Signature Items

perseid88

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Signature Items are the crown jewels of geocaching.

Agreed. I collect Sig items and therefore trade them out of caches whenever I find one I don't have. This cache is one I designed just for that purpose and it has been working very well. I always leave my sig card and one of those little coins that you get from Dairy Queen, you can trade them in for an ice cream cone. I thought this was fitting because I own a DQ. I think that's the whole point behind sig items, for the most part people create them with their own background and personality in mind and that is what makes them so special and fun to collect. By the way, I also like to trade sig items via snail mail with anyone who is interested. Contact me if you would like my card for your collection and a free ice cream cone to boot!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Scoobie

A day without sunshine is like.....NIGHT!

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Signature Items are the crown jewels of geocaching.

Absolutely. One of the coolest things about traveling is finding cachers sig items every now and then. I show them to the local cachers at our meetings. One of my favorite found sig items is the geoferret pin that Brokenwing and T-Storm left on a visit to GA. I ran out to several caches I had not done before just so I could get their signature pin.

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors

Definitely take the sig items. Brian is right, the log is proof of a visit.

My personal favorite is a cache-critter by Bladecarver. A little ceramic animal, glazed and fired, and put inside a nifty burlap (or some similar material) sack. Bladecarver specifically says to take it and name it in the logs he posts. icon_cool.gif We've got a growing collection of sig items on our mantel.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Well, since my signature item has pretty much become a useable toy and is expected to be played with (Joefrog's Famous Marshmallow Guns), it'd look really goofy on a mantel, etc.

I only have one signature item, and it's a coin of some sort -- custom made, similar to the Mout10bike coins I so wish I could find one of! It's for the "Lone Ducks," and I got it a few weeks ago. Signature items are hard to come by around here.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I have a concept for my new sig item.

I have a custom Geocoin. I want each of these first 50 coins to go a specific state (as the number of the individual state entrance into the union). I then want that coin to try to visit every cache in that state. I am writing some php code right now that will allow finders to log them on my site and track where they are at, etc.

--------------------------------------------------

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

We always get a kick out of seeing the cards, stamps, and other sig items of cachers we know. "Aaaah...<soandso> has been here!"

What drives me nuts is when a cacher attaches their signature item to someone else's TB. There's someone in my neck of the woods that does that, and to me that's like claiming ownership of that item. The first time I saw this particular person's wooden nickel on a TB, I assumed the TB belonged to that cacher.

Would it be wrong of me to then remove the offending item? I know the standard answer would be to ask the TB owner, but then, the offender didn't ask the owner if it was OK to have someone else's name put on their TB in the first place.

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

Well, since my signature item has pretty much become a useable toy and is expected to be played with (Joefrog's Famous Marshmallow Guns), it'd look really goofy on a mantel, etc.

Heck, I can't wait for one of those cool guns to show up in a cache. I'm heading to Home Depot tommorrow.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by hermione:

What drives me nuts is when a cacher attaches their signature item to someone else's TB. There's someone in my neck of the woods that does that, and to me that's like claiming ownership of that item. The first time I saw this particular person's wooden nickel on a TB, I assumed the TB belonged to that cacher.

Would it be wrong of me to then remove the offending item? I know the standard answer would be to ask the TB owner, but then, the offender didn't ask the owner if it was OK to have someone else's name put on their TB in the first place.

The way I see it the bug owner didn't ask for the added baggage. And may even not want added items that make the bug harder to fit into a cache. So the way I see it anything that isn't original bug is fair game. Sticking your label on a bug is almost like spraying graffiti on it. So in my opinion it's not cool to tag bugs like marked territory.

Am I wrong?

Jr Viper Team

I just came up with a sig. iteam, I make fishing lures as a hobby and will put them in caches [no hooks on them] but i can change them from year to year, geo picnics or tb. as needed so they will be different as needed,I just have to make a small tag to tell people what they have, any comments anyone

have vista will travel, I always know were I am because I have my vista :)icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:

Heck, I can't wait for one of those cool guns to show up in a cache. I'm heading to Home Depot tommorrow.

Just like I did for another northern cacher, I'd be glad to customize the instruction sheet I use for you!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Vacman:

I have a custom http://www.vacsew.com/cache. I want each of these first 50 coins to go a specific state (as the number of the individual state entrance into the union). I then want that coin to try to visit every cache in that state. I am writing some php code right now that will allow finders to log them on my site and track where they are at, etc.

Wow, those are beautiful! I'd love to get ahold of one!

Joel (joefrog)

quote:

I have a custom http://www.vacsew.com/cache. I want each of these first 50 coins to go a specific state (as the number of the individual state entrance into the union). I then want that coin to try to visit every cache in that state. I am writing some php code right now that will allow finders to log them on my site and track where they are at, etc.

Ya, I've seen pictures of Vacman's geocoins before (green with envy). I keep hoping that they make their way out to Monterey,CA and drop them in a cache out here.

Sig items are OK I guess, but they're kind of a grey area for me... I'm not sure if I should trash them out, or leave them there even though the growing stack of sig cards and sig items is taking up space in the cache, and really isn't useful or worth anything...

I do however LOVE the idea of leaving CITO items (like the ones Rubeeslpr leaves!)

Basically film containers that have a kitchen sized trash bag in them.

Speaking of film containers, go out and get some!! Most any photo processing joint will be more than happy to give you a ton! I got 30 from a place not 2 blocks from my house. icon_biggrin.gif

--Tree

(o< -!!

//  Never laugh at live

V_/_  penguins.

I have been placing signature items for about 18 months now and I feel that they are not a trade item. They can be taken by anyone that would like to have it, and I do not place it in exchange for another item. I trade if the need arises and also leave a signature item.

Normally I do not trade items anymore and I just place a signature item in the cache along with my log entry.

icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:

quote:

Ya, I've seen pictures of Vacman's geocoins before (green with envy). I keep hoping that they make their way out to Monterey,CA and drop them in a cache out here.

Tell you what - I'll send one your way - TB style.... icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by perseid88:

What is the proper protocol for signature items left in a cache? Are they meant to stay in the cache as proof of participation? Or are they meant to be traded and taken to another cache?

I think sig items are getting kinda stale. How many caches do I have to visit to see the same [insert sig item name here]'s? Most people seem to take people's sig items anyway, so what's the point? If I left a sig item there I'd want to leave it as a sign that I have been there and visited the cache, not so some bozo can trade it. But then again, maybe that's what some people want. My 2c.

What we like to do for our item is pick up a rock near the area, paint/decorate it and turn it into a cache creature. It is fun because it allows us to hang out in the area, take in the surroundings. We've had a great time so far. Our first one has become our avatar. We would love it if people traded for them. If there is a theme we also leave an appropriate item as well.

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

quote:
Originally posted by opie744:

That is a good travel, was it a tracking type? Is that how you found out where it was?

it's 5 o'clock somewhere!!

No real way to track it except for the cool cacher that picked it up in PA later emailed me to tell me he placed it while on vacation in the bahamas. I now watch that cache to see if someone picks it up.