Why do teams with the least number of finds ...

... have the most (not always good) to say on the forum.

... feel they need to hide a cache before they have done enough to know a good hide from a "I've got to hide a cache" hide.

... will not except comments from experienced cachers and take them as criticism.

There are many more, but I thought this would make an interesting thread.

Of course the way these forums work, only the teams with the least number of finds will anwser.

Team Sand Dollar

I don't see why not having a lot of finds means someone doesn't have something to contribute here. I've seen posts from people with a few hundred finds that were pretty darn stupid and posts from someone with 4 or 5 finds that made a lot of sense.

I also disagree with the requirement that someone find a bunch of caches before hiding one. I placed my first cache after only one find. The only thing I've learned since, was that I didn't have to put as much thought and effort into putting together and hiding a cache.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The only thing I've learned since, was that I didn't have to put as much thought and effort into putting together and hiding a cache.

Since I've placed one after finding 10 or so, and finding a few more sense, I've come to the conclusion that I put as much or more thought into mine than I needed too compared to all the caches I've found, but I still want to put more effort into thr next one.

I hope that anyone that ever comes to any cache I ever place will think that I have put a lot of thought into it.

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

Since I've placed one after finding 10 or so, and finding a few more sense, I've come to the conclusion that I put as much or more thought into mine than I needed too compared to all the caches I've found, but I still want to put more effort into thr next one.

I hope that anyone that ever comes to any cache I ever place will think that I have put a lot of thought into it.

Amen, I haven't placed my first cache but have put a ton of thought into it. I planned on doing it this weekend but I'm still waiting on some things I need for the cache from this site to ship. But when it does come together it will be a fine one indeed.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Proud New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by Team Sand Dollar:

... feel they need to hide a cache before they have done enough to know a good hide from a "I've got to hide a cache" hide.

... will not except comments from experienced cachers and take them as criticism.

There are many more, but I thought this would make an interesting thread.

Of course the way these forums work, only the teams with the least number of finds will anwser.

Team Sand Dollar

WHO ARE YOU, THE GEOCACHING POLICE?

SR and dboggny. my mother in law rides a broom!

quote:
Originally posted by SR & dboggny:

Another comment by another newbe.

Once you get a few hundred finds you might understand this game.

The are no Cache Police just concerned cachers. If we don't self regulate someone will try. Such as the site stewards in AZ that tried to blame geocaching for damaged archelogical site only because they knew a geocaches site was near.

Just wanted to see what others might complete the sentence with. The thread just hasn't gone that way.

Team Sand Dollar

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SR & dboggny:

Another comment by another newbe.

Once you get a few hundred finds you might understand this game.

Team Sand Dollar

newbie. i have been floating around the forums a few more months then you have. as for finds, i might have a hundred, except i was a bit busy for most of 2001. what were you doing say, from mid september to about the end of march? your few hundred finds dont impress me much.

SR and dboggny. my mother in law rides a broom!

Lets see a couple a day for over a year and a half. That's a bunch of double A's, alot of gas,shoe leather, typing.

Consider yourself externaly verified.icon_rolleyes.gifBut hey some of us go for quality over quantity. icon_biggrin.gif

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

[This message was edited by Freelens & Mosie on October 04, 2002 at 06:32 PM.]

Lets see a couple a day for over a year and a half. That's a bunch of double A's, alot of gas,shoe leather, typing.

Consider yourself externaly verified.icon_rolleyes.gifBut hey some of us go for quality over quantity. icon_biggrin.gif

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

[This message was edited by Freelens & Mosie on October 04, 2002 at 06:32 PM.]

I was just starting a thread to see how others would finish the sentence and what where their observation. This was not an attack on anyone just an observation.

As for picking on new cachers, it is just that they tend to obsever caching differently than someone that has done a lot of caching.

After awhile your not worried about being able to find everyone by yourself so if someone with you finds its or is already there it still counts as a find.

You not worried that there is nothing good in the cache because you already have so may dollar store items already you don't know what to do with them all.

And you know the difference between a challenging cache and one that should not have been placed in the first place because it could get someone arrested. I even don't have a problem with one that is in the middle of a bombing range because it is fully explained and also tell you how to get permits for access.

You brought up the thought of Cache Police. I just replied with my philosophy that if we don't self regulate someone will do that for us. My only goal is to make this a better game for all.

As for your comment as to what I was doing from September to March. Just trying to survive these trying times. Was able to hold onto my job un till mid February and then among the ranks of the unemployed until three weeks ago. Maybe my field isn't as important as yours but I learned my limitation in an Explorer Post in Law Enforcement and Knew I was just too high stung for the job.

Team Sand Dollar

quote:

I was just starting a thread to see how others would finish the sentence and what where their observation. This was not an attack on anyone just an observation.

--- SNIP---

Yes it was, it was a direct attack on those you feel are inferior to you because of your numbers.

After 20, hell, 10 finds, one should be getting a pretty good feel for what’s out there, they haven’t seen it all by a long shot but they have put enough under their belt to be able to make an intelligent judgment on which direction they would like the see the hobby go.

You scare me....

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

quote:
Originally posted by Freelens & Mosie:

Lets see a couple a day for over a year and a half. That's a bunch of double A's, alot of gas,shoe leather, typing. ...

Today my wife and I discovered the Port Canaveral Locks, ...

It doesn't rank up there with your 3 visits to the men's on I44 in September.

But hey some of us go for quality over quantity.

I go for both quality and quantity.

Quantity only because I can't get enough of caching. It really doesn't matter where they are I have to try for them all.

As for quality, I've hiked most of the Superstition Mountains and most of the other mountains in Phoenix. I've gone 3/4 miles into a lava tube and hunted in 100 degree temps.

Now I get to find out what it's like to cache in the cold. (Moved to MI).

I'll even be checking out the caches in Melbourne. Worked for Harris for 15 years and my inlaws have a home there.

Also Quantity because I was out of work for 7 months. Had to cache to keep me from going crazy.

Team Sand Dollar

quote:
Originally posted by DirtRunner:

After 20, hell, 10 finds, one should be getting a pretty good feel for what’s out there, they haven’t seen it all by a long shot but they have put enough under their belt to be able to make an intelligent judgment on which direction they would like the see the hobby go.

You scare me....

DirtRunner.

Usually 10 finds is a good place and for some sooner where a person knows what is a good cache. It took me 420 before I hid one but I'm slow.

Most caches are well thought out but some people think they have to hide a cache right away. These tend to be put out in a rush and not maintained when missing or damaged.

Also too continue my rant on newbies .. they complaine about used golf balls but find nothing wrong with live ammo or butane lighters in a cache.

Don't be scared of me, I want this game to continue forever with the least amount of rules, only sugestions.

Team Sand Dollar

quote:

Just wanted to see what others might complete the sentence with. The thread just hasn't gone that way.

Ok, you're way:

Why do teams with the least number of finds ...

Get put down solely because they may have to work for a living instead of geocaching.

Get put down because they cache in moderation because they may not be interested in bragging about their find numbers and have other intrests and resonsibilities in life.

Get put down because they may like spending time at a cache site with their family, taking in the full experience instead of racing through caches just so they can feel superior.

Get labeled as stupid because they don't meet up to a high-number-ranking geocacher's standards.

There's more to geocaching than geocaching. And that wisdom is coming from someone with only 26 finds...

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

You are all taking me to seriously.

I would rather be caching but it's raining. Also my family is back in AZ so I have nothing better to do than see what would result from starting this thread.

This one isn't working so lets see how the new one works.

Why do teams with the most number of finds...

Have fun

Team Sand Dollar

Maybe we should not allow anyone without at least 100 finds to participate in geocaching. God know we don't need inexperienced people calling themselves "geocachers" running about in the woods. They might give the game a bad reputation.

As for the forums, I get some of the best advice from people with a well rounded hobby list. I think I give some good advice too, when I can bring myself to be serious (not too often, sorry to all). In all reality, someone with too many finds might want to reexamine their life. You know, there are other things in the world besides geocaching. If that’s all you have, your focus may be too narrow. Jeremy could get hit by a metro bus tomorrow, and then what will become of you?

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I don't see how you can draw a correlation bewtween the number of finds a person has to the validity of their opinions regarding issues related to geocaching.

Given that find numbers can be easily faked through subversive means they are essentially a moot indicator of geocaching experience.

Stupid opinions abound but so do enlightened ones. Try listening once in a while, no matter the source, you just might learn somthing.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Yeah, I'm a newbie. I have no problem with admitting it. I started last weekend for the first time. (2) finds and roughly 10-15 posts on the forums. I must be exactly the kind of person you are referring to. Whether or not it was your intention, you very much did offend ME! I can only speak for myself and not newbies in general, but it did seem like an attack and extremely arrogant of you. You are harming the sport you apparently love as this thread will leave a sour taste in the mouths of many newbies. I have the most to say as a newbie with the fewest finds BECAUSE I'M A NEWBIE!!! I have a lot of questions (dumb as they may seem to you). Can't you remember when you first started? I think you should leave another post with an apology! With that said, I must defend you a little due to the "self-regulation" comment. That much is true and should be common sense to anyone. I imagine to most people, this is nothing more than a weekend game. A search for $.20 trinkets where the search itself is really the fun. Lighten up!

This angered me so much to read that I'm considering just staying away from the forums. Wait, that would mean you get what you want, and I don't think that's what good for the sport.

My 2 cents for anyone who cares, it's just a game.

quote:
Originally posted by o2jmpr:

This angered me so much to read that I'm considering just staying away from the forums.

o2, welcome to the game, and PLEASE don't shy away from the forums. You seem like a clear-thinking, well-meaning, balanced individual. A few months posting and reading here, and those problems should all be taken care of. icon_razz.gif

Nice post.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

quote:
Originally posted by o2jmpr:

This angered me so much to read that I'm considering just staying away from the forums.

o2, welcome to the game, and PLEASE don't shy away from the forums. You seem like a clear-thinking, well-meaning, balanced individual. A few months posting and reading here, and those problems should all be taken care of. icon_razz.gif

Nice post.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

quote:

[...]I would rather be caching but it's raining. [...]

Have fun

Team Sand Dollar

Call yourself a hardcore non-newbie cacher? Won't even go out in the rain icon_wink.gif

(I love these forums! - PS I've only got 23 finds as I don't have any within a few hundred km radius at present icon_mad.gif)

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

quote:

[...]I would rather be caching but it's raining. [...]

Have fun

Team Sand Dollar

Call yourself a hardcore non-newbie cacher? Won't even go out in the rain icon_wink.gif

(I love these forums! - PS I've only got 23 finds as I don't have any within a few hundred km radius at present icon_mad.gif)

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

A few months posting and reading here, and those problems should all be taken care of. icon_razz.gif

It's done wonders for me!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Stick with it o2jmpr, we could use more like you around...

Always proof-read carefully to see if you any words out.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

A few months posting and reading here, and those problems should all be taken care of. icon_razz.gif

It's done wonders for me!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Stick with it o2jmpr, we could use more like you around...

Always proof-read carefully to see if you any words out.

quote:
Originally posted by Freelens & Mosie:

... I know you are from Arizona but you did mention that you lived in Melbourne for 15 years so rain shouldn't scare you. You won't melt. Hehehehe. Guess you should have noticed that spinning up newbies was not to good of an idea.

Yeh, This is one tough crowd.

This thread was started in fun and not intended to attack any person or group. Think I'll just stick to caching and awsay from these forums.

Just to much stress.

TSD

"Of course the way these forums work, only the teams with the least number of finds will anwser."

I think you were right about that. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Just kidding all. I just want to say that I was not offended at all by your post. After all it was just a post, so what. I've been persoally attacked here in these forums and that didn't bother me too much, I worked through it, had a little help and I think most people here like me now. icon_razz.gif (yeah right) Anyway

TSD I don't think any different of ya and most here probably don't either (I guess that woudld depend on what they thought of ya in the first place) Ok so maybe that doesn't make sense either but thats typical for me. Cache on and Post on. Welcome to Michigan it is my favorite state.

O yeah, Criminal you made this comment: 'As for the forums, I get some of the best advice from people with a well rounded hobby list.'

You were obviously talking about me there right?? icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

I'm done here, bye

______________________________________________________________________________________

"Of course the way these forums work, only the teams with the least number of finds will anwser."

I think you were right about that. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Just kidding all. I just want to say that I was not offended at all by your post. After all it was just a post, so what. I've been persoally attacked here in these forums and that didn't bother me too much, I worked through it, had a little help and I think most people here like me now. icon_razz.gif (yeah right) Anyway

TSD I don't think any different of ya and most here probably don't either (I guess that woudld depend on what they thought of ya in the first place) Ok so maybe that doesn't make sense either but thats typical for me. Cache on and Post on. Welcome to Michigan it is my favorite state.

O yeah, Criminal you made this comment: 'As for the forums, I get some of the best advice from people with a well rounded hobby list.'

You were obviously talking about me there right?? icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

I'm done here, bye

Well, I figure I ought to get my 2 cents in before Jeremy crawls out of bed and locks down this thread too.

quote:

If this wasn't a slam on newbies... why did you add that part in the parenthesis. regardless... they are probably more vocal for several reasons including but not limited to a feeling that they still have things to learn about this hobby... they don't feel like they know everything yet. Also, those who are not able to get out as much may have just as much to contribute as some experienced cachers, and because they want to contribute and/or participate in the hobby, they are willing to share their thoughts here, instead. It keeps them involved. Or, if they aren't the type to want to spend all day in the woods, their counts may be lower and yet the social interaction very important to them. et al

quote:

Interesting note on the growth of this hobby... there was a time when we were begging everybody to get out and place caches... quality wasn't important... there just weren't enough to keep the active cacher busy. People who waited until they had 100's of finds before hiding one were known as geosites... a combimation of geocaching and parasite. This is no longer a consistent problem... some places may need a few more... but some locations have more caches than quality cache sites. As someone who will always be more active at finding than placing caches, I am thankful for those who do get out and place them! Even the lame ones! Even the ones that are a tenth of a mile away from another cache (and in this part of the country, you don't see anything different about two spots that close to each other!). It just makes me appreciate the unique, well thought out caches that much more. That said, I'd also like to throw out a disclaimor... in my mind, newbie and lame cache shouldn't be assumed to equate to each other. There are probably a higher percentage of lame caches that are placed by newbies than experienced cachers, but I think this is more related to the fact that the individuals who don't put the effort into the hobby end out dropping out before they get the high counts... other newbies DO put the thought into it... and eventually become some of the better experienced cachers. We all start(ed) somewhere.

quote:

This is probably more dependent on the individuals personality as well as the way the criticism was offered than it is on how many caches they've found or placed. Regardless of how active someone is, if they are happy with a cache that some would consider lame... telling them what they did wrong... or what they could have done differnt isn't going to matter... and will probably convince them that YOU are the one with the problem! ...Different strokes!

quote:

... Of course the way these forums work, only the teams with the least number of finds will answer.

Well, I'm not BruceS or CCC or TSD but I beg to differ with you here!

+++++++++++++++++++++

Two last notes... 1.) UMC... we don't hate you... just the Wings! icon_wink.gif

2.) Jeremy... you haven't locked this thread yet? Did you oversleep your alarm? icon_biggrin.gif

+++++++++++++++++++++

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

Well, I figure I ought to get my 2 cents in before Jeremy crawls out of bed and locks down this thread too.

quote:

If this wasn't a slam on newbies... why did you add that part in the parenthesis. regardless... they are probably more vocal for several reasons including but not limited to a feeling that they still have things to learn about this hobby... they don't feel like they know everything yet. Also, those who are not able to get out as much may have just as much to contribute as some experienced cachers, and because they want to contribute and/or participate in the hobby, they are willing to share their thoughts here, instead. It keeps them involved. Or, if they aren't the type to want to spend all day in the woods, their counts may be lower and yet the social interaction very important to them. et al

quote:

Interesting note on the growth of this hobby... there was a time when we were begging everybody to get out and place caches... quality wasn't important... there just weren't enough to keep the active cacher busy. People who waited until they had 100's of finds before hiding one were known as geosites... a combimation of geocaching and parasite. This is no longer a consistent problem... some places may need a few more... but some locations have more caches than quality cache sites. As someone who will always be more active at finding than placing caches, I am thankful for those who do get out and place them! Even the lame ones! Even the ones that are a tenth of a mile away from another cache (and in this part of the country, you don't see anything different about two spots that close to each other!). It just makes me appreciate the unique, well thought out caches that much more. That said, I'd also like to throw out a disclaimor... in my mind, newbie and lame cache shouldn't be assumed to equate to each other. There are probably a higher percentage of lame caches that are placed by newbies than experienced cachers, but I think this is more related to the fact that the individuals who don't put the effort into the hobby end out dropping out before they get the high counts... other newbies DO put the thought into it... and eventually become some of the better experienced cachers. We all start(ed) somewhere.

quote:

This is probably more dependent on the individuals personality as well as the way the criticism was offered than it is on how many caches they've found or placed. Regardless of how active someone is, if they are happy with a cache that some would consider lame... telling them what they did wrong... or what they could have done differnt isn't going to matter... and will probably convince them that YOU are the one with the problem! ...Different strokes!

quote:

... Of course the way these forums work, only the teams with the least number of finds will answer.

Well, I'm not BruceS or CCC or TSD but I beg to differ with you here!

+++++++++++++++++++++

Two last notes... 1.) UMC... we don't hate you... just the Wings! icon_wink.gif

2.) Jeremy... you haven't locked this thread yet? Did you oversleep your alarm? icon_biggrin.gif

+++++++++++++++++++++

I read these forums every day.

I think keeping track of all the statistics detracts from the quality of the forum. It takes forever to weed through the stat discussion threads to find enjoyabe and/or informative posts. I'd like to read more about the fun people have hunting and hiding their caches rather than trying to figure out if I'm still a newbie or not. Maybe a straight answer to "How many feet in a thousandth of a minute?" or "Where can I get a plug n play antenna for my e-trex?" Sometimes these newbie slam posts make me feel bad that I can't devote every waking moment to the sport, but then, what kind of life would that be?

