Arriving at a site, another geocacher already there...

quote:
Originally posted by pipedreamer:

What is the etiquette here? Especially if it's a race to claim "first find"? Should the new arrival go

Finding another cacher in the process of searching is pretty rare, actually. I think I've only had that happen 3 times. It is more often the case that I'd come across a cacher sitting near the cache spot writing in the log book.

First finds aren't a biggie to me so what I'd do is go a few hundred feet away and wait for the other cacher to be done. However, if he or she spots me, there is no harm in asking if we can make it a team effort.

It is always acceptable to say "hello" or "hi", introduce yourself and ask them if they mind you hanging around. They may be very nice people. They may be about to give up and they may be welcome to a joint effort. Don't afraid to resort to civility. icon_smile.gif

It is always acceptable to say "hello" or "hi", introduce yourself and ask them if they mind you hanging around. They may be very nice people. They may be about to give up and they may be welcome to a joint effort. Don't afraid to resort to civility. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

Originally posted by pipedreamer:

What is the etiquette here? Especially if it's a race to claim "first find"? Should the new arrival go

quote:
Finding another cacher in the process of searching is pretty rare, actually. I think I've only had that happen 3 times. It is more often the case that I'd come across a cacher sitting near the cache spot writing in the log book.

First finds aren't a biggie to me so what I'd do is go a few hundred feet away and wait for the other cacher to be done. However, if he or she spots me, there is no harm in asking if we can make it a team effort.

"First Finds" ARE a biggie to some geocachers, to the point where they will drop whatever they're doing if a new cache is posted in their area and dash out in hopes of bagging that all-important (to them) first find. If that were the situation, what would be the etiquette if 2 guys, both of whom wanted to bag the "first find" showed up at the site at the same time, the day the cache was posted? Should the person who was there first be given the opportunity to finish his search and leave before the new arrival starts looking? Or is it perfectly okay for both to search at the same time with the assumption/understanding that the first person to actually lay a hand on the cache gets to claim the first find?

I've actually done both.

I guess communication is key. If you are the second person, ask the other hunter if he wants to join forces. Don't get your feelings hurt if they tell you that they would rather continue solo. In which case, back off and give them some room.

If it is a new cache, you might not be first. Oh well, next time maybe you'll beat him to the site and he can wait.

Realistically your options are to ask them if you can join them or to stay out of the area till they are done.

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll

quote:
"First Finds" ARE a biggie to some geocachers, to the point where they will drop whatever they're doing if a new cache is posted in their area and dash out in hopes of bagging that all-important (to them) first find. If that were the situation, what would be the etiquette if 2 guys, both of whom wanted to bag the "first find" showed up at the site at the same time, the day the cache was posted? Should the person who was there first be given the opportunity to finish his search and leave before the new arrival starts looking? Or is it perfectly okay for both to search at the same time with the assumption/understanding that the first person to actually lay a hand on the cache gets to claim the first find?

I've heard people talk about being the first to find a cache is like taking someone's virginity. I think those people are trying to substitute something that they aren't doing enough of with this sport. I suggest they both go home and "get some" then return when they can think clearly.

(sorry if that offended anyone ... tried to say it delicately)

quote:
Realistically your options are to ask them if you can join them or to stay out of the area till they are done.

Well again we're making up rules as we go along. There isn't a rule about backing off for anyone. I honestly enjoy chatting with other cachers and would just continue to search for it myself. If they didn't want to allow me to search for the same cache I honestly wouldn't care a lick.

So what would be the rule. First car in the parking area??? first cacher within 100 feet??? first cacher to mark a tree????

The majority of cachers I know don't take all this very seriously. They have hundreds of finds and will help anyone locate a cache. If someone was such a grump that they didn't want to allow me to search for the same cache then why care?

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

"You cannot feel on a friendly and comfortable basis with a John Somebody-or-other; nor can John Somebody-or-other feel the least bit acquinted with you, if he does not know which one of a thousand co-ed names you happen to own.

As soon as you are introduced and you know that he is John Jolly, and he knows that you are Loan Lovely, that very instant you begin to feel acquainted. At least you both have jumped over the first hurdle on the adventure of making a new acquaintance. That is reason number one.

The clever hostess goes one step further in her role of introducing. She gives a cue to start conversation."

Personality and Etiquette

copyright 1950 D.C. Heath and Co.

If you ungroomed geocachers need more etiquette lessons just let me know! I have a whole textbook for ya!

"I ain't got time to bleed!"

sigimage.jpg

I have only been to one cache where I meet a cacher. We both pulled up to a parking lot and we both got out with our GPS and we knew we were both there to geocache.

Since this wasn't a "first find" oppertunity, I suggested they go first and to take their time. It was an easy urban cahe so I said I would come resuce them after 30 minutes. icon_biggrin.gif

(The other person was a couple and I was also a couple with my wife.) If I got deep on the trail heading toward the cache and meet up with someone, then I would suggest a team approach.

If I was going to be pissy about people getting to caches first, then I would have to complain about people that don't seem to have a job on Friday! They always seem to be first!

The best things in life are not things...

Now Open... http://www.geoindiana.com <-Click It! You know you want to!

I have only been to one cache where I meet a cacher. We both pulled up to a parking lot and we both got out with our GPS and we knew we were both there to geocache.

Since this wasn't a "first find" oppertunity, I suggested they go first and to take their time. It was an easy urban cahe so I said I would come resuce them after 30 minutes. icon_biggrin.gif

(The other person was a couple and I was also a couple with my wife.) If I got deep on the trail heading toward the cache and meet up with someone, then I would suggest a team approach.

If I was going to be pissy about people getting to caches first, then I would have to complain about people that don't seem to have a job on Friday! They always seem to be first!

The best things in life are not things...

Now Open... http://www.geoindiana.com <-Click It! You know you want to!

I only met other cachers once and it was sorta funny. When I neared a cache location I saw two other guys walking toward me, so I just kinda pretended to be a normal hiker. When they saw me they walked up and asked me what Hemlock was. I was so surprised by the question that I had to ask them to repeat it. When I realized they were serious, I had to keep from laughing. After all, this is Pennsylvania and Hemlock is the state tree. icon_biggrin.gif I answered their question by saying it was a type of tree and also mentioned that they were standing under one. They then gave a look of enlightenment and walked back toward the cache area.

When I got down the trail and out of site I pulled out the cache page and decrypted the hint. Sure enough, the hint said the cache was located under a downed tree in a stand of Hemlock. I sat on a stump just down the trail (laughing to myself) and kinda half-watched them until they were done. Although I was withen 50 yards of them, they never even knew I was there.

I think they did find it since they lingered awhile at the exact location. Someone else had signed the book that day, but only I entered a log on the website for that day. icon_confused.gif

I probably should of helped them out, but I had never encountered another geocacher before and I certainly wasn't ready for these two!

I did learn that not all geocachers are the outdoor type!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

I only met other cachers once and it was sorta funny. When I neared a cache location I saw two other guys walking toward me, so I just kinda pretended to be a normal hiker. When they saw me they walked up and asked me what Hemlock was. I was so surprised by the question that I had to ask them to repeat it. When I realized they were serious, I had to keep from laughing. After all, this is Pennsylvania and Hemlock is the state tree. icon_biggrin.gif I answered their question by saying it was a type of tree and also mentioned that they were standing under one. They then gave a look of enlightenment and walked back toward the cache area.

When I got down the trail and out of site I pulled out the cache page and decrypted the hint. Sure enough, the hint said the cache was located under a downed tree in a stand of Hemlock. I sat on a stump just down the trail (laughing to myself) and kinda half-watched them until they were done. Although I was withen 50 yards of them, they never even knew I was there.

I think they did find it since they lingered awhile at the exact location. Someone else had signed the book that day, but only I entered a log on the website for that day. icon_confused.gif

I probably should of helped them out, but I had never encountered another geocacher before and I certainly wasn't ready for these two!

I did learn that not all geocachers are the outdoor type!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

Some times I go caching with a buddy, some times I just happen to meet one on the hunt. Generally, when two of us are hunting the same cache at the same time, we both just look. If one of us spots it, we don't let the other one know. Keep looking as if you never found it. Step away from the cache and say "I found it." If you say "I found it." right by the cache, it gives it away. You still have first claim but the second cacher's hunt is not ruined.

But then the pressure is on. If your buddy finds it and you still keep looking for 10 minutes while he stands there and laughs, it can get quite nerve racking.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

I politely let the other cacher go forward. That way I can rush them from behind and knock them down thereby gaining the edge.

Seriously though, it's never happened to me but if it did I would just introduce myself and ask to make it a joint operation.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

I've heard people talk about being the first to find a cache is like taking someone's virginity. I think those people are trying to substitute something that they _aren't_ doing enough of with this sport. I suggest they both go home and "get some" then return when they can think clearly.

(sorry if that offended anyone ... tried to say it delicately)

SOME people are just competitive. It has nothing to do with sex. I am one of those competitive people and I sure don't need to go home and "get some", neither do my 5 and 8 year olds.

Yes, some of us do drop everything and rush out when a new cache is posted. Hell, I couldn't get a babysitter so that I could go see "Episode II" at 12:01 a.m. opening day! I like to be there first, it's a rush and in our area, where folks place special items in some caches specifically for the "first finder", sometimes it is worth it to try and get their first.

Not too long ago we noticed a new cache early Sunday morning. All I had to say was, "Hey guys, get your boots on!" and the whole crew got excited. They know the drill. It was less than twenty miles from us and we knew the area. About thirty minutes into looking around trees and dense underbrush, we heard a car coming up the deserted logging road. We knew right away it had to be another geocacher, and we were pretty sure who it would be. We all came out to meet them, say hello and tell them how we hadn't found it yet. I even showed them the spot where my GPS said we should be closest, but still weren't finding it. We all looked together. It just happened that we'd all narrowed the search area down, and Steak was standing right next to Little J when she found it. She offered to let us have first pick of the loot, but I reminded her that SHE had found it first, and the first finder honors should go to her and her hubby. We really enjoyed that find. All of us. Now we have geocaching friends!

I realize it can't all be like that, but I agree that the first person to be at the site physically should determine if and when the second cacher/group should get the chance to hunt or join up with them.

"Come on, Iceman! Take the shot or let Mav get in there!" - 'Slider' from Top Gun

I also think that there should be, for etiquette's sake, a time limit. If the first person to get there doesn't want to join forces with those that show up second, they should have a certain amount of time to do a thorough search before the second person/group gets a chance to "play through". If you're choking, your GPS has a EPE of 112 feet and you've poked and prodded every bush, rock and tree root for a hundred yards, ask for help or step back and give the second to arrive the same courtesy you would appreciate from them and let them try. Don't be so bloody competitive that you don't know when to say when just because you have an audience.

I've been told that "IMHO" means that you AREN'T being humble at all, so I will now say: "That's my frickin' opinion and I'm not at all sure I care WHAT you think of it!"

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

It's not whether or not you pick your nose that matters, but where you put the booger...

Personally I really like that. I recognize the locals from posted photos and it's pretty easy to recognize a fellow geocacher at 2:00am in a field with a flashlight.

On one occasion I was standing over a small cache in a field when another guy with a GPS was making a beeline for me. I asked him if he wanted to turn around or something while I finished the log and shuffeled outta there but he didn't seem to mind, We took a group pic. I don't want to ruin the hunt for anyone. It's great meeting people on a multi at different stages. Let's say you are on leg 6 and you meet someone on leg 3. It makes you hurry up, and you are not treading on each other's toes for the most part.

And oh man are some people passionate about being first. Or just beating certain fellow geocachers to the punch. SO much that I've become like that now. hehehehe

Cheers!

Considering how rare it is to meet another geocacher on the trail, wouldn't it be more fun to introduce yourself and put a face with the name? I would rather make a new friend within the hobby than count some 'first find' or somesuch nonsense. What are the odds that you will encounter the same person on the next trail? Next to none, so you can count that one if you need to.

Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com

Over 80 found, and last weekend was the first time I met fellow cachers, at two caches, and within a couple of hours. The first time, we were going in to try to get a first find, and met somebody on the way out, and the second time, we were in this park looking at this stand of trees and trying to find the best way to go through the underbrush when I heard somebody say "we'll rehide it first before you come in here." Of course, this is Minnesota, so in each case, we talked to the fellow cachers for a bit before continuing on with our business. 15T

www.1800goguard.com