member only caches

ron50eli

As far as I understand from what I read months ago, members only caches are for those who are willing to pay a fee to join a cache sub-group. I don't see a reason for the club and I understand that only members will have access to those "special caches". Maybe that is why you can't find any such caches - you probably need to be a member with a special password and handshake. Maybe even a secret decoder ring. (Boy, am I showing my age)

Actually, the main reason you can't find one is that there isn't one anywhere near you. Everyone sees the cache on their nearest caches search, but only members can see the details. Pretty much a non-issue for most cachers, since there are very few out there. The main reason members place members only caches is to try to reduce the chances of plundering. There have been NUMEROUS threads on this. A good way to get more info would be to do a search of the forums.

Happy caching!

25021_1200.gif

This is a coincidence because i just ran across the first "Members only" cache on here tonight. I wasnt logged in the first time i saw it, so of course the page wouldnt come up when i hit the details button. Went back while logged in and it worked fine.

The two i found are in Oregon, clicked locate by state and then found them on the page that listed 51 to 75 out of 1068!

Its not a bad idea i suppose, but im not sure that there are that many people going to the GeoCaching website just looking for caches to plunder.

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Its not a bad idea i suppose, but im not sure that there are that many people going to the GeoCaching website just looking for caches to plunder.

Well, there's at least one in my area. I found today that the second cache I placed had been outright stolen. On a hunch, we checked on a friend's cache about 2 miles away and it had been stolen as well. Both of these caches were in very well-hidden areas where they are VERY unlikely to be stumbled upon by your general hiking populace in the local parks.

I've determined that the best way to combat this sort of thievery is to either monitor the cache location 24 hours a day (thinking of efficient, economical ways to do this) -or- make all future caches of mine "members only". True, if the thief (or thieves) really want to, they can buy a membership too...but I really doubt they would pay for a membership just so they can go steal ammo cans. I don't know, then again maybe they would. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I've just about had it with all the garbage like this in my town. I think most of my caches in the future will consist of a logbook, a pen, a pencil, and a Rubbermaid container. Ammo cans are my first preference for caches but I refuse to continue to supply Bubba the Moron with ammo cans. I think people are probably less likely to steal a Rubbermaid or Gladware container. Yes, I know they'll probably leak and yes, I will fix them if that happens.

When I place a cache, I try to choose nice places that other people will enjoy visiting and that they may not know exist. I will continue to do so and if the theives continue stealing the caches, well I'll only be out about $3.00 instead of $20 or more.

Oh and if you're wondering why I would monitor the cache 24 hours a day, it's so that if I get a good shot of the theif, their pictures are going to be posted in various places including my cache page and various websites that I run.

Sorry for the rant...this last theft was just about the last straw for me and I'm still pretty irate about it. If you are bored and want to read the updated description on my cache page, that will be obvious... icon_mad.gif

JM-99

Losing faith in humanity more and more each day.

quote:
Originally posted by Sickticket:

As far as I understand from what I read months ago, members only caches are for those who are willing to pay a fee to join a cache sub-group. I don't see a reason for the club and I understand that only members will have access to those "special caches". Maybe that is why you can't find any such caches - you probably need to be a member with a special password and handshake. Maybe even a secret decoder ring. (Boy, am I showing my age)

We are members. Since this post, have only seen one in our area. We pay the $30 annual member's fee to help the site more than anything. And from what I understand, the Members only caches aren't going over so well. Don't know about that.

H&SC.

rocker51 icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jumpmaster:

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Well, there's at least one in my area. I found today that the second cache I placed had been outright stolen. On a hunch, we checked on a friend's cache about 2 miles away and it had been stolen as well. Both of these caches were in very well-hidden areas where they are VERY unlikely to be stumbled upon by your general hiking populace in the local parks.

I've determined that the best way to combat this sort of thievery is to either monitor the cache location 24 hours a day (thinking of efficient, economical ways to do this) -or- make all future caches of mine "members only". True, if the thief (or thieves) really want to, they can buy a membership too...but I really doubt they would pay for a membership just so they can go steal ammo cans. I don't know, then again maybe they would. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I've just about had it with all the garbage like this in my town. I think most of my caches in the future will consist of a logbook, a pen, a pencil, and a Rubbermaid container. Ammo cans are my first preference for caches but I refuse to continue to supply Bubba the Moron with ammo cans. I think people are probably less likely to steal a Rubbermaid or Gladware container. Yes, I know they'll probably leak and yes, I will fix them if that happens.

When I place a cache, I try to choose nice places that other people will enjoy visiting and that they may not know exist. I will continue to do so and if the theives continue stealing the caches, well I'll only be out about $3.00 instead of $20 or more.

Oh and if you're wondering why I would monitor the cache 24 hours a day, it's so that if I get a good shot of the theif, their pictures are going to be posted in various places including my cache page and various websites that I run.

[sorry for the rant...this last theft was just about the last straw for me and I'm still pretty irate about it. If you are bored and want to read the updated description on my cache page, that will be obvious... icon_mad.gif]

JM-99

Losing faith in humanity more and more each day.

You rant all you want. I hate (strong word) Thieves........If it doesn't belong to you.....KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF. or put it back. Of course you would have to touch it if it's a cache. BUT PUT IT BACK!!!!! icon_mad.gif

H&SC.....

rocker51

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=30429 is the only one I've seen in my area listed as a "Members Only" cache.

It comes up on my computer like any other cache, but then again, I'm a Charter Member.

I'm curious to know how it shows up on a non-charter members screen.

]

~Honest Value Never Fails~

I'm a non member and it comes up on my screen just fine also. Doesn't look like a members only cache to me. I'm sure I could find it with the info given and a free airline ticket. Or since it's in Texas probably a bus ticket. icon_smile.gif

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

There are a few members only caches in my area and I sent in my check last week. I am just waiting for my confirmation e-mail to be able to get the details and perhaps place one or two members only theme caches around here. I am also waiting for time to finish getting my approval from the Park and Rec. Dept.

Cache you later,

Planet

we are members and have placed 1 members only cache.The origial cache in this area was stolen and so far we have had several finds on its replacement and it hasent been stolen.The main reason we made it members only was to help stop theft,and so far so good.I think if people are willing to put the money to play the game they are a little more responsible with re hiding and it also help stop those who just want to plunder.

quote:
Originally posted by Freelens & Mosie:

I'm a non member and it comes up on my screen just fine also. Doesn't look like a members only cache to me. I'm sure I could find it with the info given and a free airline ticket. Or since it's in Texas probably a bus ticket.

That's because it's no longer a MO cache. When I found it, it was still MO, though I didn't realize it until I was posting my log. It's not uncommon for cache hiders to make a cache MO for a short time, as a bonus to those who support GC, then make it an open cache.

3608_1400.gif