moving/roving caches

I have recieved information regarding the dissaproval of moving caches (generally micros placed at stop signs, etc)

these caches have peaked my interest and i love them a lot because i am able to think outside the box when looking for them while and i am able to see them move around like a travel bug..

BUT, others dont like it.

what i am wondering is..

how do you feel about them?

and

if you do like them, how can i make them better... have you run into any reacurring problems that could be fixed.

thanks,

Team Bench

Kaveh

Moving caches are cool, but they are a lot of work. I've tried one and need to replace it. It's become MIA.

There are specific issues to solve like leaving a marker of some type (a small stick teepee or rock cairn) etc. But they are approvable.

Like was already said. A micro on a stop sign was probably not approved for that reason, but movable caches in general are approvable with good solutions to the special problems they present.

Wherever you go there you are.

I don't like the idea of a moving cache. I'd hate to go through the trouble of looking for it, only to find out it was in transit. I can see myself chasing the darn thing all over the place.

I do have a cache that moves, but there is a permanent leg where the new location is recorded and a sign in book, so a seeker knows if the main cache is in transit.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

Traveling caches are approved. I just had this one approved but it's out in the woods. I can see why a magnetic one on a road sign might not be. Seems to me like it would encourage cachers to pull over on the side of the road in dangerous situation. Although many country roads have room to pull over and out of the right of way at intersections most urban areas don't.

The Corp of Discovery cache was one of the best ideas I've seen for a traveling cache. It was a blast scrambling around trying to be the next one to find it. I was really looking forward to following this one and hear about Lewis and Clark's adventures.

Unfortunatly, it went to Louisiana this past Fall and has not been re-hidden again since. Myself and others have e-mailed the cacher, he's found many caches since, but the Corp of Discovery is still lost! It dosn't make sense cause this cacher really seems into caching.

If the traveling cache has a really good theme it can be fun and enjoyable IMO. But just having one that randomly moves about would probably not get my attention.

Anybody wanna road trip to Louisiana to help rescue the Corp?

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by NUGUNSLINGER:

I have recieved information regarding the dissaproval of moving caches (generally micros placed at stop signs, etc)

these caches have peaked my interest and i love them a lot because i am able to think outside the box when looking for them while and i am able to see them move around like a travel bug..

BUT, others dont like it.

what i am wondering is..

how do you feel about them?

and

if you do like them, how can i make them better... have you run into any reacurring problems that could be fixed.

thanks,

Team Bench

Kaveh

I hate'em. Hate'em, hate'em, hate'em.

Every time one wanders through my area, someone will hide it, update the coords so that it's reflected on the cache page, and then someone immediately runs out and finds it. I go looking, can't find it, then go home and discover someone beat me to it. Then the person who found it hides it, but the coords don't get updated for weeks, so I sit looking at it on my 'nearest' page for weeks, and no one searched for it because it's listed at the wrong coords.

I hate them.

If you like to think outside the box, go and hide some stay in one place micros, and encourage other people to do the same.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

The only thing I like about moving caches is that they will eventually move off my nearest caches page without me doing anything about them. icon_wink.gif If there was a way for me to filter them out, I would do so. I've wasted way too much time looking for moving caches that were already gone. I don't need that kind of frustration.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

If it's just a micro on a stop sign, it was probably disapproved because it was a micro on a stop sign.

I don't think nugunslinger was talking about disapproval from the cache approvers, I think it was it was fellow cachers they were refering to. I actually had typed up an e-mail to send to them asking for them to stop making so many, but decided not to, since some people must really enjoy them. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

If there was a 'moving cache' type, which would automatically update it's coords based on the previous finder's posted coords, that would be a step in the right direction. The ultimate moving cache would continuously report it's coords to the site (sort of like the person who placed the GPS tracking device on the car of the person they were 'stalking'). That would be very cool. You could refresh the page while the cacher was moving the cache and see where they were driving. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I've only hunted for two so far and I was successful both times. Beating other cachers to the punch gives me an added thrill.

I suppose I'll eventually hunt for one and be too late, but in my opinion that's part of the fun. I sort of view it as an all or nothing FTF.

If you don't like them, ignore them. They'll be plenty of people like me to go and track them down.

--CoronaKid

I like the idea of a moving cache, just not the reality. It seems like it would be fun to hunt a cache that is always moving to a new place, but there are too many variables involved and you have to depend on too many things going right to find one.

Let's say I go caching and find one of these caches. I take it with me, rehide it, and spend the rest of the day hiking. I get home hours later to log the find and post the new coordinates, but my computer is not working. By the time I am finally able to log the find, how many other cachers have looked for the cache in its old location and failed?

If I am one of the cachers looking for the already relocated cache, I will waste time looking for something that is not there. I spend a good amount of time looking for a cache before giving up, but I feel better about a DNF when I spent time looking for something that is actually there. I would be annoyed if I searched for something that had already been moved.

I don't think I will make an effort to hunt for these types of caches, and I agree with Marky - I wish I could somehow not even see them on my cache page. I know others like them, and they have their place I'm sure, but they are not for me.

Krystal

"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground."

We have one in Chicago that seems to work well. The cache hider has placed an awful lot of time and effort into this cache, and routinely makes the cache updated by his involvement. Take a look at his explanation for a pretty good implementation of the moving cache idea.

Twenty-three finds since October 2002, and only one not found because of stale coordinates.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by kbrece:

Let's say I go caching and find one of these caches. I take it with me, rehide it, and spend the rest of the day hiking. I get home hours later to log the find and post the new coordinates, but my computer is not working. By the time I am finally able to log the find, how many other cachers have looked for the cache in its old location and failed?

We've hunted for a few in our area, and none have had 'Not Found' logs due to the cache being picked up before another cacher arrived to hunt for it. (Though perhaps folks have just not been posting NFs.)

On the other hand, the geocaching community in western Montana is fairly small...

Ron/yumitori

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

We have one in Chicago that seems to work well. The cache hider has placed an awful lot of time and effort into this cache, and routinely makes the cache updated by his involvement. Take a look at his explanation for a pretty good implementation of the moving cache idea.

Twenty-three finds since October 2002, and only one not found because of stale coordinates.

This is the first workable moving cache mechanism I've seen, and it is apparent that it works well. The only drawback is that it does take a fair amount of work to keep it up to date. Still, the concept is wonderful. I would have no problem going for a cache of this type since there would be a high probability that *something* was there for me to find.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

We've hunted for a few in our area, and none have had 'Not Found' logs due to the cache being picked up before another cacher arrived to hunt for it. (Though perhaps folks have just not been posting NFs.)

On the other hand, the geocaching community in western Montana is fairly small...

Ron/yumitori

I think that's the problem around here. I'm in the Bay Area of California, and when a new cache is posted there is sometimes a rush to be FTF. With these moving caches, the people who aren't FTF spend time looking for something that isn't there and have to wait for the new coordinates before trying again.

I guess I could wait until the newness of a cache wears off and try to find one, but I still don't think I will look for one.

"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground."

Seems alot like a travel bug but without the fun of the travels map or distance traveled. The one I've encountered had been in my nearest list for months yet its alleged to be in New Orleans for a month according to the logs. Plus it got passed off to 2 other cachers with no coordinates update. I went looking for it once and of course it was gone. No biggie but I'll think twice before going out of my way to get one in the future.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

Moving caches, and their hiders, should be shot, drawn and quartered, hung, spat upon, disenherited, made fun of, told to sit in the corner, put on a high-stool and made to eat grits, forced to wear a dunce hat, killed, pierced, lanced, cut open and your body buried in a red anthill, your favorite tv show cancelled, and destroyed...

--majicman

We have one in Austin, TX that is a lot of fun! The primary rule, however, is that it has to stay within 20 miles of the capitol dome. It has been fun to watch where it goes, and see if you can get there first. We've only logged and moved it once, since we are farther away from the main area, but we will try again when we get the chance. icon_wink.gif

if you don't like 'em, don't go find 'em. there's a finder for whatever people want to hide, i'll bet.

there's probably even a finder for a personal injury cache.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.