Found in cache

Guest Craig

Guest Cache-potato

It's a biochip. I suppose it didn't come with instructions? Well, this is how it is installed.

1-gather necessary instruments

a-razor

b-small tack hammer

c-copious ammonts of favorite hard liquor

2-swig liquor

3-shave small patch just over left ear

4-swig liquor

5-with right hand postion chip over left ear

6-with left hand swig liquor

7-put the whiskey down! this takes precision

8-with left hand grasp tack hammer firmly

9-smack chip being careful not to miss

10-you now have a direct link from gpsr to brain. no more falling over logs while looking at display.

Aint technology wonderful??!!

Guest Cucumber Jones

errrr... you might want to be more clear that this is not something you should do. We don't know how old craig is, and it's irresponsible to make a post like this.

Craig, razors are dangerous. Steal your sister's Nair for step 3.

Good luck with the installation!

-Cuke

Well after step 2...Wife found me with her Nair. Man was she mad.. So I had to skip to step 3...he he he..After step 9 I had to go to E.R... And I still don't know what the chip is...:-(

A NAND gate is a logic chip. It consists of four two input logical AND gates, each can be used independentaly. The 'N' in front of AND indicates that there is an inverter on the output of each gate.

So, if input 1 AND input 2 of one of the gates are both ON, then the output of that gate is OFF. But if either of the inputs, or both, are OFF, then the output is ON.

See? Both inputs have to be ON to turn on the gate, and since the output is inverted, when the gate is ON, the output is OFF.

The 74xx series of chips were very early (mid 1970s) Transistor Transistor Logic (TTL) that ran on a single 5 volts. Pin 14 is +5, 7 is ground.

In my teens, I used hundreds of these chips. Boy, talk about old memories!

Guest DaktariEd

WOW! Am I feeling old!

In MY teens, I was using tons of resistors, diodes, and a few capacitors. That NAND gate was a "new fangled" gadget sometime later.

Man....time flies when you're getting old!

Ed icon_smile.gif

Guest DaktariEd

WOW! Am I feeling old!

In MY teens, I was using tons of resistors, diodes, and a few capacitors. That NAND gate was a "new fangled" gadget sometime later.

Man....time flies when you're getting old!

Ed icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BigFig:

It's a 7400 series TTL SSI chip. Not sure what the HC series is. I sure did not remember it was a NAND gate. Guess there are bigger geeks than I icon_smile.gif

The H signifies that it is the high speed version of the gate, the C indicates that it is a CMOS gate, as opposed to the original standard transistor version, therefore requiring less current, but requiring unused inputs to be tied to ground, and the T I'm not sure about.

Here is the pin-out:

icon_wink.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by BigFig:

It's a 7400 series TTL SSI chip. Not sure what the HC series is. I sure did not remember it was a NAND gate. Guess there are bigger geeks than I icon_smile.gif

The H signifies that it is the high speed version of the gate, the C indicates that it is a CMOS gate, as opposed to the original standard transistor version, therefore requiring less current, but requiring unused inputs to be tied to ground, and the T I'm not sure about.

Here is the pin-out:

icon_wink.gif]

Guest Nemesis

As you can see by it?s distinctive markings this little black caterpillar is one of the 7400 series (this series has been around for ages) and it belongs to the HCT (TTL compatible High Speed CMOS logic) family. These markings (the ?00?) also indicate that it enjoys operating as four 2-input NAND gates and the N shows that it is made of plastic (i.e., a 14-pin plastic dual?in?line package). The meaning of C3429PS escapes me, but it is probably a lot tracking number. ?H? tells us where it was born and ?nn? is the number of litters? (wafers) born so far that week. It was born on the 14th (?14?) working week of 1999 (?99?). ?G? Is an internal batch tracking code. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

As you can see by it?s distinctive markings this little black caterpillar is one of the 7400 series (this series has been around for ages) and it belongs to the HCT (TTL compatible High Speed CMOS logic) family. These markings (the ?00?) also indicate that it enjoys operating as four 2-input NAND gates and the N shows that it is made of plastic (i.e., a 14-pin plastic dual?in?line package). The meaning of C3429PS escapes me, but it is probably a lot tracking number. ?H? tells us where it was born and ?nn? is the number of litters? (wafers) born so far that week. It was born on the 14th (?14?) working week of 1999 (?99?). ?G? Is an internal batch tracking code. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.