Looking for Geocaching Stories...

Guest jeremy

Guest jeremy

If you have any interesting geocaching stories you'd like to share here, please do. I know there have been similar requests in the past but I'm looking for folks who have seen interesting logs or had their own mini adventure.

I'll have to track them down, but Moun10bike helped catch a poacher once, someone found a box of cremated remains on a mountain when in search for a cache, another person came face to face with a cougar, and someone proposed at a cache site. Any others?

Thanks in Advance! You're also welcome to email me directly at jeremy at geocaching dot com.

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 28 August 2001).]

Guest EraSeek

This is from point of interest cache.

August 26 by EraSeek (60 found)

What a wonderfull thing we came across on this one!! The first waypoints I already knew well, and they were a bit too crowded on a hot summer Sunday, any other time they are super spots. But the real story is the last part. I didn't know this was here, and WHAT A GREAT SPOT. But it gets better... We went down to the beach and there was a youthful fellow and two lovely maidens floating in the sound in innertubes... but it gets better.. and playing with this trio was a sea otter. I mean really playing with them! They had seen it the day before and came back to take pictures of it, and now it was tickleing their toes and crawling up on their laps, and even goosing them and exploring them from below. The people would let out yelps and wonder what it was doing now. It was the friendliest, most playful wild critter I've ever seen. Simply amazing! Also I loved the final cache spot. My kind of place. Thanks!

Jeremy,

I was the one who "interrupted" the couple getting busy in the bushes. I posted in this forum called "Date ruined by Geocacher?" a couple weeks ago. It was from the cache "Low-Medium-High" (GC12E3) in Oregon. I actually cut out 1/2 of the story that included how I frightened some stoners on my way to the site.

As a bonus, I also saw that sea otter that EraSeek saw last week as I was checking my cache. Cute little critter.

[This message has been edited by Soup (edited 28 August 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Soup (edited 28 August 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

I left a rainbow-colored plastic slinky in a cache ten days ago. It had been sitting in its box on my mantle for years (something like 3-5+ or so), and since I hadn't reloaded my cache stuff box, I figured I'd let someone enjoy it.

Well, it wasn't long after I left the cache that I noticed that something was missing. My slinky was gone. I had deserted it and left it alone in the middle of nowhere! I felt so ashamed. I was a bad slinky owner.

Two very long days later the unthinkable happened -- my slinky got picked up! It was now in the hands of someone who could not possibly have the attachment to it that I had discovered I did indeed have. It was terrible! I had deserted my slinky in its hour of need, and now it was gone.

Words can hardly express how sad it was to know that my slinky was gone forever. In its place was nothing but an empty box on the mantle gaping at me as if to condemn me for my opportunistic dismembering of its perfect harmony... but the story didn't end there.

Yet another two terrible days later, my e-mail chirped up with a note telling me about a log on one of my watched caches. Someone had been to Wilson. I was reading the log entry, when out of nowhere I read, "left the slinky from the Spillway RR cache"! It was wonderful! I could go rescue my slinky! But wait! It was Monday, and there's no way I could get to Wilson before Saturday!

The days ticked by... the hours ticked by... the minutes ticked by... the miles rolled by... the trail slurped by (it was very, very muddy, and raining, too)... the spider webs got whacked by (by me, that is; they apparently didn't get the memo about staying out of the right of way)... Finally, amid the drizzling rain, squishing mud, revolting spiders, and unexpectedly good reception from my MAP 330, I found and opened the cache.

My slinky was there!

With a sigh of relief (like the kind when you sit down on the couch after a long trip and finally just relax), I reached in and gently removed my slinky. The prodigal owner had made it right. I signed the log book and put in a nice toy plane, and after replacing the cache, I hiked back to my car with my slinky safely fastened under my poncho (and the trail noticeably free off impeding spiders).

I'm now sitting at my computer, and on the mantle, over my right shoulder, is my slinky, safe back in its box -- and with a mini rainbow-colored plastic slinky inside to keep it company.

And we'll all live happily ever after.

-- THE END --

Guest EraSeek
Originally posted by yrium:

I have kind of a unique cache I call the BREEDER cache.

A great idea! I'd been thinking of a way to make a cache divide, like cells dividing, but hadn't really came up with a concrete plan yet. I may use your idea.

Guest leskowitz

quote:

I have kind of a unique cache I call the BREEDER cache.

I love the idea. I built a cache tonight named Cache-in-the-box after your concept. I put a minicache in it with a magnet attached. I am going to find a hiding place now. later

Paul Ag '94

quote:

I have kind of a unique cache I call the BREEDER cache. Inside of it there is a smaller cache container that is all ready to be placed in a new spot. The Idea being to encourage people, that hadn't got around to it, to hide a cache.

Now that is a fantastic idea.....