Stars

Guest bcbpbob

Guest bcbpbob

I recently found a stash that was ranked 3 stars for dificulty and 3 stars for terrain. I agreed that the terrain might have been 3 stars, but the dificulty in finding it was not. I spotted this stash from 20 feet without any trouble. Should wqe notify the owner of the stash that we dissagree? Or would this be rude?

I'm also interested to know if there are guidlines for ranking. I want to try to hide some difficult stash's but want the ranking to be reflective of it's actual difficulty. I understand that a ranking of 5 stars in terrain means you need climbing gear. Is that right? I'm looking for collective input, so as to try to make the ranking more consistent.

It would also be helpful to know if dogs are allowed in parks prior to hunting.

Thanks Bob

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by bcbpbob:

I recently found a stash that was ranked 3 stars for dificulty and 3 stars for terrain. I agreed that the terrain might have been 3 stars, but the dificulty in finding it was not. I spotted this stash from 20 feet without any trouble. Should wqe notify the owner of the stash that we dissagree? Or would this be rude?

It's all subjective. Your level 3 is my 1, etc. So it's just a guideline. The only way to make it exacting is to have one judge.

I will, however, start allowing folks to rate the find on the same difficulty/terrain level. After so many times it will list the finders' average difficulty/terrain, as well as things like reviewing the place, remoteness (possibly?).

quote:

I understand that a ranking of 5 stars in terrain means you need climbing gear. Is that right? I'm looking for collective input, so as to try to make the ranking more consistent.

5 means climbing gear, scuba gear, etc. Again it is very subjective. If the sport was more specific (e.g. rock climbing) we could make better reviews for terrain/difficulty, but we can't.

quote:

Interesting idea. I'll look into it. I'm starting to be a hike review site now icon_wink.gif

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by bcbpbob:

It's all subjective. Your level 3 is my 1, etc. So it's just a guideline. The only way to make it exacting is to have one judge.

I will, however, start allowing folks to rate the find on the same difficulty/terrain level. After so many times it will list the finders' average difficulty/terrain, as well as things like reviewing the place, remoteness (possibly?).

quote:

I understand that a ranking of 5 stars in terrain means you need climbing gear. Is that right? I'm looking for collective input, so as to try to make the ranking more consistent.

5 means climbing gear, scuba gear, etc. Again it is very subjective. If the sport was more specific (e.g. rock climbing) we could make better reviews for terrain/difficulty, but we can't.

quote:

Interesting idea. I'll look into it. I'm starting to be a hike review site now icon_wink.gif

Jeremy