I found a complete unbroken sand dollar on the beach, just a few feet from our first ( so far only ) cache hide. That was cool.

quote:
Originally posted by Kfam:

Maybe a straight answer to "How many feet in a thousandth of a minute?"

It depends on where, on the planet you are located, and whether you are talking latitude or longitude at that location... but (I believe) it is approximately 6 feet.

quote:

Sometimes these newbie slam posts make me feel bad that I can't devote every waking moment to the sport, but then, what kind of life would that be?

Now who's knocking whom? icon_wink.gif

What kind of life would it be? Only the best! That's what kind! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Walkin Stick on October 06, 2002 at 07:54 AM.]

quote:

Maybe a straight answer to "How many feet in a thousandth of a minute?"

It depends on where, on the planet you are located, and whether you are talking latitude or longitude at that location... but (I believe) it is approximately 6 feet.

quote:

Sometimes these newbie slam posts make me feel bad that I can't devote every waking moment to the sport, but then, what kind of life would that be?

Now who's knocking whom? icon_wink.gif

What kind of life would it be? Only the best! That's what kind! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Walkin Stick on October 06, 2002 at 07:54 AM.]

Been around here for awhile and post to forums and have a low find count.

In today's world I seem to run out of time, but I still try and get out to hunt.

I may not have time to hunt but I have been out checking all the caches that I have placed on a regular bases. Oh I forgot to mention the caches I have placed I have a few and posted the others in my wifes and kids accounts so we can all enjoy Goecaching.

I just want all to remeber we were all new and needed advice before, I may not have asked alot of question but reading the forums I was able to find the answers to my questions.

All I want to say is we should all lighten up and be happy with what we have. And use this hobby as away to find and explore new areas around us. Remember finding the cache is not as important as getting ready, the hike, the view and being out with my kids and enjoying nature.

I have to run I am taking a Scout Troop out and introducing them to Geocaching this morning.

icon_biggrin.gif

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm

Been around here for awhile and post to forums and have a low find count.

In today's world I seem to run out of time, but I still try and get out to hunt.

I may not have time to hunt but I have been out checking all the caches that I have placed on a regular bases. Oh I forgot to mention the caches I have placed I have a few and posted the others in my wifes and kids accounts so we can all enjoy Goecaching.

I just want all to remeber we were all new and needed advice before, I may not have asked alot of question but reading the forums I was able to find the answers to my questions.

All I want to say is we should all lighten up and be happy with what we have. And use this hobby as away to find and explore new areas around us. Remember finding the cache is not as important as getting ready, the hike, the view and being out with my kids and enjoying nature.

I have to run I am taking a Scout Troop out and introducing them to Geocaching this morning.

icon_biggrin.gif

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm

I'm sure Jeremy has back up! LOL

Originally posted by Criminal

quote:
In all reality, someone with too many finds might want to reexamine their life. You know, there are other things in the world besides geocaching. If that’s all you have, your focus may be too narrow. Jeremy could get hit by a metro bus tomorrow, and then what will become of you?

If someone wants to spend their life geocaching, there are other geocaching websites that offer the same services this one does icon_biggrin.gif

Though the forums aren't as active as this site, you can still gain a lot of useful information.

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

psign.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

I'm sure Jeremy has back up! LOL

Originally posted by Criminal

quote:
In all reality, someone with too many finds might want to reexamine their life. You know, there are other things in the world besides geocaching. If that’s all you have, your focus may be too narrow. Jeremy could get hit by a metro bus tomorrow, and then what will become of you?

If someone wants to spend their life geocaching, there are other geocaching websites that offer the same services this one does icon_biggrin.gif

Though the forums aren't as active as this site, you can still gain a lot of useful information.

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

psign.gif

there are other sites but you will be doing a lot more driving if you use 'their' services. Closes cache from my home on 'their' site is 100miles away. From this site I think its like a half a mile.

quote:
there are other sites but you will be doing a lot more driving if you use 'their' services. Closes cache from my home on 'their' site is 100miles away. From this site I think its like a half a mile.

It is a nice back up for those that list their caches on both sites. We do, just for this reason. Some people just use one site, and others use both. Maybe there would be more on the other if everyone listed their cache there as well. Then you won't have to drive so far, as you say. I don't think you have to drive anywhere to USE the site, though. You can chat, instant message, and obtain alot of useful information on the forums right from your living room. icon_cool.gif

So if either site ever went down, you will always have a place to list your cache. icon_eek.gif

Duane

icon_smile.gif

Smiling.gif