For the big bad [IMG] tag removal debate...

Perrin

Ok, I've read most of the debate on the sig line stuff. It looks to me that most people who are upset about this are upset because they can't display their stat banners from keenpeople anymore.

I'm going to have to say "Big Deal" to this. Some of you seem to be trying to make it sound like you have no way to keep track of your stats here at gc.com.

But wait, OMG there is a way! If you really want to see your stats or have people look at your stats, or see some one elses stats, click on their name and take the link to their profile. Once there you can find a nice break down of all the different kinds of caches that person has found!

Granted you don't get to see how you rank compared to other cachers on that page, but if you asked nicely, maybe Jeremy would consider adding that little bit of programming (Note: I am not a programmer and have absolutely no idea if that would take a little or a lot of work.)

Those of you that are complaining about the removal of your images for other reasons, I'm sorry, but I don't have any suggestions for you.

"Sometimes you are a very large fool Perrin Aybara. Quite often in fact." Annoura Sedai (Book Nine of The WoT)

but if you asked nicely, maybe Jeremy would consider adding that little bit of programming

Uh icon_confused.gif I think that people have asked for, begged for and screamed for this functionality, but have been denied, since Jeremy feels it's not important.

If Jeremy should ever decide that this functionality is something that the users/customers deserve, I would like to politely ask that benchmarks also be included in the stats.

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

_but if you asked nicely, maybe Jeremy would consider adding that little bit of programming _

Uh icon_confused.gif I think that people have asked for, begged for and screamed for this functionality, but have been denied, since Jeremy feels it's not important.

If Jeremy should ever decide that this functionality is something that the users/customers deserve, I would like to politely ask that benchmarks also be included in the stats.

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

Well, mostly started a new one cuz, well I guess it was just for the hell of it. As for people asking about that function already, I wasn't aware that that had happened for sure until you told me.

I was just getting the impression that all these people forgot that their stats were kept on their profile page.

"Sometimes you are a very large fool Perrin Aybara. Quite often in fact." Annoura Sedai (Book Nine of The WoT)

quote:
Originally posted by rldill:

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Jeremy is working on stats among (probably) a multitude of other things.

Markwells anyone?

where/When did Jeremy say that?

He said that way back on August 19 (Canadazuuk provided a link above, but I'll cut/paste):

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Aren't all these polls 'unscientific'? icon_razz.gif

Yes.

quote:

Do people REALLY read all the stats in the sports section of their regional rag? And yet enough of them must. We seem addicted to stats.

Competitive sports are crazy with stats. Why? Because they're competitive.

Competitive sports have The Rules of The Game. The Rules dictate how a game is played, the rules on scoring, etc. In soccer there are timed quarters. In golf there are strokes.

In geocaching there is a point in space you have to reach. Once you reach that point you mark it as a find. It is all in good faith, there is no referee, and every cache is different.

Scoring, as a result, is pointless. Simply with find counts people have issues with only getting one find for a multicache. Others complain that Jack is logging his own cache to bump up his *score*. The pitch of competitive whine is more than sufficient without thrusting upon everyone ranking on the site.

Not that I'm ignoring the rumblings in the forum, however. We have been considering two concepts which could find its way on the web site, depending on interest:

1. Users check a box that says "Yes. I think points matter." Only those people become ranked in the system.

2. People can join groups and see rankings of their stats on the web site as a group.

I prefer #2. Both are opt-in and in this situation if everyone understands the complexity of "scoring" and doesn't come b!tch to me if someone cheats, we will consider adding it.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

It's becoming fairly obvious that more than a few people are interested in stats. There are quite a few reasons why some people like stats, but that's not the issue. Keenpeople.com and other stats sites are growing in popularity. One arguement against these sites is so few people participate - hence the advertisement (which was working, people are still signing up).

We haven't heard anything about either of these 2 possibilites since they were mentioned. I hope this doesn't take as long as the maps icon_frown.gif If people who want their data shared could do so, it would be great. Database access isn't even needed - the information could be sent with some variation of a pocket query I'm sure.

southdeltan

For OPT-IN STATS, GO HERE:

http://www.keenpeople.com/stats/

I am very lazy; it sounds like you have to manually enter your stats to have them show up on that site. I like to know stats, but not enough to submit 300 finds. The information exists in the geocaching.com database already, and it'd be nice if we were given an easy way to access it. I really don't think that stats=competition=nastiness, and I don't know why the powers that be are so negative about them. All the geocaching 'rivalry' I've seen has been very friendly, and though there are scattered instances of people 'padding' their numbers or making false logs, those things upset me more because they offend my sense of integrity than because I care that Team X's logging their own cache four times might put them in 427th place instead of 428th.

I am simply curious to know where we stand, in our state, or in general. I would like to say "wow, there are three thousand geocachers with more finds than we have. That's a lot of geocachers." What's the worst that could happen? I'd be motivated to get off my butt and find a few more caches in hopes of moving up a notch? C'mon. The most common use of numbers I've seen is to congratulate people when they hit nice round ones.

Perrin:

There is a lot going on and the stats image in the signature is only one part of a larger picture.

The bottom line though is that is was simple, a cool little feature and ultimatly resulted in some wrists being slapped. At least that's how it's perceived. It also punished some people who had been using a sig line image for a long time who were not part of the problem.

Nobody likes that. It adds fuel to a fire that is already burning in the forums.

Renegade Knight

Considering that you spend way more time posting in the forum than I do, I'll have to take your word for it. It's not like I had to have you say that to figure it out though. I figured there was more to it, as there is in every disagreement/debate.

Personally, I can't say I really had any feelings one way or the other. I was just amused by the fact that so many seemed very miffed about not getting to show off their stats in the forums anymore.

Maybe gc.com just needs to add a new page where everyone with an account is logged so those who want to see stats can see them, then they can leave them off the forum and everyone can have their image back. But then people will complain about those too and we start over.