How difficult should it be?

v_morph

I live in a remote and mountainous are in Northern Mexico. There are some beautiful places near my home which I sometimes visit just for the hike and the view. I guess my questions regarding creating new caches are:

1. How difficult should it be for the average person?

2. Should we be concerned about safety?

3. What if the probability of getting lost is high? (even with a GPS--remember, mountainous terrain is seldom navigated in a straight line)

4. What if the terrain is so rugged you need special care in preparing for the hunt? (ie. trekking poles, camping gear, topo, first aid kit....etc)

5. As an extreme question to get my point accross, would you ever place a cache on Mt. Everest? (do not consider exess traffic of cachers in this question please) Would it be irresponsible because of the exposure to risky conditions you may be encouraging some hard-core cacher to place himself? icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by v_morph:

5. As an extreme question to get my point accross, would you ever place a cache on Mt. Everest?

Yes, If you place it, they will come.

quote:

you may be encouraging some hard-core cacher to expose himself? icon_confused.gif

Let's hope not.

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

I'll echo the above statements. As long as people know what they're getting themselves in for (appropriate ratings, warnings, etc.), I don't see any problem with very difficult caches.

I know that if I see one rated 4½ terrain, unless it's something like canoeing down a river to get there, I'm probably not up for the challenge.

That's why the expanded cache search engine that Jeremy and Elias have been touting sounds so cool. You'd be able to limit your searches to the difficulty/terrain level of your choice.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

One great thing I like about geocaching is the wide range of mental and physical challenge. I suggest that you place caches that will challenge people the way you would like to be challenged.

If you make one with a difficulty level such that one will need to have served in the US Army Rangers for 6 years, you will be giving that group of people a fun day or two which is the point.

However, if you want to build enthusiasm in your city, you might want to appeal to the masses first, then cater to the Seals.