Trackable USA Geocoins now shipping!

Eric K

I wish they would have left the back side blank so individuals could have their own design or team name put on it.......or at least a blank spot for that.....that would really have made a good trade item.....as it is.....it's nothing more than another travel bug....one that costs one dollar more even.......

We're going on a treasure hunt...we're not quite sure just where...but with our trusty GPS, we'll find a cache stashed there!!

By Daughter Cheryl

I had to order some. Not sure what I'll do with them. Maybe give some away at the next local event - let someone else agonize over whether to let it loose or not!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. - Dave Barry

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. - Dave Barry"

..beer IS the greatest invention, ever.

(as I take a sip of an Anheuser Busch product)

I recived mine in the mail yesterday! Thanks!

Chuck's Cache Cash

but I do have one question to all...

I know it works like a TB but do you think people will know what to do with it?!? I'm just figuring that people will be more likely to just pick it up and keep it thinking it was a regular cache item. O well! I will see how far it goes!

Thanks again!

quote:
Originally posted by CWL:

I recived mine in the mail yesterday! Thanks!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=36062

but I do have one question to all...

I know it works like a TB but do you think people will know what to do with it?!? I'm just figuring that people will be more likely to just pick it up and keep it thinking it was a regular cache item. O well! I will see how far it goes!

Thanks again!

You could maybe put a little note with it like a lot of people do with the travel bugs.

Thanks

Eric K

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

quote:
Originally posted by CWL:

I'm thinking about useing a http://www.xsnrg.com/geocachingwa/asp/travelbugsheet1.asp little tag like the one I put on my other TBs. but that would mean drilling a small hole in the coin. I don't want to have to do that but I'd hate more to loose the coin but someone who didn't know how to use it. O well

I was thinking since the coins come in their own little resealable plastic bag maybe you could take the Activation code off the plastic bag and put the note inside the bag. Just a suggestion.

Thanks,

Eric K

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

You could go to a hobby shop that has coin collecting supplies, pick up a square plastic case that will hold a coin the size of a geocoin, and drill a hole in the corner of that for a chain tag.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by nittany dave:

You could go to a hobby shop that has coin collecting supplies, pick up a square plastic case that will hold a coin the size of a geocoin, and drill a hole in the corner of that for a chain tag.

Doh!! icon_mad.gifThats a good idea, but its too late. icon_frown.gif I drilled a small hole in it last night. I drilled it on the edge of the coin and just big enough to run a key chain ring through it. That way I can attach a tag to it. I'll just shrink that tag I use 50% so its not so big.

I don't have them handy but I ordered 10 and mine started with 10012, I think. Cool to have such low numbers. The boys were excited when I opened the package - I hadn't told them they were coming.

In all honesty, I was not especially concerned about the price. This is really an economical hobby compared to some others. For the price of what some of my friends pay for a round of golf, I can hopefully make 10 cacher's day when they find them. Being early to the geocoins, folks will likely find mine as their first. I still remember how excited we were when we found our first TB. Unlike a round of golf, hopefully people will pass them along and allow others to find them again. Each time someone finds them, the cost per finder is reduced. If 10 folks find each one before they go missing, it's 50 cents each.

I suppose that there is a good chance that by accident or on purpose they will fall out of circulation. I like the idea of putting them in coin holders and including a note about what they are. May help to preserve them for a while. Then again, if someone really likes it and keeps it, I guess that's okay too. Kinda like Iron Chef's spoon signature item I picked up in Pacific Grove this fall. I thought it unique and have kept it as a memory of my travels to California (though according to legend, we are all paying for these spoons! icon_cool.gif.)

I think that when I get a chance, hopefully over the weekend, I will start a couple of them out by putting them in my caches. So come on out to the western 'burbs of Chicago and help me get these moving!

George