How did you serve?

Evil Homer:

Served in Afghanistan (Kabul) in 2004 as a Explosives and Ordinance Disposal technician.

Wow another EOD Tech!!! :unsure: That's something you don't run into to often. Hello, from a fromer US Army EOD Tech " May your C-4 always be dry and your beer always cold"

It is good to see this post is still alive, and so many people have served or support those who have served. Thanks to all those who have served and who are still serving.

since it is the season MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!, and if you don't celebrate Christmas may whatever holiday you observe be filled with joy..

Well, _I_ serve by being the one to keep the homefires burning, the care packages coming, and the memory of him strong in his children. He serves in the U.S. Army, 1995 to present. He is the one to sleep in the dirt, brush sand out of his teeth, and hope the dogs don't forget who he is and attack him on his way into the house after a long mission. I don't see him often, and I miss him greatly, but I couldn't be more proud. In fact, right now I have the floopy butterflies in my stomach, because he will be home (for a short amount of time) SOON....someday I won't know what to do when its time for him to be home for GOOD!(I don't think he will either!)

Thank you for your service without it us service members can not do our job. Your service is as important and as needed as ours. Know that those left at home are never forgotten for their service.

I thought this would be an appropriate place to post this. Merr Christmas to all who are serving today, at home and abroad.

BooBear, 2Lt, USAF (15 years prior enlisted, 1.5 years commissioned), currently stationed at Offutt AFB, NE

‘Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,

In a one-bedroom house made of plaster and stone.

I had come down the chimney, with presents to give

and to see just who in this dwelling did live.

As I looked all around, a strange sight to see,

no tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.

No stocking on the mantle, just boots filled with sand.

On the wall hung pictures of far distant lands.

Medals and badges, awards of every kind,

a sobering thought came alive in my mind.

This house was different, it was dark, it was dreary.

I had found the home of a soldier, I could see that most clearly.

The soldier lay sleeping silent, alone.

Curled up on the floor in his one-bedroom home.

His face was so gentle, room in such disorder,

Not at all how I pictured a U.S. soldier.

Was this the hero, of whom I’d just read?

Curled up on a poncho, a floor for a bed?

Then I realized the other families that I saw this night

Out there lies the soldiers who are willing to fight.

In the morning around the world, children would play

Grown-ups would celebrate a bright Christmas day

But they all enjoyed freedom, each month through the year,

because of soldiers like the one lying here.

I couldn’t help but wonder how many lay alone,

on a cold Christmas Eve, in lands far from home.

The very thought brought a tear to my eye.

and I dropped to my knees and I started to cry.

The soldier awakened, I heard his rough voice,

“Santa, don’t cry, this life is my choice

I fight for freedom, I don’t ask for more.

My life is my God, my country, my Corps.”

The soldier rolled over, and drifted to sleep,

I couldn’t control it, and I continued to weep.

I kept watch for hours, so silent and still.

as both of us shivered from the cold night’s chill.

I didn’t want to leave him on that cold, dark night.

This guardian of honor, so willing to fight.

Then the soldier rolled over with a voice soft and pure.

He whispered, “Carry on Santa, it’s Christmas Day, all secure.”

One look at my watch and I knew he was right,

Merry Christmas my friend,

May God bless you this night.

Edited by BooBear

Me personally, never served.

My father was Army, stationed in France in '61-'63 ( I think, all I ever heard of was his opinion of the people there and the fact that he ate some bad scallops and was sick for a week.)

His father was in the Marines' Air division in '31. Had some wonderful stories for us grandkids about flying formation pranks. His commander could always "vouch for his men as they were flying practice runs..."

Mom's father was Navy in Japan during cleanup after WWII (I am not sure of the dates) Great pictures of my grandpa in Navy dress...

Mom's Aunt was a nurse in the Navy during WWII. Not sure where she was stationed, I was really quite small when she was able to talk about it.

Hubby's best buddy as an impressionable teen was a guy who took him fishing all the time. He served (where I don't know for sure) and the best thing Hubby told me was that he was one of those Bad*ss guys who ran up on a tank to drop a grenade inside. Hubby was a pallbearer at that man's funeral. Left a large impression on him to this day.

