State Park Policies on Geocaching?

jon & miki

The rangers and naturalists in South Carolina state parks have been extremely friendly with geocachers, working with cache placers to locate interesting places to put caches, helping out cache hunters with judicious hints, helping research historical locations, even proposing areas they would like to see caches in. Some rangers have even bought their own GPSr's and joined the hunt (and of course, the naturalists are using advanced GPS technology to locate unusual or delicate habitats, but that's sort of off topic here)

The parks department has been working on formulating a policy on geocaching for quite a while and I believe they may put out a formal geocaching policy this year.

Assuming that we are able to maintain our good relationship with the park rangers and naturalists and perhaps have some input into the formal policy, I'd like to ask for advice from those of you who have been involved in developing (or trying to change) state park geocaching policy in other states.

What are some elements to consider in setting up a formal policy that protects the parks (both environmentally and legally) and maximizes the ability of geocachers to hide and seek caches?

What policies are working well in other states? What policies are working badly?

If this is an old thread, we apologize, just steer us in the right direction. Otherwise, we am looking forward to your suggestions and guidance.

Jon & Miki

Check the Arkansas State parks thread for the rules they came up with. They're pretty reasonable. Same goes for ST Johns RMD

To me reasonable and effective rules would include some or all of these:

A permit system (free). Permits good for 1 year and are renewable.

Description of container and coordinates submited to the agency's office.

Pre-approval of location.

Required maintenance trips by the owner (perhaps every 3-4 months).

No food, tobacco, alcohol, firearms, explosives or other potentially harmful items in caches.

Owner must remove cache if it's found to have a negative impact on the surrounding area, or at the request of the agency.

Caches subject to inspection by park personnel.

Caches must be in animal resistant containers.

Geocaches should be clearly marked as such and

display contact information for the owner.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on January 24, 2003 at 07:12 AM.]

I am not aware of any policy that is pro or against geocaching in Virginia at this time. However, if any of you run into any trouble, or if you have a good story to share, I would like to hear about it.

I can't guarantee that I can do anything about it one way or another, but I can at least get the issue to the table if needed.

W. Scott Smith (Rivercacher)

Chairman, Board of Trustees

Virginia State Parks Foundation

32121_600.jpg

Lynchburg, Virginia

We are just starting to deal with the issue in Central Kentucky based on an incident in one of our State Preserves.

Arkansas seems to have a pretty reasonable rule - it does require a permit, which is a bit of a hassle, but it gives the Park Rangers some control over the placement of the caches, which makes sense as they are the ones who have to maintain the parks.

We are gathering information now. A lot of it can be found on our Yahoo group.

Check our web page at http://www.geocky.org - you may want to join (at least to the Yahoo group) and feel free to take whatever is on the Yahoo group that would be of use.

EDIT: The link to the Yahoo group can be found on the "Membership" section.

Here in Idaho it's hit and miss. I'm working with a local Zoo to put a cache within their boundaries.

The state parks dept. I'm not ware of having a policy yet though when they do I'm sure I'll hear from them.

The BLM is another I'm working on permission to place a cache as they run the Craters of the Moon national monument in conjunction with the National Park Service.

Wherever you go there you are.

Take a look at the WSGA's website. We have put together some guidedlines for placing caches in Washington's State Parks. While these guidelines are not approved by the state parks at this time, I feel they are a good starting point to build on.

Misguide One

Chairman- WSGA Advocacy Committee

Cum catapultae proscriptae erat,

tum soli proscript catapultas habeunt.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Hi from Wyoming,

There is a great deal of National Forest and Wilderness land in this state. It is NOT lawfull to cache on either of them. Cache = trash, as far as the USFS (US Forest Service)and others are concerned.

I've spent some time working with USFS trail crews in the backcountry. We regularly run into caches left by backcountry users. Tents, stoves, plastic sheeting, buckets, fuel, rope, tools,food, you name it. These are packed out. If the cacher is found they get a (federal) ticket/fine.

Ok, so geocaches are not supposed to be large piles of "trash". By the rules, on National Forest and Wilderness, it is caching and the rules are enforcable.

Just something to think about when you are in the great outdoors. I have'nt seen any post on this topic yet. The agencies that are responsible for Nat. Forest and Wilderness in Wyoming are aware of goecaching...

digi62 out.

quote:
Originally posted by digi62:

Hi from Wyoming,

There is a great deal of National Forest and Wilderness land in this state. It is NOT lawfull to cache on either of them. Cache = trash, as far as the USFS (US Forest Service)and others are concerned.

I've spent some time working with USFS trail crews in the backcountry. We regularly run into caches left by backcountry users. Tents, stoves, plastic sheeting, buckets, fuel, rope, tools,food, you name it. These are packed out. If the cacher is found they get a (federal) ticket/fine.

Ok, so geocaches are not supposed to be large piles of "trash". By the rules, on National Forest and Wilderness, it is caching and the rules are enforcable.

Just something to think about when you are in the great outdoors. I have'nt seen any post on this topic yet. The agencies that are responsible for Nat. Forest and Wilderness in Wyoming are aware of goecaching...

digi62 out.

Actually there have been lots of threads about this. Use the search feature to find them. It seems that every now and then some one who just created an account and has never logged a cache posts to the forums that caching is banned. Somehow they are almost never able to cite supporting documentation or provide official points of contacts within the respective agencies. Kind of funny the way that happens. icon_rolleyes.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

Geocaching was banned from NC State Parks for a time, but is now allowed under very strict (and expensive) terms. See the thread here.

I don't believe too many caches have been placed in NC State Parks since these rules went into effect (I only know of one personally) because of the $25 fee which is only good for a maximum of 3 months. Discouraging as this is, it is better than the ban that existed before. I have had positive contact with Dr. McKnelly and plan to follow up in the spring. I don't believe the park officials understand how small a geocache can be (and usually is) and how short a distance from the trail it can be effectively hidden. What we need ::D: are some park officials who take up geocaching!

It's interesting to see what other areas are doing to permit and even encourage geocaching while preserving and protecting our natural resources.

52813_3100.gif

quote:
Hi from Wyoming,

There is a great deal of National Forest and Wilderness land in this state. It is NOT lawfull to cache on either of them. Cache = trash, as far as the USFS (US Forest Service)and others are concerned

On the contrary (unless you are aware of some late breaking news), there is no national USFS policy banning geocaching. Some individual officials may formulate their own policies.

Perhaps you are confusing it with the National Park Service.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant