what next I have the bug

How this: I read about geocachng in my local paper on May (28th, 29th), 2003. I found my 1st cache without a gps the next day. Bought my GPS the following day. Found my 100th cache less that 2 months later, went through 2 GPSr's, organized a cache event, hidden 17 caches, lost 12 pounds, had one of the best summers of my life, saw some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, put God know how many miles on my car and now I'm buying a Yellow Jeep. Just do it already. You could have found your 1st cache in the time it took you to read these posts.

Where are you from?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

You won't regret the investment in a GPSr. You don't need a fancy one either.

I read a news paper article about Geocaching. Coincidently, I heard about Geocaching on NPR a week later. I borrowed my father in law's GPRr the day after and he, his wife, my two kids and I went out and found our first cache within an hour.

Life hasn't been the same since! Bought my own GPSr a month later because I was using the other one more that it's owner.

Great is the matter of birth and death.

Life slips quickly by.

Time waits for no on.

Wake up! Wake up!

Don't waste a moment.

"Now may every living thing, young or old, weak or strong, living near or far, known or unknown, living or departed or yet unborn, may every living thing know happiness!"

Go for it! You can't lose. One of the things I like most, and never thought of, is that we have hiked in many, many, many local wildlife refuges and preserves that I never new existed nor would have visited before starting this. Most caches cannot be found without a good GPS.

Want a recommendation -- Garmin Etrex Legend. Small, durable, easy to use, and accurate. They ARE waterproof! I have an underwater cache and one day took the GPS into the water with me -- holding it above the surface while I swam, but it did get wet (salt water nevertheless). I rinsed it off with fresh water, dried it, and it is doing fine two months later. It has been dropped, stepped on, etc. (you can see that I am very careful with my equipment), and still works like when it was brand new. Definately pay the extra few bucks for the Legend vs. the Venture, to get the nice base map and ability do download from your computer. Do hunt and buy on the net -- you will save big bucks.

I really love my Garmin eTrex Vista. Retails for about $320, but I got mine from Amazon for under $250.

Amazon offeres free shipping and also has this offer if you act fast:

Special Offer: This product qualifies! Buy $250 or more of electronics offered by Amazon.com and get a promotional certificate for $50 off your next Amazon.com purchase. Here's how (restrictions apply). Offer ends October 19, 2003.

mystats.php?userid=btouch&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=ffff66&fgcol=009900

quote:
I think I would like to do the "HUNT".

Twice Retired -- I'd suggest you look in the location forum, post a city and see if you can meet up with some folks at a coffeshop, pub or park.

You'll be able to spot 'em. icon_cool.gif

As for purchase, if you have other hobbies, many can benefit from a GPS.

Golf, ( where is that ball anyway)

Fishing, ( I'm where the 'good hole' is co-ordinated, now where are the fish )

Hunting, ( Hey Joe, would you pack out my kill it is at xxx yyyyy )

Re-Enacting, ( oh, no .. I am standing where the first birrage will hit )

Photography, ( the gps says just take a couple steps back .... )

Shopping, ( where did we leave the car )

Theme Parks, ( where did we leave the car )

Airport, ( where did we leave the car )

You can even use a gps with your lawn mower to cut patterns in the grass.

Have fun.