policy on dangers of geocaching--Jeremy?

Cleveland Metroparks is currently working on creating a permit system for allowing caches within our park system. The permits will ensure that the locations are environmentally suitable for the caches and that there is not an oversaturation of caches within our parks.

A question came up of whether or not geocaching.com has any sort of policy or official position on cautioning Geocachers of unlikely dangers. For instance, if someone had placed a dangerous item in a cache and an unsuspecting Geocacher was harmed - what happens? Is there any precident set? I have not noticed an offical warning of any kind posted on the web site that Geocaching is "at your own risk", althougth I understand that it is implied.

Cleveland Metroparks maintains 6 caches. In our caches and on our Geocaching brochure the rule is stated that: Absolutely no tobacco, alcohol, drugs, firearms, dangerous items, adult items or food are permitted in the caches. Also, our caches are monitored monthly by volunteers. We know that this is not fool proof, but a good start.

Please let me know of any official policies or positions taken by the site. Also, if anyone knows of any localized policies pertaining to this, I would love to hear them. Thank you.

That disclaimer page listed above is linked to from every cache page by the way. Look just above the star ratings and you should see a link to the disclaimer.

Also, in the FAQ, there is some info about "inappropriate" items in caches. Here is that link: http://www.geocaching.com/faq.asp look for the section that reads: What shouldn't be in a cache?

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Thomason:

That disclaimer page listed above is linked to from every cache page by the way.

Sure is easy to overlook that TINY link.

I've seen dozens and dozens of cache pages and must admit, I've never even noticed it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Thomason:

That disclaimer page listed above is linked to from every cache page by the way.

Sure is easy to overlook that TINY link.

I've seen dozens and dozens of cache pages and must admit, I've never even noticed it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

I think that the Cleveland Metroparks has taken sone excellent steps towrds promoting Geocaching as an acceptable use for a park. I understand your concerns about someone placing something inappropriate or dangerous in a cache. But I feel you have taken the right steps by having volunteers monitor the cahces. If anything you may have cahces looted by local kids or by people who get a kick out of doing the same. If any caches had been boobytrapped or had dangeous items placed in them we would have heard by now.

Geocaching is about as dangerous as hiking through the wooods and it depends on on how challenging the trail is.