Happy Anniversary, Stayfloopy!

I feel like I am in a locals forum! I cant believe you did all that in a year! You and BP amaze me....so many caches, so little time.

And Artful...are you a programmer...you always have the coolest (and topic appropriate) UBB graemlins?

Congrats Floopy on a very productive year!

Great work Floop! You got all of mine some of them first (natch!). One of them (Floyd Bennett Field-Brooklyn) you are first and only to date and I'm retiring it. Not in honor of your accomplishment (I'm not that thoughtful) but because its in Gateway NRA and I;ve been politely asked by the land mgr to please remove it. (Hmmm. Does that count towards your total?) So I asked our buddy crusso if he would like the honor of being last to visit and to remove it on his way out. He agreed. I'm going to cry with all this emotion. I can't take it anymore! Maybe we should all go out and tie one on.

Alan

It's gotten to the point where when I post a cache, I try to do it on a Monday so someone else but stayfloppy has a chance to find it first! It's either that or post the first find for him as I post the cache & let him fill in the info when he gets there!

All kiddin aside... Congrats Floppy!! icon_razz.gif

It's gotten to the point where when I post a cache, I try to do it on a Monday so someone else but stayfloppy has a chance to find it first! It's either that or post the first find for him as I post the cache & let him fill in the info when he gets there!

All kiddin aside... Congrats Floppy!! icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

In the world of GPS units with mapping capabilities, the Floopmeister still uses the trusty yellow Etrex for all his cache hunts.

I recall meeting up with Floopy at a BrianSnat cache where he actually used his Maggie 330. I remember my Vista indicated the cache was located where Floopy was standing, and his Maggie indicated it was where I was standing . . . naturally, we found the cache somewhere else. icon_wink.gif

quote:

In the world of GPS units with mapping capabilities, the Floopmeister still uses the trusty yellow Etrex for all his cache hunts.

I recall meeting up with Floopy at a BrianSnat cache where he actually used his Maggie 330. I remember my Vista indicated the cache was located where Floopy was standing, and his Maggie indicated it was where I was standing . . . naturally, we found the cache somewhere else. icon_wink.gif

quote:

In the world of GPS units with mapping capabilities, the Floopmeister still uses the trusty yellow Etrex for all his cache hunts. http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/amazed.gif

Actually, I have three GPSes: the yellow Etrex, a Magellan 330, and an Emap with amplified antenna.

Of the three, the Etrex still gets the most use and I use Hagstrom (and others) maps for navigation.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Stayfloopy is the undisputed king of Geocaching!

I belive the only "cacher" with more finds is actually a team. Floopy does this by himself.

(P.S. Do not buy a used car from this man. The odometer had probably turned around twice already)

Heheh... actually, it is just about to pass 100,000 miles so I'm going to log the 100,000 miles cache maybe this weekend.

Yeah, for the most part it is a solitary effort but I have found 15 or so caches as part of a team, including one of yours with BassoonPilot.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Great work Floop! You got all of mine some of them first (natch!). One of them (Floyd Bennett Field-Brooklyn) you are first and only to date and I'm retiring it. Not in honor of your accomplishment (I'm not that thoughtful) but because its in Gateway NRA and I;ve been politely asked by the land mgr to please remove it.

oofa! But yes, that area is indeed part of the Gateway National Recreation Area. Is there anything there that could be a virtual cache? How about the words written on the long pipe near the buildings? Oops... I think I already spoiled that one in my log. icon_smile.gif

Oh by the way, if you have time, check out the Big Guns virtual cache just a few miles from Floyd Bennett.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Great work Floop! You got all of mine some of them first (natch!). One of them (Floyd Bennett Field-Brooklyn) you are first and only to date and I'm retiring it. Not in honor of your accomplishment (I'm not that thoughtful) but because its in Gateway NRA and I;ve been politely asked by the land mgr to please remove it.

oofa! But yes, that area is indeed part of the Gateway National Recreation Area. Is there anything there that could be a virtual cache? How about the words written on the long pipe near the buildings? Oops... I think I already spoiled that one in my log. icon_smile.gif

Oh by the way, if you have time, check out the Big Guns virtual cache just a few miles from Floyd Bennett.

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

It's gotten to the point where when I post a cache, I try to do it on a Monday so someone else but stayfloppy has a chance to find it first!

Odd thing though... I couldn't believe your traveling cache was out there on City Island for half a week with no finds. I went for it Sunday evening and was still the first.

Then when I stashed it here in NJ, it was picked up within an hour or two. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

It's gotten to the point where when I post a cache, I try to do it on a Monday so someone else but stayfloppy has a chance to find it first!

Odd thing though... I couldn't believe your traveling cache was out there on City Island for half a week with no finds. I went for it Sunday evening and was still the first.

Then when I stashed it here in NJ, it was picked up within an hour or two. icon_wink.gif

quote:

Ah, ok. I stand corrected. icon_wink.gif I bet you got your money's worth many times over on all three!

The Etrex especially... it looks rather battle-worn now because of the dents in its yellow plastic shell from having bumped against rocks. Had to go looking for it once because I dropped it while sliding down a steep slope to get to a cache. Funny thing is that wasn't the original location for the cache. It had fallen 50 vertical feet down from its original hiding spot! (And you guys complain when your caches move a few feet from their hiding spots. icon_biggrin.gif )

quote:

Ah, ok. I stand corrected. icon_wink.gif I bet you got your money's worth many times over on all three!

The Etrex especially... it looks rather battle-worn now because of the dents in its yellow plastic shell from having bumped against rocks. Had to go looking for it once because I dropped it while sliding down a steep slope to get to a cache. Funny thing is that wasn't the original location for the cache. It had fallen 50 vertical feet down from its original hiding spot! (And you guys complain when your caches move a few feet from their hiding spots. icon_biggrin.gif )

quote:

With all those cache searches you have done - .... which ones were the most memorable (or not!)ones for you?

The most memorable one hands down was da/|ds0n c^chE. I did the research and got driving directions all the way to within 30 ft of the cache but it was a hazardous drive on a rocky dirt road that hasn't been maintained in quite a while. Ask BassoonPilot about his trip there. icon_wink.gif

In the weird department would be the time when, enroute to the Whitetail Hill cache, I met a bunch of people who were doing a shuffle on the boardwalk and kissing each of trees along the side. They said they were doing that because the bark was smooth. I was on my way quickly.

Patuxent Ponds was a bit of a challenge because the final approach was on a small log bridge that maybe wasn't quite strong enough to support my weight. I thought I'd use a fallen branch as a walking stick to help me get across but to my horror, it sank right into the water because the middle part was deeper than I thought. Made it across by doing a quick two-step on the second half of the log.

The worst encounter I had with the neighbors was when I went to find the original Cedar Ridge cache because the guy living at the end of the cul de sac thought I was crossing his private property, which wasn't so but I did manage to obtain permission to enter the area anyway after a whole lot of convincing.

Best night hunt, and I think my first night hunt, was Ralph's Old Fishing Cache. No printout and no coordinates. I knew which bridge I had to search though so I just went down the side and found it after some looking around.

And of course there were many, many other caches worthy of mention but I've taken up enough forum space. icon_smile.gif

quote:

With all those cache searches you have done - .... which ones were the most memorable (or not!)ones for you?

The most memorable one hands down was da/|ds0n c^chE. I did the research and got driving directions all the way to within 30 ft of the cache but it was a hazardous drive on a rocky dirt road that hasn't been maintained in quite a while. Ask BassoonPilot about his trip there. icon_wink.gif

In the weird department would be the time when, enroute to the Whitetail Hill cache, I met a bunch of people who were doing a shuffle on the boardwalk and kissing each of trees along the side. They said they were doing that because the bark was smooth. I was on my way quickly.

Patuxent Ponds was a bit of a challenge because the final approach was on a small log bridge that maybe wasn't quite strong enough to support my weight. I thought I'd use a fallen branch as a walking stick to help me get across but to my horror, it sank right into the water because the middle part was deeper than I thought. Made it across by doing a quick two-step on the second half of the log.

The worst encounter I had with the neighbors was when I went to find the original Cedar Ridge cache because the guy living at the end of the cul de sac thought I was crossing his private property, which wasn't so but I did manage to obtain permission to enter the area anyway after a whole lot of convincing.

Best night hunt, and I think my first night hunt, was Ralph's Old Fishing Cache. No printout and no coordinates. I knew which bridge I had to search though so I just went down the side and found it after some looking around.

And of course there were many, many other caches worthy of mention but I've taken up enough forum space. icon_smile.gif

Outstanding work!

Caching @ night

Caching before work

Caching after work

Caching vacations

And all the while being a top twenty "Where's George" user!

When does this man sleep?

When does this man work?

When will this man stop?

You are the un-disputed heavy-weight champion of GeoCaching!

icon_biggrin.gif

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

39478_400.jpg

Outstanding work!

Caching @ night

Caching before work

Caching after work

Caching vacations

And all the while being a top twenty "Where's George" user!

When does this man sleep?

When does this man work?

When will this man stop?

You are the un-disputed heavy-weight champion of GeoCaching!

icon_biggrin.gif

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

39478_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

I did the research and got driving directions all the way to within 30 ft of the cache but it was a hazardous drive on a rocky dirt road that hasn't been maintained in quite a while. Ask BassoonPilot about his trip there. icon_wink.gif

Dirt? What dirt?? All I saw was thick, SMOOTH ice, especially on the steep, curvy hill . . .

I wish I had been there to see Floopy do the n_Se cache, because I think that is probably a cache where he challenged himself a bit. I knew he wasn't as fond of heights as some of us, so I was truly impressed!

quote:

I did the research and got driving directions all the way to within 30 ft of the cache but it was a hazardous drive on a rocky dirt road that hasn't been maintained in quite a while. Ask BassoonPilot about his trip there. icon_wink.gif

Dirt? What dirt?? All I saw was thick, SMOOTH ice, especially on the steep, curvy hill . . .

I wish I had been there to see Floopy do the n_Se cache, because I think that is probably a cache where he challenged himself a bit. I knew he wasn't as fond of heights as some of us, so I was truly impressed!

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Yeah, talk about heights! Did you see how small the Bear Mountain Bridge looked from up there? icon_smile.gif I am GLAD I found the cache before climbing down into some of the tough spots.

That's the reason why I'm not rushing to do Wheretogo Vertigo.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Yeah, talk about heights! Did you see how small the Bear Mountain Bridge looked from up there? icon_smile.gif I am GLAD I found the cache before climbing down into some of the tough spots.

That's the reason why I'm not rushing to do Wheretogo Vertigo.

Happy Anniversary, StayFloopy!

You've blown past me in Where's George... now I just need to find a way to catch and pass you here. Hmm... I guess I'd have to start by moving out of WV. icon_smile.gif Congratulations!

quote:

Heheh... actually, it is just about to pass 100,000 miles so I'm going to log the 100,000 miles cache maybe this weekend.

Just waiting to see that log...

Happy Anniversary, StayFloopy!

You've blown past me in Where's George... now I just need to find a way to catch and pass you here. Hmm... I guess I'd have to start by moving out of WV. icon_smile.gif Congratulations!

quote:

Just waiting to see that log...