What do you like best about geocaching?

Kanto

I voted "Finding the cache" but if there were a "All of the above" I would have picked that instead. Oh, and you also forgot your favorite thing about caching: "Posting on the forums" icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I also would say "All of the above" but since it's not listed I went with "Enjoying the Location" mainly because Geocaching has taken me to places I normally wouldn't have gone. It's fun to be guided by local people in unfamiliar places.

"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

I voted Enjoying the Location. This is why I don't go night or winter caching, and will shy away from really difficult caches (meaning difficult to locate, not the terrain). I'm in it for the hike, not the hunt. I love being outdoors in the summer.

I have to say that I enjoy placing the caches as well, and reading people's logs when they find them. Of course placing/maintaining my caches really cuts into my geocaching time.

Ok, ok.... I'm addicted to it all.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

While the first four options are all reasons why I like Geocaching, and are the main reasons I have been involved, the last reason has become more important over time. Here in Southeast Texas we have developed quite a group of cachers that also likes to get together regularly and socialize (and geocache, of course). Our gatherings are something I look forward to like a great 5/5 that I just happen to have the training and equipment for!! LOL.

As for posting in the forums being a "favorite", I think it is more a time filler till we can get back out to do something to do with actual caching. Unfortunately, we can't cache all the time...sigh (at least not till I retire, that is).

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Tikiroy:

I also would say "All of the above" but since it's not listed I went with "Enjoying the Location" mainly because Geocaching has taken me to places I normally wouldn't have gone. It's fun to be guided by local people in unfamiliar places.

In the long run, this is probably what keeps Joani and I going, so maybe I answered wrong. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I would say "being with my family" away from the daily distractions of TV, video games etc. Not that these are bad, but as my kids get older, hanging with mom and dad is not always on their agenda.

I also would say the geocaching has showed me new parks and places of seclusion I never knew existed. Sometimes these places are a mile from my house.

Also I do not like to exercise. Walking in a circle on a track, or in my neighborhood where a dog might get me is no fun. I like walking for a purpose...to get to the cache. This is a new form of getting my butt up and moving.

I am not much into socializing. I am kind of boring and would not go to events...unless there is some geo-booty (coins, travel bugs etc) being given away!

Our answer would definitely be enjoying the challenge. We're still fairly new to the game, so each find is a real thrill.

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I'd say all of the above, but since that isn't an option, I chose "hiding the cache". I guess I'm in the minority. I enjoy finding new and interesting places to put a cache (that is a real challenge in this area, because we're already pretty saturated with caches) and I look forward to reading about the adventures the people who look for my caches.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

The thrill of the hunt. The challenge of the hunt. Night caching, day caching, easy rural caches, 5 star mental urban micros. We love them all unless they are in areas where a seedy crowd hangs out. I'm tired of finding things that are considered biohazardous.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Ditto, on All of the above. I enjoy the time spent with my wife doing a sport that we both enjoy. The only thing that could be better is if there were no TICKS or MOSQUITOS! icon_wink.gif But that is what winter caching is for.

"Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and angels know of us" - Thomas Paine

compass.gif