OT: Boiled Peanuts

My brother just came back from NC with several cans of boiled peanuts. He said they were popular southern snack. I tried them and thought they were deilcious.

So it got me to wondering about the other kinds of great regional foods out there. In NJ we have Taylor Ham, Texas weiners (how'd they get that name?) and Italian hot dogs. In New England, there are lobster rolls and in northern Maine there is a concoction called poutine. In parts of the south, I remember eating biscuts with red-eye gravy. [edit] And how could I forget Speedies? The dish invented and pretty much limited to Binghampton NY and the surrounding area.

So what is your favorite regional food and by that I mean something you grew up with; can't do without and can't find outside your home state or region...

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 02, 2003 at 07:49 PM.]

While I'm bouncing through the threads, I have decided to give my input....

Fresh garden lettuce and green onions...

Gather your lettuce and onion greens in a bowl....

Then boil some kind of meat grease (preferably bacon grease) and pour it over the lettuce and onion greens until they wilt.

Great side dish, but not healthy for the arteries!!

I'm sure there are others who have a name for this dish, but I call it "Hot grease on lettuce and onions" icon_smile.gif

I've never been that crazy about Finnish traditional foods, I prefer traditional foods from mainly other countries...icon_wink.gif However, I've always liked karjalanpiirakka, Karelian pastys, which are visible on the bottom of the picture. The design of these delicious-with-butter-when-hot pastys has always fascinated me.icon_rolleyes.gif Notice also TB Toast on the left plate: 173490_200.jpg

Then, there's mämmi, Finnish Easter pudding. The food of which some foreigner asked: Do I eat this, or did I eat this?! Delectable with cream and sugar:

easter3.jpg

Another infamously revolting-looking food is mustamakkara, black sausage. Luscious with cold milk and lingonberry sauce:

tmusta.jpg

- From the shallow end of the gene pool. -

With the number of Native American tribes in Arizona, we have a lot of interesting dishes. Mike loves mutton stew. We both like blue corn mush (think blue cream of wheat), piki bread (a thin parchment like bread) and posole (a stew). For a snack, parched corn. It's kind of like corn nuts. We love eating ethnic foods.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

I'll second Opey One's vote for scalded lettuce and onions! Especially when served with a big fried catfish fillet!

Other local favorites are Biscuits & Gravy (of course), Fried chicken, Ramps, October beans & cornbread, Crawdads (that's crayfish to some of y'all), Tomato Preserves, Peanut Butter Pie, Apple Butter, Sweet Ice Tea, and last but not least ... the food that Virginia is world famous for .... Virginia Smoked Ham, nobody does it better!

oops ... almost forgot, We're kinda famous for our corn too. In liquid distilled form. icon_wink.gif

--------------

Changing some folks mind, is like trying to herd cats.

55883_200.gif

English regional food is a bit bland for my tastes, I tend to prefer something a little more exciting. Unfortunately, more of our taste options revolve around the condiments - Ketchup, or Mustard.

That said, however, Black Pudding (very similar to Divine's Black Sausage) is delicious, and makes me feel peckish just thinking about it.

The other week I found a recipe for Spaghetti Bolognase made with Marsala sauce and chicken liver, which was gorgeous - not really regional as such, but very nice all the same!

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

...In New England, there are lobster rolls and in northern Maine there is a concoction called poutine...

Ok now, you went a little too far on that one. Poutine comes from Canada, don't be crediting Maine with something of the likes of poutine! Obviously you got it from some transplants who crossed the border...

Money doesn't grow on trees, but there is cache in the woods.

quote:
Ok now, you went a little too far on that one. Poutine comes from Canada, don't be crediting Maine with something of the likes of poutine! Obviously you got it from some transplants who crossed the border...

It may be from Canada, but I first had it in Maine. Every eatery had it on their menu and even the McDonalds served it! I wish I could say it was delicious, but boiled peanuts it ain't.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

A very few boiled peanuts go a long long way. Believe me the regular kind are much better. I learned how to make an open faced sandwich called a Gangway. It's ingrediants are:

1/2 English Muffin

Bacon

Crunchy Peanut butter

1 thick slice beefsteak tomato

1 slice cheddar cheese.

Lemme know if you want to know how to make it.

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

BrianSnat, you feast regularly on those decadent deli sandwiches, yet you like boiled peanuts? Weird. I find them nasty.

Michigan has its pasties. Sort of a handheld pot pie but less saucy. They're most popular in the Upper Penninsula, and looking at Divine's post, I wonder if the Finns didn't bring them over (big Scandanavian pop. up there). Good hiking food, too; miners up there used to carry them for their lunches. Like a hearty, slop-free sandwich.

Oh, and we're also home of the Vernors Burp (Vernors Ginger Ale).

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

It's fun not only hearing of regionally favorite food but just how the locals say their names. In this area there are perogis. Also apple butter on cottage cheese call shmeer kasse (or "smear case").

My father and mother in-law (a southern belle) are constantly counseling us on just how to say "boiled" peanuts. It comes off sounding like "bold" as opposed to "boyld".

[This message was edited by rgbisme on May 02, 2003 at 05:27 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by opey one:

While I'm bouncing through the threads, I have decided to give my input....

Fresh garden lettuce and green onions...

Gather your lettuce and onion greens in a bowl....

Then boil some kind of meat grease (preferably bacon grease) and pour it over the lettuce and onion greens until they wilt.

Great side dish, but not healthy for the arteries!!

I'm sure there are others who have a name for this dish, but I call it "Hot grease on lettuce and onions" icon_smile.gif

'round here we call that wilted lettuce. we also do the same with spinach(wilted spinach). i love both versions. bacon grease is the best for them!

join.gif

Click to subscribe to ozmtngeocachers

if you cache it, they will come.

Don't know about local dishes, we have so much here in El Paso, it is too much to type. But I thought I would share some of my wife's (German) recipes with you. This is all done on a charcoal grill, usually on a picnic in our local state park.

The meat doesn't matter. It might be big T-bones, or hot dogs. It is all good outdoors.

One of her specialties is roast onions. She takes a small to medium whole yellow onion, peels it, then slices it almost through in 1/4s. Then in the cut, she stuffs in a slice of Jalapeno pepper, or green chili pepper, and a slice of butter. Then she wraps it in foil, and throws it on the coals. Let it steam till it is tender, and eat.

Another is roast corn. Take fresh corn on the cob, still in the husk. Trim off the top of the husk, and soak a few hours in fresh water. Remove from the water, shake off the excess, and set them on the grill a few inches above the coals. Let them steam until done. To serve, peel back but do not remove the husk. Use it for a handle. Careful, steam can be well above 212 deg F! (100 deg C) Slap on plenty of butter, and salt to taste.

Mmmmmmmm... I feel a picnic coming on this weekend.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

EDIT: spelling errors.

[This message was edited by Desert_Warrior on May 02, 2003 at 11:15 AM.]

Chicago is known for food that is just wonderful for your heart. Just think of "Da Bears Fans" from the SNL skit.

Italian beef sandwiches. Try to order one of these outside the Chicago area and you get a French Dip. NOT the same. Portillo's ships nationwide if you want a taste.

Deep dish pizza. 'Nuff said.

Now I'm hungry....when's lunch?

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

...In New England, there are lobster rolls and in northern Maine there is a concoction called poutine...

_Money doesn't grow on trees, but there is cache in the woods._

there ar 2 types of poutine. first is the 'amercianized' version that has only cheddar/mozzarella cheese, then there is the real stuff that has cheese curds. in any event i think it was orginally a french-european dish imported into quebec and only recently has spread to english canada.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

Road Kill Stew.

But all seriousness aside, Notice how popular tastes change over time? I can remember growing up in southern California and the cut of beef now called 'tri-tip' was considered trash meat. No one ate it. The butcher could only sell it as dog scraps for pennies a pound.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

Yummy, DW! Of course, they ought to be griled in this grill[/url].

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, _Spring_

A bit aside from the topic..... but we once took a 30 cal ammo can, punched a hole in the side, installed an N-connector, soldered a specific length wire loop to the connector inside the can, and it is done.

What was it? Well, when connected to the coax cable feeding the antenna of a ground survailence radar, it was a field microwave oven. How is that for hi-tech??? icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Every September the Rock Creek Bar holds it's Testicle Festival, with fried Rocky Mountain Oysters. They taste kinda like chicken fried steak. And you don't want to get them at the end of the festival since they don't change the fry oil all weekend!

And Butte, MT has Pasties!

And Missoula has a ton of Microbreweries! Moose Drool, Fat Tire Ale, Slow Elk, Powder Hound,and Scape Goat are just a few of the names. And who can forget Olde Bongwater! (Not sure if that is a micro, or just someone's idea of a bad joke but folks drink it!) icon_smile.gif

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

I grew up in Kentucky and lived in Indiana for a while, too. One food that I miss now that I live in the South is Cincinnati style chili (Skyline, to be more precise).

We still have family up in KY, so whenever we're there, we usually pick up some Skyline fixin's at the Krogers to bring back South with us.

My college roommate was from Cincinnati and took me to the original Skyline restaurant one time.

Skyline Chili is Awesome! I got addicted while working there for 2 weeks, and brought some seasoning mixs before I left so I could let folks in MT try it. It is my special occasion recipe now!

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

From an earlier post, I saw a documentary on Runzas. I have wanted to try one ever since.

But, here in Southern California, we have so many things to eat that you can't get anywhere else.

Chili cheese burgers are only done right here in Los Angeles. Tommy's being the king of that genre. If chili is not your thing, the best hamburger is In and Out. I have heard of people catching a plane to Los Angeles just to get one.

Fish tacos are a great regional food. They started in San Diego, but in the last few years have migrated up the coast a bit so you can get a decent one here in Los Angeles. If you've never had one, it can sound pretty weird, but believe me, they are the best.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

Wow, a documentary on Runzas? I had no idea, but I could see that. It is a family run cafe makes it big with new food item sort of story.

As for fish tacos, there is a small town North of me in Nebraska that serves them. I keep meaning to get up there and check it out.

pokeanim3.gif

Since 'Snat also posted this same topic in the NE forums by mistake, heres my reply from there:

quote:
ight on the money with Taylor ham/pork roll. Most people outside of NJ/Phili have never even heard of it.

Since I'm a junkfood junkie, I'll add White Castle for around here, and In-N-Out burgers for the Cali people that won't read this. Shoneys for breakfast anywhere BUT NJ it seems.

Also, as far as soda goes:

Mello Yello. For some #@$$@ reason coke thinks our area is too hip and upscale for Mello Yello, and instead offer us Surge.

Yes Dru, we do have a few places that make chili cheeseburgers in NJ. Even better (and rarer) Are what we call THCBs. Taylor Ham and Cheese Burgers.

Grill up a few slices of Taylor Ham (pork roll) and layer it on the burger alternating with slices of cheese. MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Taco truck tacos....

http://www.jetpack.com/marcbrown/04-27_misc/tacotruck.html

open late, and made fresh. Beware, not all taco trucks are the same. Ask the locals, they'll know where to go.

Often found in industrial parts of town, near railroad tracks, in empty lots. But once a truck finds a spot with steady customers, it's sure to stay there.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

Crabs and spaghetti.

Hot Belgium waffles with ice cream. (Must be eaten on the Boardwalk to fully appreciate.)

Tastykakes. (I prefer mine with Pepsi, not the traditional K&A breakfast with an Orange Crush.)

Boost (Take-A-Tost, not that diet stuff.)

Anything cranberry.

I can't stand boiled peanuts. A big thing around here are oyster roasts. Can't stand them, makes me think I'm eating pluff mud. Boiled shrimp, I like, but your looked down upon if you don't eat your oysters. So, sue me, I don't shag, either.

Eggs over medium with grits, sausage gravy over buttermilk biscuits, fried chicken are some of my favorite Southern dishes. But I like Americanized Italian food and Tex-Mex, as well.

And don't even attempt to get between me and my wife's meatloaf!

CR

72057_2000.gif

This is a great topic. Ok,...

Runzas. I can't find the link to the name of the show. It was on the food channel, I'm pretty sure.

Chili cheese outside of Los Angeles? I think we need to figure out how to settle a challenge here.

Also, I wouldn't trust fish tacos, or any other fish in a town not on the coast.

