.[icon_biggrin.gif]

The most distinct North West food is Native roasted Salmon. There is no other way to cook salmon, over an open alder fire pit. Mmmm

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

I never go back to Rhode Island without stopping for clam cakes, A delectible morsel made of batter and clams, fried into ball shaped fritters with handles, served with tartar sauce. And of course, in New England we have choices: New England Clam Chowder (the white), Manhattan Clam Chowder (the red), and Rhode Island Clam Chowder (the broth).

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

I'm amazed at how many of theses I've tried.

So, here's some that got left out somehow: (in no order)

Shoe Fly Pie, Lancaster PA

Jam Twisters, West Virginia

Formage et Blanc, France

Kielbasa, Elizabeth? New Jersey

Whatever that fruit was in Colombia

Tito, Colombia

Caviar, Karlstad, Sweden

Soft Shell Crab, Chesapeake Bay

Fiddleheads, Maine

How about a list of real delicacies, you know, the ones that locals eat but are just not edible?

There is a dish that originated here in Springfield, Illinois at a local bar and now most restaurants here in town serve it, it’s called a horseshoe. The horseshoe is a toasted bun layed open on the plate with two hamburger patties on each one, then this is covered with french fries and topped off with a melted cheese sauce poured over the whole thing. The hamburger can also be substituted with various other meats such as buffalo chicken, roast beef or just about any meat you would like. So this is one of my favorites and only served here at home.

quote:
Originally posted by TAT:

How about a list of real delicacies, you know, the ones that locals eat but are just not edible?

Don't ask. Mike and I have like to try a lot of unusual foods. Some of them turn out to be less than pleasant experiences.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

quote:

I had a jellyfish salad when in Hong Kong and actually liked it. My wife and daughter wouldn't

touch theirs, so I ate theirs too.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by TAT:

Many people have considered Black Sausage and Finnish Easter pudding I mentioned in my earlier post as such inedible delicacies.icon_biggrin.gif

Ahh, now I remember one: Czech beer cheese, pivni syr, which I had last summer in Prague. The waitress brought a little basket full of bread slices, and a saucer with chopped onion, butter, mustard and beer cheese (with some paprika powder on it). I was about to make a sandwich of those ingredients, but the Czech friends showed me the correct way: you mash all the ingredients into pulp with a fork, then pour some beer on it and mix it in. That's when the smell began.icon_eek.gif Then you spread the stinking pulp on the bread slice, and eat it with beer.

The smell was horrible and the taste resembled gastric acid, but somehow I liked it.icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I went to Korea to kick off a major project. The Koreans are wonderful, group oriented people. They have many traditions that create friendly bonds between people, and meals are one of the most important. In fact, it's rare to eat alone, and typically, there are few things on the menu that are not made to be shared.

So, when our customer offered to take us to a sushi place, I was excited. I love sushi. At first, I was very curious about everything that came out. Until, they said the one I just ate was "some kind of raw bug". When they saw my expression, they quickly corrected, "some kind of raw bud". After that, I didn't ask.

Part of bonding is to pass a fear factor test. Toward the end of the meal, the geisha girl brought out a mellow wrapped in moist towels. Our host told us that this was a traditional Korean drink that is shared between everyone. I was lucky and got the first sip and passed it along. As the melon got around the table, the towels started to turn red and the "drink" became more gelatinous. It wasn't a melon, it was a raw fish eye! Probably tuna.

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

Michigan has its pasties.

We always had these in Wisconsin...when I was a kid they had roadside stands that sold them. My mom still makes a batch each year for my dad's birthday. Mmm they are good with ketchup! icon_wink.gif

Sorry, I can't get past the appearance of boiled peanuts. It looked to me like a steaming bowl of umm cat box material icon_confused.gif

We used to live in Hawaii and I fell in love with a back street deli that sold both chili and beef stew on sticky rice. Oh it was good that way!

In Louisville, our weirdo food is fried pickles. They are um interesting. Also "Mint Julips" which I had the misfortune to vend one Derby. The ingredients are ice, Jim Beam, mint twig.

I'm not entirely a 'homebody', but I don't often get out of NJ, so I guess I'm a little biased.

However, many of food-shacks at the NJ shore always make me think they're fairly regional. Of course, one can get a gyro at any diner, but for some reason, it tastes so much better in 95 degree heat, feeling your sneakers adhere to the blacktop, and trying to eat it without making a mess.

Which leads to the next NJ shore delicacy, funnel cakes. Same, you can find them anywhere, but I think it's just the experience.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

In Belize, the delicacy is a medium sized rodent. I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but it is nicknamed the "royal rat" because the Queen ate it when she visited. Anyway, I had a stew made of it. Guess what? It didn't taste like chicken! Instead, it tasted more like roast beef.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

My brother just came back from NC with several cans of boiled peanuts. He said they were popular southern snack. I tried them and thought they were deilcious.

So it got me to wondering about the other kinds of great regional foods out there. In NJ we have Taylor Ham, Texas weiners (how'd they get that name?) and Italian hot dogs. In New England, there are lobster rolls and in northern Maine there is a concoction called poutine. In parts of the south, I remember eating biscuts with red-eye gravy. [edit] And how could I forget Speedies? The dish invented and pretty much limited to Binghampton NY and the surrounding area.

So what is your favorite regional food and by that I mean something you grew up with; can't do without and can't find outside your home state or region...

I'm a native Alabamian, but my wife is from NYC. In visiting the inlaws in NYC, I've become addicted to knishes -- the street-cart vendor type, not the deli ones. Those are great! The other thing I can't get enough of up there are the almonds from the "Nuts 4 Nuts" vendor carts. I always stock up when I head that way!

Personally, I can't stand boiled peanuts -- roasted, on the other hand, are among my faves. I'd have to say the best local-variety snack of mine is honest-to-God old-church-lady made PEANUT BRITTLE.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

[This message was edited by joefrog on May 06, 2003 at 09:43 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Bender:

Come to Sedalia,MO. stop in at the Wheel Inn drive in and try a goober burger! Right on the corner of 50 and 65. People come from miles around to have these things. Me loves them very much!

I'm from UT and have had a burger from that joint. Nasty looking but real good!

Where you all at? violent-smiley-081.gif

I almost forgot. Also in the Buffalo area, there's a little diner called Curt's. Order the curly fries. After you order, they take a big fresh potato and send it through the hand-cranked cutter. Then they put it into an almost-too-small frier basket and cook it up. In no time, you're served the yummiest order of curly fries ever. If you have any room left, get a banana split.

quote:

Also the Central Grocery's Muffuletta sandwiches (Italian bread filled with layers of sliced Provolone, Genoa salami and Cappicola ham, topped with Olive Salad, a chopped mixture of green, unstuffed olives, pimientos, celery, garlic, cocktail onions, capers, oregano, parsley, olive oil, red-wine vinegar, salt and pepper) were something I never will forget. Actually I think we have to get back down to the Big Easy to have Muffulettas again before we die.icon_biggrin.gif

This thread made me crave for Muffulettas so much that I actually looked up the recipe in the net and tonight me and my wife ate some pretty good home-made Muffuletta with good Italian wine watching Pine Barrens, probably the best Sopranos episode so far.icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

LOL, just noticed there's at least 3 geocaches in Pine Barrens, NJ. Wonder if Chris and Paulie stumbled past any of those.icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

If it hasn't been mentioned, don't forget the conch fritters from the Florida Keys -- can't be missed if you visit down there!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

native north carolinian here. sorry, but i can't stand boiled peanuts. they are just too slimy for my tastes. a coworker of mine who is a native of ontario always brings back maple cookies for the unit to enjoy when she goes back to canada for a visit. they are great! hungry just thinking about them. -harry