Options for wireless (cell) internet access

Hey folks,

If I want to connect my laptop to the internet what are my options for using a cell phone (or cell phone network) to do so? I don't care to surf on my phone, basically I'm looking for a cellular modem I guess... Any suggestions on where to research this? Thanks,

Mike from Team Mixster

Motorola V60-i.

When I got the phone I got the data connectivity kit and was able to plug the phone into my desktop via the USB and use it as a modem. I dial up my normal ISP, so there is no special fee.

I had no problem setting this up at all. My connect speed is 28.8 though and I think it will stay at this low speed until the Digital Network upgrades in my area. There is a connection scheme that if the digital network supports it can give you higher data rates, but since it's a moot point for me right now I can't tell you what it is.

However because I have unlimited nights and weekends on my plans I can use the laptop/cell phone combo and go caching and surfing.

Surfing would be good once in a while when you are wondering if a cache got archived on you.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

So it's my understanding that as long as you have a cell phone that supports it and a digital network, it basically acts as a modem and you *still* have to have dial-up internet service in order to access. Is that right? I liked T-mobile's Sidekick plan, except that I guess the data limit shouldn't matter - only minutes right?

-Still somewhat confused:

Mike

I have Verizon Wireless with America's Choice Coverage

My last 3 phones were Quallcomm/Kyocera phones the QCP-860 thinphone, the QCP-2035a, and my 2235. All three had a data cable that hooks up to the serial port and then to the camera.

I can dial up and get 14.4Kbps access to the net using my normal airtime minutes

on Verizon you use #777 as the phone# and the following info with the Kyocera phones:

install a standard 19200 bps modem on the serial port through control panel

setup the dial-up networking connection with the username as "qnc" and the passworn as "net"; like I said above the phone # is #777

If you have the QCP-2235 and this does not work, you will have to call verizon's data division, as the phone is set to a different data protocol that is compatable with their high-speed data service (it is like $100 extra a month for the decent service), and the phone will have to be switched back down to the old standard digital data service via some hidden menu's

I used to have an old motorola flip phone (analog) and had the data kit for it too, at 9600 bps (how slow)

If I am going out caching for the day, I will take the laptop, palm, my portable printer, and will hook the gps up so I know where I'm going and then when I need to, I can download cache pages and print them out. I have a 900 watt power inverter in my van so that my laptop and printer stay powered too

Based on what everyone has said here and research I've done on my own I went with an Ericsson T68i phone with service through T-Mobile. I've also ordered the USB data cable. As far as I know I should be able to use this to have it setup as an external modem. Now I just need an ISP. (My cablemodem doesn't offer a dial-up alternative, so there's an added fee). I'll let you know what my progress is as I get it as I really want this to work out. Also, Team BVCY Swim will be at the Mt. Airy Forest Cleanup CITO event tomorrow so I'll check out thier setup and see what I can learn. Thanks!

-Mike from Team Mixster

Well, here's an update (sort of)... I purchased the phone and for the longest time (and three computers later) I couldn't get it to connect to the computer, much less dial out. Just recently I've noticed that unless you have the battery almost fully charged, you're SOL. Now, the good thing is that the USB cable contains a socket for the power cord so I can use the cable and charge it at the same time.

The next step will be to actually connect it to the laptop and use a dial-up service. (Still working on finding a relatively cheap one).

Team BVCY Swim has a pretty cool setup, which is where I got the idea. Pretty soon though I'm going to need a small power plant in addition to the van's engine. Currently we have (off and on) a laptop, the gps, and a cell phone charger for my wife's phone. We contemplated getting one of these travel kits w/ the tv and vcr, but I'm fairly certain that if I do that, turn on the lights and the A/C that I'll be getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 miles to the gallon. Ah well, next update: ISP and quality of connection.

-Mike from Team Mixster

My wife is currently on a short-term contract, testing cell phone software for Sprint.

They have some nice Palm and PocketPC phones that do a fin job of connecting to the internet seamlessly.

And, I got to play with 2 new phones they'll be releasing by July (one Palm and on PocketPC) that are very easy to connect with. I even surfed some cache pages and the Groundspeak store, as well as the yellow pages and weather underground. What more does one need?

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I use my motorola Startac with Verizon's mobile office software (777 to connect) with both my laptop and Handspring PDA. I read here that people are using Sprint phones to connect. I would like to know how to connect my Sprint startac to the net so I can burn more minutes. Anyone know how?

She said, "Give up caching, or don't come home." Dang I am gonna miss her!

1008879416.gif

The Kyocera 7135 isn't a horrible phone (though horribly expensive). Can be a fax/modem and Verizon tells me it is capable of 56bps. I've not gotten the kit yet to confirm that.

The Kyo itself though doesn't really need a laptop. I was travelling this weekend and happened on a spot I figured would be a good hide. Checked gc.com and confirmed.

Well I found today (quite by accident) that all I needed was a 20 dollar cable to make my Motorola 120c work as a USB modem with my Tibook 550. Boy have I been livining in a hole. (See my post in the GPS Software forum for more details). I've had both the phone and the laptop for over a year and NEVER knew I could connect to two.

Matter of fact I'm posting this via cellphone. (I have something like 800 minutes per month and never use them).

I didn't buy the data kit from Verizon (65 bucks -- ouch) to get the cable. I picked up a generic cable minus the software. I'm on a MAC and can't use the software anyway. (and I apparently don't need it anyway).

I didn't have to install any drivers at all. Just change my AOL settings to see the phone and that was it.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

Jolly,

Good for you - I'm still looking for a low priced ISP. Any suggestions for a number in the US? I guess it really doesn't matter where as I have free long distance and roaming, and free nights and weekends... My phone company has an option for $12.95 I could go with. Still debating. Anyone know of one that offers a free month trial so I could cancel if I'm not satisified with that option? Thanks!

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mixster:

Jolly,

Good for you - I'm still looking for a low priced ISP. Any suggestions for a number in the US? I guess it really doesn't matter where as I have free long distance and roaming, and free nights and weekends... My phone company has an option for $12.95 I could go with. Still debating. Anyone know of one that offers a free month trial so I could cancel if I'm not satisified with that option? Thanks!

Mike

For me AOL was a good option. You can dial up from anywhere. Just need a local zip code to find the acces numbers. But there's a BETTER option.

If you have a Verizon account you get free access to their ISP -- Quick2Net. If your cell phone is drawing a signal you're in. ;D Just dial #755 (or is it 775?). Anyway, it's not extra charge and comes free with all verizon accounts. I signed on yesterday and poked around. BTW I logged a cache from the field Saturday with my laptop/cell phone. Such a geek thing to do but I HAD to do it.

Jolly R. Blackburn

heh, that's what I meant, really as long as it's in the US I should be okay. I went with t-mobile, so the Verizon bit doesn't help. I think I'll call up Cincinnati Bell and see if they offer a trial period. Worst case I can use a free month of AOL and see how the connection speeds are. Thanks!

-Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

If you have a Verizon account you get free access to their ISP -- Quick2Net. If your cell phone is drawing a signal you're in. ;D Just dial #755 (or is it 775?). Anyway, it's not extra charge and comes free with all verizon accounts. I signed on yesterday and poked around. BTW I logged a cache from the field Saturday with my laptop/cell phone. Such a geek thing to do but I HAD to do it.

What kind of speed do you get? I just signed up with Verizon. Where did you get your cable? I have the Samsung A310.

Thanks

icon911.gif

beerchug.gif

I signed up for the wireless web (Verizon) a week ago. I bought the cable from the verizon store for $58. The software for the laptop was included. It was easy to install. The monthly charge in my area is $7.95 (over my regular plan). This beats the $80/month for Express Network. I tested the speed on toast.net and found that it varied (14K-56K), depending on what type of test was used.

The compression software allows for higher rates than the advertised 14.4K. It works well for geocaching. The page loads relatively quickly. The best part about the plan is that it uses your included minutes, not a separate quota.

quote:
Originally posted by OUTSID4EVR:

I signed up for the wireless web (Verizon) a week ago. I bought the cable from the verizon store for $58. The software for the laptop was included. It was easy to install. The monthly charge in my area is $7.95 (over my regular plan). This beats the $80/month for Express Network. I tested the speed on toast.net and found that it varied (14K-56K), depending on what type of test was used.

The compression software allows for higher rates than the advertised 14.4K. It works well for geocaching. The page loads relatively quickly. The best part about the plan is that it uses your included minutes, not a separate quota.

Exactly the results I've bene having. I seem to average 28k or so. You can buy the cable without the software/Cd and (saving yourself 40 bucks or so). Not being charged the extras $7.95 however. My existing plan covers everything.

Jolly R. Blackburn

I'm still looking for a low priced ISP

Click here for Cheap dial-up. I used it while traveling with my laptop. One-time $4.95 setup fee. Then you get 10 hrs/month free. $1/hr after that up to a max of $10. So the most it will ever cost you in any one month is $10.

Seemed like a pretty good, fast connection. Plenty of local access numbers - at least in the area where I was in FL.

Or, if you live in MA, NH or RI (or like you said, have free long distance) these guys offer totally free access.

Well... this topic has inspired me to run out and update my Verizon plan to a newer one (which I needed to do anyway because I was paying too many $$$ on the old one). Of course, a data capable phone purchase was in order too. I got the Motorola T720 phone and America's Choice service. At the advice here, I did not buy the mobile office kit but rather eBay-ed for a USB data cable and saved quite a bit. My notebook now recognizes the phone and I am attempting to connect to Verizon's ISP.

Help...

I've seen the #777 number mentioned in this thread and I can connect to the number but I get a bad username/password message when I use the qnc / net combination mentioned in this thread without any success. Might anybody have any suggestions?

Got it working and am connected with it now...

I spent 40 minutes on the phone with a verizon tech who gave up and was going to transfer me to Motorola. I then hung up, called back, got a different tech, and he fixed it in 30 seconds!

Aparently the newer phones need a command string to force them into lower speeds (this has been mentioned before). The command string is: AT$qcmdr=2; AT$qcqnc=1 to force the phone into low speed or AT$qcmdr=3; AT$qcqnc=0 to force it into high speed. I was also told that Express Network (115.2kBPs) was enabled on my plan although I didn't sign up for it. I dialed in with the Express Network username and it worked as well... I don't know if I'm getting billed extra for it though! Anyway... if anyone else has the problem, there you go.

Finally got my connection working. Here's a few observations with T-Mobile and the Sony Ericsson T68i. 1) You really need to keep the phone plugged in, or fully charged while online, otherwise it doesn't get recognized for some reason. 2) No matter what I've tried it won't connect faster than 9600 icon_frown.gif 3) If you are disconnected for whatever reason, you must unplug the USB cable, reconnect it, let it re-recognize the phone, and then redial. Very cumbersome. Unless I can get this to work better, I'll be calling the 'Can you hear me now?' folks when my contract expires. icon_wink.gif

-Mike from Team Mixster

FWIW, since this topic floated back to the top, I have determined that I am indeed getting Verizon Express Network for free (just airtime). All of VZW's new America's Choice Plans that also have Unlimited Nights/Weekends automatically get free Express Network. If you already have an America's Choice plan and do not have Express Network enabled, Verizon will enable it for you at no extra charge (just airtime of course). This means that during nights and weekends Express Network is free on VZW America's Choice. There is a thread about this over on Howard Forums

Express Network, costs Airtime only!

I'm finding that I typically connect at 115.2kBPS and get between 56k and 100k of actual transfer speed. This is with a Motorola T720 phone. I've tested it while (as a passanger) going down the interstates in Nashville for over an hour without a single dropout. As always, your mileage may vary. The only quirk is the AT command strings which I mentioned in a previous post. I'm a pretty happy camper considering I was only expecting 9600 at best when I bought the data cable.

quote:
Originally posted by M-Class:

FWIW, since this topic floated back to the top, I have determined that I am indeed getting Verizon Express Network for free (just airtime). All of VZW's new America's Choice Plans that also have Unlimited Nights/Weekends automatically get free Express Network. If you already have an America's Choice plan and do not have Express Network enabled, Verizon will enable it for you at no extra charge (just airtime of course). This means that during nights and weekends Express Network is free on VZW America's Choice. There is a thread about this over on Howard Forums

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=154306

I'm finding that I typically connect at 115.2kBPS and get between 56k and 100k of actual transfer speed. This is with a Motorola T720 phone. I've tested it while (as a passanger) going down the interstates in Nashville for over an hour without a single dropout. As always, your mileage may vary. The only quirk is the AT command strings which I mentioned in a previous post. I'm a pretty happy camper considering I was only expecting 9600 at best when I bought the data cable.

Just what the Dr. ordered. Thank you for the link. Got the cable and after the third try the CSR got me hooked up and all is good for now. I am using it now. icon_smile.gif

icon911.gif

beerchug.gif

quote:

I'm finding that I typically connect at 115.2kBPS and get between 56k and 100k of actual transfer speed. This is with a Motorola T720 phone.

icon_frown.gif If only I had seen this before making my purchase. I might give this phone to my wife for everyday use and get this phone/network setup... Sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the info...

-Mike from Team Mixster

Although I see 230k connects, my average transfer rate for web is about 56k-144k depending on where I am at (not bad for a cell phone connection). It appears that this is a shared-bandwidth 'burst' style conncetion (much like cable), so the 230k really means 'up to' 230k. For things other than web, such as POP3 email or other non port 80 services, the connection seems slower. I've also noticed that redirectors unexplainably take a few seconds extra as well. I just used the service in TN, IN, OH, the more developed areas of VA, and the south half of lower MI with excellent results (this was while on vacation). Verizon's coverage was pretty much non-existant in the nothern half of lower MI, and I couldn't get any data to work in WV (even in the Digital coverage area along I-77) except for the 14.4k qnc conenction only around Charleston. The actual speed of the connection varried from area to area, but generally was faster in the cities and along the interstates than in the rural areas. It did allow us to find some caches in-route, and it did allow us to search for motel rooms in nearby towns when we discovered that our chosen stopping point had no rooms available. Don't expect too much.. it isn't DSL like speeds, but it sure was better than 14.4k connects which feel like 4800 baud! I'm reasonably impressed.