streaks

MartyFouts

Time for a light hearted topic. What's the longest streak you've had, either of always finding the cache, or of always missing the cache.

My longest miss streak is 3, all on the same day, all hidden by the same person. (I'm in a snit and refuse to do any more of his caches because he has me jinxed icon_wink.gif ) I don't think I've ever gone an entire day without missing a cache, but that's because I try to mix a few easy ones in on the days I do many caches.

My longest hit streak is around 25.

My longest miss streak (excluding benchmarks) is 2, which I've done a few times. My longest hit streak is 40 and counting. However, I've mostly been doing easier caches during the hot Texas summer months, so 40 in a row isn't saying a whole lot.

My most misses on a single cache is 5. Finally got it on my sixth attempt, with a couple of hints from another cacher. The darned thing was only a 2.5/1 cache, too! Sometimes, you just get a blind spot...

25021_1200.gif

I've never missed 2 in a row but it did take me 3 trips to find a 1/1 cache. Not buried, in full view, 18 inches above ground level, and we sat within a couple inches of it many times. I was almost embarassed when we finally found it and realized how easy it was. There were tons of 'obvious' hiding spots within a few yards and we just never looked in plain sight, doh!

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

For the last few months I've been finding three or four, and then striking out on two or three. I should go back and look more closely at the logs and the individual caches, but I had a count of 67 icon_eek.gif finds before I came up with a sad face. It seems slightly fantastical to me, but who knows.

I know that the activity has lost some of its luster, and the addition of a baby boy puts more demands on my time. This translates to not being as patient and dogged in my searching lately, and this helps me to explain the recent unhappy streaks. icon_smile.gif

Funny you should ask this since I was thinking of doing the same post. I am in a rut. Most days I hit between 5-9 caches with finding them all. I am now in a rut where on Saturday I went to find 9 found only a few and gave up. On Sunday was a terrible day and found half of those. I related it to the travel bug I had with me for the bad luck icon_smile.gif

Hopefully this weekend things will turn around. I always try to end the last cache of the day a find so you don't go home with a negative experience.

I don't like being skunked and tend to keep looking until I find it, weather and wife permitting. In several cases that has been over an hour.

Not counting locationless caches, I'm on 19 in a row, although I don't really care because I got a cache rejected for stupid reasons during that period. icon_frown.gif

On a disappointing day in Chicago, I missed 3 in a row because the first wasn't there, the second had been archived while I was traveling, and I couldn't get on-site to do the third one.

Another time I was skunked 3 times in one day by the same multi-stage cache! I had to email the owner for clues on all but one stage. I was so pissed that I didn't finish the cache until a month later. icon_mad.gif

The first one I was unable to find was my 6th try, but that was because I was using a map and compass. After I could afford a GPS, I've gone 30 hits before not being able to find one. Funny this pole came out because the one I couldn't find was the last one I attempted on Sunday.

Iron Wolf

My longest loss streak is one cache, however, I've missed it three times. I keep going back after someone else logs it and I keep not finding it. I could ask the cache owner where it is, but that would be like asking for directions when my wife want me to... icon_wink.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Of my 123 finds...

20 not founds, and of those not founds

9 found on next return trip

4 not yet retried, but plan to eventually

4 not yet retried, out of state with no plans to return

2 not found because it was missing

1 not found, has been found and archived since

Of those, the worst streak was four. The first I just couldn't find; the second we got distracted by a playground until it was too dark, the third was a week later that we just couldn't find, and the fourth was four days later with coordinates posted that were 250 feet off.

I also had a streak of three caches over two days in Maryland. The first cache (Daniels) I didn't have the right equipment (meaning rope or foolhardy courage); the second the GPS went haywire, and the third (the next day) I just couldn't find it.

Started with a streak of 9 finds, then got stymied by a 1/1. Three days later, I began a streak of 24 in a row, then missed one because I tried a first find with badly posted coordinates, then found the next 20 (so went 44-for-45 in that stretch. I'm currently on a 14-in-a-row streak.

"Why don't you just ask somebody?"

"No, no. I've got a map. Don't worry about that."