How many LTFs?

Time for something irrelevant and trivial, unlike other threads here. icon_wink.gif

We all know (or wish we knew) the thrill of being FTF a new cache. But what about LTF (last to find)? I've got 36 finds, but if you don't count the 3 virts, that's 33. Out of those, 3 have been removed by the owners for various reasons, shortly after I found them. So I'm LTF for those three caches. Three doesn't sound like much, but that's about 9% of my physical cache finds!

Anybody else notice (or care) how many LTFs they have?

SylvrStorm

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

I have at least one LTF. Just when I was driving off the cache site after the find, I noticed a fellow cacher going up after it, and as I later on read in the logs, he never found it. After his second try he actually called me for a hint and he didn't find it even after I gave one. Finally I agreed to go back to the site again and check if the container was still there. It wasn't. Like, did it vanish during the 3 minutes between me leaving the area and the next cacher arriving there?

Well, the owner placed a new cache soon after that, and since then the cache has been found several times. I am still sometimes afraid that I find the original container in my backpack...

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

I'm not sure if this qualifys as a LTF, but with mine, the cache had been plundered quite badly - contents spread all over the place, many items had been partially burned (I guess it takes more than a lighter or matches to torch Rubbermaid!) I collected the container and contents, and e-mailed the owner about it, who then archived it. I was the last person to find it, but for a good reason.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

I don't think we've ever been last to find a cache that subsequently went missing, but we've been first to NOT find a missing cache quite a few times. Once, we passed a team that was hunting for a cache, and by the time we returned from a different cache, 45 minutes later, the first cache was gone! (And no, the team before us didn't steal it. They were, I'm sure, fine, upstanding cachers. Who were apparently observed.) We also recently found a vandalized cache -- contents scattered around on the ground in the middle of some, um, human waste. Ugh. Once, we had to take a cache with us because we couldn't put it back stealthily (we returned the next day), but I still think that's better than being the dreaded Last to Find. I mean, isn't there always this dark cloud of "didn't I hide it well enough? was someone watching me?" hanging over you when something goes missing shortly after your find?

I'm an LTF on at least two.

One I rather destroyed a cache(long story), which in turned spawned a couple of other caches poking fun at me for doing that.

The other I was both FTF and LTF. Ok the LTF isn't the entire truth. But the squirrel that took off with the cache and tried to eat it doesn't have an account to log his find. The cache owner replaced it with a new cache and a new cache page. A couple of days later the squirell dropped the cache near where he had stolen it.

I'm not sure about LFT on other caches.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

I mean, isn't there always this dark cloud of "didn't I hide it well enough? was someone watching me?" hanging over you when something goes missing shortly after your find?

True, there would be. I worry about that anyway, and am always careful when I rehide a cache. Fortunately for me, the three I mentioned at the start of this thread were all archived for other reasons, and as far as I know were in good condition when the hider decided to pull them.

SylvrStorm

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

Fy and I always worry about that, and feel horrible when a cache goes missing after we find it.

Of the 471 we’ve found, we’ve been LTF on, oh, about 110.. I figure that’s about average so I don’t feel too bad.

JUST KIDDING! Seriously - it’s 3 out of 471 - so something around 1 out of 157. (We keep a database of caches, including if they were found after we found them). We feel awful for the three that were lost after us. What’s interesting is this: all three were within our first 150 finds... the next 320 don’t have a single “lost after us” among them - so we think we are getting better at re-hiding the caches.

-J