How did you serve?

United States Army

1983-1986

11B20 - Straight Leg Infantry - 23rd Infantry Regiment

Sergeant/Squad Leader

Fort Jackson, Fort Benning, Fort Lewis, Camp Hovey - Korea

I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat

I hear ya. Even with the bad days, there sure were a lot of good days, eh? LOL.

Mac

Mac! Where have you been, brother?

Hey, I've been in and out and around for some time. I still maintain all of my physical and virtual caches, and still hit one myself every once in a great while...lol. I'm probably one of the only Charter Members that is still under 200 caches found, LOL. With my iphone and the apps that allow for much easier caching in the field, I've started back up again.

Other than that, still hangin' in there.

Thanks for asking!!

Mac McKinney aka Breaktrack

Wow 1,110 replies to this thread! I am proud to be among you that have served and are still serving.

Well, I did start it in April of 2003, so it's been around for a little while. I was in the forums a LOT more back then. But then they became like Camelot in Monty Python's "Quest For The Holy Grail", a silly place...lol.

Mac

As the son of a Former Marine, USMC 67-70, Vietnam Vet, thank you all for your service. I both admire you and respect your service to our country and for defending my freedom before I was even born, and since. I wish I had the priveldge of wearing the uniform of our country, but alas I have chosen to serve my country in the middle school classroom! Sometimes I think we might actually have just a few things in common! ;)

Edited by kraushad

It's been my experience that geocachers like to eat, so...

www.goldencorral.com/military/

Military Appreciation Monday

Free "Thank You" Dinner

Monday, Nov. 16, 2009,

5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Golden Corral's 9th annual Military Appreciation Monday dinner will be held on Monday, November 16, 2009, from 5 to 9 pm in all Golden Corral restaurants nationwide.

The free dinner meal is a special "thank you tribute" to any person who has ever served in the United States Military. If you are a veteran, retired, currently serving, in the National Guard or Reserves, you are invited to join us for Golden Corral's Military Appreciation Monday dinner.

To date, Golden Corral restaurants have provided over 2.2 million free meals and contributed over $3.3 million to the Disabled American Veterans organization.

To locate a Golden Corral near you, visit www.goldencorral.com/locator.

Several chains and even individual eateries have made very generous offers like this. I hope many veterans took advantage of this as it is a great way to experience the thanks of those whom you served.

Mac

It's been my experience that geocachers like to eat, so...

www.goldencorral.com/military/

Military Appreciation Monday

Free "Thank You" Dinner

Monday, Nov. 16, 2009,

5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Golden Corral's 9th annual Military Appreciation Monday dinner will be held on Monday, November 16, 2009, from 5 to 9 pm in all Golden Corral restaurants nationwide.

The free dinner meal is a special "thank you tribute" to any person who has ever served in the United States Military. If you are a veteran, retired, currently serving, in the National Guard or Reserves, you are invited to join us for Golden Corral's Military Appreciation Monday dinner.

To date, Golden Corral restaurants have provided over 2.2 million free meals and contributed over $3.3 million to the Disabled American Veterans organization.

To locate a Golden Corral near you, visit www.goldencorral.com/locator.

Several chains and even individual eateries have made very generous offers like this. I hope many veterans took advantage of this as it is a great way to experience the thanks of those whom you served.

Mac

I don't particularly expect thanks for my service, I volunteered and got paid for it, just like any other job. I did enjoy and appreciate the dinner, however, and a chance to see hundreds of vets from every service and every war since WWII get together. After dinner I (Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club) and geocacher Artican (a jarhead in both Gulf Wars) spent an hour talking in the parking lot with a WWII soldier who saw many of the big actions. Interesting how each generation has essentially the same stories to tell... boot camp and wild women! I guess those are the one commonality that we all experienced. That was fun, and we may have a new 89 year-old geocacher!

21 years in the Navy, BoatsunMate Senior Chief & First Class Salvage Diver

Wife 20 years in the Air Force.

Couldn't help picturing Cuba Gooding JR., and Deniro in "Men Of Honor" when I read that! Don't know how realistic it was, but I love that movie. Thank you, again for your and your wife's service.

27 years active duty Navy and still trudging along until they tell me to go home. Started 1982 as an E-1 Aviation Boatswain's Mate, was a Chief for four years, commissioned as a Limited Duty Officer in 1997, currently a LCDR serving as the Aircraft Handling Officer onboard USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT (CVN71).

God Bless America!

I never had the honor, unfortunately. I signed up for the National Guard at 17 with my parent's permission, scored a 98% on the ASVAB, and wound up being 11 pounds overweight at my physical. I'm still wondering if the recruiter couldn't have pulled some strings for that.

Anyway, THANK YOU!

Drop the weight and have another go.

U.S. Army 1983 - 1990 USA DENTAC

42D - Dental Lab Technician

Served at: Ft. Jackson, SC (Basic)

Ft. Sam Houston, TX (AIT & Permanent Party)

Ft. Sill, OK

Yong Son Garrison, Seoul, Korea

Ft. Leavenworth, KS.

Florida Army National Guard 1990-1992 131st MASH

91E - Dental Assistant

I had the time of my life when I was on active duty and I had the priviledge of serving with some of the finest people I have ever known. This might sound like a cliche, but the military made me who I am today, and I thank God for the experience. :lol:

God Bless Our Military, Wherever They Are Serving!!

Edited by rocketsteve

... I have chosen to serve my country in the middle school classroom!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! You're right; you may not have worn a uniform, but your job is just as important as the one we did and do. You have the opportunity to teach our children about the importance of freedom. You can explain that "Freedom Is Not Free", and that the freedom we enjoy today was secured by the service, and sometimes the lives, of men and women who have chosen to wear this country's military uniforms. You have the great responsibility to teach our children the past, so that they may never forget the sacrifice others have made in the defense of this country and of freedom.

USMC 1984-1992. My son is also USMC who returned from Iraq and deployed to Afghanistan about one month ago.

A remarkable man, but still my boy. Semper Fi.

Ditto for TeamVasquez. I was a machine gunner. He is security forces. Hes out there right now, doing what he wants to do. He got out after coming back from Iraq and went right back in and is now in Afghanistan. I couldnt keep him here, I couldnt even try. He wants to be there and wants to do the job and take care of his Marines.

Semper Fi son. :lol:

USMC 1984-1992. My son is also USMC who returned from Iraq and deployed to Afghanistan about one month ago.

A remarkable man, but still my boy. Semper Fi.

Ditto for TeamVasquez. I was a machine gunner. He is security forces. Hes out there right now, doing what he wants to do. He got out after coming back from Iraq and went right back in and is now in Afghanistan. I couldnt keep him here, I couldnt even try. He wants to be there and wants to do the job and take care of his Marines.

Semper Fi son. :unsure:

Well, to paraphrase President Reagan, many people have to wonder at the end of their lives if they've had any impact on the world, Marines don't have that problem!!

Mac

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flask:<BR>"...no matter whether you intent is to politicize a thread, it's been done from inception..."<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Actually, no. Up until you made your post, folks were simply having a friendly time sharing the old photos they carry tucked away in their wallets; as someone already said, a harmless exercise in 'getting to know each other' (just as we would if we were mingling at a GeoCaching picnic). There's been no breast-beating or divisive intent by those who've responded in this thread ...indeed, from what I've seen here, quite the opposite is true.<BR><BR>Why do I get the feeling that if this thread had been started by asking how many GeoCachers also happened to be fire fighters, airline pilots, or even snowplow drivers (all of whom could also claim to share a level of walk-the-walk 'understanding' common to those in their profession), you wouldn't have raised an eyebrow? Is there something about those who serve/have served in the military that you're personally uncomfortable with - regardless of where you might encounter them? They're just a group of people (many of whom are your neighbors and - it would appear - also happen to GeoCache) who, among other things, once shared the same <cough!>'tailor'<cough!> ...certainly nothing to be intimidated by.

+1 My thoughts also.

27 years active duty Navy and still trudging along until they tell me to go home. Started 1982 as an E-1 Aviation Boatswain's Mate, was a Chief for four years, commissioned as a Limited Duty Officer in 1997, currently a LCDR serving as the Aircraft Handling Officer onboard USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT (CVN71).

God Bless America!

That is one ship I'd dearly love to visit. I was there for the Commissioning of the USS George Washington the summer of 1990, at Newport News. That was really something to see.

Mac

Sure glad that you threw in the Coast Guard :D

Served on active duty in the Coast Guard: 1974 to 1999. I was a Machinery Technician (MK). Made my way to Senior Chief (MKCS) before being selected as a Chief Warrant Officer (CWO(ENG)) and finally retiring as a CWO4(ENG).

My duty stations were:

TRACEN Cape May (NJ) basic training (boot camp :lol: )

RTC Yorktown (VA) - A School (machinery technician)

Station Ocean City (MD)

USCGC Northwind (Wilmington, NC)

RTC Yorktown (VA) - Instructor duty

LORSTA Estartit (Spain)

USCGC Pt. Martin (Atlantic Beach, NC)

Station Sandy Hook (NJ)

Base Gloucester City (NJ)

Group/MSO Philadelphia (PA)

Support Center New York (NY)

Group Mobile (AL)

Industrial Support Detachment Fort Macon (Atlantic Beach, NC)

Joining the Coast Guard was the smartest decision of my life... other than staying in till retirement :D And, thanks to all the others that served... and are serving now!

Have looked at this thread several times but never posted.

U.S. Air Force 1981 - 1992

After basic at Lackland and tech school at Keesler, had duty assignments at Incirlik AB Turkey, Whiteman AFB, King Salmon AB, and Patrick AFB where I actually worked at Cape Canaveral. During Desert Storm I volunteered to go over to fill a vacancy in the MOB unit from Patrick but was turned down because at the time we were supporting a pushed up schedule to launch GPS satellites. That was considered more mission critical for those of us at the Cape. Had to make sure the troops in the desert had good satellite coverage for those new portable GPS receivers :lol: .

Eight years USAF, from '80 to '88, at Offutt AFB. Was assigned to the 544th Strategic Intelligence Wing :lol: , HQ Strategic Air Command (more brass than in a marching band).

Also did a year in Iraq as a Heavy Truck Driver, doing Tactical Resupply Missions for the Marines (Hoo Rah) , during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Breaktrack, thanks for a lively icebreaker and topic.

I wish I could say that I served in the military, but I can't. Nevertheless I hold those that have served in high regard. I was born into a military household, and married into a military household, as well. So although I didn't serve, I experienced it vicariously, mostly as a military brat. Born in Fort Ord, lived in Okinawa (then Machinato, now Makinato-ku), Fort Bragg, and the Presidio of San Francisco.

Dad served 26 years in the Army, retiring in '71 as an LTC. Was in basic when WW2 ended. Served in Korea and did 2 tours in Vietnam, the second with MACV-SOG. All of this was news to us kids, as he never talked about it very much. We knew he was SF, but never really knew what he did when he was in VN.

My brother followed in his footsteps, graduated from West Point in '76. Served with the 82nd in Fort Bragg, got out when he was a captain, in '82.

My father-in-law was a flight surgeon in the Air Force. My wife was born in VA, grew up all over the world. Her brother retired from the Marines a few years ago as a colonel. He was a helo driver, flew HMH-53's.

My best friend of nearly 40 years also served. He was in ROTC at USF (Univ. San Francisco), started out in MI at Fort WeGotcha (Huachuca), then transitioned into Cobra gunships at Ft. Rucker. He deployed to Korea for a year then went to YPG in Yuma. He left the military, but still works at YPG as a civilian, essentially doing what he used to do -- except flying, which he greatly regrets -- when he was in the military.

I have a lot of respect for the military. I do understand, and can appreciate Flask's comments. When I read his post, I chuckled. Not out of derision, mind. But I thought it funny when he mentioned civil rights that Col Oliver North, scapegoat of the Iran-Contra scandal, freely admitted to being a card-carrying member of the ACLU, and that had it not been for them, he would have been railroaded without any sort of representation or say. Ah, well. No politics. But my hat's off to any and all members of the military, whether currently serving or not.

Eight years in the US Marine Corps ('97-'05)

Wouldn't trade it for a thing. The good definitely outweighs the bad. I have had a few interactions with anti-war demonstrators, and have found that one quote pretty much sums it up:

'You criticize your government and say that war never solves anything. We have seen the innocent tortured and killed by their own people, and remember why we are fighting. For those that have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.'

How does this thread continue to surface, year after year, while other subjects, no matter how obvious, keep getting new threads created, rather than older ones revived? Must be a miracle of some sort. Is it a part of the debriefing from the military these days that they tell them about this thread?

It is about geocachers who served.

What surprises me is that I haven't seen any replies from non US caching vets. No vets from Canada or the Ukraine or Turkey cache? Or have I just missed those posts. I admit I have not been reading every post.

Yeah, and "What's on YOUR Bucket List?" (currently at the top of the OT forum) is about what is on geocacher's bucket lists.

What surprises me is that I haven't seen any replies from non US caching vets. No vets from Canada or the Ukraine or Turkey cache? Or have I just missed those posts. I admit I have not been reading every post.

Yeah, and "What's on YOUR Bucket List?" (currently at the top of the OT forum) is about what is on geocacher's bucket lists.

Seeing you get a more stylish pair of glasses, four eyes. :P

Yer Yellow, Tennis Ball!

Yer Yellow, Tennis Ball!

Hey! Tennis balls have more hair.

Yer Yellow, Tennis Ball!

Then, how come everyone around you has the blues? Huh? (same color as a particular bow that I worship, come to think of it)

Yer Yellow, Tennis Ball!

Then, how come everyone around you has the blues? Huh? (same color as a particular bow that I worship, come to think of it)

You know, I'm not sure. I shower at least twice a week. I use my deodorant regularly. You think I need be concerned?