My dad's best friend from High School went to Vietnam. Never talks about the things that went on there. Theory is Agent Orange messed him up - he was never able to have kids. One time he was pumping out a flooded basement when I had to have hime come over to check a valve adjustment I had done on my car. I apologized because it was Memorial day weekend. He said it would be better than sitting in a dark damp hole that smelled like a swamp. He's also the one who, after his home had been broken into, found the stash of stuff under a tree in the grove nearby, and sat there with a shotgun and the sheriff and waited for the guys to come back. They did, to their misfortune.

SO, I have had much influence in my life by those who have served! I DID try to register for the draft - they turned me down because I was a girl.

Thank you to all who have served, whether you agree with the military position or not, because of you we have the country we do, the freedoms to have opinions that may differ from the norm, and the ability to speak our minds without fear of retaliation.

Merry Christmas

Yet another tanker here...

California Army National Guard, 1986-1991 C 1/149th Armor, Santa Cruz, CA

Washington Army National Guard, 1991-1994 Troop E, 303rd Cav, Puyallup, WA

Tank crewman, mostly gunner, on M48A5, M60A3, and finally M1's.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah (as appropriate) and may everyone here have a wonderful and happy 2006. To those in Iraq and Afghanistan, may you stay safe, get the job done, and come home soon!

Team Maccabee

From Team Anuci - Tony "the tattooed naturalist" served 1993 - 1996, I (Jill) served 1992-1996. Both of us were stationed at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. I was a medic, he was field artillery.

Tony actually was on a team that field tested some of the first gps systems over in Hawaii.

Team Anuci

White Cloud, MI

I served in the U.S Army initially with the 4/22 infantry, Schofield Bks Hawaii. Three years in the infantry taught me some great land navigation skills. Little did I know it, but in the year 2003 it would turn into such a fun hobby.

After being in the infantry for three years I re-enlisted and for a different job (or MOS) i was now a Bomb Squad Technician (EOD Exlposive Ordnance Disposal) and again land navigation skills were of the utmost importance. I was assigned to the 74th EOD unit in Fort Riley Kansas/ Rhiad Saudi Arabia

During the first Gulf War my unit was dispatched to various area througout Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to disarm bombs and clear minefields. With the land being so much desert its very difficult to navigate but maps alone.

During that time we used a lorance system, we called it a slugger (i don't know why) A future geocacher was born.

Tony Romero

Klemmer was a pilot in the USAF 1971 thru 1982. After training, flew mostly C-9A Nightingale (Aeromedical Evacuation). High point was having the privilege of flying many of our brave ex-POW's (Vietnam) to their hometowns from arrival ports in the US. Also spent 5+ years engineering and buying specialized video equipment for USAF aircraft (replacing old film cameras).

TeddyBearMama was a USAF Nurse for several years, which is how we met!

Our prayers are with our dedicated military personnel everywhere, especially at this time of year.

Joined in 93, still active duty Army. 6 years in 2/75, one great junp and one bad landing later....been aviation for the last 6.5. Currently working as a recruiter, another 7 months on that tour. I'll be glad to get back to the big Army where is is 10x safer and 100X better than RECRUITING!!!

US Coast Guard, 1964-1968. Includes one year on coastal patrols in Vietnam.

It was my first lesson in contract reading. When signing on, I neglected to ask whose coast we were gonna guard. [grin]

Happy New Year to all......

-Paul-

Radioman First Class, visual signalman, and published the ship's newspaper.

USAF 1979-2002. Enlisted as a linguist, transitioned into airborne electronic warfare, flew as part of the RDF for a few years. Finished my undergrad degree as part of a commissioning program (after many years of night school), earned my commission after 14 years active. Earned a graduate degree from AFIT; retired after 23 years while at an AF research lab, where I now work as a contractor.

My grandfather was in the first unit to enter Dachau concentration camp in WWII, something I never knew until this year. My father spent 18mos. in the northern part of what is now South Vietnam, where in that area he has never said. In February 1992, 20 months after I graduated highschool, I signed up for the Air Force. During my MEPS processing, it was discovered that I had an irregular heartbeat and from there they determined I had a defective heart valve. I was permanantly disqualified from military service, regardless of the fact that I was still a competitive distance runner, but I got a dadgum good physical on the government's dime.

I have some bitterness that I made it to nearly 20 years old before someone told me that I had a heart problem, and to this day believe that I'd still be in the Air Force. To those of you who have served and those of you who are still serving, I have 2 words...

THANK YOU

I was in the Navy. Served on the USS California in 1976, a Nuclear Powered Guided Missile Cruiser. I was a Nuclear Qualified Electrician.

Thanks to all who serve.

Rock on to Nuke EMs! I'm a nuclear trained electrician on the USS George Washington currently.

Wow, you have a great job!! Believe it or not, I was attending my Officer Basic Course at Fort Lee, Virginia when the U. S. S. George Washington was christened at Newport News. President Bush (the first one) was going to be there and the first lady (Barbara Bush) was going to do the actual christening.

I talked about 20 of the other 2nd Lieutenants (Ensigns to you swabbies) into going to the ceremony. I'm sure all of the naval personnel in attendance had a hard time figuring out why there were a whole crew of Army officers in dress greens on the dock, but hey, we like to confuse folks....lol.

Now remember, I served for four years active duty in the U. S. Navy in the late 70's, so I can talk about the canoe club all I want....LOL.

I've always kept up with the Washington ever since, felt a small connection with her after that.

Mac

I tried everything the Army had to offer, hey wasn't there a slogan back in the day? Be all that you can be, in the army. That was my motto. I started out as an MP in the Army Reserves, then a truck driver in the Nat'l Guard, then an MP in Active Army. Then, I figured I would try this Inactive Ready Reserve stuff. That was fun, but no pay check got old. So, back to the Army Reserve as an MP. There I found out how deployment in the reserves is. There were good days and there were a lot more bad days (thank goodness there was beer, though). And after 16 years, I have done all the military had to offer. Duty stations include: Heidelberg, Germany; Ft.Drum, NY; Egypt; Cuba; Panama; Ft. Campbell, KY and a couple boring places in MO. Glad I did it, but sure am glad I am done with it!

USMC 1989-2001. Got out as a GySgt. First five years I was a 6313 Com/Nav Tech for the A-6 Intruder. After that I worked on EA-6Bs when the Coprs did away with the A-6s for F/A-18s. I served in Desert Storm with VMA-(AW)-533. Lat. moved as a Sgt in 1994 to the 0200 field as an Imagery Analyst. Now I work for one of the three-letter acronym agencies here in the D.C. area. :P I thank the Corps every day for what it has given me in my life. OOH-RAH Devil Dogs. Stay Hard and God bless!

USAR 1987 - Present

Currently an Instructor (92F Petroleum Supply)

Service to me is not about the money, but about giving back to the greatest country in the world.

I learned land nav the hard way; compass, protractor, miltary topo map, etc.

USAF 1977 - 1981. Tail gunner B-52. Protected our northern border out of Michigan from those Commie Russians and flew secret spy missions out of Guam over Iran and the Middle East during the Iranian Hostage Crisis. Sure is a different world now!

Tail gunner in a B-52? There's a job that got phased out. I did two years maintaining the BUFFs up there on the northern border in Michigan from 1983 to 1985. Brrrrr!

For all those who have served, and are currently serving, kudos to you.

Anyone that is interested please consider joining the Patriot Guard Riders. We attend the funerals of fallen soldiers and veterans to honor their service and sacrifice. You do not have to be a motorcycle rider to join or participate, everyone is welcome.

Go to http://patriotguard.org/ and see what you think.

Once again, thank you.

Mac McKinney

Captain, USAR (ret).

i'm an 8 year navy vet. i was an AT which stands for aviation electronics technician. first 4 years in san diego, then 4 years in japan. 10 total months of sea time. made stops in hong kong, korea, africa, phillippines. i fixed electronic components on F14, FA18, A6, EA6B, E2C, S3. highly recommend a stint in the military for everyone.

Wow! I just noticed this thread, and I've been reading it for the past 4 hours. I didn't realise there were so many vets into geocaching.Here's my story:

USAF E-4 '66-'70. AEW&C Radar Tech

Tech school at Keesler AFB, MS, 3 years duty at McCoy AFB, FL with the 966th AEW&C SQN

503466a3-40cb-4360-96d8-b1387c6937f6.jpg

The semi-official EC-121/AEW&C site: www.dean-boys.com

And to all service personel overseas, THANK YOU for your sacrifices. If we can give others a taste of the freedom we have cherished, maybe we can get the whole world on the wagon with us.

Served in the Navy for 6 years, 79-85. Spent 4 years of that on the fast attack submarine USS Tunny, SSN682 as an Electricians Mate.

In Memorium

The sacrifice that you have made

So we are free and unafraid

To speak our minds upon the street.

For us this is the greatest treat.

You fought for us and died that day

To God above for you I pray.

With great respect and head bowed low

A special place to you bestow.

Big Max