How did you serve?

I served with U.S. Army Infantry from 1982 - 2003. I had a break in service for one year and served in the Army National Guard from 1986-1987. All in all, probably the best 21 years of my life and certainly I had a lot of fun. I missed the action so much after my military retirement that I became a cop less than a year after getting out.

Hey, mods, since this thread is so off-topic (*checks name of forum* yep, still "Geocaching Topics"), and yet you insist on letting it go on, you mind my creating a new thread in this same forum entitled: "Noodles, and Why We Should Worship Them"?

Or how about "Toe Fungi? Surprisingly Tasty!"?

Or how about "How The True Founder of the Indian National Congress, A.O. Hume, Was Indeed a Monkey Wrestler"?

I'll get to posting them now. Thanks!

MrW.

No, I don't mind this thread continuing, since it predates the establishment of the Off Topic forum and the current forum guidelines. There are many other similar "common interest threads."

Your proposed topics are uncommon interests, and I'd advise against posting them. I also advise against further off topic posts to this venerable thread. Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

No, I don't mind this thread continuing, since it predates the establishment of the Off Topic forum and the current forum guidelines. There are many other similar "common interest threads."

Your proposed topics are uncommon interests, and I'd advise against posting them. I also advise against further off topic posts to this venerable thread. Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

On-topic: I served overseas in the diplomatic corp, in Russia for a year, carrying pens and handshakes, not guns. It's a shame only those who work for the govt carrying weapons gets the the holidays and recognition, though. *shrug* I guess playing "army men" as a kid in the sandbox is more fun than playing "diplomacy men."

Now having said that, is your "Move thread" button broken? I've seen multiple threads moved into the appropriate forum.

And "venerable"? Wow. To paraphrase Hamlet, "Methinks the lady doth protesth too much."

MrW.

On-topic: I served overseas in the diplomatic corp, in Russia for a year, carrying pens and handshakes, not guns. It's a shame only those who work for the govt carrying weapons gets the the holidays and recognition, though. *shrug* I guess playing "army men" as a kid in the sandbox is more fun than playing "diplomacy men."

Now having said that, is your "Move thread" button broken? I've seen multiple threads moved into the appropriate forum.

And "venerable"? Wow. To paraphrase Hamlet, "Methinks the lady doth protesth too much."

MrW.

Wow, you were a diplomat???? Cool. Although I see little to no evidence of that in your posts on this thread so far, I'll just have to take your word for it.

Look up "venerable", there is a definition that fits what Keystone is trying to convey.

Mac

Excuse me. I am visiting my parents and was on my mothers computer when I posted the above comment "IF you dont like it, don't read it". I apologized to her but she agreed with the post. I guess veterans mothers feel pretty strong about it too.

You and your mother are more than welcome to have strong feelings about any blasted thing you want. I could care less.

However, this thread is in the geocaching forum, and it has nothing to do with geocaching. Hence why I'm requesting it simply be moved to the appropriate, designated (read, "Off Topic") forum, so when I'm browsing the "Geocaching Topics" forums I don't have to deal with all this clutter.

How is placing this thread in the appropriate forum objectionable?

MrW.

If you dont like this topic......dont read it!

Couldn't that be said of any off-topic thread posted to the Geocaching Topics forum?

This has nothing at all to do with patriotism... it has to do with clutter. I beg to disagree with the venerable Keystone... off-topic threads sould be moved to the Off Topic forum. Period. No grandfathering-in. Sure, I don't have to read them, but that's not the point. Should they be here? This is the Geocaching Topics forum, not the Common Interests forum. If we need one of those, the powers that be can easily create one.

Currently just half of this duo serves. Brad is in the Marines. He was enlisted from 2002-2006, then commissioned in Sept 2006. We're now in Pensacola, FL, which some might be able to guess is for flight school down here.

I served from 2005 to 2007(currently TDRL) as a Boom Operator in the Air Force.

Altus AFB, OK - 2005

Fairchild AFB, WA - 2005-2007

Interestingly enough we both hail from Washington state. Brad from Spokane. He served with the USMC Reserve unit there in town for his first 4 years! I'm from the west side myself. We both miss Washington dearly though! Although Fairchild isn't much, we hope you enjoy "home" while you're there!

Thanks for your service! (You and everyone really!)

Couldn't that be said of any off-topic thread posted to the Geocaching Topics forum?

This has nothing at all to do with patriotism... it has to do with clutter. I beg to disagree with the venerable Keystone... off-topic threads sould be moved to the Off Topic forum. Period. No grandfathering-in. Sure, I don't have to read them, but that's not the point. Should they be here? This is the Geocaching Topics forum, not the Common Interests forum. If we need one of those, the powers that be can easily create one.

Alrighty then, if you're the "diplomatic" type, I'll try to reach a diplomatic solution.

I just checked the member numbers of the people that were logged into the forum. I took the member with the highest member number present. I know there are probably a lot more than that, but it is representative without getting nit picky.

That member number was 1,449,480. I propose that, since so far it is only one or two members who seem to object to this thread still being where it is, that if it is that bothersome you get oh, say, 10% of the membership to sign on as objecting to it and I'll ask the mods myself to move it. Heck, let's say 5%!! OR even 1%!!!

Seems fair to me. What say you?

Mac

Alrighty then, if you're the "diplomatic" type, I'll try to reach a diplomatic solution.

I just checked the member numbers of the people that were logged into the forum. I took the member with the highest member number present. I know there are probably a lot more than that, but it is representative without getting nit picky.

That member number was 1,449,480. I propose that, since so far it is only one or two members who seem to object to this thread still being where it is, that if it is that bothersome you get oh, say, 10% of the membership to sign on as objecting to it and I'll ask the mods myself to move it. Heck, let's say 5%!! OR even 1%!!!

Seems fair to me. What say you?

Mac

I say that it is off topic. And yes... I served. Viet Nam, 68-72, but I don't consider that relevant to geocaching. Moving to Off Topic where it belongs does not kill the thread, nor dishonor those that served. It simply puts this (and the similar Nursing thread) where it belongs.

I didn't serve.

So let's dig up as many 'old' topics that we want so we can discuss them some more in this forum.

USAF, 8.5 years, Staff Sergeant

Lackland AFB, TX (basic)

Sheppard AFB, TX (tech school)

Lindsey AS, Germany (decommissioned)

Cheyenne Mountain Complex (NORAD), CO

Falcon AS, CO (renamed Schriever AFB)

Sembach AB, Germany (decommissioned)

A mob-ready communications puke, so I got sent some other places here and there...some good, some not-so-good.

FTR, the State Department gets off all military holidays. :)

I served 1997-2000 in the Infantry at Fort Drum, NY. Then I went to college and got commissioned into the Signal Corps and have been stationed at Fort Gordon, GA - twice and Fort Carson, CO.

At some point I introduced myself to the "Signal Frog" Corps and do a lot of my caching around military installations.

I've been to Iraq once, but there were no caches in my AO and I was too new (in my mind) to place on my FOB - maybe next time.

Look at that - on topic AND included geocaching...

Being in the USAF made me smarter because the G.I. Bill put me through college and helped get my bachelor's degree.

I was stationed at Beale AFB in the mid-70's working aircraft maintenance on the SR-71's, U-2's and KC135's.

But what a piece of cake compared to my late, great father who was in the Army's Third Infantry with General Patton. He was in the Battle of Bastogne and the Battle of the Bulge then took Northern Germany.

U.S. Navy 1989-1995. Honorable discharge. Navy Achievement Medal et. al.

Nuclear qualified Machinist's Mate 2nd class...was up for 1st when I got out.

U.S.S. Billfish SSN 676 1991-1995. Sturgeon Class. Has since been mothballed/

Operation Desert Storm

It is great to hear from all you veteran geocachers.

USAF

Tech Schools:

Ft. Huachuca, Sierra Vista AZ.

Corry Station Pensacola FL.

Permanent Duty Stations:

Lackland AFB San Antonio TX. 05'-07'.

Elmendorf AFB Anchorage AK 07' - present.

Duties include:

-Pee On

-Pee Cleaner

-Data Analyst.

LOL. I love it. See you in 20 yrs.

:unsure:

Edited by dseely7537

Still serving after initially enlisting in Oklahoma Army National Guard in 1985. Went active duty in 1994 after getting my Bachelors Degree. Currently enjoying my 5th trip to Iraq since 2003.

