Explaining Geocaching

Explaining Geocaching (not my best, but what the heck, the forums need a kick, and I'm not a photoshop person)

Geocacher: “Ok it’s like this, someone hides something and you find it with your GPS”

Pre-Newbie “But then I could walk right up to it, what fun is that?”

G “That’s why it’s hidden”

PN “If it’s hidden how am I going to know it’s there?”

G “You look up where it’s at on the internet”

PN “You want me to find it, but hide it so I can’t, then you have to tell me where it is so I can find it?”

G “Um…sort of. You need to know it’s there so you can look for it otherwise you wouldn’t know and couldn’t look”

PN “ok I think I have it. You hide it so it can’t be found, then list it so people will go looking for what you hid anyway. That’s just stupid”

G “it’s about the hunt”

PN “Right, the hunt. I have the location in my GPS and what I’m looking for doesn’t move. What hunt?”

G “Trying to find it”

PN “But you just told me where it’s at!”

G “The challenge is finding it when you get there, that’s why it’s hidden, plus getting there to begin with can be a problem”

PN “Oh, it’s like a treasure hunt”

G “well…mostly, but without the treasure”

PN “so we aren’t really finding anything?”

G “Not really, unless the cache is new it’s mostly junky toys”

PN “Why would I want to find that?”

G “It’s about the challenge of finding it, it’s fun!”

PN “Yeah, I forgot, the hunt for something that doesn’t move”

G “It’s not as easy as you think”

PN “Why make a box of junk hard to find?”

G “For the challenge”

PN “Right, the challenge of finding what you just told me was there that’s supposed to be hard but doesn’t move”

G “Tell you what, why don’t you just go with me once and you will see. It’s funner than it sounds”

PN “Where do they hide them?”

G “All over, parks, forest, rivers, creeks, in the city, at rest areas, public lands, scenic spots, historical spots. A lot of these places are areas that you have never seen even if you lived here a long time, I’ve even found one that was hidden in a unisex bathroom”

PN Gives the geocacher a strange look realizing what depths he’s sunken to “Why would you want to look in a bathroom for junk?”

G “You know what? If I have to explain it to you NEVER MIND!”

PN, “OK OK, I’ll go with you, what kind of container is the junk in?”

G “Tupperware, ammo can’s, and all kinds of things.

PN “We find the junk, then what?”

G “Well you sign the log book then trade if you want.”

PN “Trade?”

G “Sure, every now and then you will find something worth trading for.

PN “Trade huh? Good I need some ammo cans and I’ve got those expired MRE’s in the back of the rig.”

G Rolls Eyes, and looks carefully at the pre-newbie.

PN “What are you staring for”

G “I was looking for scars on your head”

PN “Why?”

G “Because only someone who had head trauma could be as dense as you!”

YOu hit the nail on the head RK. I've struggled mightily to explain the concept at times. Some people get it right away but others don't get it. I introduced it to some friends of mine. The wife was totally intrigued but the husband thought it sounded bizarre (our conversation went very much like the above script!). Nevertheless, the husband observed his wife's enthusiasm and bought a Magellen a few days later.

Since then, she is totally hooked and he is still on the fence. So far, he has marked the coordinates of his livingroom couch (now referred to as "Couch Cache") and determined that is is exactly .002 miles from the couch to the mailbox (as the crow flies).

I am Lothar, King of the Hill people. I have many tails to tell....

quote:
Originally posted by Lothar69:

YOu hit the nail on the head RK. I've struggled mightily to explain the concept at times.

It's a high tech scavenger hunt. That's usually the way I explain it to people.

My 7 year old son explained it a different way. Geocaching is where you're a seeker playing Quidditch like Harry Potter and the cache is the snitch. That works for him. icon_biggrin.gif

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

RK I have read many replys from you in the forums. Why are you so hostile towards newbies? You make comments like they should have to find 10 caches before they log they should have to read everything on the forums etc etc. But then you will take the time to write something that wont help a newbie but make them feel more insecure then they already are. Really what do you care you will never meet any of them. Its actually been a lifesaver for me. I wanted to crawl in bed never to come out again. Instead I got a gps and started walking away all the sh** in my life. Lighten up Life is short. Geocaching is for everyone even the techno stupid. Anyways what do you care I am just a newbie with under 1o cache finds. I shouldnt even be allowed to reply to you.

Buggy

aka

Conni

I usually start with something like:

"There are these hidden containers all around you. You may have passed them by a thousand times without knowing it. And only a few people can find them, its like a secret society"

Maintaining an air of mystery really helps. Aliases, secret logbook etc.

Cache is Clay

quote:
Originally posted by Buggy:

RK I have read many replys from you in the forums. Why are you so hostile towards newbies? You make comments like they should have to find 10 caches before they log they should have to read everything on the forums etc etc. But then you will take the time to write something that wont help a newbie but make them feel more insecure then they already are. Really what do you care you will never meet any of them. Its actually been a lifesaver for me. I wanted to crawl in bed never to come out again. Instead I got a gps and started walking away all the sh** in my life. Lighten up Life is short. Geocaching is for everyone even the techno stupid. Anyways what do you care I am just a newbie with under 1o cache finds. I shouldnt even be allowed to reply to you.

Buggy

aka

Conni

Funny you should ask that. Your registration date shows up at 2001. In that regard you are older than me. However your finds are all new. So I'll make a leap here and say that you are too new to know that I don't have anything agaisnt newbies. My sence of forum humor has taken that turn lately is all.

This topic was to put a humoriouse light on the frustrations of explaining geocaching to someone who doesn't get it.

The one you mention was to put a utterly redicioulse (sp?) spin on rules for people. Making fun of proposed rules for cache placers.

Before that was one on selecting a finder that makes was a parody of all the endless discusions here about 'what makes a good cache and why do people place lame ones'.

My first two are The Perfect Politically Correct Cacheand If Geocaching Was on ESPN2

My muse takes me where it will. I'm not sure it will take me next. You are right. Life is short, check your pocket for that grain of salt you should have taken this thread with. Oh and next time look for the icon_wink.gif Wink dude. He's a dead giveaway.

I always, well most of the time, enjoy your sense of Humor? RK. Sometimes I have to remind myself of it. Is reminding oneself talking to oneself?

I explain Geocaching is a treasure hunt for over 60,000 caches worldwide and then ask if they want to come along. If so the hunt will explain itself if they don't then Oh well! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

Maybe it's my charming personality. Maybe it's because I so good looking...but I don't seem to encounter complication when I explain geocaching. Sure, there are always lots of questions, but almost always, I see enthusiasm growing rapidly with every answer. (Wow! That's cool. That's really cool! I can't believe that! I'm going home and look it up right away!)

Seriously, I have not found many people who are skeptics. And I don't find it that difficult to explain.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

When people ask me what I'm doing, I just mutter incoherently and scurry off. Then I start shouting obscenities at them from behind a tree. I find I don't get many more questions after that. Sometimes people feel sorry for me and give me money.

Kicking people, about the head and throat, who ask questions seems to work too.

Actually, I'm not sure if it's because most of my caching has been done during times when most people are working, due to my own work schedule, or what. But I don't get many questions, it's actually somewhat infrequent that I run across someone while I'm on the trail. I think that I've been asked 3-4 times out of about 100 caches I've grabbed. I've also tried to explain it to some friends and family members. They seem to get it, but aren't really interested for the most part.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970