gps firmware

Firmware updates of any kind bios/gps are expensive to re write and test. Typically only only done to fix a found problem that cound outweigh these costs. They should be accompanied by a test file that tells you what was fixed or added. Read this then decide if you need to do it.Firmware updates can often fix one thing and break another.

01001011-01111001-01101100-01100101

Kyley@rocketmail.com

Maybe to reduce the testing cost, Garmin has released the latest updates to the eTrex Legend and Vista as beta versions first. Let the users do the job of finding all the errors, then let the programmers just fix the problems.

For the Legend, that's now ended in a "final" version, while the Vista's latest version is still in beta-state.

I've now had my Vista for one year. It was 2.18 when I bought it. Latest beta release is 2.29, although not all versions, from a numerical point of view, have been issued to the public.

Anders

...I was told that they will provide ver.xx upgrades at no charge. However, they will be charging for VER.) upgrades and their next release of both MapSend AND their firmware will be a full version release (due out 1st quarter of 2003). The gentleman I spoke to reported that their engineers were not prepared for the popularity of games such as geocaching and they were addressing issues that have come up. When I asked about Beta testing, he said they would not be releasing any beta code. I suggested that they look at Garmin, as they are not charging for upgrades AND are now offering beta. He said he would take that up the line.

All in all, they seem to be responding, but also seem a little behind the game.

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Maybe to reduce the testing cost, Garmin has released the latest updates to the eTrex Legend and Vista as beta versions first. Let the users do the job of finding all the errors, then let the programmers just fix the problems.

For the Legend, that's now ended in a "final" version, while the Vista's latest version is still in beta-state.

I found it interesting that after loading version 2.29b (the current beta-state version for the Vista), all the "known" locations I had saved as "favorites" (home, daughter's school, the bus stop, etc.) now indicate 10 yards off. I re-checked over a period of stays, with the same results. I presume the software has been tweaked to be more accurate ...

quote:

I haven't noticed anything like that, but according to my experience, all stored postions do rant around a little on their own all the time, due to measurement inaccuracies.

Yes, I have watched the coordinates from my "favorites" vary anywhere from 0 - 30 feet during the ten months since I purchased the Vista. Perhaps it is coincidental, but with the new 2.29b software, I'm noticing those distances now vary from 20 - 85 feet ... and instead of the "accuracy" indicating the 18 - 24 feet I've usually noticed, it now indicates 8 - 10 feet.

That's why I think it's a software issue, and I hope it's an issue of increased accuracy.

Time, and the next revision to the software, will tell. icon_wink.gif

quote:

I haven't noticed anything like that, but according to my experience, all stored postions do rant around a little on their own all the time, due to measurement inaccuracies.

Yes, I have watched the coordinates from my "favorites" vary anywhere from 0 - 30 feet during the ten months since I purchased the Vista. Perhaps it is coincidental, but with the new 2.29b software, I'm noticing those distances now vary from 20 - 85 feet ... and instead of the "accuracy" indicating the 18 - 24 feet I've usually noticed, it now indicates 8 - 10 feet.

That's why I think it's a software issue, and I hope it's an issue of increased accuracy.

Time, and the next revision to the software, will tell. icon_wink.gif