All total I have 23 years and 8 days of military service and 2 years, 1 month, and 3 days as a geocacher.

I never served. My family has been in every war since the Revoluntionary (though I'm not certain on the mexican or spanish wars).

I grew up on military bases and areas until I was ten. I loved living on Redstone Arsenal as a kid. It was near the space museum and several armories. I also enjoyed seeing where Space Shuttles got repaired. I wish I could go back but sections are military only.

I had wanted to join the air force to become an astronaut when I was younger but alas, sight and an inner ear problem stopped that. Never had any ambition for the military beyond that.

I was in for 12yrs DEP79 RA 80-89 break NG 91-93

24kilo01 MOS Hawk Missile Cont wave radar repair.

RA Duty stations

Redstone Arsenal , AL

Wurzburg Germany DSP 6/52

Redstone again

Mieasu Army Depot Germany General Support 611th ord

NG

Wagoner Okla MOS 31M

member of MAGC Military Association of GeoCachers http://www.militarycache.org/

Any ADA Guys out there?

Edited by 24kilo

C Co. 12th MP Bn. FT McClellan, AL

127th MP Co. Hanau Germany

410th MP Co. FT Hood, TX

50th MP Co. FT Dix, NJ (NJ National Guard)

Det 2 42nd MP Co. Lawrenceville, NJ (NJ National Guard)

42nd MP Co. Tikrit, Iraq

254th REG. Sea Girt, NJ (NJ National Guard)

US ARMY Military Police 21 years and counting!

RA Duty stations

Redstone Arsenal , AL

Redstone again

NG

Wagoner Okla MOS 31M

Any ADA Guys out there?

No, no ADA here. But you're currently 31 Mike? You'd think that one is totally obsolete these days. Were you recently retrained in that?

US Army 31R now known as a 25Q. 2003-2007, a total of 5.5 years.

2003-2006 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Red Cloud, South Korea.

2007 101st Airborne Division.

I was a multi-channel radio transmission operator, which shortly after they decided to make the upgrade to more digital my MOS got phased out and I became the orderly room clerk in charge of COMSEC and everything else that got kept in the vault. I fell in love with paying with the DAGR's and PLGR's and quickly became to go to guy for training the company on them.

Now back in the real world, I missed playing with the DAGR's so someone introduced me to geocaching.

Some days I still miss it, other days I am glad to be out. If I was single and didn't have a wife telling me otherwise I would possibly still be in the Army. I love the fact that I don't have to get out of bed to be in PT formation at 0600.

RA Duty stations

Redstone Arsenal , AL

Redstone again

NG

Wagoner Okla MOS 31M

Any ADA Guys out there?

No, no ADA here. But you're currently 31 Mike? You'd think that one is totally obsolete these days. Were you recently retrained in that?

I'm not in anymore, I was OJT Crosstrained, Both 24k and 31m are gone, I think they changed the 31m to another desigtion. When I went into the NG Commo was the clostest thing that they had to my PMOS.

4 years with 1 Sigs Regt (Cdn Armed Forces) gave me a love of communication technology that has lasted to this day. That's why, when the GPSr became a commonplace household item I was one of the first to acquire one. It wasn't until a few years later, I became familiar with geocaching that I joined this wonderful pastime.

Well I am older than most of the repliers in here. I was drafted in the US Army Apr '68 but enlisted my first day hince my number of RA 68002875. I went to Ft. Leonard MO for basic then to Ft Bliss TX for my IAT in 16C Nike Fire Control. After my training I went to Travis AFB CA for 3 years and re-enlisted and went to Ft Monmouth NJ for a year of training as a 34D DESTE repairman it tought me a skill I have used to make a living since computer repair. I spent 3 years stationed at Pirmasens Germany so when I got out I spent a total of 7 yrs 8 months and 10 days active duty. If I would have re-enlisted one more time I would have stayed for 20.

My son is in the USAF rigtht now and is a crew chief on F-16 and he just got his promotion to E-7 he has been in for a total of 14 years so he is going for at least 20 years. He is on his third tour in Iraq right now he was there when the war broke out.

My Father was T-Sgt in the Army during WWII landed D-Day plus 4. He did not like to talk about it much other than say he was in the battle of the buldge.

So my family is now in the third generation service.