How did you serve?

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

"...no matter whether you intent is to politicize a thread, it's been done from inception..."

Actually, no. Up until you made your post, folks were simply having a friendly time sharing the old photos they carry tucked away in their wallets; as someone already said, a harmless exercise in 'getting to know each other' (just as we would if we were mingling at a GeoCaching picnic). There's been no breast-beating or divisive intent by those who've responded in this thread ...indeed, from what I've seen here, quite the opposite is true.

Why do I get the feeling that if this thread had been started by asking how many GeoCachers also happened to be fire fighters, airline pilots, or even snowplow drivers (all of whom could also claim to share a level of walk-the-walk 'understanding' common to those in their profession), you wouldn't have raised an eyebrow? Is there something about those who serve/have served in the military that you're personally uncomfortable with - regardless of where you might encounter them? They're just a group of people (many of whom are your neighbors and - it would appear - also happen to GeoCache) who, among other things, once shared the same <cough!>'tailor'<cough!> ...certainly nothing to be intimidated by.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

quote:
this isn't even about US citizens; this is a world wide sport.

As to this, I dont believe I have read ANYTHING in this thread specifying it was for US military only (including the thread title).

I personally would be more than happy to hear about ANYONE's military service for their country.

A couple of Canadians already responded. What about you Aussies, Brits, Spaniards, Saudi's, whomever? I would like to hear what they do as members of their services, too.

Art

I couldn't have said it better myself. There is, was, and never will be any intent on my part to exclude anyone from sharing their experience, all are welcome. As for the "credibility" issue, yes, there have been many idiots who have served, but most are weeded out early on in the process. My service experience has been one of cameraderie, fellowship, shared trials and tribulations, and shared success. My experience has been very, very positive. I grew up as an Army dependent, my father retired after 22 years of active duty having served all over the world and even two tours of Viet Nam. He retired as a Warrant officer flying Hueys for the 2/17th Cav out of Fort Campbell, Kentucy in 1980, which was after I'd been in myself for five years!!

My sister served four years active duty in the U. S. Navy. My brother served three years active duty in the U. S. Army. My first wife served four years in the U. S. Navy. My two oldest sons are currently serving in the U. S. Navy, one stationed in Iceland, and the other on a sub out of Guam. My family has served. I simply feel that the U. S. Army's Officer's manual says it best...

"Only those who are willing to serve, are fit to lead."

In my most humble opinion that does not mean strictly serving in the U. S. Military Service, or any military service, it simply points out a simple truth; if you want to be a leader you must be a successful follower as well, a team player, have a concern for the welfare of the group that is higher than for yourself. That is what I'm talking about when I say those that have served have a bit more credibility for me. It is not meant to disparage anyone, just expressing my feelings of respect, and gratitude, to those who have decided to place themselves in harms way for the greater good of the group, the society, or civilization in general. Many people never serve in any military service who perform amazing things for people nonetheless. None of them are being overlooked by a thread that celebrates a certain kind of service. NO politics are involved here unless you simply CHOOSE to see politics, and there is nothing I can do about that. The people who have listed their service here, whether they enjoyed it or not, have paid for your right to post in this forum without fear that your government will come to your home in the middle of the night and drag you away to a torture chamber somewhere and punish you for daring to express your opinion. So, feel free to express yourself, but don't be surprised with others take you to task for what you say, because that is also our right.

So, please keep posting where, when, and how you served, whether it was in the U. S. Army, or the Polish Commandos, or the Canadian Navy, it doesn't matter to me, it's all interesting and welcome.

So from a former Electronics Technician, Security Police, Tank Driver/Loader/Gunner/Commander, Armor Platoon Leader, Support Platoon Leader, Battalion BIC, Armor Company Executive Officer, Armor Company Commander, Brigade BIC, Assistant S-2, Assistant S-3 type, keep em' coming!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

Is there something about those who serve/have served in the military that you're personally uncomfortable with - regardless of where you might encounter them? They're just a group of people (many of whom are your neighbors and - it would appear - also happen to GeoCache) who, among other things, once shared the same <cough!>'tailor'<cough!> ...certainly nothing to be intimidated by.

You know, Cache Canucks post reminde me of a recent Geocaching event/get-together we had at a park down on the south side of Houston a couple of months ago. During this picnic I started talking to others in the group and found there were three of us former tank commanders there! It was the neatest thing. One was a tanker back during the Korean War/early Viet Nam era, the second was a cold war warrior like myself that served in many of the same places I did, but i was the baby of the group. Together we served in 9 differnt models of tanks! We shared experiences and just had the best time. What are the odds out of the 18 or 19 folks that showed up there'd be that many tankers in the group??? Love it.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

USMC 1991 – 1999

I served as an Air Traffic Controller in the Corps at:

MCAS Yuma, Arizona

MCAS Iwakuni, Japan

With deployments to:

MCB 29 Palms CA

NAS Pohang, Korea

RAAFB Amberly, Australia

Now I am a civilian employee of the Navy at NAS Whidbey Island. Like someone else said previously, there is no inter service rivalry. Nope, none of that goes on at work.

icon_biggrin.gif

My grandfather served in France during WW2 and Korea, several uncles served in Vietnam, and I tried despiratly for 3 years to get in, too bad in the eyes, back, etc for me to get into the military. So, I did the closest thing that I could to serve my country, I now work at a VA hospital in a nursing home. I get to witness everyday what sacrifice was made for us, often with tears from family, vets and staff. It is amazing to me that some can go through way more than what hell would be and still love this country as much as they do. I have assisted men that spent 5 years as a POW in Japan, survivors of Pearl, and even some as recent as Gulf 1. So, I consider my watching and listening to our dying heros while trying to comfort them my duty. The Marines have the saying "no one left behind", mine would have to be no one dies alone without dignity and respect.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

I guess I'll chime in.

1991-1995 Cryptologic Linguist, USAF

Presidio Of Monterey, CA

Goodfellow AFB, TX

Osan AFB, South Korea

Fort Meade, MD

Previous to that I was in Army JROTC at Fishburne Military School in Waynesboro, VA. Went to Virginia Tech for a short stint before realizing I wasn't quite ready. Finished up my degree while in the service.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

My Great Grandfather put aside his Quaker faith, burned down his house in southern Missouri, headed north, Served 2 stretchs in the Yankee ranks, was shot in the leg and survived Andersonville Prison during the civil war.

My Dad served in the Army in WWII in New Caledonia in the south Pacific as an MP.

I served in the Coast Guard 1968 - 1972. Alaska and the Washinton coast. Mostly Search and Rescue.

Oops. Forgot to add that my wife and kid are civil war reenactors. (we won't mention which side they portray)

Well said by Excop 1313: "GOD Bless The Troops Now Giving Their All For Your Freedom"

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

[This message was edited by EraSeek on April 03, 2003 at 12:41 PM.]

I never did the honor, but my father was a POW in Germany after being shot down. My older brother served in Nam, and I now have a nephew who is a scout in Iraq. A heartfelt thanks to those of you who served and those serving now.

I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once. Daniel Boone

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

i'm appreciative of the thoughtful responses you all gave to my comment. i don't really have much to add besides that.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

LOL, hey, we're a great group of folks, no matter what our C.O.'s said about us.... icon_biggrin.gif

It is amazing the breadth an depth of the experience here. I look back on where I started and where I went and it just stuns me to think of all I've had the opportunity to do. Who here could have afforded to go all the places the military took us, or could have paid for all the training we received. As a Tank Crew Evaluator (TCE) at Fort Hood in the 80's, I got to ride down range sitting on the top of a tank turret (sat on the open loader's hatch) while the tank crew negotiated Tank Table VIII. The main gun is firing, the coax is going, the TC if firing the .50 cal, and the whole time I'm sitting outside the turret with a clipboard.... where else do you get to do such stuff??? When I was in the Navy I got to ride in a COD plane back to the base I was stationed at from the USS Independence. The only cat shot I ever made, but being shot off the deck of a carrier is an unforgettable experience. Now think about the guys that do that every day till it becomes routine!!! Man, it's amazing. 20 year old kids in charge of millions of dollars worth of M-1A1 tank, or millions of dollars worth of Blackhawk helicopter, yet we tell them they're too young to have a drink.... c'mon.

This is one hell of a group of folks, and a very well trained force!!! The Geocaching Brigade!!

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

i personally never served but as a captain in 'her majestys royal navy' my grandfather went down twice, once by Otto Kretschmer,u-99 and later fired one of the torpedoes that finally brought this man down. other than that i have 4 cousins with the canadian army ranked from sargent to major, 3 of whom are with 'princess patricias light infantry'.

quote:
Originally posted by wyoduckhunter:

I get to witness everyday what sacrifice was made for us, often with tears from family, vets and staff. So, I consider my watching and listening to our dying heros while trying to comfort them my duty. The Marines have the saying "no one left behind", mine would have to be no one dies alone without dignity and respect.

And yours my friend is the toughest duty of all in my mind. I can stand sudden death. You look, and you carry on with the mission. I do not believe, no, I am sure of it... I couldn't stand to sit and watch somebody die slowly. You have my respect.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by lysa:

Obviously, being Canadian... I didn't serve icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmm...I sincerely hope that comment was due to the fact you thought this was an American thread. Else mine Royal-Canadian-serving boot rise up and smite thee in thy arse.

I served in The Naval Reserve (HMCS York) which is where my father began, and his father before him. Dad later shipped out before serving - and being topedoed x 3- as a CPO telegraphist during WWII in the Battle of the Atlantic (HMCS Saguenay, Skeena and Lauzon) I joined up so my Dad could see someone else in the family in the naval uniform. Joined the Gun Run team as he did too. Broke my kneecap and damned near my neck. When I came home after joining up, his reponse was "What in the hell did you go and do that for?" Sheesh. Fathers.

God-speed hearts of oak.

MMmmmmm pie!

I didn't serve but would like to take the time to thank you that have, including my Dad and Grandad who are no longer with us, for keeping us slackers free to geocache, speak our minds freely, and worship as we please. We live in a great country and you guys keep it that way.

Thank You very much I sleep better knowing you are out there.

Big Tom

U.S. ARMY '88-'92

1/227th "air mobile" 1st Cav

Dco 2/1 Avn regt. 1st Armor Div.

(attached to the 2nd armored Cav during the 1st Gulf war.)

Dco 2/1 Avn regt. 3rd Inf Div.

I was a AH-64 Apache crew chief, however, I spent most of my time During the GW riding around in UH-60 Blackhawks (riding the gun. "wheeee")

GOD bless America!

quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by lysa:

Obviously, being Canadian... I didn't serve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...I sincerely hope that comment was due to the fact you thought this was an American thread. Else mine Royal-Canadian-serving boot rise up and smite thee in thy arse.

Actually, one of my happier memories of boot camp in Parris Island was a french-speaking Canadian who had joined as a way of becoming an American citizen more quickly. He would just stand there and smile as the DI would be doing his 'maggot' routine as he didn't understand what was being said.

I'd hate to tell you the first American phrase we taught him! icon_wink.gif

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

Does trying to get in, but being told you have a slight mental problem count?

They say I am passive/aggressive, meaning that I can take it for only so long before I lose it.

I was told by the psych. that tested me, the military was not interested in replacing a Drill Sargeant(?spelling). I wanted in! The had promised to teach me to fly helicopters and how to blow things up!!! Oh, well.

I guess I will have to settle for supporting those that give their time and possibly their lives to keep me and mine safe.

To all you soldiers out there, here and abroad, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!

I can go anywhere!! ... (if my wife lets me)

quote:
Originally posted by Vince D'Elia:

USAF 1989-Present

491X1/3C0X1

Kadena AB Japan

Pentagon

Currently at Keesler AFB as an Instructor

Vince

KD5NVO

0H/7F

My dad went through Air Traffic Controller's School at Keesler in late 60's. I went to part of the 5th grade there. He was then sent to Bad Kreuznach, Germany, where we joined him a few months later once housing was arranged. After he'd done the ATC thing for a while he figured out he was missing something, so he put in for WOC training to be a Huey pilot... sheesh. This sort of thing is why I went to 18 different schools between kindergarten and 12th grade...LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

US Army 1972-1975

Ist Bn 6th Inf, 1st Bd, 1st Armored Division, Germany

I enlisted in the infantry as the US involvment in Vietnam wound down to it's tragic end, and we was relieved to hear that I would not be deploying to Vietnam. Our unit had just been transferred from Vietnam and we remained fearful that we would be called back as the South Vietnamese army collapsed. It was shameful and humiliating to watch our President resign under threat of impeachment and all our sacrifices go for naught as the promised peace with honor turned into a shameful bugout. This memory of the broken promises and misguided wishful thinking of Washington Chicken Hawks has made me most sceptical of politicians who force unwise war plans down the military's throat and stand ready to stab them in the back when things go wrong. It is unfortunate that it takes the death of many of our fighting folks to remind the fans of military adventurism that even victories can come at a terrible cost. As I work, I hear the sounds of gunfire as Reservists and National Guard zero their weapons at Camp Smith NY in preparation for deployment to Iraq as occupation forces. Those that think this will all be over in a couple of months need to go back and read their history books.

USAF 04 JUNE 1985 to 03 JUNE 1989

Served in the 1957 ISG Communications Group within the 15th Air Base Wing at Hickam Airforce Base on the Hawaii island of Oahu(1986-89)

Worked at a Shortwave Radio Receiver site, at NAVCAMEASPAC base(Navy communications base).

(NAVY Communications Eastern Pacific)

Peacetime Veteran, not Wartime.

I Trained in Tech School at Keesler AFB for Radio Maintence, then went off to Hawaii.

Really neat to see the Weather Squadron there, with those Hurricane hunter aircraft C-130.

I think my squadron was the 3403rd Training squadron right by the south end of the runway.

quote:
Originally posted by Vince D'Elia:

USAF 1989-Present

491X1/3C0X1

Kadena AB Japan

Pentagon

Currently at Keesler AFB as an Instructor

Vince

KD5NVO

0H/7F

quote:
Originally posted by jonboy:

"...This memory of the broken promises and misguided wishful thinking of Washington Chicken Hawks has made me most sceptical of politicians who force unwise war plans down the military's throat and stand ready to stab them in the back when things go wrong..."

Oh no, now you've gone and done it ...you've politicized the forum icon_eek.gif !

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jonboy:

"...This memory of the broken promises and misguided wishful thinking of Washington Chicken Hawks has made me most sceptical of politicians who force unwise war plans down the military's throat and stand ready to stab them in the back when things go wrong..."

Oh no, _now_ you've gone and done it ...you've politicized the forum icon_eek.gif !

Nah, it's okay, no one is listening anyway. Everybody knows two things: No plan survives first contact with the enemy, & People tend to fight the last war. His experience was bad, granted, no question. But to say that every action taken since then needs to be painted with the same brush is intelectually dishonest.

Regardless of what anyone says, in the world as we have to deal with it, some wars ARE worth fighting. Some causes ARE worth fighting for. If you don't want to that is your absolute right (well, unless drafted...lol) and a whole lot of people have fought, or stood ready to fight, for your right to dissent.

Personal opinions based on personel experience don't rise to the level of politics in my mind, I'm glad he felt like sharing what he did. My Dad came back from his last tour of Nam totally changed. He did not want to talk about Nam, he did not want to tell war stories, etc. From what I knew about it, being a teenager during that period, I respected that and didn't ask. All I knew was that plenty of kids in my classes didn't get their dads back from over there. Just before he passed away a year and a half ago we did have a chance to chat about his experiences and there was nothing about the experience that was positive. Wrong war, wrong place, wrong reasons, his words, but he went and did his duty. You have to respect that.

I think we ought to all get together for a beer myself......lol.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I don't serve in the military, but I am an engineer that designs military aircraft. I've spent almost three years working on the F/A-18 Super Hornet for the Navy and am currently working the B-2 Spirit for the Air Force.

I know it's not the same as going into combat, but I do take great pride in knowing that I'm helping to keep US military personell as safe as possible by giving them the best equipment in the world.

-Cody

USAF.....1981-1994. 9 yrs as a firefighter.....actually 8 yrs as a firefighter...1 yr recovering from injuries recieved while making a rescue from a crashed B-52. Then, 4 yrs as a ground safety technician (including a tour in a joint service capacity with the Army in Honduras). Duty in Michigan, England, Spain, Honduras. Loved it.......miss it.

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!

Sorry, this is slightly off-topic from this off-topic topic, but I just had to share.

This is one of many hilarious stories of Air Force basic training.

During every meal the TI's (Training Instructors) would all sit at one table which was appropriately called the "Snake pit". It was a bad idea to mess up around there because the chance is one of them would catch it and call you over there for a good verbal thrashing. The best thing to do was to eat your food as fast as possible and get out of there. Once outside the Airman could line up in a loosely assembled line and read the information book we were provided. Outside was a great place to get a mental break.

Now as many of you probably know, when you enter a building you are supposed to take off your hat and when you leave a building you are supposed to put it on. Another thing we learned is to help each other out if you forget something (teamwork).

One day I had just finished inhaling a meal, hurried outside, and lined up with a few others waiting for the rest of the group and the TI. A few minutes later a fellow airman comes out of the building taking his time getting his hat on. A bunch of us said "Airman, get your hat on!" He continued to take his time knowing that the TI was inside. He thought he looked so cool. Suddenly from our right comes "AIRMAN! GET OVER HERE!", from another TI training his group. The airman marched over there and stood at attention. "GIVE ME YOUR HAT!" barks the TI. The airman give him the hat and the TI throws it as hard as he can. "NOW GO FETCH". The TI played fetch with the airman for a couple minutes while we were snickering to ourselves (we didn't dare get caught laughing).

quote:
Originally posted by 3fros:

"...Suddenly from our right comes "AIRMAN! GET OVER HERE!", from another TI training his group. The airman marched over there and stood at attention. "GIVE ME YOUR HAT!" barks the TI. The airman give him the hat and the TI throws it as hard as he can. "NOW GO FETCH"..."

I'm sure that several forums could be filled with similar (or in many cases worse) Basic Training anecdotes ...but on *other* 'on topic' websites, not this one - of course!

icon_wink.gif

Having went through Basic myself in '77, and then been in a position of putting others through it as an instructor in the mid-'90s, all I can say is that the process has an entirely different (less 'primal'/more 'sophisticated') tone today than it did 25 years ago. Then again, if you were to compare 25 years ago to what folks were put through 25 years before that (around the time of the Korean conflict), you would probably make the same observation. At this rate, Basic 'Training'(?) might eventually become little more than something that's done at a computer console between light matches of volleyball.

icon_rolleyes.gif

MSgt USAF(Ret.) Nov 72-Dec 92

Inertial Nav, Auto-Pilot, Instrument Tech.

Wright Patterson AFB, OH 73-77

Kadena AB, Okinawa, JA 77-80 Was there when they changed from right-hand to left-hand drive. Had to be off the road at midnight, and start on the other side at 6am. TDY to Korea and Phillipines.

George AFB, CA 80-92 (F-4G Wild Weasels)

Desert Shield/Desert Storm Aug 90-Mar 91

Sheik Isah AB, Bahrain

don

quote:

I'm sure that several forums could be filled with similar (or in many cases worse) Basic Training anecdotes ...but on *other* 'on topic' websites, not this one - of course!

icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, you're probably right...lol. I could start it out by telling tales of having been through TWO boot camps... I know, I know, WHY???

I couldn't wait to get in the military so I joined the Tennessee Army National Guard while still in my senior year of high school. My dad was stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky so I wound up in the Armor company just off of Highway 41A. Upon graduation I was off to boot and AIT at Fort Knox, Kentucky. I returned in October after graduating (and we got a black beret to wear back then), and went back to my unit. Of course, the National Guard in 1975 was an interesting place to be. No money, no training except riot control training, and pure boredom.

So the Navy came and talked to me and got me signed up into the nuclear power program for a six year enlistment. The catch was, I had to go through Navy boot camp! So off I went to Orlando, Florida, back to boot camp. After having been through Army boot, Navy boot was EASY!!!! I had a BLAST!!! I even managed to weasel out of the nuke program when I found out I'd have to be a machinist's mate by failing a "new" math test they had to give me...lol.

So I managed to get through two boot camps and not be permanently mentally mangled.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif