150 COUNTRIES.... WOW !!!!!

170 COUNTRIES!!!! WOW !!!!!

Beat you planet! My dog is bigger than your dog!

icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

auurgh, the early warrior gets the post. I had to work all day and night yesterday. Darn it. And I thought I was up early enough to be first this morning. LOL. Glad to see you're on the ball. Except mine's not a dog, it's a fish! Hee hee!

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

171 !!!! WOW !!!!!

Pretty soon we will be like McDonalds. Billions and Billions!

Beat ya Planet !! My dog is bigger than your dog. icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

172!!!

Whoo Hoo, I finally got one before Planet. Gotta get up mighty early in the day to get the jump on her.

Back to my original question. Does anyone have a way to make a list of the countries in the order attained? and a list of the remaining countries so we can see what we need?

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

HA! 173. Got that Dru? One Hundred and Seventy Three! I knew geocaching would conquer the world! So, how many countries are there left to conquer? And Dru, it helps that I'm east coast and you're West coast so I already have a three hour jump on you.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

HA! 173. One Hundred and Seventy Three! It helps that I'm east coast and you're West coast so I already have a three hour jump on you.

So what! My dog is still bigger than your dog icon_biggrin.gif

Of course, with all theovertime I have been doing lately, he hasn't seen me much. Got to pay for the dog food.

El Paso, Texas.

I wonder: is there any country where GPSr is illegal for the general population, or for visitors, to use? If so, it would be darn difficult to register or find a geocache.

It occurred to me that antarctica is not a country. No resident authority to confer or determine citizenship, to issue passports, to make laws, etc. So I decided to find out what the US State Dept makes available on the Web about these sorts of issues.

Here's the US State Department URL for recognized countries. As of May 14, it contains 172 countries and separately lists Taiwain.

http://www.state.gov/s/inr/rls/4250.htm

The US State Dept also has a list of Dependencies and Special Sovereignties:

http://www.state.gov/s/inr/rls/10543.htm

Antarctica is in that list, one of a very few with no sovereignty or unknown sovereignty. The list also includes a considerable number of sovereignty claims that the US notes but does not recognize; in some cases there are multiple unresolved conflicting claims. Its a complex rats nest.

Dreamer of Pictures

quote:
I wonder: is there any country where GPSr is illegal for the general population, or for visitors, to use? If so, it would be darn difficult to register or find a geocache.

Russia

That hasn't stopped some people from hiding caches there but I hope anyone caught with a GPSr has diplomatic immunity... they'll probably need it.

Talking about PNG - More of a myth than anything else. I have a relative who has been a missionary in PNG since the mid 1960's. She was one the the very first there.

The jungle is very dangerous though, and you are more likely to be killed by it than by anything else. Having said that, crime and tribal war is so out of control down there that it would very foolish to venture too far from any of the major towns.

--------------------------------------------------

If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don't stop and think of what other words have "under"; in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness.

id like to suggest that the admins have a thread to let us know of new countries. this thread should also be updated frequently (~1/month) just to let everyone know howmany caches are in each country. also this thread should be held to the top like the avatar thread.

as someone else said just my 2 cents and refunds are available.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

quote:
Originally posted by Greenback:

Ok Devine, where do you get 185 countries? I just brought up the gc.com home page and it only says 180 countries. Of course there are other sites that have caches, maybe you're using another site?

Actually, on the home page it says "over 180 countries", look HERE for the latest count.

And it's up to 186...

stunod_sig.gif

mystats.php?userid=Stunod&vopt=user&txtdata=Eamus%20Catuli!&bgcol=ffffcc&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=chitown.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Greenback:

Ok Devine, where do you get 185 countries? I just brought up the gc.com home page and it only says 180 countries. Of course there are other sites that have caches, maybe you're using another site?

Nope, Greenbuck, just using gc.com. Like good old Stunod (mmmmmm.....donuts...*drool*icon_razz.gif) meritoriously pointed out, the information is available on the About Page.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -