Bear with me on this question, ok?

Skippy2

Here I am, brand new and shiny, like a new penny, awed by this whole GeoCaching business. I've read all the FAQ's on my various wanderings around the Net on the subject, but have not found the answer. My question is:

I have Magellan Meridian GPS. (Not Gold, not Platinum, just Meridian) It is supposed to have 2Mb of onboard memory. The specs I have read on it, state that it can take up to 128Mb.

So (here comes the question) If I buy a 128Mb memory card for it, will I toast the works by trying to force the unit to go 2Mb over its limit?

After you stop laughing at my newbie question, pull yourself together and advise me on this weighty issue. (god willing)

Thanks in advance,

Don Schaaf

No avatar. Way to early in this game to figure out how to do it.

I'm sorry, I have no idea on anything concerning a Meridian Gold, Platinum or whatever, but we've got to do something about this avatar problem you speak of.

Here are some suggestions:

skippy.jpgskippy.gif

and of course:

SKIPPY.JPG

I hope that in some way this helps.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

The 2MB is the built-in memory for the basemap that came with your GPS, plus a few waypoints. (My wife has the same model as you do.)

Adding an SD memory card allows you to upload detailed maps to the card, and use them instead of the very-un-detailed basemap. It also allows you to save your tracks, routes, and waypoint to files on the SD card.

Each of ours has a 64MB SD card, and I've never filled them up. If I was going on a road-trip vacation to many states and would not have a laptop to upload new maps to my GPS, then I might need a larger card.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

The 2MB is the built-in memory for the basemap that came with your GPS, plus a few waypoints. (My wife has the same model as you do.)

Adding an SD memory card allows you to upload detailed maps to the card, and use them instead of the very-un-detailed basemap. It also allows you to save your tracks, routes, and waypoint to files on the SD card.

Each of ours has a 64MB SD card, and I've never filled them up. If I was going on a road-trip vacation to many states and would not have a laptop to upload new maps to my GPS, then I might need a larger card.

Thats right, I have the same model with 128 sd card. I have four states loaded, 62 meg used. The basemap is as useless as Roadster....

Rino 110

MeriGreen 128

quote:
Originally posted by tirediron:

icon_eek.gif Does no one else here have any taste??? There is only one answer, and it is obvious; "Chunks in Gravy"!!! (If any one actually figures out chunks of what, I would be interested icon_biggrin.gif)

Skippy the squirrel.

mmm, squirrel

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

What we really need is for one of you graphic gurus to cut and paste the squirrel's face onto the chunks and gravy can. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHHA - what a great bunch. And. . . whew! No one called me any names either. That's a great start, I think, as I leap into this new world of GeoCaching. (new to me)

Also, TY, guys, for the "Skippy" suggestions. Skippy, in real life is my 1 1/2 year old Rat Terrier. I had one as a kid and got this Skippy 60 years later. I'm 66 years old and sort of creak and clank around like the Tinman on a no-oil day. He makes me laugh and following him around gives me exercise.

I'm now going to read the FAQ's in this forum and find out how to create/post an avatar.

Thanks also for the info regarding the 128Mb memory card for the Meridian. I was just curious if it was okay to do the 128Mb card thing.

Regards,

Don Schaaf

There is no earthly reason for this post other than to see if my avatar is working. Since I am unable to preview the post, (I can't, right?) I'll just hit the "Post Now" button and hope for the best.

If it didn't work, please feel free to delete this post. I would, but you know the old story. Newbie, et. al.

Thanks

Skippy, try logging yourself out and then logging back in. That should make your avatar work. .... maybe .... hopefully....

...it could happen.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

What we really need is for one of you graphic gurus to cut and paste the squirrel's face onto the chunks and gravy can. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Like this?

49164_5200.jpg

"Ich erhielt zwei Drehscheiben und ein Mikrophon"

quote:
Skippy, in real life is my 1 1/2 year old Rat Terrier. I had one as a kid and got this Skippy 60 years later.

Are Rat Terriers not the coolest dogs ever?!! We have 2 of them. A 7 year old full sized Rat, and a 6 year old miniature Rat.

Best dogs we've every had!!

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

quote:
Originally posted by Skippy2:

Here I am, brand new and shiny, like a new penny, awed by this whole GeoCaching business. I've read all the FAQ's on my various wanderings around the Net on the subject, but have not found the answer. My question is:

I have Magellan Meridian GPS. (Not Gold, not Platinum, just Meridian) It is supposed to have 2Mb of onboard memory. The specs I have read on it, state that it can take up to 128Mb.

So (here comes the question) If I buy a 128Mb memory card for it, will I toast the works by trying to force the unit to go 2Mb over its limit?

After you stop laughing at my newbie question, pull yourself together and advise me on this weighty issue. (god willing)

Thanks in advance,

Don Schaaf

No avatar. Way to early in this game to figure out how to do it.

You will have no problem with a 128 mb chip. BTW, you can a 128mb chip at costco for about $50.00- Get the TOPO software, it includes street names, Magellan is also affering a 25 dollar rebate now also.