Ketchup vs. Catsup

Firefishe

I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I decided that, since it's been mentioned at least a *couple* of times icon_biggrin.gif that it needed a short-lived debate.

So what do you think? Ketchup vs. Catsup

Oh..wait

I mean GeoKetchup vs. GeoCatsup...?

Which one is "correct"

My thanks to Neuman on this thread for the most excellent suggestion icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

May the GeoFarce be with you.

--DementoFishe

196939_600.gif

[This message was edited by Firefishe on September 19, 2002 at 10:27 PM.]

You would actually think it's Catchup. But noooooo. Someone had to go mess with language and make two poorly spelled words instead!

For the record, I prefer "ketchup" over "catsup".

It is my imagination, or is this one of those words that looks less and less like a real word the longer you look at it?

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Ketchup. I don't know anybody that says "catsup" and I'd probably have to smack them around a bit if they did. icon_wink.gif

"Catsup" is pronouced "ketchup."

Being from a family of brand-loyal Heinz shoppers, I grew up spelling it "Ketchup."

There are those here that would argue that since both spellings are considered correct, neither one is. icon_confused.gif

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

My personal favorite item is "processed cheese food."

Noticing that very term a few days ago while making grilled cheese, I discovered this tidbit of useless info:

"I'm currently taking Nardil for depression. I understand that I can't eat any aged foods. The question I have is about the "real processed cheese food" available. I realize that this isn't real cheese, so I was wondering if this would be ok to eat. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated as the Doctor and Pharmacist were unable to come up with the answer."

You can't eat real processed cheese food (cheese spread or cheese food) because it contains some colby and cheddar cheese along with additional milk fat. Cheese food is not a real cheese because it doesn't contain enough milk to be labeled real cheese, but none the less contains some aged cheeses.

A key to understanding why you can't have any aged foods begins with understanding why your food choices are restricted when you are taking Nardil. This drug is a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibiting (MAOI) drug. MAOs are enzymes in the intestinal lining (mucosa) and in the liver that detoxify certain amines. If these 'pressor' amines (tyramine, dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine) are not detoxified, they can be harmful to one's health.

Therefore a person taking an MAOI, like yourself, becomes vulnerable to any foods, drinks or other drugs which naturally contain these 'pressor' amines. When you eat a food containing these substances, the toxic levels amines are then not detoxified, causing your blood vessels to constrict (vasoconstriction), which can lead to high blood pressure (hypertension) problems.

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

This arguement should only strike a chord the NJ and metro NY area and maybe parts of Boston.

Is the red stuff you put on spaghetti, sauce or gravy? This is an argument that I've had for years with many of my Italian friends. I've always called it sauce, but many of them call it gravy.

Still other Italians think that the ones who call it gravy are a bunch of carfonnes (or how ever that is spelled)

To me gravy is the brown stuff you put on turkey at Thanksgiving.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Growing up near Pittsburgh PA, the home of Heinz, ketchup was the only acceptable option. Ketchup was, and still is, the all purpose condiment.

Heinz is the original producer of the modern ketchup. Catsup was originally a different product created to compete with Heinz ketchup. Now nearly all manufacturers call their tomato paste based condiment ketchup. The government even has regulations for what the ingredients of ketchup are. icon_smile.gif

For your reading pleasure. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

....the toxic levels amines are then not detoxified, causing your blood vessels to constrict (vasoconstriction), which can lead to high blood pressure (hypertension) problems.

Must...not....eat....cheeeeese....foooood.

"Ma'am, please drop the Velveeta and nobody gets

hurt."

"You can pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

-----------------------------------------------------------

I sincerely feel that the facts are completely irrelevant in this case.

Catsup looks like it has something to do with cats.

Now don't get me wrong, I love cats. They taste just like chicken.

But to make a condiment out of them is totally inhumane and gross. I vote for ketchup.

On my first day of school my parents dropped me off at the wrong nursery. There I was...surrounded by trees and bushes.

quote:
Originally posted by Walkin Stick:

Just out of curiosity... If you are parading a bunch of kids through the woods and come across a dead animal do you say: Carry on -or- Carrion???

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

Personally, I say.... dead

- love the cat soup!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

quote:
Originally posted by Neuman:

quote:
"your people"

You must be from the south??

Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell you. If not, there's no need to embarass him! icon_razz.gif

http://www.old-capitol-club.com/txwood.JPG

Why yes I am from the south, Sicily is the southern most part of Italy.

And Sicily is the Texas of Italy, We know we are better than the mainland and never let them forget it.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

quote:
Originally posted by Couch_Potato:

For your reading pleasure. icon_biggrin.gif

Now THAT was educational. I am kinda sad that "Cornchops" never took.

Iowans must be proud!

Just FYI, in Japan, they call it "Tomato Ke-cha-pu". It's closer to Heinz. icon_biggrin.gif I don't know what other kind of "Ke-cha-pu" they sell. Never heard of the Chinese stuff the article refers to.

What's it called in other countries?

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

[This message was edited by VentureForth on September 20, 2002 at 11:14 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

I call stuffing stuffing, but some people call it dressing but that's what I put on my salad. If I could pour stuffing from a bottle I don't think I would eat it! icon_razz.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

According to Julia Childs :

"It's stuffing if its cooked in the bird and Dressing if its cooked in a pan, Bon Appetite!"

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

From looking at the Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology, it seems that the original word was 'catchup' in the 18th century (and cited as 'catsup' by Swift) and then in the 19th century became ketchup.

Regarding sauce vs. gravy, I'm only marginally Italian (4th gen), and it's been 'sauce' in my house; I dated a 2nd gen Italian woman where it was 'gravy' in her house.

----------

I will prepare food with my iron fist!

Then I will work my way up to ruling you all with my fist!

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
In Cincinnati, the red stuff they put on spaghetti is chili.

The stuff they make in Cincinati ain't chili. I'm not even from Texas, but I know cinnamon, cloves and chocolate do not go in chili. And real chili ain't served over spaghetti (or rice for that matter), no way, no how.

Agreed, it's not really chili. More like ketchup (catsup?) with beans and meat. But it's what passes for chili in Cincinnati. And they put it on spaghetti.

25021_1200.gif

Like ApK, we buy Heinz, so it's "ketchup."

And I believe the culinary distinction between sauce and gravy is that the latter is made with some kind of meat base, like turkey or beef gravy. So the tomato-based stuff you put on spagetti is "sauce." Having said that, my friends of Italian ancestry call it "gravy" and they don't like it much when I correct them. Go figure.

----------

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." - Lily Tomlin

Gravy:

Definition: A sauce made from meat juices, usually combined with a liquid such as chicken or beef broth, wine or milk and thickened with flour, cornstarch or some other thickening agent. A gravy may also be the simple juices left in the pan after meat, poultry or fish has been cooked.

Sauce:

Definition: v. To cover or mix a food with a sauce. n. sauce In the most basic terms, a sauce is a thickened, flavored liquid designed to accompany food in order to enhance and bring out its flavor. In the days before refrigeration, however, sauces were more often used to smother the taste of foods that had begun to go bad. The French are credited with refining the sophisticated art of sauce-making. It was the 19th-century French chef Antonin Carême who evolved an intricate methodology by which hundreds of sauces were classified under one of five "mother sauces." Those are: espagnole (brown stock-based), velouté (light stock-based), béchamel (basic white sauce), hollandaise and mayonnaise (emulsified sauces) and vinaigrette (oil-and-vinegar combinations).

Encyclopedia of food. Foodtv.com

But Im telling you, for us italians its just a regional thing. Like Soda vs Pop.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif