How did you serve?

I too had the opportunity :D to do two basic trainings. I joined the Montana Army National guard in an armor unit. I did my Army basic raining at Ft. Knox Kentucky in 1979. The training was on the "new" M6oA1s for all you old treadheads out there. In 1982 I enlisted active duty in the Air Force and completed Air Force basic training in Texas. I was stationed at Chanute IL, Grand Forks N.D., and Castle CA as a flight simulator technician. I separated/was "pushed" out during all the down sizing in the 1990s. After a ten year break in service I joined the Kentucky Air National Guard in 2000. I am still a member of the unit and work in the procedures and analysis section. I only have three year left before I'm eligible to retire, but I think I would miss it too much to get out.

My family and I are brand new to geocaching (look at my post number :D ), but what a great way to teach my boys about compass and map reading. I often wondered how learning to call in artillery strikes would transfer to my civilian life. Now I know!

Although I haven't served, my son just recently graduated boot camp. I believe the men and women who are signing up now deserve some very special recognition considering they chose to enlist during a time of war knowing that they will most likely be going into a battle situation.

I'm a VERY proud ARMY MOM!!

ivylibra224

Michelle

BTW - I'm a pacifist who realizes that without those who are willing to fight for my rights I would have no choice but to fight!

A great big THANK YOU to all of you who have allowed me to remain a pacifist!

Edited by ivylibra224

Served in the Army in Dec. 1960 thru. Dec.1963 in the old Army Security Agency. Was in Vietnam in 1962. Before it hit the fan. My mos was intercept equip. repaireman.

If I was a young wipper-snaper again I would do it all over, because I can see what will happen if we don't get our heads out of our BUTTs and fight this war to win!

Keep your powder dry you never know when you are going to need it!!!!!!!!!!!

Now call me shallow if you wish but knowing someone served, in whatever capacity, in our nation's forces gives them a little more credibiity with me when it comes to what they say.

Yep, it is shallow. I hope when that firefighter(who never serverd in the military) goes in to your burning house to pull your unconcious family member out and saves their life, you'll explain to them why they don't have as much credibilty as that verteran who stood on the curb with the crowd watching your house burn. Edited by roveron

Now call me shallow if you wish but knowing someone served, in whatever capacity, in our nation's forces gives them a little more credibiity with me when it comes to what they say.

Yep, it is shallow. I hope when that firefighter(who never serverd in the military) goes in to your burning house to pull your unconcious family member out and saves their life, you'll explain to them why they don't have as much credibilty as that verteran who stood on the curb with the crowd watching your house burn.

Well, you can say that if you wish. No slur was intended then, nor now, several years later. As I am still a serving law enforcement officer, and work with firefighters all the time, I have no problem with them, veteran or not. Please take your preaching somewhere else.

Thanks,

Mac aka Breaktrack

Yep, it is shallow. I hope when that firefighter(who never serverd in the military) goes in to your burning house to pull your unconcious family member out and saves their life, you'll explain to them why they don't have as much credibilty as that verteran who stood on the curb with the crowd watching your house burn.

Well, you can say that if you wish. No slur was intended then, nor now, several years later. As I am still a serving law enforcement officer, and work with firefighters all the time, I have no problem with them, veteran or not. Please take your preaching somewhere else.

Thanks,

Mac aka Breaktrack

My preaching? Hardly. I was just pointing out callous and disrespectful remarks. Also, you were the one who said "call me shallow if you wish". So don't get your knickers in a twist when someone calls you on it. I challenge you to go up to one of those firefighters you work with who isn't a verteran and say, "You aren't a verteran so you're not as credible to me."

I know it's been several years, but I didn't revive this thread, someone else bumped it. I was just pointing out people need to think before they speak, unless of course you actually would say that to them.

Personally, my respect for people comes from their individual actions, not some label they wear.

Edited by roveron

Thanks,

Mac aka Breaktrack

My preaching? Hardly. I was just pointing out callous and disrespectful remarks. Also, you were the one who said "call me shallow if you wish". So don't get your knickers in a twist when someone calls you on it. I challenge you to go up to one of those firefighters you work with who isn't a verteran and say, "You aren't a verteran so you're not as credible to me."

I know it's been several years, but I didn't revive this thread, someone else bumped it. I was just pointing out people need to think before they speak, unless of course you actually would say that to them.

Personally, my respect for people comes from their individual actions, not some label they wear.

Whatever pal, I don't think I was the first one getting their "knickers in a twist", as you so quaintly put it. If you wish to take it that way, then feel free to do so.

Can I assume (as I know that is not usually the smartest thing to do) that from your response to this thread, you never served in the military? Just asking, seems pertinent to your reaction. But if you did serve, then thank you for your service in advance of your answer. If you did not, then, well, nothing. I was just curious anyway.

Thanks,

Mac

US Navy, 1977-1981. Aerographer's Mate 2nd Class (E5). After boot camp and "A" school, I spent the next 3 1/2 years at Fleet Numerical Oceanography Center in Monterey, CA.

The Navy got me started on the career I still have today, it got me out to California where I settled, and I met my wife. I'd have to say I grew up the day I set foot in boot camp. All in all, one of the smartest things I've ever done.

US Army 1968-1970....near the end of the "Vietnam Police Action". Lucky enough to not have to go there...a real surprize since I was drafted. Military was an overall good experience though...taught me how to deal with folks from different cultures and backgrounds. I really feel for those young men & women and their families....who are trying to do their duty in Iraq right now. They need our support. That really sounds wierd coming from a guy who once considered becoming a concientous objector...oh well, we get older and our eyes open up.

US Army Ranger

1975 - 2001

Units assigned include 82nd Airborne Div, 7th Light Inf Div, and 2nd Rng Bn.

Honduras, Panama, Desert Storm, Somalia.

Lead the Way!

Hey TC... when were with 2nd Bat. I had a friend that was with them just after Desert Storm.

Wrong time frame. I was there '78 to '83 and again briefly from Aug '90 to Apr '91. I was moved to liaison duty with a Air Force Spec Ops unit right after Desert Storm.

Edit: Who was your friend? We may well have crossed paths though.

Edited by Totem Clan

Dec 88 Ft Knox, KY for scout training then changed mos to 11b INFANTRY

Jan89 - Mar89 Ft Benning, GA Infantry school

Apl89 - Apl90 Camp Howze Korea Aco 1/5th mech Inf - M11A3 Driver - Unit Police

Apl - 90 - Sep91 Ft Campbell, KY Aco 2/327th Inf Asslt. - SAW Gunner

Sep90 - Apl91 Camp Eagle, King Fahad Airport, Saudia Rabia (spent 29 days in Iraq) - SAW Gunner

Sep90 - Apl91 Camp Eagle, King Fahad Airport, Saudia Rabia (spent 29 days in Iraq) - SAW Gunner

I was at Camp Casey, Korea from July89-Jul90 2/9th Mech Inf. Of course I spent most of time everywhere else but Camp Casey.

I was at Camp Casey, Korea from July89-Jul90 2/9th Mech Inf. Of course I spent most of time everywhere else but Camp Casey.

I know what you mean. I was at my unit like 2 weeks and they sent me to Casey to set up a land nav course and teach medics land nav so they could get the expert medical badges. Then about half way through my tour I got put on unit polce duty. It was 2 12 hour day shifts 2 12 hour night shifts then off for 3 days. I would spend most of thoose 3 days in Itaewon.

I know what you mean. I was at my unit like 2 weeks and they sent me to Casey to set up a land nav course and teach medics land nav so they could get the expert medical badges. Then about half way through my tour I got put on unit polce duty. It was 2 12 hour day shifts 2 12 hour night shifts then off for 3 days. I would spend most of thoose 3 days in Itaewon.

I spent most of that tour on patrol along the DMZ or Training ROK troops. Either that or playing OPFOR at one of the never ending stream of Field-Exs all over the peninsula.

U.S. Army 1984-1993

U.S. Army Reserve 1993-1994

Military Police/Recon

Germany/Somalia/Iraq/Yugoslavia

A few of my cache titles came from my experiences in these places that most folks just read about in the papers. Breaktrack...LCHM?

Slick Willie, AKA President Clinton, in cahoots with Sens. Gramm and Ruddman, decided in 1993 that they needed to thin the ranks, and offered exorbitant cash bonuses for "early retirement". Nope, we won't be needing to keep these experienced guys around, no sir.

:::sigh:::

God Bless Our Troops...yep I said it.

Totem clan you're the second Ranger I've seen out there, Caverdoc is one too.

Myself, 1st Bn (Rgr) 75th Inf - 81-84, Pathfinder Co, 101st Aviation Battalion (was a battalion pathfinder) - 84-86, E Company (Honor Guard), 3rd U.S. Infantry (The Old Guard) - 87-90, 4/43rd ADA - 91-93 (Security Chief), Disabled Retirement in 93.

Too many ex-Ranger's in geocaching, you'd think there was something else we could find to keep us busy...

Haven't run in to anyone from The Old Guard, any of you out there by any chance?

US Army Ranger

1975 - 2001

Lead the Way!

Hey TC... when were with 2nd Bat. I had a friend that was with them just after Desert Storm.

Wrong time frame. I was there '78 to '83 and again briefly from Aug '90 to Apr '91. I was moved to liaison duty with a Air Force Spec Ops unit right after Desert Storm.

Hey, you do remember of course that 1st Bat was so much better than 2nd, and the 3rd showed up and all that animosity went away and they were the slugs, new guys on the block... Seriously, had a former H.S. ROTC friend that went to 2nd just before I went to first, since it was the early 80's maybe you ran into New. Can't remember if it was Greg or Mike, twins, might have been both, memory fading...

Rangers Lead the Way, Sir

Totem clan you're the second Ranger I've seen out there, Caverdoc is one too.

Myself, 1st Bn (Rgr) 75th Inf - 81-84, Pathfinder Co, 101st Aviation Battalion (was a battalion pathfinder) - 84-86, E Company (Honor Guard), 3rd U.S. Infantry (The Old Guard) - 87-90, 4/43rd ADA - 91-93 (Security Chief), Disabled Retirement in 93.

Too many ex-Ranger's in geocaching, you'd think there was something else we could find to keep us busy...

Haven't run in to anyone from The Old Guard, any of you out there by any chance?

:unsure:

Yeah you'd think so.

There is another one here in ND, MinotRanger. There seems to be a good number of us out there.

US Army Ranger

1975 - 2001

Lead the Way!

Hey, you do remember of course that 1st Bat was so much better than 2nd, and the 3rd showed up and all that animosity went away and they were the slugs, new guys on the block... Seriously, had a former H.S. ROTC friend that went to 2nd just before I went to first, since it was the early 80's maybe you ran into New. Can't remember if it was Greg or Mike, twins, might have been both, memory fading...

Rangers Lead the Way, Sir

That name doesn't ring a bell. Don't know though, there's been a lot water under the bridge since then.

Edited by Totem Clan

U.S.A.F. - 1973 -1977

Aircraft & Weapons Security

Basic Training & Tech School - Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX

1st assignment - Dyess AFB, Abilene, TX, '73 - '75

2nd assignment - Spangdahlem AFB, Germany, '75 - '77

TDY - Zwiebruken, Germany, '76 for 3 months

HONORABLY Discharged March '77

Loved the military life. Went places to I would have never gone to, saw things I would have never seen, did things I probably would not have ever done with people I'll probably never see or hear from again.

Was not real happy with my "job" in the USAF but I would have re-enlisted if I could have cross trained to another career field. The military was very good for me and to me. I proudly tell people of my service.

Frankj3 :unsure:

:laughing:

Yeah you'd think so.

There is another one here in ND, MinotRanger. There seems to be a good number of us out there.

Maybe we ought to start an "I wish I was still in Battalion" caching group....

:grin:

Yeah you'd think so.

Maybe we ought to start an "I wish I was still in Battalion" caching group....

That sound like a good idea. :unsure::blink:

BTW, I am going to be releasing a "Ranger" TB here soon. I want it to travel from cache to cache visiting Rangers and Ex-Rangers along the way, as well as places in Ranger history.

I haven't decide if I'm going to attach it to a Ranger tab or to a Ranger Jump Wings hat pin I have.

US Army Ranger

1975 - 2001

Lead the Way!

His name is Michael Spencer. I know he didn't make it to the desert, but was with the unit by the time they returned in 91. I've lost touch with him over the years, but I believe he's with 20th group now.

Earlier today I was reading a post by Jeremy and found out something I did not know. Jeremy is a veteran.

Now call me shallow if you wish but knowing someone served, in whatever capacity, in our nation's forces gives them a little more credibiity with me when it comes to what they say. It sort of says they've walked the walk, not just talked the talk.

Does service make you a smarter individual? Does it make you better than other Americans? Do you deserve to be pampered and praised? Nah, none of the above, but it does show a certain dedication and experience that "may" be lacking in others, and in my humble opinion, it is their loss, not mine.

So I was wondering how many others might have served and not bothered to mention it, maybe because you don't really think it's any big deal, or you weren't in for that long, etc., or it just never came up. I think it would be interesting, at least to me, to know who has served in the military, and where, and in which service. (and yes, before anyone gets smart alecky, the Coast Guard counts...sheesh) icon_biggrin.gif.

No politics, no "support the troops", no pro-war, or anti-war, just state your service and maybe when you served. My roots in Geocaching come from my service in the military, where I was first introduced to GPS technology. So it does tie into our little sport, at least for me.

My service was spread over the years 1975 to 2002. I served on active duty in the U. S. Navy for four years (Electronics Technician), two years in the Texas Air Force National Guard (Security Police), 13 years in the Texas Army National Guard (Armor Crewman and Armor Officer), and six years in the Army Reserve (Staff Officer). In there somewhere I managed to have a total of 23 months where I wasn't in for one reason or another. I retired from the Army Reserve last July mainly thanks to a detached retina in my left eye that makes me inelible to be deployed, so there you have it. My reserve unit was activated in January and is at Fort Hood as we speak.... and I'm missing it, sigh.

So, that's all that's needed, no chest thumping, no bragging, just state your service and when it was and allow those who care to, to just say thank you for your service.

I certainly thank you, that's for sure.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Served in the Navy onboard USS John F. Kennedy carrier 75-78 as an electricians mate and drilling reserves from 78-80. Ray

Edited by raybonz