Great moments in geocaching history

Think back, way back, you are getting very sleepy, now tell me, what moments of history remind you of Geocaching?

For me it was "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"

which I feel is the all-time best geocaching movie.

No GPSRs, but a really addicting hobby even then.

(Buddy Hackett passed this last month, he was an acquaintance, Good bye Buddy!!)

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

[This message was edited by GeoCan on July 10, 2003 at 08:55 PM.]

quote:
Time Bandits. THAT was a good caching movie. No GPSr. All they needed was a map.

Been too many years since I've seen that movie, but most of my hunts have been more like "Quantum Leap" or "Sliders" than anything else. icon_smile.gif

Oh, yes, and lest I forget - "Dr. Who".

OK, OK, I know they're all TV shows. icon_smile.gif

I think it was "Wuthering Heights". Heathcliff and Cathy kept searching for something that was there all along, right in front of their eyes. Sniff, sinff...

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Oops, I didn't read your entire post, so I thought it was just about movies.

So here:

King Aurthur and the Holy Grail

Cornwallis's search for Francis Marion (AKA the Swamp Fox).

Bob Ballard's search for the Titantic.

William Shackleton's search for someone to rescue his Antartic expedition (look that sucker up if you're ever feeling life is tough).

Teddy Roosevelt's search for the 3 guys who stole a boat from his Dakota ranch (another great story).

Michael Jackson's (no, not that Michael Jackson) search for the perfect beer.

Admiral Hood's search for De Grasse's fleet near the end of the American Revolution.

Geez, I'm probably missing tons...but this is what came to mind.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 10, 2003 at 08:08 PM.]

Two movies....

TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD -- the items Boo Radley hids in the trees and and kids who collect them in a cigar box. I can't watch the opening credits of that movie without thinking of geocaching and trade items.

the other movie??

FANDANGO with Keven Costner. When they go on the three day journey to the desert to find "DOM".

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

circa 1968

Some MORON fails to read the guidelines about NOT placing food in a cache and leaves a cake in the ammo box. Furthermore, said MORON fails to properly close the lid to said ammo box and, of course, it begins to rain!

Very first case of a totally ruined cache. Sweet green icing all over the logbook. Also a striped pair of pants and a yellow cotton dress were ruined.

The cache owner is upset and doesn't think that he can take it, cause it took so long to make it. Also his "Favorite Recipes Travel Bug" appears to be lost.

The archive note simply reads, "OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by Chris&Cindy:

"Bat 21" a your life is at stake puzzle cache.

That one came to my mind as well as did another more recent and very similiar movie also staring Gene Hackman. "Behind Enemy Lines". Kind of a desperate multi cache. Pretty exciting movie, with a little Hollywood exageration. Wouldn't appeal to those Boxcar fliers with Jet envy.

Don't trash the Trash Haulers... Those Herky crews are great, could't do it without em..

Now that there are "Go-fast" trash haulers a hybrid "nom de Guerre" needs to be developed...

Of course those "Go-Fast" pilots had SR-71 Envy, too... how would you like to be zipped in a self contained immobile suit for 14 hours. with no rest stops,and no "facilities" except a wear all the time "Urinary Collection Device" UCD?

Good cache activity though, Go to these Coordinates VERY fast, TAKE information, maybe get shot at, come back and do it again tomorrow....and if you get "lost" no-one knows you.

HABU!

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtim

Spock in search of a woman so he can get &%$*(. Come down with a real bad case of the hornies. No GPSr, just the urge to spawn. hehehe!

------------------------------------------------

... and what about Captain Kirk in search of Spock. Man-o-Man, what a cache container that would make!!

------------------------------------------

(Insert Star Trek music where Kirk and Spock Battle)

Lend me your ear while I call you a fool.

http://coloradogeocaching.com/

quote:
BrianSnat

I won't eat it either.

posted July 10, 2003 07:56 PM .

William Shackleton's search for someone to rescue his Antartic expedition (look that sucker up if you're ever feeling life is tough).

Michael Jackson's (no, not that Michael Jackson) search for the perfect beer.

Shackleton did have a run of bad luck but at least he had an ample supply of Bass Ale. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Two movies....

TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD -- the items Boo Radley hids in the trees and and kids who collect them in a cigar box. I can't watch the opening credits of that movie without thinking of geocaching and trade items.

the other movie??

FANDANGO with Keven Costner. When they go on the three day journey to the desert to find "DOM".

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

This is scary! YOu picked two of my favorites. I especially like the line from 'Fandango' -- "Better to go like this than some senseless tragedy". A great Geocaching motto!

Gotta watch them both again, TNX

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

"Think back, way back, you are getting very sleepy, now tell me, what moments of history remind you of Geocaching?"

The one that comes to mind is the big search that took place June 4-6, 1942 in the Pacific Ocean. American planes searched and found the carriers of Admiral Nagumo's Strike force. They used compasses, dead reckoning and good luck. The movie: Battle of Midway gives great tension and excitement as the search unfolds.

Either I read this thread too fast or no one mentioned Monty Python and the Holy Grail, or Excalibur. Yea, yea, 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.............

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

[This message was edited by Snoogans on July 11, 2003 at 09:16 PM.]

quote:
Canadazuuk wrote:

STAR TREK WITH THE LITTLE HANDHELD THINGIES

Yes, I never did understand why they kept talking to their GPSrs. Were they voice-activated?

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by SKYCOP:

Ok, even though I'm 40 something, the best find of all time has to be...

finding Jeanie in the bottle. Oh that lucky Colonel Tony Nelson icon_wink.gif

I keep hoping one of those ammo boxes will surprise me.

PARENTS....THE ANTI-DRUG

I'm thirty something...and I still think Barbra Eden's HOT!!! dadgum, they don't make jeanie's like they useta!! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Woodbutcher68 wrote:

BillD, there were other people coming so they pretended the GPSr's were cell phones.

Duh, I should have thought of that!!!

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald