How did you serve?

quote:
No, no, no! Never let them know you can type!!!!
If you're a 31C, they already know. icon_cool.gif

U.S. Army, 1970-1982. Signal Corps, Aviator, 82d Airborne, 101st Airborne, various air traffic control and signal units. Quit because flying a stationary desk got too hard. Been flying full-time since, haven't missed it a minute.

Regards,

Stan

I looked at typing a bit differently. It got me out of all kinds of nonsense in Texas during the heat. Ended up in the 8th Evac Hospital, Landstuhl, Germany (which has unfortunately been in the news lately). 18 months in Germany between 1964 and 1966 was GOOD duty. I enjoyed my 'green' tour of Europe and probably would have been a career man if that little incident in Vietnam hadn't cropped up at the wrong time. My duty, however easy, has given me a real appreciation for the men and women risking it all so that we can rest easier at night. God bless them!

Just wanted to say my family was never much of a military family. My great uncle flew recon in WW2 and I'm very proud of that. I grew up sort of with the impression that the military was an option if you didn't go off to some universiity after high school. While I'm in college at the moment myself my kids will always know the armed forces is an excellent after high school choice if not more beneficial than some 4 year think tank, and I hope they grow up with that understanding moreso than I had. I'm also honored to say I particpate in the company of such dedicated US citizens. Thank you to everyone who has served past, present, and future

Just wanted to say my family was never much of a military family. My great uncle flew recon in WW2 and I'm very proud of that. I grew up sort of with the impression that the military was an option if you didn't go off to some universiity after high school. While I'm in college at the moment myself my kids will always know the armed forces is an excellent after high school choice if not more beneficial than some 4 year think tank, and I hope they grow up with that understanding moreso than I had. I'm also honored to say I particpate in the company of such dedicated US citizens. Thank you to everyone who has served past, present, and future

Thanks for that Pnew, there were a lot of people in certain generations who thought much less of military service and that does seem to be changing just a bit of late. On the other hand, there are families like mine where military service is looked upon a little differently.

We have had members of our family in some branch of the military all the way back to the earliest records found of our particular family line. Usually the oldest son at least, sometimes more, in each generation.

For instance, my father (oldest son) served and retired from active duty with 24 years of service. I (oldest son) served on active duty and eventually retired from the reserves with nearly 28 years of service. My sister served a tour in the Navy and my brother served a tour in the Army. My oldest son is on his second tour in the Navy and my second oldest is currently on his first tour in the Navy.

This is a continuation of military service we have traced at least all the way back to the Alamo, and it would probably go even further if we knew more about Robert McKinney's past history in Ireland before he came to America, then Texas, and got into that scrap with the Mexican Army. (There have been a boatload of police and sheriffs in our family line as well....).

Most, if not everyone of us, have either gotten our college while serving in the military or after our service was complete. I can speak for myself when I say there was never any question of whether I was going to join up, just which service was I going to go into. It was never "expected" by anyone, and no pressure was placed on me or any of us to join up, we just did it. I do not "expect" my other kids to join, but I certainly do hope they will feel some obligation to pay something back to this country for the freedoms we enjoy and are given for nothing upon birth. Those freedoms HAVE been paid for, and are continueing to be paid for, by a small few individuals who put their lives on the line to protect and extend freedom.

It's not too late. You are currently in college, correct? You are not too old to serve...lol. :P:D:D

ARMY Grunt from 84-88

1st cav Fort Hood Tx

:):):)

We shared some Fort Hood dirt at the same time soldier! Your years there were when I was serving as an enlisted member of 4th Tank BN, 2nd Brigade, 49th Armor. Spent many a weekend and summer tour at Hood. Did the normal tank crewman thing as a Gunner, then Tank Commander for a few years. Was a tank crew evaluator on Trapnell Multi-use the summer of 87, then went off to OCS later that summer. Came back after that as Tank Platoon Leader, Support Platoon Leader, Assistant BN S-2 (BIC), and finally XO of Charlie Company, 1st Tank BN.

Then I moved to Houston and started doing staff work mostly till I retired. But I will never forget "Little Israel". LOL.

:);):D

Currently a Petty Officer, 2nd Class in the US Navy Reserve.

I'm an Information Systems Technician, but I'm considering cross-rating into Crypto, just so when people ask me what I do, I can say "Sorry, that's classified."

My dad was in the Navy in WWII, I think HIS dad was in the Navy in WWI, and I actually wanted to join the Air Force, but they wanted to make me a sheet metal worker...go figure.

IT2 ApK

Joined USMC Delayed Entry program in 1986. 11 months later, Aug 1987, I was off to boot camp. 1990 I re-enlisted while stationed at Camp Pendelton CA. I was very lucky in that I had 3 MOS's in my time and I was stationed anywhere from Japan to Florida. Including a 3 year tour in Hawaii where I met my wife. Okinawa, Korea, Philipeans. Best time of my career was HMM-265.

1994 came and our president of that time was working on military cutbacks. I recieved my involuntary seperation papers and a check that was better laughed at then spent. Since then I have enjoyed myself, but I do miss flying around as observer in a CH-46.

WWII Junior Deck Officer on USS Poseidon, ARL 12 in Pacific. Started out flying open cockpit Steermans. Been there done that. Dick, W7WT

Boy, I'll say!! It's great to have those who served in the greatest conflict ever post their service. Welcome and God bless.

I just realiezed I need a saluting smilie....lol. I'd use it right now, that's for sure.

:ph34r:

USAF 1981-87, Airborne Cryptologic Linguist (Russian).

Training for flight-crew status included about a day of map-and-compass training in survival school. Enjoyed it and never forgot it. Got to play the part of a 'downed airman' in a search-and-rescue exercise in the Mojave Desert once. Fun--like being a Geocache that's trying to be found.

Oh, and met my wife and co-cacher in the service. She was a Morse code intercept operator training to be an intelligence analyst when our paths crossed. Haven't uncrossed since. Everyone, say awwwwwwww :ph34r:

Air Force & Government Brat here! They moved Dad & us all over and we always had fun exploring the new areas. My generation is the first in our family to not have a member in the armed forces.

Almost went Air force but the recruiter scared the heck out of me when he started calling every day to find out if I was gonna join up. When he tracked me down at my HS and tried to convince me again my stubbornness set in and I told him to go to hell. The man called my parents once a month for 3 years after I moved out to ask about me. He was totally weird.

Ended up getting my degree in Geography (like Dad) and I use it every day. Tried to get him into Geocaching but he just doesn't have the time right now.

I have to thank everyone who ever served for everything they did to make the world a better place.

One of the places we lived was Hickam AFB, Hawaii and as yesterday was 62 years for Pearl Harbor, I had to finally write something in this thread. Spent 3 years seeing the Arizona Memorial nearly every day and it still brings tears to my eyes.

-Jennifer

Tried to join in '83, but couldn't pass the physical. My dad was National Guard and Army Reserve in mid to late '60s, and was disappointed that he couldn't go to Viet Nam (even to his dying days in March of this year he was disappointed). My son is currently in the Navy aboard the sub West Virginia, stationed in King's Bay, GA. My great uncle was a pilot in WWII, highly decorated for "flying the hump" and evacuating hundreds of civilians and soldiers. (Sorry, but my memory fails me as to where this actually occurred.) I have nothing but respect for our armed services, and keep all of them in my daily prayers!

US Army Reserve. After 6 years of one weekend a month and two weeks a year, I was activated in January of 2003. I am attached to the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment (BRAVE RIFLES!) in Iraq. I am a Staff Sergeant in the JAG Corps. I love land nav and have taken it upon myself to learn everything about land navigation, terrain association, map reading, and terrain assessment. Maybe I should have been a scout. This is how I came across Geocaching.

Catherman

Yo Breaktrack!

Gave Uncle Sam 5 years in the USAF as a computer programmer. Back then (1964 to 1969) we were still wiring panels for Accounting machines, Sorters and Collators, but switched to a true main frame Burroughs with a grand total memory of 4K!

Anyway, thanks for posting the poll - didn't think anyone cared about being in 'the service' any more. I believe in it one hundred per cent, for mind, body and soul, not to mention the service to this wonderful country of ours. :mad:

God Bless America

Orion47

Yo Breaktrack!

Gave Uncle Sam 5 years in the USAF as a computer programmer. Back then (1964 to 1969) we were still wiring panels for Accounting machines, Sorters and Collators, but switched to a true main frame Burroughs with a grand total memory of 4K!

Anyway, thanks for posting the poll - didn't think anyone cared about being in 'the service' any more. I believe in it one hundred per cent, for mind, body and soul, not to mention the service to this wonderful country of ours. :D

God Bless America

Orion47

Yup, in the past it was very hard to imagine the popularity our military would enjoy as it does presently. I first came in right after Viet Nam had ended and military service was NOT looked upon as anything but good enough for robots and scoundrels. Gerald Ford was President and he was immediately followed by Jimmy Carter, so military service got NO boost at that point...lol.

Ronald Reagan changed the face of military service and made it something to be proud of again, then George Bush the senior put us back on the map with the first Gulf War. But even that is nothing compared to the present outpouring of feelings toward our brave service men and women. I am so proud of them my buttons would pop off if I was wearing anything but t-shirts all the time...lol. My own two boys being in the Navy right now might have a little bit to do with my pride, but also knowing so many of the individuals presently serving, having served with them as little as 18 months ago, has a lot to do with it as well.

I just heard today that Time magazine has named the American Soldier the "Person Of The Year". I am all in favor of that, even if it is a leftist pinko magazine... at least they got one thing right...LOL.

:):D:P

Just wanted to drop a short note to pay homage to the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station, Cieba, Puerto Rico. This base has a long and illustrious history of service, and also of being closed, and opened, and closed, and opened back up again...lol.

I served at this base from April 1977 to January 1980 and enjoyed it a great deal. It was a great experience and I still think back fondly to those times.

As most know the people of Puerto Rico have been trying to close the Vieques Island training base just east of the main island of Puerto Rico for decades. They finally succeeded after the only fatality to ever occur at the training area took place a couple of years ago. The people of Puerto Rico had scheduled a referendum on it's closure and the appeasers were all for it. When President Bush took over he just ordered the training area closed and the referendum became moot.

Well, in the classic example of "Be careful what you ask for, you might get it," since Vieques was no longer there for the Navy's use, then there was also no use for Roosevelt Roads as it was there to support TRAINING!!! So the congress ordered the base closed to great crying and gnashing of teeth by the Puerto Rican people, the same ones who DEMANDED Vieques be closed.... oh well, someone famous once said you can't have your cake and eat it too......

So, to the many fine Americans who have served and/or trained at the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station, to those who were killed or injured there during their training or service, and to all those who remember the post with pride, my hats off to you. The base is scheduled to close as of 1 March, 2004.

Fair winds, and following seas................. Roosevelt Roads Naval Station, departing......................

:):D:P:):D

I flew for the Navy for 20 years from Dec. '66 to Dec. '86, all carrier aircraft. I loved the flying, and I hated the family separation, but I wouldn't trade the experiences for anything.

Thus the paradox of military service. It's great to serve, but boy, hard on family life sometimes....lol.

Mac McKinney aka Breaktrack

:P:D:ph34r::ph34r::P

I (Gizmo) was Navy active duty 1979 - 1983. For me, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I was stationed in Atsugi, Japan. Got to go TAD to Okinawa and the Philippines. All places I would probably never have seen if not for the military. But now my daughter is the age I was, when I went in. And as much as it was a good thing for me, I am glad she has no interest in joining. I would be so worried if she were to enlist. I now understand now how hard it must have been for my parents to stand behind my decision for their only daughter to join the Navy. Then there's my son...almost 18 and wants to go into law enforcement! What's a mom to do!!! :ph34r:

US ARMY 1962-1965

Basic at FT.Knox

FT. Gorden-40 sig BN.

34 th. SIG. BN. Stutgart.germany

as a FIELD RADIO REPAIR on HF. rigs

AN/GRC-26D

Great time learned how to drink German beer.

took a long time to get to like American beer when i came home.

Learned A lot About being A man and repairing radios.

USAF 1992-1999.

AMMO Troop (played with the things that go BOOM in the night :ph34r: ) IYAAYAS

Providing the enemy an opportunity to die for their country :P .

Spent time in NM, Germany (closed a few bases) and SD. Would be doing twenty+ if it was up to me. Did the Desert Thunder (AKA Desert Fox) thing :ph34r: . Grandfather was WWl vet (Cav-horse), Dad was WWll vet (Army Aircorps then USAF RET) in the Pacific, one brother in Army, another brother in the Navy and another brother in both Army, then Navy. We are the fortunate ones.

Vietnam Veteran. Served as a helicopter pilot based at Marble Mt. Denang. 71-72.

My unit was the Robinhoods, 1st Av/223rd Combt Avn Bn. The Warrant Officers to the left and the right of me in my WOC picture were KIA. I thank the Lord for my safety and miss my friends who made the ultimate sacrifice for their Country.

Thank you and my hat is off to all of those who have served. My father was in the airforce for 8 years stationed in Udon Thailand where he met my mother a Thai native. I was born in an air force base hospital. My dad brought me and my mother back to the states when I was a year old. He got out of the AF when I was about 6 then spent 15 years in the National guard. Because they were not married when I was born I was a Thai citizen until I was 16. I never did serve but I did get quite a shock when I turned 18 and recieved a letter from the Thai goverment that It was time for me to serve my mandatory year in the Thai army. It stated that if I did not come voluntarily they would come get me! :rolleyes: It took a few phone calls to the Thai embassy in NYC to get that cleared up. That would have been a hoot especially since the only Thai words that I know are swear words! :lol:

:lol: 87 - 95 US Army Aviation Branch...

68G Sheetmetal Guy (86 - 91) in I Co, 8th Id Mainz-Finthen Germany

& 68G20 (92 - 93) Delta Co. 326 Medivac, Ft Campbell, KY.

68B20 Turbine Surgeon (93-95) K co 159 Hunter Army Airfield , Savannah GA.

:rolleyes: Did some combat time in Somalia as a 68B and don't miss the heat, scorpions, spiders, MORTARS, COMMAND DETONATED LAND MINES, RPG ROUNDS, or the Skinnies. After that I decided this was not the life for me. I wanted to see my children grow up. I lost 18 months of my daughters life I could never get back, but I guess that's the price I paid to keep her safe.

Edited by Hogarth

1980 thru 1982 us army

81-b-2p airborne draftsman

27th engineers combat-airborne

based out of Fort Bragg N.C. I designed air strips and help build with and for the 82nd airborne. From samalia to central america.

now a disabled american vet. suprising how hard jumping out of airplanes are on your knees

Edited by 4x4luv
I just wanted to say:

KUDOS to the Commander-In-Chief for visiting the troops on Thanksgiving. Those of us who have been there understand just what a great thing that was.

:P  ;)  :P

No offense intended to you or any of our fellow military members, as I am one, but I didn't think it was great and I am in Baghdad right now. I don't give him much kudos as I think it was just a political statement because his reelection is coming up. Granted we got Saddam, Bush made a bad move based on faulty intelligence and jumped ship from the UN and went on his own. Where are the WMDs? All our brothers/sisters-in-arms dying for nothing. Iraq is in no way a threat to the US, maybe Iraq's neighbors, but not us. Don't get me wrong, I am proud to wear the uniform, and how I expressed my opinion is one of the reasons we wear the uniform, freedom of expression.

Edited by Alpinehoy

Active duty USN 1977/1981 - Patrol Squadron 50, NAS Moffett Field, CA

USNR 1981/1984 - Attack Sqadron 205, NAS Atlanta, GA

USNR(TAR) 1984/1992 - Patrol Squadron 64, NAS Willow Grove, PA

Strike Fighter Squadron 203, NAS Cecil Field, FL

USNR 1992/2001 - Strike Fighter Squadron 106, NAS Cecil Field, FL

HS-75, NAS Jacksonville, FL

Didn't get to go all over the world, just 90% of it. (Somehow missed the south pole).

J.D.

Doctors Inlet, FL