Ok, so what's this frog stuff all about any way

Greenback

I see Keystone Approver talking about "divine knowledge of the frog" and I've seen others commenting on all the frog smileys. So what's up with frogs? Did someone spend money doing market research and they discovered that frogs are all the rage?

1745549_200.jpg

[This message was edited by Greenback on September 21, 2003 at 11:07 AM.]

[This message was edited by Greenback on September 21, 2003 at 11:08 AM.]

I'm not sure what the frog has to do with Geocaching besides the fact that Jeremy likes it, and it's his website. I quess it's his trademark...the same as the pitch fork that I put on my hiking staffs.

A frog is as good as any other symbol that you could use. Maybe Jeremy would be kind enough to tell us the story behind it?

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

tongue.gif The United States government formed a committee of 250 people and spent $50,000,000 to establish that the use of a frog is acceptable in the Geocaching forums. This will still have to be ratified by Congress, but I am sure that the voting will be a "YEA", across the boards.

Lend me your ear while I call you a fool.

We started using Signal the frog big_smile.gif to represent GPS technology, since showing any GPS receiver would end up being partial to one GPS design over another. Signal first shows up on the Cache In Trash Out page but you'll start seeing him more on the site, like when we update the Geocaching FAQ on the web site.

Signal represents the combination of technology and nature, which will be a continual theme throughout Geocaching.com as well as Groundspeak. The frog was decided on since it is found in almost all cultures, and most countries consider frogs good luck. The antenna and frog is a combination of that combo.

The creation of "the frog" has also come to represent Groundspeak, the powers that be (TPTB), or that dastardly evil tyrant Jeremy whose minions inexplicably lock topics that have no content (oh no! surprise.gif). So you'll see the "divine knowledge of the frog" as tongue in cheek references to Groundspeak/Geocaching.com

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Well, Jeremy... I wouldn't go so far as to call you evil... icon_wink.gif

Seriously though... lots of locked topics do have a lot of content. A lot of those have content that sometimes does not belong in these forums though. Besides... they're threads, people need to stop getting to upset when they get locked. Start a new one or send emails or pick up the phone. The minions aren't going to stop you. I think they govern the forums very well, personally. They even let some topics go way further than they need to.

Quit yelling at the frog. Er... maybe the ninja turtle.

-Zach

-Team Zen-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Well, I guess I understand the frog a little better, but I still am confused about the nail in its head. Why is there a nail in the frog's head?

It's an antenna, though on the emoticon it looks like a wart on its head. Not a whole lot of pixels to work with there.

Perhaps the antenna is imbedded in the pleasure center of its brain? shock.gif

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

The frog was decided on since it is found in almost all cultures, and most countries consider frogs good luck. The antenna and frog is a combination of that combo.

Actually the frog is considered a symbol of fertility, in many cultures. Especially here in the Northwest. It's usually depicted as a representation of a phallic symbol. Next time you see a frog on a totem pole, you'll know what it means. bad_boy_a.gif

1_124.GIF

If I were to choose a critter, along those lines, I would choose the turtle. In ancient times the turtle was the earth. The reason the sun rose and set was due to the turtles travels.

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Actually the frog is considered a symbol of fertility, in many cultures. Especially here in the Northwest. It's usually depicted as a representation of a phallic symbol.

Very true. There are lots of great sites to go to (like this one) that will give you other stories and myths that involve frogs. All teenage snickers aside, though a phallic symbol would be created with the frog's image due to its mythology in fertility, it was not due to the shape of the frog.

Another myth is its role in transformation, since a frog starts as a tadpole and transforms into a frog. It lends well with the transformation of technology from something that is immobile to the mobility of GPS and its use in the outdoors. As the tadpole was able to leave its place of birth after transforming to a frog, technology has advanced to a point where we can leave our office or home with it.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Since I don't spend time loading images when web-browsing, I clicked on Jeremy's frog called 'big_smile.gif'. I was rather surprised to see a bright red FROWN!

Not that I really care but what makes it a frog? It's human-flesh colored, and wears an old German military helmut with strap and headlamp.

!?!!

(Ironically, professionally I did 3D animation and video-editing for a living--if that's supposed to be a frog, in my opinion you didn't get your money's worth.)

Sorry,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

Not that I really care but what makes it a frog? It's human-flesh colored, and wears an old German military helmut with strap and headlamp.

My suggestion would be to reinstall whatever operating system you're using. Or perhaps you need your GPS examined. The batteries may be in backwards.

BTW, if you have any links to your designs online, I'd love to see them. There's a great many talented people here in the forums.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

[This message was edited by Jeremy on September 21, 2003 at 05:24 PM.]

My curiosity re. the frog image is now satisfied and I must say, Jeremy, I had no idea that so much thought might have gone into its selection as a symbol for our sport.

Regardless of how folks might feel about it (some seem to like it, some hold a lesser view of its appropriateness) it is clear that the decision to use it was based upon intellectual rather than emotional reasoning.

Nice job Mr.J....

"Today's truth remains valid only as long as it withstands the test of tomorrow's discoveries" - George Hicks