No more Forums or Cache listings for me.

TEAM 360

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

To all you who say: "Don't let the door hit ya", I am not going anywhere, except to get away from types like you here in these forums.

Okay! http://www.radioparadise.com/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_wave.gif Bye!

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif

_"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."_

The fact that this site has advertisment banners, has now classified it as commercial. I'm sure the businesses that are paying for the advertising do not like to see bickering among the fellow members on this forum; the more members, the most likely they are to sell products.

For this reason, I think the administrators would want to make every effort to accomadate requests such as holding "Virtual Caches".

Possibly hold a vote among members; even having the vote only for "premium" members?

At any rate, a simple "no, you can't have it" doesn't solve anything.

I have to admit that I am feeling a bit hurt over this.

Team360 has set some nice caches in my area. I've enjoyed finding them. I especially got a kick out of one he set last Friday. Now his creativity is gone from this website. He may think he is making a stand against geocaching.com, but he is hurting the local Arizona geocachers. To find any of his caches now, I will have to go to a website I don't particularly care for nor will I have my stats in one convenient place anymore. I doubt I will bother to look for his caches in the future unless they are listed at this site.

Sorry you feel that way Jeff. I hate to see you go.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Awe come on Team 360! What exactly happened to turn you against geocaching.com? I have read your posts (most of them) and have found nothing wrong with them or the things you mention (this is a free country the last I heard). Suck up your pride and come on back as the new and improved Team 360.

Team 360, you've gone and done a 180, now, how about doing another 180 and be Team 360 again at geocaching.com.

Plays With Matches.

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

He isn't cutting his nose off to spite his face if he continues to look for caches listed here.

My argument is that he will be by moving his existing caches - by shifting them over there, a drastically reduced number of people will find them.

By getting upset, and moving them in the heat of the moment, and in a blur of forum-licity, he's basically stopping people from visiting his caches - which is the whole point of putting the effort into placing them, surely?

Of course, he could have had the best of both worlds by posting to both sites. By continuing to hunt for caches through this site, he proves my point - nobody hunts for caches using the other site.

But it appears that we have differing opinions on this matter. Live and let live, I guess.

------

"There's Sparticus. That's him, over there."

Trying to prove a point, or posting in frustration, usually leads to problems and arguing. If you want to show a fact in the forum, its best to post a link to a site that has some info on a FACT, but dont Quote anybody in frustration or when trying to prove a point. NOT GOOD.

----------------------------------------------------------

Pictures of the insides of my Old GPS V

My Home Page about what is GPS

Geoff

- Geocaching, DiscGolfing & Rollercoasters

I'll say it: I am very happy with the quality of service provided by Geocaching.com. I believe that the system is in good working order, is responsive to legitimate needs by the subscribers, and offers a quality product for the miniscule amount I pay, or, for that matter, the amount I can choose NOT to pay. The forums have provided me with a great deal of entertainment and information, and I have come to enjoy some of the people's voices on them, though I may never meet them. The cache system established and supported by GC.com is incredible, given the diverse population that uses it. The maintenance of the site has always been on quick and appropriate, and I feel that even though there are some areas that could be improved, I am thrilled to be able to access the wealth of good, clean fun provided by the proprietors of the site.

Now, am I trying to ingratiate myself to the administrators because I choose to compliment them on their efforts? Am I less of a cacher because I don't post a complaint or some silly response in every thread? Am I dissatisfied because I don't have this feature, or that one, because, well, I just want it, and I want it right now? Am I incited to blind anger just because my virtual was denied? Should I be able to post anything, including insults to other forum members, and the volunteers who staff the site, because I am faceless behind my avatar? These sound more like the attitudes of petulant children than intelligent adults.

My point is that this is a game, folks. The tone of the forums over the past month or so has been spiralling away from geocaching into geobashing. Good threads are buried by threads rife with whining and anger over trivialities. If I was a newbie coming to the forums, I might find it disconcerting if every second or third thread is a negative one. By the looks of it, fewer and fewer posts are being made by voices other than the pessimists, who seem to be so ego-bound as to feel that their ideas are the only ones that count, that their voices are the only ones that have rights, and that their voices are by sanctioned by divine inspiration.

My point is, if you want to leave, do so. If you want to start your own site, do so. If you want to create another forum, do so. But let's put some fun back in these forums, and stop berating the people who, I honestly believe, are trying thier hardest to make this game possible for us. (This is the end of my rant; thank you for listening.)

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Eh GotGPS? Are you saying that I can't continue an on-topic discussion I was having with Zaphod because I'm not allowed to quote him?

How would he know that I was directing my opinion towards him, and not anyone else?

------

"There's Sparticus. That's him, over there."

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

My argument is that he will be by moving his existing caches - by shifting them over there, a drastically reduced number of people will find them.

Not really, they are still listed at gc.com and you can still find them. But the new finders of these old caches will have to notice the situation and the conflict.

It is the future caches which you may have to search and log *elsewhere*. BTW I think that the admins should indeed be discouraged from uttering the "go post it elsewhere" mantra. Ain't they got any better arguments?

quote:
Originally posted by Metaphor:

I'll say it: I am very happy with the quality of service provided by Geocaching.com

No wonder, since you aren't into into benchmarking, and since the only virt you placed was actually a trad before being converted.

That's precisely the point, that gc.com tries to serve a certain category of its users, and banish, restrict, or ignore those with more diverse interests.

I don't get this at all. Don't undo all the good that you have done.

You are only hurting your local caching group by archiving all of your caches. I would never do that to my friends.

WHY NOT duel post them so everyone can benefit from your generosity. I keep meaning to duel post mine and I will also post them on any other caching site that pops up. It's good not to put ALL of your eggs in one basket. That is what you are doing all over again.

THERE ARE WAYYY MORE POSITIVES THAN NEGATIVES HERE AND THIS IS STILL THE BEST PLACE BE. (Sheesh. Take the bad with the good.)

BTW- Can someone email me what the heck is going on. I must have missed something.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

It has been said of me that there is no cutoff switch between my brain and my mouth. In this case between my brain and my typing fingers.

I have gotten heated and said and done things that I really felt at the moment...only to regret it afterwards. We are all human and subject to making mistakes. The best way to deal with the mistake is to meet it head on and get out in the open.

What I'm trying to say is...if you change your mind 360, let us know. There will be no hard feelings and in a couple of days it will be forgotten about, even by the hardcore cynics.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

It has been said of me that there is no cutoff switch between my brain and my mouth. In this case between my brain and my typing fingers.

I have gotten heated and said and done things that I really felt at the moment...only to regret it afterwards. We are all human and subject to making mistakes. The best way to deal with the mistake is to meet it head on and get out in the open.

What I'm trying to say is...if you change your mind 360, let us know. There will be no hard feelings and in a couple of days it will be forgotten about, even by the hardcore cynics.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

The voice of reason. I agree.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

We have seen that you can't use the 'N' word to promote the other web site, but I just created an account over there.

They have put together some kind of promotional campaign over there with cashe prizes in the caches along with gps receivers and other goodies.

Check it out. I am off to find my first treasure!

I agree with MOCKBA. My virtual was a traditional until it was plundered three times. Rather than give up a really fine area and view of the Chesapeake Bay to some misguided plunderer, I made it a virtual. It will be a traditional again. My other virtual (a real Viet Nam era B-52) was denied, and I thought "no big deal, they'll obviously notice it when they go to the traditional cache I placed near it." Benchmarks are fun, but aren't really caches. Does the other site offer benchmarks? I'm not sure. Waypoint.org does offer historical and other interesting coordinates, which can be as interesting as some of the virtuals out there... The most interesting virtuals I have done were certainly worthy to be considered a challenge -- both were airplane crashes in the Catskill Mountains -- and there are a couple of them I'm saving to find in some urban areas where traditional caches just won't work. But finding a drive-by road sign or a visible landmark? I'm not really going to fight for those. The really good ones -- sure. Traditional caches are the mainstay of the site, and the others are sidelines, designed to complement, but not replace the actual finding of something, hence the term "cache." I enjoy the other forms when I find good ones, and will continue to do so, but to log the three water towers I drive by every day as I go to work is not as interesting to me. Finding a really old one, or one in a very interesting spot (I used to find them before GC.com when I lived in the Adirondacks and in the Catskills) would interesting to me. If I was to begin a serious search for benchmarks, maybe I would feel differently, and if others strongly felt the same, a separate site would emerge, devoted to benchmarks and their aficienados.

My point is that the site is the best out there, I'm happy with what it offers, and the alternatives to the traditionals it does offer, as well as the forums, are pretty good. So why beat it down? There are alternatives out there that one could subscribe to -- not as good in my opinion, but certainly available for use. As for benchmarks, I'm not sure what GC.com could do to make them better, as they do not have any control over the type and style of information they can post. In a sense, simply providing a vehicle to log benchmarks is a plus. What is the ratio of pluses to minuses?

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

I'm glad I have a life other than just geocaching and the forums. I find about 95% of all of these posts VERY amusing. Please keep up the entertainment...LOL!!

"Sometimes you gotta look like an *** to get that cache!"...huntforit

quote:
Originally posted by Trogdor!:

35 years ago, long before I ever... etc... upset over a game shows that you have some serious issues you need to deal with.

When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Including all the stuff in the middle that I cut out, Yes, exactly..... Common sense, well expressed. Good post!

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

Is there a rule about posting caches on multiple sites? RK's forum suicide form is right on target. Heres my analogy. I get my coffee at the corner quikiemart, because it's the best on my route to work. They have crappy donuts there, but there is a Krispy Kreme driveup 3 blocks away. Their coffee sucks bad, but the donuts....... DooooNuuuuts. Anyways, I hit them both, every morning. Problem solved.

quote:
Originally posted by BadAndy:

I get my coffee at the corner quikiemart, because it's the best on my route to work. They have crappy donuts there, but there is a Krispy Kreme driveup 3 blocks away. Their coffee sucks bad, but the donuts....... DooooNuuuuts. Anyways, I hit them both, every morning. Problem solved.

Could I start riding to work with you? The guy I carpool with won't stop ANYWHERE! icon_razz.gif

The empty can rattles the most...

quote:

I have archived my caches (except for the Plaque) and listed them on the other "N" site. Was told by an Admin here that if I didn't like the rules, to go somewhere else. Okay, I will. Thanks for the advice. Not a problem to list Virtuals over there. Not coming back into the forums here, either. Had enough of the harassment by Jomarac5. OH, I WILL STILL GEOCACHE, and get my finds from here (for the time being), but I am not LISTING any more of my caches or taking abuse in these forums. I hope this will serve as a wake up call for everyone.

TEAM 360.

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on September 16, 2003 at 11:16 AM.]

Good riddance!!!

WOW!, reading some of the forum posts lately where people seem to be injured, you'd think geocaching was a contact sport. Could it be tied in to the start of football season?

Rather than try to include my own two cents worth, I'll just say I like Trogdor's and Metaphors post's amongst others, and team up with El Diablo in saying no hard feelings should your thought change after a couple days of cooling off. (Wouldn't want to **** El Diablo off as he has access to big sticks! icon_biggrin.gif)

Seriously folks, if such small and relatively insignificant things as geocaching are getting you into such a huff, then life must really be pretty good. Step back for a second and think about how great life must really be if you've got the time and energy to get really involved in, and worked up over a game like this.....

This is all very sad. If TPTB won't list a virtual, and you feel THAT strongly about it, sure go ahead and list it on another site. The thing that bothers me is the schoolboy mentality of "I'm going and I'm taking my ball with me" that I last experienced in the playground long ago.

If your, already approved, caches were worth the effort of listing here then it seems a shame to remove them from the GC community. Sure a few people may have had a go at you... this happens in life (and will probably happen on another site.) Have the people who found your caches annoyed you? Has the majority of people in the GC community annoyed you? I guess that you, and others who've done this, have only had "words" with a handful of people. If you solicit opinions over a cache approval, you have to be able to accept that some, maybe even the majority, are going to agree with TPTB if they see the reasons behing their decision to be just. If you can't accept this, my advice is to not solicit opinion.

We need people with differing opinions in the game so that it can grow and develop. This is not meant as a personal attack on the starter of this thread, far from it. It's just that I've seen a few of these threads now, and I thought that this was as good a place as any to post my feelings.

If anybody disagrees with anything I've said here... go ahead and tell me... I'm a big boy... I can take it.

Neil.

Proud to support the GAGB

These forums are just a drop in the bucket as far as geocaching is concerned. The vast majority of geocachers out there never come here. Those geocachers simply enjoy the act of caching without the drama of a message board. This forum is pretty tame compared to others I visit. Disagreement is the price you pay for dealing with people.

It is easy to get all worked up on the boards. I have typed when all hot and bothered when I should have simply walked away from the computer for the night.

As for not having caches approved, I have been denied a couple caches by an approver. No big deal. Just adapt a new gameplan and go from there. The approver is just doing their job.

Most of the virtuals out there can have a cache at the location. A micro slapped on the back of a sign nearby with a mention of the great view or historical marker on the cache page would get the nod.

The approvers are volunteers. They are just following the rules. These guys and gals get enough grief already. Why do some not realize that? Being an approver seems like a pretty thankless job. But if it were not for them it would take weeks, not a day or two to get a cache approved.

Just be nice to them and you will go farther than putting them down. What is the saying? You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Try it. It will get you much farther than complaining and put downs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with what 360's doing. Maybe he did it as a knee-jerk reaction, or maybe he gave it some thought beforehand - I don't know.

What I do know is that competition stimulates innovation. GC.com doesn't have much competition right now and thus has no reason to innovate. If you look around, you'll notice that things have been going backwards. Virtual caches used to be welcome. We used to be able to submit locationless caches. Forum topics didn't necessarily *have* to be about geocaching (continue this story by 5 words...).

What I've been seeing here lately is exactly the opposite of what should be happening. We're losing functionality instead of gaining it. Voicing an opinion that could be considered "offensive" in the forums is being restricted instead of promoted, for no other reason than political correctness.

Groundspeak is trying to mold the future of the activity into their vision of it, instead of embracing the ideas and desires of the participants. IMHO, that's not a very good way to run a business and as soon as they have some serious competition, they'll either have to adapt to what their customers want or fold.

There will be competition. Make no mistake about it. This is a rapidly growing activity and others, with deeper pockets than Groundspeak, will want to capitalize on it.

The only ace that Groundspeak has up their sleeve is the current database of caches. That data can't be legally mined from the site and the cache descriptions are owned by the cache placers. A new geocaching venture would have to come up with a way to entice people to re-list their caches on the new site or add their new caches there.

Back to 360 and the "N" site. Team 360 leaving and taking his ball to the kids across the street doesn't hurt the game and it doesn't hurt the experience of other cachers in his area. Those cachers are welcome to log onto the other site and look for new Team 360 caches, and to seek them out. There's nothing that says you can only use one geocaching site. Perhaps if enough cachers got sufficiently fed up with GC.com, for whatever their reasons, and enough people started looking for new caches from those people on other geocaching sites, those other sites would start to grow in popularity and caches. Maybe Groundspeak would even have some real competition eventually. That would be a Good Thing - for the other sites, for the activity of geocaching, even for Groundspeak.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

This may have already been covered.

for those of you that are new here, This is the second time Team 360 has picked up their toys and gone home. The first time was over a lizard avatar.

Doesn't sound like someone knows how to play well with others

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

cache_new.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and To find any of his caches now, I will have to go to a website I don't particularly care for nor will I have my stats in one convenient place anymore. I doubt I will bother to look for his caches in the future unless they are listed at this site.

So you enjoy visiting his caches and appreciate his skill as a hider, but you won't seek his caches anymore because you will not be able to add a smiley face to your list on gc.com??

That seems a bit silly to me. Its not about the numbers, its about enjoying yourself outside in nature.

And finding his caches now just require you to look elsewhere but certainly not any harder to find than here. Its still on the internet...

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:
... Virtual caches used to be welcome. We used to be able to submit locationless caches....Groundspeak is trying to mold the future of the activity into their vision of it, instead of embracing the ideas and desires of the participants.

Virtual caches were developed for use in areas (like national parks), where real caches weren't allowed. Then people started going overboard, by submitting virtuals for rotting animal carcasses, discarded sneakers, fence posts (all real submissions), and every flagpole, roadside marker, or plaque in existence.

I think the tightning of the rules was warranted. There is no ban on virtuals, but if you want to list one, you'd better have an interesting site and a darn good reason why a real cache can't be incorporated. I think that's a reasonable requirement.

As far as I know, they plan to allow the listing of "locationless caches" in the future, once there has been a re-design of the website.

And as far as their ban on moving caches, it's Groundspeak's vision to protect the future of this sport. The approval process was put in place to keep caches off private property and out of places where they aren't welcome. And where regulations are in effect, to make sure they are being followed. Moving caches circumvent the approval process and can wind up in spots that could draw negative attention to our sport.

I can only hope that any competing websites are as responsible as GC.COM and don't screw things up for the rest of us in their attempt to lure GC.COM users away with liberal cache placement policies.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 17, 2003 at 06:22 AM.]

quote:

GET OFF IT. THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE IS TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM MORONS LIKE YOU. LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE AND QUIT TALKING ABOUT ME BEHIND MY BACK.

First, its not behind your back when its in OPEN forums.

Second, If, as you say, you were not comming back why are you still here? Be a man of your words. Go Away.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

cache_new.jpg

We're with searchin_ut and cruzin' on this.

There will always be change, for good and bad. This is true in the BIG World and in our little corner of it. Our happiness in it is dependant on how we respond to the change. If we are strongly attached to something we will resist the change and if nesseccary, after finding that resisting or forcing change is too difficult, we may simply remove ourselves from the environment we find intolerable. No discraace in that. We did what we needed to do to maintain our integrity and I think that is what Team_360 did.

Of greater importance, though, is how we manage ourselves during the "crisis". If we maintain composure and dignity we can make an grceful exit without causing further suffering within a supposedly faultering system.

We engage in this sport enjoyment for enjoyment and frequent the forums in search of information that will enhance the enjoyment. If we find that this isn't working we'll find another way to enjoy ourselves in the sport and without conspicuous "I'm leaving for good this time...this is really my last post...really...I meant it..." fanfare.

Lastly, I hope that we all enjoy this sport in conjunction with other things in life! How wonderful it would be if we applied the passion some of us have for hiding tupperware in the woods to world situations having TRUE local or global significance!

Let us all live our lives to teh fullest: work hard, play hard. But put the bulk of your energy into making a true difference and let the small stuff go!

"Now may every living thing, young or old, weak or strong, living near or far, known or unknown, living or departed or yet unborn, may every living thing know happiness!"

quote:

LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE AND QUIT TALKING ABOUT ME BEHIND MY BACK.

Excellent idea.

I respectfully call for a complete and total voluntary ban on mentioning Team 360 or his antics in the forums ever again. It's really not worth the time to talk about.

Whenever someone mentions Team 360, they should be linked here. To this post. The moment in time where every other geocacher agrees not to feed ... er... mention Team 360 again.

Pan

Here there be tigers. - My response when asked by a fellow Geocacher to describe the attitude of the forums.

quote:

GET OFF IT. THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE IS TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM MORONS LIKE YOU. LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE AND QUIT TALKING ABOUT ME BEHIND MY BACK.

Deleted your post hey? Someone got a hot-head and not thinking straight? I thought you said you are leaving here. So leave! Your little trick of saying you are leaving and hoping everyone will say "no, please don't" did not work!

If you say you are leaving then leave and don't come back or read these forums. You said you weren't going to.

As I said before, good riddance! We don't need the likes of you here. And people seem to agree on this one.

quote:

Deleted your post hey? Someone got a hot-head and not thinking straight? I thought you said you are leaving here. So leave! Your little trick of saying you are leaving and hoping everyone will say "no, please don't" did not work!

If you say you are leaving then leave and don't come back or read these forums. You said you weren't going to.

As I said before, good riddance! We don't need the likes of you here. And people seem to agree on this one.

I don't think we need people who would say this.

quote:
Originally posted by Greenback:

quote:

I don't think we need people who would say this.

I agree.. RobertM seems like he has a few issues of his own; anger management should be in his future.

My original post seemed to be directed solely towards Team 360. However, it was more so directed towards the majority of the threads I've been reading in these forums last last few months.

quote:
Originally posted by etalon910:

I agree.. RobertM seems like he has a few issues of his own; anger management should be in his future.

No issues here, except with Team360. He's a big stirrer in these forums and is very antogonistic, hence my previous posts. We don't need the likes of that here. Go and read his posts in various of the topics and you'll see what I'm referring to.