Too close to homes.

Nurse Dave

We went on easy caches yesterday and were suprised to see that 3 of the 4 were within eye shot of at least one home, one was even 12' from an apartment parking lot and some apartments without an obstructed view. I'm thinking this is a little crazy. Unless the people in the homes were the ones to place the caches (I doubt everyone in the apartments got together to do this), they are risking the neighbors questioning what all the people are messing with close to the house and possibly taking the cache. We went to another on Sunday that we are pretty sure is missing and it is the same way, in full view of a whole side of a house.

---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

Lately I've been hitting a lot of easier ones in city parks, and I've noticed the same thing on some of them. I have to assume the hiders have considered the risk in these cases, and hopefully they won't blame finders if their cache turns up pillaged/vandalized/stolen. For the most part, only the hider loses if a cache is disturbed (though obviously someone might be upset that a premium item they left or a travel bug was lost. In this case, the finder should consider the risk).

Personally, I find a certain thrill in finding these hidden items, out in the open but just below most people's radar. It often involves a very clever cache design or hiding place. On the other hand, a Tupperware container plopped in a shrub in the middle of a boulevard is at risk *and* pretty uninteresting.

I found my first true urban cache last week. It was very cool, not on a main street but still populated enough to be a challenge (I did wonder about the house whose yard began a few feet from the bush it was in). Unfortunately, as might be expected, it didn't last much more than a week before it went AWOL.

[This message was edited by dinoprophet on August 13, 2002 at 09:28 AM.]

By my count, this is your third topic whining about one thing or another in the past week. First you are upset by not good enough stuff in caches, then by having to figure out where to park all by yourself, and now you are upset at the thought of caching near houses.

May I gently suggest that if you find geocaching this stressful, it might not be the best activity for you?

I am also of the belief that the urban caches provide a thrill that rural caches sometimes lack. The not getting "caught" aspect provides a nice rush.

Anybody (well, judging by my own not-found logs, I shouldn't say that) can walk through the woods and find a cache, but it takes other skills to stealthily search for an open concept cache without drawing suspicion.

One of the first caches I ever did was out in the open, hidden in plain sight. I think this cache really helped get me hooked on geocaching. It made me wonder how many bushes I've walked by in my life that have tupperware stashed in them. I have never looked at bushes the same way since! If you're ever in Danville, Illinois, check it out:

Stars and Stripes

[This message was edited by Globetrotter on August 14, 2002 at 06:52 AM.]

[This message was edited by Globetrotter on August 14, 2002 at 06:54 AM.]

I guess becuase I'm new I haven't read previous threads on these topics, but I have found out:

1) Many other people think it's too bad people throw junk into caches instead of just not trading.

2) Some other people also feel that the sport starts when you get out of your car.

3) Apparently there are many caches in parks yet still in public view. My concern being for the people that hide them having them stolen.

4) If you find my messages stressful you just shouldn't read them.

---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave:

We went on easy caches yesterday and were suprised to see that 3 of the 4 were within eye shot of at least one home, one was even 12' from an apartment parking lot and some apartments without an obstructed view. I'm thinking this is a little crazy.

That's what makes it fun. My favorite was on a public sidewalk in a downtown: STUMPED. Another one that freaked out some cachers is in the front yard of a house in plain view of the neighbors: Central Oregon Urban Cache.

If it bothers you, ignore these types of caches. There's plently of cache types for everyone's taste--or at least there was until the locationless caches were canned. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave:

We went on easy caches yesterday and were suprised to see that 3 of the 4 were within eye shot of at least one home, one was even 12' from an apartment parking lot and some apartments without an obstructed view. I'm thinking this is a little crazy.

That's what makes it fun. My favorite was on a public sidewalk in a downtown: STUMPED. Another one that freaked out some cachers is in the front yard of a house in plain view of the neighbors: Central Oregon Urban Cache.

If it bothers you, ignore these types of caches. There's plently of cache types for everyone's taste--or at least there was until the locationless caches were canned. icon_frown.gif

quote:

The gentlest way to "suggest" to an individual, is by private e-mail.

Why? This detracts from the community. People like to hear lots of opinions so unless you want to tell someone they are an a$$, leave it in the forums!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I also prefer caches hidden in the forest. You never know when you might come across a few girls out sunbathing. OK, OK, I know it's just a fantasy…….

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................