Ever got a co-worker or a customer into Geocaching???

GOT GPS?

After showing my gps and explaining how it worked and talking about geocaching one of my co-workers borrowed is neighbors gps. He studied it and stashed a few objects in an atv trail for is buddies to find near is home.He liked it.I then told him to try geocaching and try to find a real geocache.I brought him out with me one weekend and found 2.A few days after he was hooked and whent out by himself and found other caches.

Since I was pretty obsessed with the sport for awhile, I was always checking local caches from work. My coworkers, seeing my lack of productivity became interested. 2 of them have now picked up the sport and have become as un-productive as I. -C

quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey:

I Stock shelves for hungry humans, and one day I was talking to a customer about home networking and routers, I then told him about geocaching. He brought out a few friends to try geocaching, and he is going to get a GPS.

Anybody have any experiences like this.

http://members.aol.com/geoffr524/5_Rubik.gif

A friend from Utah came back to California for a funeral. He was down for a week so I took a day off work and we went geocaching. We went after a 4.5 and HE found it. We found 3 more that day and I just got news that he found his first Utah cache yesterday.

He's a goner.

george

My wife sucked in one of her co-workers and her husband. Took them on a hunt, but they haven't logged their find yet.

Big irony (for those that don't know my first name) he's one of the few other males named "Kelly" I've met - and he's as much of a gadget-geek as I am.

The best part is that when he was borrowing my etrex for the hunt. For the last 300 feet, he was actually running toward the cache icon_biggrin.gif I think he's hooked.

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

My wife sucked in one of her co-workers and her husband. Took them on a hunt, but they haven't logged their find yet.

Big irony (for those that don't know my first name) he's one of the few other males named "Kelly" I've met - and he's as much of a gadget-geek as I am.

The best part is that when he was borrowing my etrex for the hunt. For the last 300 feet, he was actually running toward the cache icon_biggrin.gif I think he's hooked.

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

I invited some friends at work to go hunt a cache hidden only about 1.5 blocks from the office and we had about 5 of us go (the first time) and the guy that was the most critical of the game turned out to be the one finding the cache. The next day he bought a GPS and took his nephews geocaching. Another person in that group won a $100 gift certificate and she bought a GPS with it. The three of us from that original group, have been out a couple more times together. And since our names all begin with "J", hence the J-Team. icon_biggrin.gif

I have a regular email list (including some key clients and co-workers) that I notify each time I plan to go out at lunchtime during the work week. Its always great fun to take a bit longer lunch and hunt caches. I think we'll be able to talk the boss into going next time. Just looking for a good weather day to ensure that we all have a good time.

I invited some friends at work to go hunt a cache hidden only about 1.5 blocks from the office and we had about 5 of us go (the first time) and the guy that was the most critical of the game turned out to be the one finding the cache. The next day he bought a GPS and took his nephews geocaching. Another person in that group won a $100 gift certificate and she bought a GPS with it. The three of us from that original group, have been out a couple more times together. And since our names all begin with "J", hence the J-Team. icon_biggrin.gif

I have a regular email list (including some key clients and co-workers) that I notify each time I plan to go out at lunchtime during the work week. Its always great fun to take a bit longer lunch and hunt caches. I think we'll be able to talk the boss into going next time. Just looking for a good weather day to ensure that we all have a good time.

In October, two of my clients (owners of a quilting shop) asked what the "doo-dad" on my dash was...

When I explained, and told them what I do with my GPS, one of the clients said that she thought that it would make a great Christmas present for her husband and brother.

Her brother lives in Tennessee (I think) and she bought him a Magellan 315. She says that he's been geocaching, but I wouldn't know who he is (any takers?).

She waited until her husband had seen the brother's Christmas present (which she wrapped with an explanation of Geocaching that I'd given her) to tell him that he was getting the same thing for Christmas. He got to pick out his own, a Map III+. As far as I know, he hasn't been out Geocaching yet, but there kids are jonsing to go.

Of course, this thread doesn't enter into how many "friends" (past or present!) who've we've involved in Geocaching. Take the number of friends who I have alienated talking about the sport and divide by three...

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

geobutton1.gif

I was standing next to my first find and I phoned my buddy servman. He was at a wedding and couldn't hear very well. He thought I said DEER CATCHING so he was a bit confused.

I took him out on a couple and when I upgraded my GPS I sold him my old one. Now he is as obsessed as I am.

I just went out with my Brother-in-law this weekend and he had a great time. I'm sure as soon as he can buy a GPS, he will go out Geocaching too!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_600.jpg

We got a few started... EliJoMikMiNi--or at least Eli and occasionally Mik. I work with Eli and told her about Geocaching. I let her borrow my GPS to try out our Hometown Family Picnic Cache. She got there but wasn't willing to put her hand in a tree to find the cache and she gave up (it wasn't hidden there anyway.) Then she took the GPS farther north to Cache-Potato's Mothman cache and after finding that she's been completely hooked. She had the GPS as much as me for a little while there until she got a chance to get her own. Now she's more addicted than I am.

I also got my brother and his family hooked (along with my parents to a lesser extent) last July when I visited them in Wisconsin. The Geozingers have been having fun with some of those great Wisconsin area caches. I can't wait to get them over here searching the hills for some West Virginia caches!

I got xCacher hooked. We've been buds for about 10 years or so and we used to work at the same company. This past February (Gee - that's only been a month!) I helped him hide his first cache right outside his home. It's one of the tougher ones in the area, and has sparked some mild controversy. icon_smile.gif He then bought an eMap and started finding them. He's almost caught up to me now. He's a lot closer to the bulk of them than I am. He gets 2 or 3 during his lunch break! I'm lucky to get out thataways to find two or three in a weekend! I think I'm still just barely ahead of him, but who's counting, right? I AM! icon_smile.gif

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I got xCacher hooked. We've been buds for about 10 years or so and we used to work at the same company. This past February (Gee - that's only been a month!) I helped him hide his first cache right outside his home. It's one of the tougher ones in the area, and has sparked some mild controversy. icon_smile.gif He then bought an eMap and started finding them. He's almost caught up to me now. He's a lot closer to the bulk of them than I am. He gets 2 or 3 during his lunch break! I'm lucky to get out thataways to find two or three in a weekend! I think I'm still just barely ahead of him, but who's counting, right? I AM! icon_smile.gif

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

A co-worker, PewterZ, got me into geocaching.

We introduced an orienteering group, but they've yet to log any caches to our knowledge.

He's introduced his family (younger brother and father).

I've introduced it to my family (wife, father, mother, older brother, younger brother, little sister, and a friend).

They're all part of the pseudo Team Draegon:

Pewterz and Draegon

LilBro (Pewterz brother)

MrsDraegon and Midnite (wife and friend)

RangerRick (Draegon's pop)

the others haven't picked names is all, but they travel with us at times. icon_cool.gif

Draegon

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

"To win without risk, is to suceed without glory"

A co-worker, PewterZ, got me into geocaching.

We introduced an orienteering group, but they've yet to log any caches to our knowledge.

He's introduced his family (younger brother and father).

I've introduced it to my family (wife, father, mother, older brother, younger brother, little sister, and a friend).

They're all part of the pseudo Team Draegon:

Pewterz and Draegon

LilBro (Pewterz brother)

MrsDraegon and Midnite (wife and friend)

RangerRick (Draegon's pop)

the others haven't picked names is all, but they travel with us at times. icon_cool.gif

Draegon

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

"To win without risk, is to suceed without glory"

I'm currently working at a hunting, camping, fishing retailer and I can't even remember the number of times I've told people about the sport and given out the web addresses. I work in the hiking/camping department so it's a pretty good guess that any one coming in hikes and enjoys nature. From there it's pretty easy. Also have two of my managers interested, both have checked out the site and one should be heading out either this week or the next.

One of my coworkers got her husband an eTrex Legend for Christmas, and I asked her if he Geocached. No, he is a surveyor, but he might be interested.... In his first month, he found 32 caches.... He's hooked! We did an interview with the local paper this weekend, and took the outdoor writer caching on a fairly difficult hunt, and the response was very positive. Maybe we will have more local interest after the article is in the Friday edition.

JoeyBob

Hey Markwell, my husband's name is Kelly also, but he only rarely caches with me. He's only interested if I can find one with a good historical interest. The best thing about his name is that if someone calls for Ms. Kelly soandso, we know it's a telemarketer right away.

I got my co-workier interested back in September, now we hunt together all the time.A client of mine now does it about 3 times a month. Among the 3 of us, I think we have gotten at least 4 other people started also. A client called me at work the other day and put me on the phone with her co-worker to explain caching to him, that was a fun call!

Does a former coworker count? I used to work with King Pellinore. We continued to hang out long after I left my last place of employment. I took him along on a cache that I knew he would enjoy and he was hooked. Now he has more finds and hides than me!

When I first heard about Geocaching, I used the computers at work to check out GPS units and caches in the area. One of the pharmacists I was working with asked me what I was looking at, and needless to say he got real interested (didn't take him long to figure out what he wanted to do with the Best Buy gift certificate he'd just gotten for Christmas. icon_smile.gif) Soon after that, we had half the pharmacy ready to go venturing into the woods. I think the feverish pitch of the idea died down after I went back to school, but everyone still asks me about it when I go back during breaks.

When I first heard about Geocaching, I used the computers at work to check out GPS units and caches in the area. One of the pharmacists I was working with asked me what I was looking at, and needless to say he got real interested (didn't take him long to figure out what he wanted to do with the Best Buy gift certificate he'd just gotten for Christmas. icon_smile.gif) Soon after that, we had half the pharmacy ready to go venturing into the woods. I think the feverish pitch of the idea died down after I went back to school, but everyone still asks me about it when I go back during breaks.

I mentioned Geocaching to a co-worker last week and showed him the site.

Since then it has been an endless string of questions. icon_smile.gif

Today when I saw him at work he was complaining that they didn't have the GPS unit he was looking for at some stores this weekend. He almost dropped a bunch of money on a Garmin GPS V just for the instant gratification factor.

He has already printed out some caches in his area and mentioned it to his kids.

Reeling him in... icon_wink.gif

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

I mentioned Geocaching to a co-worker last week and showed him the site.

Since then it has been an endless string of questions. icon_smile.gif

Today when I saw him at work he was complaining that they didn't have the GPS unit he was looking for at some stores this weekend. He almost dropped a bunch of money on a Garmin GPS V just for the instant gratification factor.

He has already printed out some caches in his area and mentioned it to his kids.

Reeling him in... icon_wink.gif

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

I got into Geocaching by searching the Internet for GPS Tracking Devices for vehicles. Now as I interview potential vendors, they are surprised by my knowledge of GPSR's and their functions. I have told several of them about the Geocaching site and a few have handheld GPSR's. They are always intrigued and interested.

I was also involved in a TV spot last year for a local Atlanta station with erik88l-r. The cameraman that was shooting the story has become an avid Geocacher, Sushi of the fisherKings.

3512_200.jpg

AYUP...

I work with marine related businesses, I originally got my GPS so I'd always have MY own unit on any boats I may have been on. The discussions on the docks are a bit more spirited than even in here. A few boaties have taken to using a handheld as a back up. That's where I come in. I tell their wives about all the fun that can be had with a GPS. Even the old-timers that swore that they would never abondon LORAN are coming around. My best coup was telling an old salt to try out his new handheld in the woods. He walks out in the woods alot now, and turned his kids and gradkids onto Caching.

I'm making tags at work to drop off caching this summer... Productivity is a little slow recently.