Best Geocache

FISUR

quote:
Originally posted by FISUR:

If you had to pick one (and only one) geocache as the best in your state, which one would it be? Team FISUR

While I haven't tried all 1079 geocaches in Texas yet, my favorite cache to date is the McKinney Roughs Tough Challenge by threelanes, ID=10544.

It's close to a major city (Austin) yet for most of the five or six miles of this multi-cache hunt you are in the woods, crunching thru the pine needles, and out of ear-shot of any traffic noise. It is a very peaceful and stress-reducing couple of hours away from the hustle and bustle of life in Austin.

Happy Trails,

Lou

quote:

welch: Haven't found enough? How about the best so far? Whidbey Walk: Found too many to choose one as best? Think hard, there has to be that one that was especially dear to your heart. Step up to the plate. icon_wink.gif Team FISUR

Ok, I’ll step up.

Best, humm….. Only one…… icon_rolleyes.gif

It would have to be Excel…. No wait it is defiantly Let Us…..ARGUHH!!! icon_confused.gif

I just can’t do it. Sorry icon_biggrin.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

quote:

welch: Haven't found enough? How about the best so far? Whidbey Walk: Found too many to choose one as best? Think hard, there has to be that one that was especially dear to your heart. Step up to the plate. icon_wink.gif Team FISUR

Ok, I’ll step up.

Best, humm….. Only one…… icon_rolleyes.gif

It would have to be Excel…. No wait it is defiantly Let Us…..ARGUHH!!! icon_confused.gif

I just can’t do it. Sorry icon_biggrin.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

My favorite to date is BOLP III, but that's a purely subjective opinion (are there such things as objective opinions?).

The reason I liked this one is due to a serious operator error I made while hunting this. Unfortunately, the log for my no-find got deleted icon_frown.gif but neither me nor the cache owner deleted the logs. In short, I got myself into a dandy (and dangerous) situation where I seriously began to question my survival... now, mind you, if you have a level head (which implies that I did not), you won't get yourself into that situation, but I plunged WFO on this one, no regards.

----------

I will prepare food with my iron fist!

Then I will work my way up to ruling you all with my fist!

My favorite to date is BOLP III, but that's a purely subjective opinion (are there such things as objective opinions?).

The reason I liked this one is due to a serious operator error I made while hunting this. Unfortunately, the log for my no-find got deleted icon_frown.gif but neither me nor the cache owner deleted the logs. In short, I got myself into a dandy (and dangerous) situation where I seriously began to question my survival... now, mind you, if you have a level head (which implies that I did not), you won't get yourself into that situation, but I plunged WFO on this one, no regards.

----------

I will prepare food with my iron fist!

Then I will work my way up to ruling you all with my fist!

Having the most finds in the state of Mississippi, icon_cool.gif, I feel confident in suggesting a few of my favorites:

Secret Agent Man gets the award for most well thought out... I think. I have a no-find on it, but it seems exquisitely well planned.

Legion of caches is almost Secret-Agent-Mannish in it's detail. A fine multi-cache.

Desoto Falls includes a good hike, and a great sight once you get to the cache. Not to mention the great cache container stocked with great stuff.

Windsor Ruins is my favorite for location. The site is incredible.

Waterfall 3, like Desoto Falls is centered around waterfalls. This cache requires a long hike on steep terrain, but the scenery is well worth it. I took many photos here.

So.. it's hard to pin down a favorite, but those are my favorites in the state of Mississippi.

Jamie

Having the most finds in the state of Mississippi, icon_cool.gif, I feel confident in suggesting a few of my favorites:

Secret Agent Man gets the award for most well thought out... I think. I have a no-find on it, but it seems exquisitely well planned.

Legion of caches is almost Secret-Agent-Mannish in it's detail. A fine multi-cache.

Desoto Falls includes a good hike, and a great sight once you get to the cache. Not to mention the great cache container stocked with great stuff.

Windsor Ruins is my favorite for location. The site is incredible.

Waterfall 3, like Desoto Falls is centered around waterfalls. This cache requires a long hike on steep terrain, but the scenery is well worth it. I took many photos here.

So.. it's hard to pin down a favorite, but those are my favorites in the state of Mississippi.

Jamie

I agree with Markwell... it is far easier to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, and make separate awards for best virtual, best micro, best long hike, best multicache, etc.

I would also like to say that the best geocache is always the next one I am going to do, because it gets me out of the house and into the outdoors, enjoying myself.

I also know that I have not yet attempted some of the best caches in Western PA, including MikeChim's caches in the Erie area and Quest Master's in the Laurel Highlands / Greensburg / Fayette County area.

But out of the 90 or so caches that I HAVE visited, if I had to choose one as requested by the creator of this thread, it would be Slippery Rock Creek by my buddy Puppyman. I chose this for my 50th find. It is rated 4 for terrain, and well-deserved, it is one heckuva hike on a trail filled with rocks and roots and steep elevation changes. The scenery is spectacular, especially along the creek bed.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I keep missing my ex-wife. But my aim is getting better.

I don't have a single favorite. Two of the best however were: Stone Living Room (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4866)

and Phantasmorgia (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=35775)

Also, the Skully and Mulder team, who posted just above, placed several caches that I must include in my top 10.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

does the cache have to be active? can it have been changed, relocated, or archived? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

welch: Haven't found enough? How about the best so far? Whidbey Walk: Found too many to choose one as best? Think hard, there has to be that one that was especially dear to your heart. icon_wink.gif Team FISUR

whack.gif

does the cache have to be active? can it have been changed, relocated, or archived? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

welch: Haven't found enough? How about the best so far? Whidbey Walk: Found too many to choose one as best? Think hard, there has to be that one that was especially dear to your heart. icon_wink.gif Team FISUR

whack.gif

quote:

whack.gif

For Cache Container the award goes to:

Cousin Tommy's Saugatuck Stumper

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=31521

For Fear Factor (crossing over an Interstate on a metal grate bridge, it's a heights thing):

Paint Bed Road

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8171

For the views (and because I can't count the one I placed called "Some Gave All") the award goes to:

The View From MT Race

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8629

For Mother Nature at her best:

Sessions Cache

(a fine exhibit of beaver technology)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=11466

And for being my first:

Putnam Stash

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=1682

So far anyway....... they were all good.

Cache you later,

Planet

We've only done 50, but in various locations.

Here are Jif's favorites... Fy's will come later...

The fact that there are so many wonderful caches in just our first 50 is a tribute to the great skill of the Geocache hiders!

My all around favorite (especially because I am an absolute 100% card carrying Tolkien nut):

Fellowship of the Ring

Our first cache, special because it got us hooked:

Fly in SJC

My favorite cache for local history:

West Side Story

Favorite for the experience of finding the cache, saying more would be giving it away (tied):

Ex Libris: A LooneyTunes Puzzle Cache

Stumped?

Best puzzle cache:

Cipher Sites

Best one to use to introduce friends and family to Geocaching (unfortunately, now gone!):

A Fair Affair

Best natural setting (at the right time of year):

Fortress Petra Cache

[This message was edited by TeamJiffy on September 22, 2002 at 11:29 AM.]

I only have 30-something finds... but my favorites so far come down to two...

Captain Jacks Trading Post

I liked this one cause it was fairly difficult... 1000' vertical from parking and it was full of great stuff to look at... It gave me a full view of the city as well... One of the many times I wished I had brought my bike...

American Veteran's Cache

This one was sickly easy but it had awesome stories to tell... It was full of Veteran memorabilia... Old patches, pins, stories, etc... I spent more time at this one than any other cache ever... If I was going to place a themed cache, I would hope it was as well thought out as this one...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

Dekanar,

I disagree with your argument. Go read my logs for the caches I listed as my favorite. It will be clearly obvious (is that redundant) how much I enjoyed those caches. I feel my stories about my experience are far more valuable that if I were to have given those caches simple a high rating. On caches I don't really care for... you can tell. The ratings are in the logs.

Anyway, take this discussion to the thread where we were discussing this.

Jamie

quote:

welch, the cache can be in any status. Any. icon_razz.gif

ok then, i think my answer is skywatcher gorge, it was placed a good distance into the "boonies" and had a small cliff and a little cascading water(waterfall) and a creek all within about 100ft of the cache. but since then the cache has been moved to a new location, i really should go find it again icon_smile.gifhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8370

close runner ups would be

matsell trek, had to go over four miles to find this cache icon_biggrin.gifhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14780

and Falls of the Ohio, Great View! wish i could have spent more time there.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=1374

whack.gif

quote:

welch, the cache can be in any status. Any. icon_razz.gif

ok then, i think my answer is skywatcher gorge, it was placed a good distance into the "boonies" and had a small cliff and a little cascading water(waterfall) and a creek all within about 100ft of the cache. but since then the cache has been moved to a new location, i really should go find it again icon_smile.gifhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8370

close runner ups would be

matsell trek, had to go over four miles to find this cache icon_biggrin.gifhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14780

and Falls of the Ohio, Great View! wish i could have spent more time there.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=1374

whack.gif

The St Kilda Cache in Scotland is amazing. St Kilda is an island about 50 miles out from the outer hebrides and in the north atlantic. It as a small island with 1000foot cliffs and looks mental, it is also known as " The island at the end of the world". It took an hour to get there by boat and was a very dangerous journey, it was so exciting!

The St Kilda Cache in Scotland is amazing. St Kilda is an island about 50 miles out from the outer hebrides and in the north atlantic. It as a small island with 1000foot cliffs and looks mental, it is also known as " The island at the end of the world". It took an hour to get there by boat and was a very dangerous journey, it was so exciting!

Well, I couldn't find any in your stats, so you must have to log it still. So I looked on the maps, and I see two micros on this Island; one on the side of an abandoned building, and the other one (which hasn't been found yet) may actually be a guardrail cache?!?!?!?!?! (Hint say's it's on the "road barrier"). No offense, this Island sounds awesome, but a couple of micros? :huh:

Cheops V

A place visit after a long life dream. The pyramids are greater than you can imagine.

Now that's more like it, awesome. :)

Again, no offense CelticCache, you must have had an great trip to the Island, and enjoyed it very much to bump an old thread like this.

EDIT: P.S. I forgot all about EmilyMelonHead. I'm glad she didn't get caught up in the whole "should kids be allowed to post"? Thing. B)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I have so many geocaches that I can say would be my favorite. It is too hard to choose. There is a local one that is in a park, and requires climbing gear, to get 60ft up the tree to claim the find. But I prefer the caches that have a lot of effort put into hiding them. The creativity of cachers out there, is amazing. I listen to a weekly podcast called the Podcacher podcast, and very frequently they talk about some very creative hides, and I have gotten quite a few good ideas off listening to the show, to incorporate into my own hides. So if you ever want to listen to some good ideas, give it a shot, and you never know what you will be able to take from it, and use in your caching.