Quick Virtual Cache Poll

Team Rex

Either, they can both be good. I like fixed spots that are interesting, most likely that is the type I will do for my first V cache. There are some really great ones out there though, that require the finder to take a picture of certain items that may be found in many places, like the "Hometown" cache and the "USGS Recovery" cache. Those are good examples of how to do the "multi-spot" V cache.

It's up to you, if you make a quality cache, it wont matter which you choose.

...although I've done and enjoyed both types. I prefer virtual caches where the coords are given, but it doesn't matter who is first, or how many people visit. That said, I also do enjoy a wide range of caches types, virtual or not, "locationless" or not.

Variety is the spice of life.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I voted take the photo, even though I dont' have the means to do it. It is at least a challenge, though it's normally not repeatable. For example "Find a railroad depot, you can only one once" So our local railroad depot has already been claimed and that's that for all the local cachers.

The virtual caches I have done, took me somewhere I haven't been just like a regular cache, instead of finding a cache, I find a piece of knowledge that can only be found at the site.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

To me a virtual cache is some interesting place where you have to e-mail the cache "owner" with proof that you were there.

Why the proof? Do you really care or feel threatened if some shallow cheat posts a find or two when he never actually visited the site? How many people actually do that and how many false finds can they post before everyone knows there full of it. And there aren't enough virtuals to catch the "floop" anyway! icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

To me a virtual cache is some interesting place where you have to e-mail the cache "owner" with proof that you were there.

Why the proof? Do you really care or feel threatened if some shallow cheat posts a find or two when he never actually visited the site? How many people actually do that and how many false finds can they post before everyone knows there full of it. And there aren't enough virtuals to catch the "floop" anyway! icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alen2:

Why the proof? Do you really care or feel threatened if some shallow cheat posts a find or two when he never actually visited the site? How many people actually do that and how many false finds can they post before everyone knows there full of it.

The reason why you provide a question so you can get an answer to provide proof of your visit is stated clearly on the Geocaching FAQ Page. I wish people would read this before placing caches:

quote:
Virtual caches - A cache is actually an existing landmark, such as a tombstone or statue. You have to answer a question from the landmark and let the "cache" owner know as proof that you were there.

Some of these do anywhere caches are going so far away from Geocaching that it is getting to be a little too much. I have logged a few, but do not log the ones that do not require you to go find something with GPS coordinates. Just finding something and then taking the coordinates seems unverifiable unless the person who created the cache is going to fly around the country and go to each location to verify that the coordinates are correct. The Benchmark Cache at least has posted coordinates on the web that you have to go to and find the 3" metal disk which may or may not be there. You have to go look until you find one and then photograph it to prove you found it with your GPS coordinates. That to me sounds like Geocaching. The Covered Bridge Cache is the farthest I have stretched the virtual cache for a find, but you can plug my coordinates into TopoZone and you will see that the red cross mark is on the Covered Bridge I visited (and the cache creator can verify that I went to the location without flying there and checking it themselves).

3512_200.jpg

I guess your right mountainman. It just seems though too complicated for me. I mean who really knows for that matter if someone actually found a standard cache. I cannot imagine checking my cache's log books against the web page to see if anyone cheated. I have better things to do. Anyway of the six I placed, two have already been plundered including loss of the log books.

Funny you should mention covered bridges. I've just mapped out a tour of 5 of them here in NYS. One also turns out to be a virtual cache location. Part of my tour is to also hit three other virtuals alojng the route. Waypoints and route are loaded in my GPS ready to go. (I've decided to not bushwhack for awhile out of my abiding respect for ticks). Hope to do it in a couple of weekends from now.

(Should I make any of the bridges new virtual caches? I can peg the coordinates as I hit the bridges. And what would you suggest for proof? Any ideas on how I could make the whole route a multi-cache?)

Alan

I agree a virtual cache should have coordinates to find then go find them. I don't care about making it a race to be first.

I have found the Palindrone cache, and am slowly working on the Benchmark. Although these have many possible locations, you must decide on finding one and then looking for it, using your GPS.

I am not wild about the ones that have you go somewhere take a picture of where your at. I know where the Reno Arch is and can get there without a GPS. (although it would be an easy find.)

Doodad

Been there, Logged that, Got the T-shirt

I have done a few virtuals in which i tell the seeker not where the cache is but give them a picture to go and find. I posted the picture on the site and told them to find the location and email me the coords.

Where's the Beef???

I have done 4 others like this. I am not a big fan of teh virtual caches but this idea seemed a break from the ordinary, a reverse engineered virtual... i tell you what is there you tell where it is.

Now where did I set my GPS??? planetrobert.net