How's this for non-threatening?

ClayJar

We recently had LAGG-2 down here in Louisiana, and everybody brought something to add to a "memorial cache" to be placed in the park. Since there is a strong rodent presence in the park (it's full of rubber squirrels -- they don't run, they bounce everywhere they go), I wanted to use an ammo can. However, since it's a suburban park (and one of the best disc golf courses in the region), I didn't want it to look threatening, lest it scare someone (or get "blowed up").

Anyway, the cache is Remains of the Day (LAGG-2). It is hidden in a spot where I cannot imagine anyone but a cacher or maybe a watcher (one who observes a cacher and goes to check out what they were doing) would go. The paint job I ended up with is here:

29364_200.jpg

Note the nice dark navy satin enamel finish, accented with a light speckling of silver paint. I stenciled Louisiana in silver on the sides, and then I labelled it in black paint pen. (I would have liked to give it a couple coats of clear-coat enamel, but I had none on hand and I ran out of time.)

I wrote the GCID and the www.geocaching.com address on the Louisiana stencils on each side, and on the bottom is the cache name, address, and "DO NOT REMOVE (Please)". On the top and sides are written "Logbook Inside" and "Join the Game".

Anyway, so how do you think I did with regards to non-threatening-ness?

I think it looks great. No matter what you put on it though, there will always be some numbskull who’ll make an issue out of it. The more you make it look innocent the more suspicious it will appear. Even if you put yellow smileys and write “THIS DOES NOT CONTAIN A BOMB OR DRUGS, JUST OPEN IT AND LOOK!”

I would take great personal pride if one of my caches, clearly marked or not, were blown up by the feds after some nitwit called and reported it. I absolutely refuse to “dumb down” my caches (or anything else I do) to the lowest moronic denominator.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

Notice how I expressly avoided making it look *too* inviting, not to mention anything that would tell anyone to open it. I tried to make it look non-threatening, but also to make it so that someone that finds it and wants to know more can find out more. There's no way to prevent the wackos from being, well, wackos, but at least those who haven't completely lost their heads will have something to go on.

They'll see that there's a number on it, and they'll see that there's a website about it. If they look closer, they'll see mention of a logbook inside, and something that refers to it as a game. A thoroughly inquisitive yet somewhat aprehensive person stands a good chance of having this settle them enough to look into it, and hopefully, to join in with us. There's enough there that they don't have to panic straight up, which would likely be the first reaction if it were a standard ammo can.

If, perchance, they do open it, right there on the top, folded so the top paragraph can be read right there and the bottom can be read if you pick it up and flip the snack-size ziploc over, is the cache explanation doc. I've seen too many caches with the doc slid in on the side of the can where it can only be found by a thorough search. One snack-size ziploc and a few folds are all it takes to make it stay on top.

Anyway, considering I know some people who would panic if they saw a thermos that fell out of a disc golfer's bag, there's no way to calm them all down, but it's hidden well enough that they shouldn't run across it, so I think we're safe for now.

(You know what? I referred to a selection of non-cachers as "wackos"... I wonder how they'd refer to us... icon_wink.gif)

Notice how I expressly avoided making it look *too* inviting, not to mention anything that would tell anyone to open it. I tried to make it look non-threatening, but also to make it so that someone that finds it and wants to know more can find out more. There's no way to prevent the wackos from being, well, wackos, but at least those who haven't completely lost their heads will have something to go on.

They'll see that there's a number on it, and they'll see that there's a website about it. If they look closer, they'll see mention of a logbook inside, and something that refers to it as a game. A thoroughly inquisitive yet somewhat aprehensive person stands a good chance of having this settle them enough to look into it, and hopefully, to join in with us. There's enough there that they don't have to panic straight up, which would likely be the first reaction if it were a standard ammo can.

If, perchance, they do open it, right there on the top, folded so the top paragraph can be read right there and the bottom can be read if you pick it up and flip the snack-size ziploc over, is the cache explanation doc. I've seen too many caches with the doc slid in on the side of the can where it can only be found by a thorough search. One snack-size ziploc and a few folds are all it takes to make it stay on top.

Anyway, considering I know some people who would panic if they saw a thermos that fell out of a disc golfer's bag, there's no way to calm them all down, but it's hidden well enough that they shouldn't run across it, so I think we're safe for now.

(You know what? I referred to a selection of non-cachers as "wackos"... I wonder how they'd refer to us... icon_wink.gif)

I'm pretty sure that's safe. Heck we just use normal buy at the store ammo boxes and they work. We also use clear tupperware containers and wrap the sides in electrical tape, but you can still see inside through the top and bottom. It looks good, I'm sure it'll be fine.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Notice how I expressly avoided making it look *too* inviting...

Don't want it to be inviting? Just stencil "UROLOGY DEPT." on the outside and no one will go near it. Of course, you might use that for the name of the cache so cachers know what it is. icon_wink.gif

"Go ahead, you open it....No, I'm not gonna open it....YOU open it....Nah"

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Notice how I expressly avoided making it look *too* inviting...

Don't want it to be inviting? Just stencil "UROLOGY DEPT." on the outside and no one will go near it. Of course, you might use that for the name of the cache so cachers know what it is. icon_wink.gif

"Go ahead, you open it....No, I'm not gonna open it....YOU open it....Nah"

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

I would hate to see what gets left behind when people visit that cache. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

I would hate to see what gets left behind when people visit that cache. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

I painted an ammo-box brown one time, but I guess in some eyes it still would look "militant." I think blue with the graphics, or the geocaching stencil that I've seen on Buck8Point's caches would be a somewhat settling identifying mark along with the website. Also, I like the "Logbook Inside" on it. What kind of serious threat is going to have a logbook connected with it? I've always settled for "No Danger" or "see details inside." Once someone mentioned they almost picked up a rat-hotel that was mistaken for my cache. Maybe we could get a "NO POISON" skull-and-crossbones with a universal NO through it. That should be fun to explain. Then again, ANY skull and crossbones (even with a NO through it) would probably be trouble. icon_rolleyes.gif

I painted an ammo-box brown one time, but I guess in some eyes it still would look "militant." I think blue with the graphics, or the geocaching stencil that I've seen on Buck8Point's caches would be a somewhat settling identifying mark along with the website. Also, I like the "Logbook Inside" on it. What kind of serious threat is going to have a logbook connected with it? I've always settled for "No Danger" or "see details inside." Once someone mentioned they almost picked up a rat-hotel that was mistaken for my cache. Maybe we could get a "NO POISON" skull-and-crossbones with a universal NO through it. That should be fun to explain. Then again, ANY skull and crossbones (even with a NO through it) would probably be trouble. icon_rolleyes.gif

Glad to see you finally have come into the fold of ammo can users ClayJar... icon_biggrin.gif

I think youll see that it will work out GREAT for you...

And see.. it really didnt cost you much more than those clay jars that let everything get all wet inside...

Good Work..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

Glad to see you finally have come into the fold of ammo can users ClayJar... icon_biggrin.gif

I think youll see that it will work out GREAT for you...

And see.. it really didnt cost you much more than those clay jars that let everything get all wet inside...

Good Work..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

Stick your phone number on the outside of the cache, too, so the bomb squad can call you if they have any questions.

Seriously.

That's what the bomb squad told me, when they picked up my cache. It'll make them feel a lot better.

'''I wonder what Latitude or Longitude I've got to?' (Alice had no idea what Latitude was, or Longitude either, but thought they were nice grand words to say.)'' -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland