Flying for the 1st time...

Well... I suppose you should search for all the assorted threads about using a GPS when flying. American turned me down recently when I asked!

Anyway, yes, buckle up, and have fun!

I for one fly plenty, but happen to also be afraid of it! No rational reason for that, but I get freaked when the plane starts rolling! My religious beliefs defintely come out at that time because I start praying! Take-off and landing always get me going. The in-between doesn't bother me as much and I even look out the window and enjoy it some (but wish I could get there as fast on the ground).

Oh well... as much as I will brave many/most things, I am still scared when flying. Yet I also do it often because I love traveling!

Anyway, have fun and don't be a wimp like me!

pokeanim3.gif

I attend about a dozen conventions a year. I used fly to most of them. Since taking up geocaching I've haven't flown even once.

I usually tell the convention coordinator I'd rather drive and ask for my travel expenses in cash. That way I can leave a day or two early and cache on the way to the con and back.

I find it's very relaxing and enjoyable. I try to plan it so I can cache on my hit list every one to two hours along my planned route.

Really helps break up the driving time having something to look forward around the next bend.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

I've logged over 70K miles in the last 6 months including trips to Japan and Singapore. You'll have to take the laptop out of your carry on at the security station and put it in one of the tubs. Everything else can stay in the bag although I've noticed some airports are now requiring you to remove your cell phone as well. Just look for the signs.

I've never had a problem with a GPS, PDA, or MP3 player along with all the assorted cords, chargers, and batteries.

If the security folks want to look a little more closesly, just be calm and polite and everything will be fine. They're just doing their jobs. In fact, I find the TSA screeners to be more polite and professional than the private companies the airlines used to hire.

As for using your GPS in flight, it varies by airline. Someone once posted a link to website that covered all the various policies. Still, sometimes the flight attendants will change the rules. When in doubt, ask.

Otherwise, enjoy your trip. The kids should love DC.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

Make sure everything has charged batteries so that they can be easily powered up ... for carry on electronics you will likely be asked to step aside and hit the power button of each device (since terrorists always conceal bombs in fake electronics but never have the sense to wire a little power to the LCD screens).

You will also likely be asked to remove your shoes to have them scanned ... this can be a pain with youngsters so you might want to have everyone wear loafers.

Allow some extra time for all of this screening and otherwise just relax and have a good time.

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

quote:
Originally posted by GPS_Brian:

Make sure everything has charged batteries so that they can be easily powered up ... for carry on electronics you will likely be asked to step aside and hit the power button of each device (since terrorists always conceal bombs in fake electronics but never have the sense to wire a little power to the LCD screens).

You will also likely be asked to remove your shoes to have them scanned ... this can be a pain with youngsters so you might want to have everyone wear loafers.

I've never been asked to turn on any device that was inside the carry on with the exception of a cell phone. And that was just last week. I always have at least a PDA and GPS in my bag. Sometimes a pager, CD player, digital camera, or MP3 player. Once I was asked to turn on my laptop but that was in October of 2001.

Removing your shoes is also no longer required. However, if you set off the metal detector, you'll have to remove them. There are a couple of exceptions. I've seen people with shoes with metal attachments or very thick soles get stopped. If the kids are wearing tennis shoes, they'll be fine.

Interesting. It's been a rare exception flying out of IAD, DCA, or BWI that I do not get stopped and asked to turn on each piece of electronic gear. Probably less than 5% of flights. Maybe I look suspicious. icon_cool.gif

And it's been suprising to realize which of my shoes have metal plates in them! No tennis shoes of course, but my kids have been asked to remove thier tennis shoes at both DCA and SFO ... though that was a few months ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Runaround:

I've never been asked to turn on any device that was inside the carry on with the exception of a cell phone. And that was just last week. I always have at least a PDA and GPS in my bag. Sometimes a pager, CD player, digital camera, or MP3 player. Once I was asked to turn on my laptop but that was in October of 2001.

Removing your shoes is also no longer required. However, if you set off the metal detector, you'll have to remove them. There are a couple of exceptions. I've seen people with shoes with metal attachments or very thick soles get stopped. If the kids are wearing tennis shoes, they'll be fine.

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

The length of time to get through security at ATL gets really bad on some days. The weekends are the worst, and you may want to check with someone at Delta to get a time forecast for the day you plan to travel. Sometimes I get through in a few minutes, sometimes it takes an hour or more. It was really bad early this summer. I often carry my laptop, GPS, and camera on-board and the only thing they require is that you take the laptop out of the bag and put it through the scanner in a tray by itself. Be sure to remove all jewelry, change and anything else that may set off the detectors, because if it goes off they are going to search you thoroughly and it may take 10 or 15 minutes. Check your shoes for nails with the little gadget on the floor next to the walk-through detector. I have one pair of dress shoes that I have to take off or they set the dang thing off every time. Try to use the kiosks to check in if there is a line at the counter, that can save time and it is easy.

Have fun!

CharlieP

quote:
Originally posted by GPS_Brian:

Interesting. It's been a rare exception flying out of IAD, DCA, or BWI that I do not get stopped and asked to turn on each piece of electronic gear. Probably less than 5% of flights. Maybe I look suspicious.

Strange how it all works. I've been in and out of all 3 at least twice and never had a problem. Must be you. Maybe if you left the burka at home?

Although, I do own one black Samsonite overnight bag that gets the swab-on-the-stick bomb sniffing wipe down every time I use it. It must fit a profile of some type. I keep asking why that bag gets picked but the TSA folks just keep saying it's a random search. I even asked a woman wearing a "supervisor" badge but she also said it was random. Yeah, right. You can ask any of my co-workers, that bag gets checked 100% of the time. It's become a running joke on road trips.

When an item is dropped from a very high place (like a sky diver) it will accelerate up to a certain point and then will not fall any faster. This is called terminal velocity.

Just remember, when you're standing in line at the airport, that you're moving at "terminal velocity." icon_biggrin.gif

==============?If it feels good...do it?===============

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it!")**

Don't....take the train instead.

I stopped flying after:

A plane I was on dropped in mid air ( it recovered...but scraed me to death).

A client of mine was blown up on TWA800 and I had to see her death cert.

Also my dad worked security under the "new" guidelines ( ie. after 911, the new crew). He is no longer doing that..it was to mind numbing for him.From what he told me which was not any kind of classified info, just day to day operations, ( I will not repeat it though), I would again, never fly. The security is all a show.

Amtrak is too fun and a great way to travel.

quote:

A plane I was on dropped in mid air...

If a plane's going to drop, I think 9 out of 10 passengers would agree that mid-air's the place to do it. Dropping close to the ground would have been substantially more memorable.

quote:

Amtrak is too fun and a great way to travel.

I agree, I took the train from Atlanta to Lynchburg, VA recently to pick up a car, and had a great trip. They're a little fanatical about seating, though ... no assigned seating until you get on, then the attendants TELL you where to sit... talk about comfort though! Nice, wide seats and a ridiculous amount of legroom! Try that on Delta!

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

Flight to DC went well except I forgot to take off my cell phone. I emptied my pockets of everything else metal but of course the phone set off the sensor. Minor delay for the search. Everyone was very polite. It only took 5-10 minutes. It would of taken much much longer had they decided to search my bag.

No problems using the GPS. They didn't even notice that I left it on during the decent. I even got the lady next to me interested in Geocaching.

I was surprised not to find anywhere to plug in my laptop, however. I was under the illusion that there would be a place to plug in my airline power adapter. My battery is nearly dead. Where's the best place to get good prices for laptop batteries?