Should this cache be allowed??

rock33

I tried post this cache yesterday. I was told since it fell under the guidelines of commercial it couldn’t be posted. You can cache during the day but if you choose to go at night there is a $ 6.00 charge ($5.00 if you print out the coupon). All the money collected at the gate goes back to the Indiana County Parks for next year’s festival. What does everyone think? It starts tonight.

Thanks

I don't know the details because we can't see the page, but there are many caches in places that require admission. Was it a temporary cache?

I know the admins usually don't approve those.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

A Fair Affair was approved - we visited it while in Minnesota - and it was a booth at the State Fair. Now, you have to realize, in Minnesota, visiting the State Fair is not considered partaking in a commercial activity - it is more like a civic duty and point of common pride!

But, without knowing more, I'd think that if your cache post indicates the hours when something is free vs. not, then it is entirely possible to avoid all commercial aspects of the cache by visiting during the 'free' hours. The exception to this that I can think of is if your cache is, for example, nothing more than a collection of discount buy-1-get-1-free coupons for the place being visited.

Yes - please post the details here so we can at least comment from an informed perspective, instead of guessing (like I'm about to do).

There was another cache around Indiana that was going to do a booth thing at a local festival. They had a hard time getting it approved because of the temporary nature of the booth. Many suggestions focused on placing a traditional cache nearby in the woods and then mentioning the booth as an additional spot to go to after finding the cache. That way the cache could be up year round, and still make reference to the booth.

But please, post so we can help you out more clearly.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

There are hundreds of caches in parks that require a fee to enter. We all know this. Caches have been approved at fairs and many other similar events. There are several moderators I understand. They aren't always on the same page. Sometimes they'll be busy clicking approve or disapprove for a long time online.

Not a perfect system here but it's the best cache site around so we just deal with things. They are reasonable and I suggest cutting and pasting comments from here into an email asking them to reconsider the cache.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

How come I can view the page? Anyway here is the contents:

NAUGHTY or NICE ???

This cache is accessible during the day but prime caching hours is evenings 5:30 to 10:00 Thursday through Sunday, November 28 through December 8 or nightly, December 12 through January 1

Located in Ernest, PA the Festival of Lights features activitues for the whole family.

The park is open during the day but for good family fun it’s highly recommended to cache at night. You must pay a $6.00 a car charge unless you have this coupon to receive $1.00 off your admission.

This is a holiday season theme cache. Be honest when signing the log. Were you naughty or nice, remember Santa always checks his list twice. Try to be discrete more than Santa may be watching. Have fun and HAPPY HOLIDAYS from Rock33 and Topogirl.

ALSO THE PARK IS FREE DURING THE DAY YOU ONLY HAVE TO PAY IN THE NIGHT FOR THE FESTIVALK OF LIGHTS.

quote:
Originally posted by rock33:

How come I can view the page? Anyway here is the contents:

You can view it because you sumited it.

quote:
This cache is accessible during the day but prime caching hours is evenings 5:30 to 10:00 Thursday through Sunday, November 28 through December 8 or nightly, December 12 through January 1

Did the admins say anything about the cache being temporary? icon_confused.gif

22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

This was not a cache I reviewed and declined to post, however in looking at it there is nothing about geocaching in it. Nothing about what size of cache or how it is hidden. The text is only about a festival of lights, complete with many links describing the event. Remember that in the context of the guidelines posted here:

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp

something can be considered "commercial" even if its free if the cache submission promotes an agenda rather than a cache.

I suspect that if it were submitted as a normal physical cache would be, but with a caveat that after sundown the cache seeker would have to pay a fee due to the Christmas light show in the park, there would be no objections to posting it.

The way it is currently written the approvers read it as a ploy to get people to view the Christmas lights, not a cache. We have nothing against Christmas light shows, but keep in mind that this site is all about geocaching. icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps.

erik - geocaching.com adminion

The purpose of this cache was to get the cacher to a site that he or she may not normally visit. Yes, you are correct. There is one caveat and that is the $6.00 charge if you choose to search at night. There is no admission to the park during the day, as it is a county park.

The nominal fee goes to a not for profit lighting of the festival for the following year.

The mentioning of the festival of lights was an additional tidbit of information if cachers chose to search for the cache at night. This is normal size cache hidden in a place that is conducive to its surroundings-no different that any other cache that has been hidden. The coordinates do take the cacher to an actual physical site. The cache is to be permanent, but the festival of lights is a temporary added attraction.

True, the wording could be a little different. I will edit the site and resubmit it. Thanks for your input.

quote:
Originally posted by rock33:

The cache is to be permanent, but the festival of lights is a temporary added attraction.

oh, good, when i read your description i thought it was temporary.

quote:

22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg