I Done Been Published!

Criminal

Excellent story from the second smartest person in geocaching! But wait, this was written by a Chris Caserta, not you...how dare you take credit for someone's work!

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 12, 2003 at 06:19 AM.]

I'm sorry, but this can't qualify as a geocaching news item. The mandatory phrase "buried treasure" does not appear anywhere in it. It is also missing the phrase "high-tech treasure hunt".

Please correct these errors and re-submit.

Thank you.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Funny, the first thing I noticed was the big letters that said B S at the top right. icon_biggrin.gif Oh, thats B Section.

Funny how Criminal and BS seem to go together like that. icon_wink.gif

Just kidding!!!! Congrats on the article!!

40158_1200.gif I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you've heard is not what I meant. --Richard Nixon

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
I remember getting around 30-50 feet with my GPSIII before SA was turned off.

I was going to say maybe location had something to do with it, but you're not that far from me. I never got better than a few hundred feet accuracy in years prior to SA deactivation. I mostly used Garmins with a 12XL being the most recent at the time. I guess the III just had better reception.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

When SA was turned on, the published standard was that 95% of the fixes would be accurate to within 100 meters. If you look at this plot from the US Space Command website, you can see that the maximum error during the 4 hour SA sample was about 80 meters (horizontal), and the average error was somewhere in the 20 to 40 meter range. Of course, individual fixes could be much better than that, and infrequently, much worse!

Loved the article though! Good stuff icon_cool.gif!