Plastic Sacks and Cache Containers

I amended my previous post, as I agree that it was a bit over the top.

As far as hiding caches so that a non cacher will absoultely not be able to find it, that's tough. Someone might stumble upon any cache, whether its 10, 100, or 200 years from now. You can however make it extremely unlikely that a non geocacher will find the cache. I have about 2 dozen caches planted and I know some are vulnerable to being accidently found, while others will probably never be found without the use of this website.

I can't provide any hiding lesson beyond common sense. If you don't want a cache to be accidently discovered, do not hide it in an area frequented by people and be sure to hide it well.

Even in a popular park, you can usually find an out of the way spot that nobody would venture to without a good reason (like looking for your cache). But because it's out of the way, doesn't mean you can leave the cache un-concealed,

or poorly concealed. It still must be well hidden.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on June 04, 2002 at 04:45 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Gloom:

Regarding your thoughts that if we don't want caches to be found, then we should hide them better, you're right, a lot of caches I've seen could be hidden better. But the fact remains, people who are not geocachers are going to find caches no matter how well they are hidden. I seriously doubt that any cache out there could not be found by a non-geocacher if they got lucky. It's just a matter of time. But I'm glad you seem to think hiding them so no one else can find them is 'Very Simple.' Since you think so, can you please give me and everyone else a lesson on how to PROPERLY hide a cache? I'd be interested in seeing how it's done.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

I'm not sure why people have such a hard time hiding a cache. Caches around here are hidden so well that it can take 2 or 3 trips to the same spot just to find it. And I know there is one in the area.

Now up in Sacramento, CA, near the American River there are a series of caches that could easily be stumbled upon. They consists of these HUGE containers. I'd say you could put a case of bear in these rubbermaid containers. There are not far off the main trail and are nice a blue and stick out easily....

but it is extremely easy to hide a 1-2 quart size container. Up a tree, in a hole, under a bush, just as long as you get far enough off the main trail, very few people will happen to walk that way.

People are LAZY, they stick to trails most of the time. And they generally don't go rooting through bushes and shrubs unless they're looking for something.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

So where does one buy a case of bear anyway?

Now if a cache contained a case of beer, I would most certainly be guilty of trading down:

"Took the case of beer, left an empty ink pen."

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

[This message was edited by Runaround on June 04, 2002 at 09:38 AM.]

Not many plastic bag coverings up here(they seem like a pain), in fact there's a fair share of ammo boxes, but most of the containers look like this, Cylindrical 4 inch diameter PVC of varying lengths, or "Cliffy" tubes(grin).

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/18486_200.jpg

I covered my last one in a skirt of cammo netting. MattandLaura, that pic of the plant/bush is GREAT! I'm going to have to borrow that idea!

Speaking of plastic bags, I read a log recently of a local cache where one lucky cacher stumbled upon a plastic bag of dog poop, thinking it was the cache(yikes).

Cheers!

[This message was edited by Zartimus on June 04, 2002 at 10:13 AM.]

use url_of_image where the angle brackets '<' and '>' are replaced with square brackets '[' and ']'. I had to do it that way otherwise it'd think I was actually posting an image.

-Gloom

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

quote:
Originally posted by Runaround:

So where does one buy a case of bear anyway?

Now if a cache contained a case of beer, I would most certainly be guilty of trading down:

"Took the case of beer, left an empty ink pen."

Now where did I park my car??????? http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/monkes.gif

[This message was edited by Runaround on June 04, 2002 at 09:38 AM.]

There is no built in spell checker yet? What's up with that. And I'm a paying member.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

I think that dreaming up new cache containers is half the fun of placing them.

For example: Ace hardware has plastic irrigation control valve boxes for less than $20. That would be a great way to hide a cache in plain sight because most people don't mess with them. The PVC pipe idea is one I've been toying with too.

Garbage bags are for garbage!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

well, not always.I spotted this cache from a distance specifically BECAUSE it was in a black garbage bag. Stood out real nice against the beautiful colors of the forest.

Caching with a 5 year old: takes twice as long, and is twice as satisifying (or aggrevating depending on your POV)

The faster you go, the worse your reception is.

I always carry a roll of fresh black garbage bags in my backpack and have replaced many that have fallen apart or are soaked and soggy. "Cache in, Trash out"!!

Also, I usually have a cache or two in my car that I'm trying to find a good spot for. Hence, I've actually had to replace a cache that in a very cool place, very fun to do, but the cache was ruined by water. I contacted the cache owner and asked if it was ok if I did replace it, which was fine.

Just a courtesy to the sport I enjoy so much!

-missnomer

Entropy in Motion

It's ironic that I was watching this discussion this week. I visited a place where I have a cache hiden, not to check the cache but because I wanted pictures of the area it was in. I figured might as well check the cache. Found the cache had gotten water in it, so I figured I'd come back with some ziplocs & bag everything. When I came back I discovered I somehow missed the hole in the top. (I'm blind obviously) I had just earlier that day remember that there was a surplus military store near me (S-4 in Hackensack, NJ) They had the 3 inch cannisters for $5 & 6 inch for $6. bought 3. I went back to my car & replaced the cache container. I will NEVER go for the cheap container ever again. I personally like anything with a screw top container, Peanut buttle jars and jelly jars make for excellent (if someone small) containers...

Caching with a 5 year old: takes twice as long, and is twice as satisifying (or aggrevating depending on your POV)

The faster you go, the worse your reception is.

I just did 6 caches in SE Mississippi this week and NONE were wrapped in plastic bags! I was pleasantly shocked. Half were Rubbermaid containers and half were ammo boxes. Hopefully, the baggie trend in the west half of the state will soon fade away too.

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

Excellent Cache. I am new to Geocaching and haven't actually gotten out to search yet. For now I have been reading up on as much as I can before I search for the first cache. Things have been a little busy lately. Another thing I have been doing is thinking of several ideas that I have had for caches to place. Reading some of the cache clues and what people have said here on this group, I am getting a lot of great ideas. Mostly normal caches but, as a photographer, I have a big box of old film containers to get rid of. I am starting to think that maybe a combination of micros and one big one would be kind of fun. I have to actually do some caching though to figure out where and how to hide such a series of caches.

Anyways, your photo is almost exactly what I have envisioned. I have a couple of questions. First how big was that(length). Second what did you use for the bottom. Is that just an end cap?

I was thinking of using aquarium sealer to affix a piece of plexiglass into the bottom of the pipe so that it can be looked into. Your photo is a prime example of why. That thing looks pretty ominous. I would hate to hear on the news that the county had to call in a haz mat or bomb squad to destroy my cache. I am still trying to figure how to add the clear bottom.

I was just at Home Depot this afternoon and they had plenty of the cleanout parts and joiners... but they didn't have the 4" pipe. From my estimate of what I saw, for a 12" to 15" capsule you might be talking about $10 cost to construct. Is that very far off? The fittings and other parts, I noticed, seemed to be from 2 to $5 each. There are, I think 3 different fittings that are needed. I figure I could buy a 10' piece and have it cut to 12 or 15" pieces. Then buy the other parts as needed. According to my math, that would allow for 8 capsules. 7 or 6 if I need to sacrifice a couple for some other smaller parts.

Lastly, I want to compliment the artist on the paint job. That is real cool. I thought of trying to do the same thing but I don't think I have the artistic skill to do it effectively. I was thinking a more simple kind of design.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

You cache container looks fantastic. I like it and I think it'd be dirt cheap to make. Thanks.

Oh I reposted your pic, didn't turn out...

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/18486_200.jpg

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

This is on the borderline of being another one of those "I don't like the way sompe people cache" threads.

Ammo cans are not as easily come by in all parts of the world as they are in the US. Nor are the parks in all the world as ideal for hiding them.

And even in the US, sometimes a Tupperware box is the right choice for a cache. It's at the cacher's discretion. But they do leak from time to time. I've run across damp caches, and given the choice between touching a wet bag and opening a box to the smell of mouldy crayon wrappers, I'm all for the wet plastic.

Saying that all caches must be ammo cans, and must not be bagged, is the first step to saying they all must contain exactly 7 items, have a log book of a precise size, and be located in no less than 3 acres of unbuilt land (with specific legal definitions of what constitutes unbuilt land).

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

Wow! ER, what thread are you replying to? I haven't read this one in a a while, and after reading your post, I went back and re-read the entire thread. (All 57 messages)

No one said anything about having to use ammo boxes, or talked about any trash bag prohibition. There were a number of people who mentioned their dislike of wet, moldy trash bags, and ammo boxes were simply suggested as an alternative to wrapping a not-very-waterproof container in plastic. One of many, many suggestions, I might point out. This thread contained a large number of helpful posts from folks offering their advice on peanut butter and mayo jars, ammo cans, hardy plastic containers, PVC pipe (some camoflauged and complete with picture), and other ways to hide a cache without subjecting the hunters to plastic sacks and stagnant water.

I think this was a fairly productive topic... Please, no need for your unfounded accusations.

Jamie

I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. And no one's talking about banning them like buried caches. But comments like

quote:

In my opinion, if your cache is thought thru so little that you have to supplement weather resistance with a garbage bag, then maybe your cache should have been subjected to more thought in the 1st place.

ignore the fact that there are cases where they are appropriate. I have bagged caches at times, have seen bags well used, and have missed them in cases where they would have been an improvement.

I picked the ammo boxes as the contrary example because that's where people get most emphatic, but they, like any other cache container are not appropriate everywhere.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Do you know that 5 of the 10 http://www.forbes.com/2001/09/27/400.html are Waltons? Trust me, they don't need any more of your money.

Jamie

This one needs your money, so don't go to Wal-Mart, just send you money to me icon_wink.gif.

-bikencacheguy (A Walton, but unfortunately not *that* Walton. Maybe I can convince ol' Sam I'm a long-lost relative...)

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Do you know that 5 of the 10 http://www.forbes.com/2001/09/27/400.html are Waltons? Trust me, they don't need any more of your money.

Jamie

This one needs your money, so don't go to Wal-Mart, just send you money to me icon_wink.gif.

-bikencacheguy (A Walton, but unfortunately not *that* Walton. Maybe I can convince ol' Sam I'm a long-lost relative...)