wimped out placing a cache

Guest MNMartian

Guest MNMartian

Ok, a dumb newbie question. Today I went out looking for a spot I thought might be a good place for hiding my first cache. After walking around for 2 hours I found out that the place actually had 2 ways to get into it. One way is about a .5 mile walk up a unmaintained trail, more like a deer path and wet in spots but do-able( the way I came in). The other a nice maintained trail with gravel(in the winter it's a snowmobile trail)but about a 1.5 mile walk from where you'd park. I only saw 2 people walking their dogs the whole time I was there.

I wimped out placing my cache because I wasn't sure if it was a good place! Then I kept thinking about, where in the woods? Would people stumble across it? Where should I tell people to park, at the shortest route(wetter) or the longer (drier) route? This road is closed during the winter months, so I would probably remove it for winter. I didn't and still don't know what to do! Should I just go back and place it?(I still think it'd be a good spot)

Has anyone else had this happen? confused.gif

Thanks for any input!

Guest EraSeek

Somewhere that you really like. Make sure it is not somewhere where it is going to upset people, or where it is likely to have accidental finds, and place it. Let them worry about how and when to get there. I've backed away from a number of places I thought I would place a cache for various reasons. Sometimes you just need to go at it twice before it seems right. Just hold back until it feels right.

Guest rediguana

I've only placed 5 caches so far, but 3 of them at least, and the next few I am about to do have all had at least one visit before I actually place the cache. I think it helps just to have a bit of time to think about placing the cache. OTOH if a cache feels right straight off, just place it!

Cheers Gav

Guest Chris Juricich

I'm considering a cache which has two approaches, ultimately. One is about a twenty minute big time UPHILL climb. The other is about 45 minutes of gentle hills with a final steep downhill stretch that would take several minutes to go back up! I'm considering calling it 'No Escape' as no matter what, you've got a hill to climb-- the choice being before or after you locate the cache.

I think providing alternate parking locations would be helpful (use GPS coords, natch).

Guest Chris Juricich

Another thing-- for me, a perfect cache will give me a good, solid 20 minute or more hike! If the cache is placed such that I can walk to it in five minutes from my car, there' better be a damned cool view or thing there! But a perfect world would provide both-- a good hike and a cool location.

ok I'm going to bed now!

Guest n1niq

I vote that you go ahead and place it. I don't like easy caches either icon_smile.gif. My wife and I hiked eight miles round trip for a cache yesterday just for the extra challenge (I could have parked closer but wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail to get there instead). As far as a place to hide it look for a stone wall in the area. Here in CT where everything used to be farmland you can find them everywhere. Just be sure to hide it where there is good gps coverage and be sure to be at least 50 feet off a trail.

Chris

[This message has been edited by n1niq (edited 05 August 2001).]

Guest n1niq

I vote that you go ahead and place it. I don't like easy caches either icon_smile.gif. My wife and I hiked eight miles round trip for a cache yesterday just for the extra challenge (I could have parked closer but wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail to get there instead). As far as a place to hide it look for a stone wall in the area. Here in CT where everything used to be farmland you can find them everywhere. Just be sure to hide it where there is good gps coverage and be sure to be at least 50 feet off a trail.

Chris

[This message has been edited by n1niq (edited 05 August 2001).]

Guest gabe_billings

I feel your pain on wimping out. I recently got some topo maps of the area around my house and took a hike the other day planning on planting a cache in a couple of interesting areas I'd scoped out. The idea was good in theory but when I went to check things out I was disappointed. One of the areas was just a little too uninteresting to make a decent hike and the other was a little to close to civilization and looked more like a dump than a pristine wooded setting. If I had a nickel for every discarded tire I saw...

So I nixed them both and will keep on looking.

Guest cache_ninja

im pretty picky about where i put a cache as well...i biked all over staten island (NYC) yesterday, for 9 hours, looking around, looking for a place to hide stuff, didn't find any worthwhile spots..

but then again, for some people finding caches, its not about the spot you place them at, they could care less if they find the cache. but i usually try to pick nice spots regardless..

c/n