I followed the Grateful Dead for 5 years and did some extensive travelling of this country. I have eaten many 'regional foods' just to say I did. Even when I was a vegetarian, I would eat some meat if it was special.

Here are some that I remember.

Cour d'alane, Idaho - Huckleberries

North Carolina - some type of cured ham that tasted like gasoline

St. Louis, MO - a 30 square block area that was all Italian food. The one place I decided upon had what amounted to white bread with ketchup on it trying to pass for a pasta dish.

San Francisco - Obvious, sourdough bread bowl with clam chowder... not so obvious, High Tech Burrito (actually in Marin)

Hawaii - Leanard's Bakery - malasadas, li hing mui, bento lunches or most japanese food. (actually, most Hawaiian food is tough to find on the mainland)

Florida - This is where I remember the boiled peanuts sold on the side of the road.

Los Angeles (and most likely NY) good deli food. Canter's deli for a pastrami sandwich and a kosher pickle.

Oklahoma - The word "deli" but it means fried chicken livers sold on the counter at the 7-11

east of the Mississippi they had 'mush' which is, I guess, deep fried grits. Pretty tasty.

Amarillo, TX - Home of the free 72 ounce steak (if eaten in one hour) a favorite stop. I had rattlesnake last time I was there.

Portland and Seattle, I had a bunch of Jalapeno jellies and jams, though I bet they are available all over.

Victoria, Canada - Every restaurant had an extensive martini list. Everything from 007 style to chocolate. Mmmm

Vegas, used to be all bad, but now most regional chains in Los Angeles have franchised there. California Pizza Kitchen is a good example.

Man, I seem to have such good memories about all the cities based on the regional foods that you can only get there. Thanks for starting this topic.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

Breakfast burritos at real Mexican bakeries/restaurants (not Sonic or Taco Bell). And for those who worked at a certain Indian Health Service hospital in northern Arizona, burritos from the Burrito Lady.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

GUMBO!!!

I married a cheesehead and his regional favorites seem to be anything with cream of something soup, but when I get homesick- nothing beats a big pot of chicken and sausage gumbo, even if you can't find the andouille to put in it. I keep a stash of file' in my freezer to make it real.

My half/yankee kid, a truly picky eater, shows her cajun side when she asks for black-eyed peas with pickled pork (smuggled up from the Winn-Dixie next to the gulf coast shrimp I bought from the guy on the side of the road by the bayou) and my babysitter has been paid in King Cake for her Jan. 6th birthday for the last 7 years straight.

My hips can attest to the fact that I soothe my heart through my mouth. icon_biggrin.gif

Charlotte of bloomcru

quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:

I grew up in Kentucky and lived in Indiana for a while, too. One food that I miss now that I live in the South is Cincinnati style chili (Skyline, to be more precise).

We still have family up in KY, so whenever we're there, we usually pick up some Skyline fixin's at the Krogers to bring back South with us.

My college roommate was from Cincinnati and took me to the original Skyline restaurant one time.

If I'm not badly mistaken I've had Skyline in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Long way from Cincinatti.

Mike

Maple Bars - All over out in the Great Northwest, since I moved to NY... never seen one. Think of glazed dougnut dough and coating in a rectangle shape about 2.5"-3" by 7"-8" and about an inch thick. Now pour the maple frosting over the entire top. I know, I know, they have maple coated doughnuts - it's just NOT the same.

On the other hand, since moving here I sure can't stomach a bagel anywhere else (that includes Jersey ;-)

dadgum hard to find a good fresh strong cup of NW style coffee out here also (though getting a little easier all the time). And don't even get me started on the first time I ordered coffee in a deli out here and when they asked "regular?" I replied "yes" thinking it was the same meaning as out West (good ole caffenated regular coffee) - yuuuuck!

Not to start a war, but Cincinnati chili, ain't chili. No real chili has cinnamon, or chocolate in it. And definitely not rice. Call it anything you please, but it isn't chili.

And NJ bagels blow away most NYC bagels. Sorry Julia. But it's the water. NYC water comes from the Catskill Mtns. It's pure and clean. You can't make real bagels from that. You need Passaic River water.