Cache Plundering

Had one plundered probably by kids. It was a kids' cache which was happened upon accidentally by a family. One kid told 2 friends, who told 2 friends... and within a week another local cacher found the contents scattered around a 60 foot radius and the empty ammo can cache container lying there with the lid ripped off. It was replaced in a different part of the same park.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

I had the second and final cache of a two cache multi-cache stolen a few days after I posted that I put some expensive items that I brought back from Bermuda in it. It was at that time that I decided to do something about it. I started a page dedicated to tracking Stolen and Plundered Caches in Utah. It was suprising to see the amount of caches that were being affected. I stopped keeping track after another of my caches was stolen/removed. I pretty much expected that one to get taken. I stopped keeping track after that.

While I hate my caches to be stolen or plundered, I'm not sure what we can do about it. We now have "mocaches" (which, by the way, is not a good nickname for them in my opinion. *explanation at bottom of page) which are supposed to be a deterrent, but I don't think it's going to work as planned. Who won't be willing to pay $3 to get all of the coords for the Members Only Caches who has a grudge against the new system, just so they can go and remove the cache? Or some might even pay the money so they can post fake member only caches. Yes, you may have the capability of knowing who looked at the page, but there is no proof that they are the one who stole it. Sure, you might have a good idea who did it, but what can you do about it? Even when you know exactly who took your cache, what consequence is there? I don't think it's likely that you could call the police to take care of it.

So, for now, I don't think there is much we can do about it. It might be something that we'll all just have to live with. Hopefully we can come up with some solutions, but for now my plan is just to make it very hard for someone to steal my caches. If they can hike the 20 miles roundtrip to the top of a peak, they can have my dadgum cache. I'll just put it back! We'll all get some good excercize!! Woohoo!

*Mocaches (new nickname given to Member Only Caches by ClayJar) I believe is prounounced moe-caches, at least that is how I've been saying it. I work at the Salt Lake County Jail and we call people who take advantage of children (molesters) moes (plural) or a mo (singular). Is this common terminology or just jargon? Has anybody else heard this saying? It just sounds bad in my ears, that's all I'm saying. At this point I'm sure the nick is going to stick and I'll just deal with it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Tyler Slack's Geocaching in Utah

I had the second and final cache of a two cache multi-cache stolen a few days after I posted that I put some expensive items that I brought back from Bermuda in it. It was at that time that I decided to do something about it. I started a page dedicated to tracking Stolen and Plundered Caches in Utah. It was suprising to see the amount of caches that were being affected. I stopped keeping track after another of my caches was stolen/removed. I pretty much expected that one to get taken. I stopped keeping track after that.

While I hate my caches to be stolen or plundered, I'm not sure what we can do about it. We now have "mocaches" (which, by the way, is not a good nickname for them in my opinion. *explanation at bottom of page) which are supposed to be a deterrent, but I don't think it's going to work as planned. Who won't be willing to pay $3 to get all of the coords for the Members Only Caches who has a grudge against the new system, just so they can go and remove the cache? Or some might even pay the money so they can post fake member only caches. Yes, you may have the capability of knowing who looked at the page, but there is no proof that they are the one who stole it. Sure, you might have a good idea who did it, but what can you do about it? Even when you know exactly who took your cache, what consequence is there? I don't think it's likely that you could call the police to take care of it.

So, for now, I don't think there is much we can do about it. It might be something that we'll all just have to live with. Hopefully we can come up with some solutions, but for now my plan is just to make it very hard for someone to steal my caches. If they can hike the 20 miles roundtrip to the top of a peak, they can have my dadgum cache. I'll just put it back! We'll all get some good excercize!! Woohoo!

*Mocaches (new nickname given to Member Only Caches by ClayJar) I believe is prounounced moe-caches, at least that is how I've been saying it. I work at the Salt Lake County Jail and we call people who take advantage of children (molesters) moes (plural) or a mo (singular). Is this common terminology or just jargon? Has anybody else heard this saying? It just sounds bad in my ears, that's all I'm saying. At this point I'm sure the nick is going to stick and I'll just deal with it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Tyler Slack's Geocaching in Utah

• Upvote 1

I'm counting two that each disappeared twice (one of which had all the "good" stuff stolen and the rest of the contents scattered about the area). Usually, they just end up missing entirely. I always wonder what has happened in these instances; did someone find it and steal it outright, did someone think it was garbage and throw it away, or did someone think it was discarded and take it home for their own use? I'd love to have a tracking bug in each and every cache to follow it wherever it goes!

24_700.gif