Trademark Items......

umc

Trademark items are usually added in addition to the trade item, unless it's a particularly valuable item. Most aren't.

Some I've seen:

Geocachers Orange and Jungle Green leave a single Orange and Jungle Green crayon.

The current Geocaching champs, with over 1200 finds, leave a keychain with the CCCooperAgency logo on it.

BassoonPilot and Stayfloopy use Wheresgeorge bills as their trademark (and trade)item.

Rubberduky leaves (what else) a rubber duck.

Team Harrald leaves a Late Show pencil.

Waterboy leaves a small bottle of spring water.

And for an odd one, some unknown Geocacher...they never mention it in their logs..leaves a tampon. I've found one in quite a few of my caches on maintenance trips

There are several threads on this subject, lots of cool stuff. I started one thread on personalized signature items, which faded out quickly for some reason. I prefer the personalized ones, it's nice to have a geocaching user name assosiated with the item.

I've started making mini CDs with a slideshow of well over 100 Maine pictures on it which I will be leaving in a few caches, only one has been taken so far. Only time will tell if anyone likes the idea or not.

If you light a man a fire, he will be warm for a day; if you light a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

I just recently decided to use a 'signature' trade item. Since I was getting frustrated finding decent items to use for trade. What I did was to make a nice mixed CD (case and cover, etc). They are fairly cheap and easy for me to make, and they are a signature item. I've only had a chance to trade this item once, but it was picked up on the 2nd find after me, so it can't be too bad. I guess I'll find out if people like the mix. icon_smile.gif

I just recently decided to use a 'signature' trade item. Since I was getting frustrated finding decent items to use for trade. What I did was to make a nice mixed CD (case and cover, etc). They are fairly cheap and easy for me to make, and they are a signature item. I've only had a chance to trade this item once, but it was picked up on the 2nd find after me, so it can't be too bad. I guess I'll find out if people like the mix. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RoscoP:

If you're leaving mixes of someone else's copyrighted music, you're asking for trouble.

If it's orginal, it's very cool, and a clever way of self-promoting. :-)

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by RoscoP:

If you're leaving mixes of someone else's copyrighted music, you're asking for trouble.

If it's orginal, it's very cool, and a clever way of self-promoting. :-)

ApK

A while back I was going to use those tiny Tabasco bottles as my signature item, but I think I saw someone else using it. Haven't thought of anything else...Buck8Point uses little packets of Tony Chachere's (can anyone say that name?) creole seasoning. If I'd have found a big box of that before he did, I'd have gone with that icon_wink.gif.

-pizzachef

A while back I was going to use those tiny Tabasco bottles as my signature item, but I think I saw someone else using it. Haven't thought of anything else...Buck8Point uses little packets of Tony Chachere's (can anyone say that name?) creole seasoning. If I'd have found a big box of that before he did, I'd have gone with that icon_wink.gif.

-pizzachef

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

And besides...I thought as long as you weren't making money, you could give out as many copies as you want of the copyrighted music that you OWN.

-pizzachef

Buzzzzzzzz Your answer is incorrect.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

quote:

-pizzachef

I think it's pronounced "sha-share" and food items in a cache, especially the deliciously fragrent ones you mention, are also a bad idea.

ApK

quote:

-pizzachef

I think it's pronounced "sha-share" and food items in a cache, especially the deliciously fragrent ones you mention, are also a bad idea.

ApK

quote:

quote:

ApK

DUDE...we're just _SHARING_!!! icon_wink.gif

And besides...I thought as long as you weren't making money, you could give out as many copies as you want of the copyrighted music that you OWN.

-pizzachef

I think Napster tried that argument.

Didn't fly....

I know with software, and maybe with music, you can make a backup copy for your own use, but that's it. If you give a copy away, you can't keep a copy for yourself.

If you were joking, I apologize for not noticing.

ApK

quote:

quote:

ApK

DUDE...we're just _SHARING_!!! icon_wink.gif

-pizzachef

I think Napster tried that argument.

Didn't fly....

I know with software, and maybe with music, you can make a backup copy for your own use, but that's it. If you give a copy away, you can't keep a copy for yourself.

If you were joking, I apologize for not noticing.

ApK

Ok, for what it's worth. A lot of people get confused over what they're allowed to do, or not to do, with copyrighted material. The official US Government Copyright laws:

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

The long and short of it - owning copyrighted material does not grant you ownership of the copyright. A clear distinction.

----------

I will prepare food with my iron fist!

Then I will work my way up to ruling you all with my fist!

For a while I was leaving the tiny bottles of Tabasco. Then I realized that I was, strictly speaking, breaking the food in caches rule. Not that animals would break in to get at pepper sauce, in fact it's often used as an animal repellant.

I decided if I try to rationalize my Tabasco bottle, someone else will rationalize their granola bar.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Not that animals would break in to get at pepper sauce, in fact it's often used as an animal repellant.

I can't explain it, but one of our cats loves hot sauce, and one of our dogs likes that bitter apple stuff that's supposed to keep dogs away from stuff.

ApK

Hey, this thread started out with trademark items, then ended up a Royal Rumble with copyrights and Hot Sauce!!! Wheeweeee! Spicy infringement, for sure icon_smile.gif.. I like leaving mining stickers. They are a hobby for me, and are very unique...I hope many people from non-mining communities may appreciate them.

Hey, this thread started out with trademark items, then ended up a Royal Rumble with copyrights and Hot Sauce!!! Wheeweeee! Spicy infringement, for sure icon_smile.gif.. I like leaving mining stickers. They are a hobby for me, and are very unique...I hope many people from non-mining communities may appreciate them.

I could appreciate a mining sticker seeing how I married a coal miners daughter icon_smile.gif

I like the idea of having the name on the item but still haven't come up with something that I could put my name on and use as a trademark item. I will keep pondering.

Keep up the posting.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I could appreciate a mining sticker seeing how I married a coal miners daughter icon_smile.gif

I like the idea of having the name on the item but still haven't come up with something that I could put my name on and use as a trademark item. I will keep pondering.

Keep up the posting.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

We do not have a large number of cachers in our area and most seem to have a signature item. As a consequence all caches have the same contents after the regulars have made the find.

Although the point is the hunt and not the contents, it is somewhat disapointing to see the same items in all caches.

Pay attention to me, boy! I'm not just talking to hear my head roar! - Foghorn Leghorn

quote:
Originally posted by opey one:

Hey, this thread started out with trademark items, then ended up a Royal Rumble with copyrights and Hot Sauce!!! Wheeweeee! Spicy infringement, for sure

The point is "Don't use food items or pirated material as your signature item."

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

A signature item is a reflection of the owner. Some of us take pictures, some are miners, some like tobasco sauce, and some are pirates. icon_wink.gif

I think your problem is low self-esteem. It is very common among losers.

quote:

A signature item is a reflection of the owner. Some of us take pictures, some are miners, some like tobasco sauce, and some are pirates. icon_wink.gif

quote:

ACTUALLY its pronounced (Sa Cha Ree) And for your information, Seasoning, not Foodstuff, loaded with Cayenne Pepper, Pronounced (Kai anne) will surely NOT attract any varmants. A Hungry Coonass maybe, but any animal with a good nose will avoid that stuff like the plague.

If you dont believe that, ill send you some, and you can let your dog have a sniff to see what his reaction is.. Animals dont hunt on thier taste buds, they hunt by smell mostly.. An animal with good nosefull of Tony's would be the equivalant of a person who just got pepper sprayed..

Ever heard of Pepper Spray Grizzly Repellant???

Buck8Point.. icon_eek.gif

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

quote:

ACTUALLY its pronounced (Sa Cha Ree) And for your information, Seasoning, not Foodstuff, loaded with Cayenne Pepper, Pronounced (Kai anne) will surely NOT attract any varmants. A Hungry Coonass maybe, but any animal with a good nose will avoid that stuff like the plague.

If you dont believe that, ill send you some, and you can let your dog have a sniff to see what his reaction is.. Animals dont hunt on thier taste buds, they hunt by smell mostly.. An animal with good nosefull of Tony's would be the equivalant of a person who just got pepper sprayed..

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

ACTUALLY its pronounced (Sa Cha Ree)

Ah ha! Thank you.

quote:

And for your information, Seasoning, not Foodstuff,

For your information in return, seasoning is foodstuff.

quote:

loaded with Cayenne Pepper, Pronounced (Kai anne) will surely NOT attract any varmants. A Hungry Coonass maybe, but any animal with a good nose will avoid that stuff like the plague.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that pepper spray is a hell of a lot more concentrated than anything you'd be enticed to eat, and the stuff that's often effective on bears is stronger still than what they sell to civilians to use on people.

I will, for my own curiosity, leave a packet of the seasoning, out here in bear country, and let you know how it turns out.

Isn't pepper spray made from habeneros, not cayenne?

ApK

[This message was edited by ApK on September 18, 2002 at 01:20 PM.]

quote:

quote:

quote:

Buck8Point

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that pepper spray is a hell of a lot more concentrated than anything you'd be enticed to eat, and the stuff that's often effective on bears is stronger still than what they sell to civilians to use on people.

And isn't made from habeneros, not cayenne?

ApK

Notice I said EQUIVALENT...

Most animals have noses that put our sad little appendages to shame. Even a small bit of most any kind of pepper in the nose of an animal that can smell one drop of urine in one million drops of water, will be most overwhelming to them and they avoid it like the plague. Trust me on this..

And As far As I know, Pepper sprays are indeed based on the Red Varieties of Peppers of which Cayenne is one... Habenero while a much hotter pepper is indeed YELLOW.

I have grown them both myself..

I also waited almost a full year before finally deciding on my Signature Item. I gave the issue a lot of careful thought in that time period, and decided that One Emergency Ration Pack Of Tony's Seasoning per cache find, fit my personality, and my geocaching philosophy perfectly...

So there it is..

Take it or leave it..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:

quote:

quote:

Buck8Point

And isn't made from habeneros, not cayenne?

ApK

Most animals have noses that put our sad little appendages to shame. Even a small bit of most any kind of pepper in the nose of an animal that can smell one drop of urine in one million drops of water, will be most overwhelming to them and they avoid it like the plague. Trust me on this..

And As far As I know, Pepper sprays are indeed based on the Red Varieties of Peppers of which Cayenne is one... Habenero while a much hotter pepper is indeed YELLOW.

I also waited almost a full year before finally deciding on my Signature Item. I gave the issue a lot of careful thought in that time period, and decided that One Emergency Ration Pack Of Tony's Seasoning per cache find, fit my personality, and my geocaching philosophy perfectly...

So there it is..

Take it or leave it..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

I started leaving these lighthouse pins pretty early on. A couple months ago I added the business card sized backing and plastic baggie. I've thought about numbering them so I could keep track of them but . . naaaahhhh.

lighthouse.jpg

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:

I noticed..what are you trying to say?

You don't consider seasoning to be food, so do you have some alternate definition for EQUIVALENT too?

quote:

HERE'S SOMETHING for you to chew on while you rationalize why the rules shouldn't apply to you.

quote:

I'd ever given it much thought, I just figured the hotter, the better, but a little web searching has just tought me that, as you say, they are usually from Cayenne, and from habanero and other peppers as well.

quote:

So there it is..

Take it or leave it..

Well, swell for you, I guess. I'll continue to suggest to people who ask in a public forum, that they obey the rules and not put any food in caches. Take it or leave it....

ApK

"Fy" and I tried to leave a few packets of "small rolls of toilet paper" but we looked back on logs and never saw anyone taking these. We want to leave something useful for people, vs. personalized. If we left something personalized, we wouldn't feel it was really a 'trade' item - we'd feel too egotistical if we treated a personal item that way. (Took the Rolex, left a "TeamJiffy" sticker, type thing..) So, we would leave something else besides a personal item.

If we were to leave anything, I think those 'cacher trading cards' would be pretty cool, if lots of people started using them.

-"Jif"

If you're putting together a mix CD on one of those "audio" cd-rs, you are paying a royalty when you buy the cd blank. This royalty is part of the Audio Home Recording Act, which states:

Section 1008. Prohibition on certain infringement actions

No action may be brought under this title alleging infringement of copyright based on the manufacture, importation, or distribution of a digital audio recording device, a digital audio recording medium, an analog recording device, or an analog recording medium, or based on the noncommercial use by a consumer of such a device or medium for making digital musical recordings or analog musical recordings.

Check it out at http://www.virtualrecordings.com/ahra.htm

quote:

I know that those consumer audio recording decks require use of those audio cdrs, but will those cdrs work in regular pc cd recorders?

Yes, the audio CDRs will work in any CD recorder I've ever seen.

However, I would not be surprised if there is a law which contradicts the one posted. First thought is one of not having permission to distribute.

The lawmakers and lawyers like it this way, having 2 ways out so the one who can afford the better lawyer wins the case. icon_razz.gif

quote:

I know that those consumer audio recording decks require use of those audio cdrs, but will those cdrs work in regular pc cd recorders?

However, I would not be surprised if there is a law which contradicts the one posted. First thought is one of not having permission to distribute.

The lawmakers and lawyers like it this way, having 2 ways out so the one who can afford the better lawyer wins the case. icon_razz.gif

quote:

We're still trying to figure out a signature item for ourselves...not sure what we like best. Have started to leave a glow-in-the-dark keychain with 'The Tarrytown Horsemen' written on it & will see how that works out. We also try to leave a Where's George? bill when possible. For those who know us out there (via our caches & the ones we've visited), any ideas on what you may have noticed that you associate with us? icon_rolleyes.gif Like BassoonPilot & Stayfloopy with their WG? bills. If so, maybe we'll stick with that.

I'm glad you put this topic up. Was just thinking along the same lines myself & trying to choose our item. icon_confused.gif

~The Tarrytown Horsemen~

"I do the Rock myself......" The Rocky Horror Picture Show

We're still trying to figure out a signature item for ourselves...not sure what we like best. Have started to leave a glow-in-the-dark keychain with 'The Tarrytown Horsemen' written on it & will see how that works out. We also try to leave a Where's George? bill when possible. For those who know us out there (via our caches & the ones we've visited), any ideas on what you may have noticed that you associate with us? icon_rolleyes.gif Like BassoonPilot & Stayfloopy with their WG? bills. If so, maybe we'll stick with that.

I'm glad you put this topic up. Was just thinking along the same lines myself & trying to choose our item. icon_confused.gif

~The Tarrytown Horsemen~

~The Tarrytown Horsemen~

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

"Fy" and I tried to leave a few packets of "small rolls of toilet paper" but we looked back on logs and never saw anyone taking these. We want to leave something useful for people, vs. personalized. If we left something personalized, we wouldn't feel it was really a 'trade' item - we'd feel too egotistical if we treated a personal item that way. (Took the Rolex, left a "TeamJiffy" sticker, type thing..) So, we would leave something else besides a personal item.

You can personalize Toilet Paper can't you? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

You can personalize Toilet Paper can't you? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg