Camera pics to large to upload :(

I use this program and it works awesome for resize along with a ton of other things. Download in and install it and if you have any questions at that point post back here and I will help you with it. Its pretty easy to use.

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

I'm not sure what type of camera you use, but most digital cameras come with bundled software which can download the pictuers from the camera and store them on the hard drive.

Once this has been done, almost all software packages have a method to export the image to either smaller sizes or different formats. Usually it is fairly straightforward, simply highlight the picture(s) that you wish to compress or change the format of, and select the export option (usually under the file menu, and may be called something different - refer to your documentation for details). This will prompt you to save the file as another name and will give you options for sizing and compression factors. This is generally easier than using a completely separate program, as it allows you to manage your photos from a single software package (and isn't as expensive as photoshop or some of the other high end commercial software packages).

If you have any specific questions about the software you can email me, we have tried most of the packages that are commonly supplied with digital camers, and could probably put together a quick walk through for you.

Gord,

Team Bradinn

"When I was a young man, I journeyed to the West to find myself......it turns out I had the wrong coordinates."

In reply to your question, Photoshop is a commercially available program that is quite expensive to buy, although it is regarded as one of the best image editing software packages for the prosumer available.

It is available as a trial download from adobe which is good for (I believe) 30 days. There are of course other ways to obtain it which we will not mention here, since such things are of questionable moral value.....

"When I was a young man, I journeyed to the West to find myself......it turns out I had the wrong coordinates."

If you have a Windows System, you can use the crude but free Paint Program (Start, Programs, Accessories, Paint) to open and shrink JPG files. Just make sure to do a "Save As" so as not to destroy the GOOD pictures. The shrinking process in Paint can be found under Image, Stretch/Skew - make sure you stretch both horizontal and vertical the same percentage.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

irfanview

I have a JamCam 3.0, and for some reason, when I use the Jam software, it saves the JPGs upwards to 400k in size. All I do is then open it in irfanview, and save it over the existing file (no editing). Whammo, it's suddenly under 100k. I guess the Jam software must be pretty cheezy.

----------

Chickenfoot! Come back! You're not a freak! You're just stupid!

quote:
It's what I'm not associated with the company, but I've been using for years with no troubles or complaints.

Yep, me too. I've had PaintShop Pro for years and have used it for all sorts of graphics. I'm sure there are programs that are more "no brainers" but this one seems to suit me well.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I have received three copies of Elements in various digital imaging equipment I've bought, and it is REALLY powerful for how inexpensive it is. It does MOST of the things my Photoshop 7 does.

The interesting feature for what you're trying to do is in Photoshop 6, 7, and Elements, and is called "Save For Web.." It doesn't require you to change your loaded image AT ALL. It brings up a split screen where you can see the "before and after" of your image, will allow you to save it as a different size, and even see the finished file size BEFORE you save it.

I bring this feature up when I'm trying to make an image "web ready" change the IMAGE SIZE control to 640 pixels on the LONG side of the image, hit apply, and it's small. Then I tweak the .jpg quality settings to get the best balance of quality and image size. I try to hit around the 90k size for this website, because they claim they'll take an image up to 100k.

This works great, and when you're done you won't accidentally overwrite your original LARGE image when you close the program.

BTW, Elements RETAILS for $89, and for what it does it's a bargain.