Isnt using a GPS too easy?

I did some GeoCaching for a week while I had my GPSr on loan to my brother and still had a very enjoyable time.

As long as the cache is not a MultiCache and you have a few clues to go on, you can do it without a GPSr. But then there is some other names for that (Scavanger Hunting and Letterboxing) ha ha.

quote:
Originally posted by bodenhek:

I really cant believe people use GPS. Maybe something I am missing but cant you just walk right on top of the cache? And how many nongps people are there like me?

---------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

www.neurocache.com - NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page

No. Considering the accuracy of consumer grade units and all other variables. Times a gps will put you right on top of a cache are very few and far between. If it gets me to within 10 feet I'm happy as a clam (how happy is that?). I figure the norm for me is 20 to 30 feet.

quote:

I really cant believe people use GPS. Maybe something I am missing but cant you just walk right on top of the cache? And how many nongps people are there like me?

The main reason you need a GPS is to submit a cache. If you try to submit a cache that somehow does not (on its face) REQUIRE a GPS to find, it won't be approved.

Pan

"The internet to tell me where. A GPS to get me there."

True, True, and to an extent actually a GPSr can handicap you, if you are like me. Sometimes I will keep looking at my GPSr when I should just start looking around.

I think the additional cache that a lot of people dont think about is the fact that not only is your GPSr going to be between 15-30 feet off normally, but so was the person that was placing the cache. So that means you could be anywhere from an average of 30-60 feet away depeneding on the accuracy of the cache owner and your GPSr readings.

GPSr's will help you get to the general area, but it is still up to the individual to locate the cache in most caches.

quote:
Originally posted by Team 5-oh!:

No. Considering the accuracy of consumer grade units and all other variables. Times a gps will put you right on top of a cache are very few and far between. If it gets me to within 10 feet I'm happy as a clam (how happy is that?). I figure the norm for me is 20 to 30 feet.

And thus, the saga continues. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

quote:

The main reason you need a GPS is to submit a cache. If you try to submit a cache that somehow does not (on its face) REQUIRE a GPS to find, it won't be approved.

Pan

quote:
Originally posted by NeuroNomad & Sublonde:

Come on! My comment may have been a wee bit snide, but it's true, isn't it? icon_smile.gif

Plus, if you really don't need GPSrs for Geocaching... why wasn't it invented long ago?

Pan

Just because you get guided to the right area doesn't mean that it makes the cache easy to find. I've been to several caches which took multiple visits before I actually found the cache itself.

With many caches, getting to the cache site or the site itself is really the prize. Planting a cache there is just one way to share the place with others.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

I think the use of a GPSr helps to keep you 20-60 feet from the cache (at least here in the thick canopy of the NW), making it just hard enough.

LOL! so true...

You won't find the cache with your nose in the GPSr. For me, I think the GPS is most useful in my car on the way there. I'm fine once I'm in the woods, but I usually get lost driving places. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

Come on! My comment may have been a wee bit snide, but it's true, isn't it?

Plus, if you really don't need GPSrs for Geocaching... why wasn't it invented long ago?

After reading your previous threads, that line (and NeuroNomad&Sublonde's too) cracked me up. icon_smile.gif But I have to agree with you. I think you pretty much should have a GPS to place a cache. Though I doubt anyone would know if you just made a good guess using a detailed map. The first finder would post the actual coordinates. I've come across quite a few caches where the original posted coordinates were pretty far off.

As for your second question (rhetorical probably, but...) -- it's all about the internet. Letterboxing has been around in some form for many years, but I don't think any hobby like this could become popular without a good web site. Jeremy dererves a lot of credit for making geocaching work really well.

-BeachBuddies

Yes I'm lost, but at least I know my coordinates!

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon

If you try to submit a cache that somehow does not (on its face) REQUIRE a GPS to find, it won't be approved.

Darn! Does that mean we won't see a Melvin Dui Reloaded?

-WR

"Besides physical caches, we have VIRTUal and VIRTUeless."

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by NeuroNomad & Sublonde:

Come on! My comment may have been a wee bit snide, but it's true, isn't it? icon_smile.gif

Pan

Isn't that what they call a scavenge hunt with hints?

Cheers!

TL

Originally posted by WaldenRun:

Darn! Does that mean we won't see a Melvin Dui Reloaded?

-WR

Well, I know its been a long time coming, but eventually I will redesign Melvil Dui, and try to get it "reloaded" (nice title btw).

Who knows whether it will be approved.

Pan

bodenhek, I noticed that so far, you've been finding caches rated 1/1 to 2/2. Let me assure you, once you move on to start hunting a cache with a terrain rating of 3 or higher, involving a multiple-mile hike in an unfamiliar area, that GPS can come in *very* handy.

I do like it that you've chosen a way to make the caches into a different challenge. Doing them without a GPS means you have to have good map and compass skills. I've found a few that way myself. I also like doing other things to make the easier caches more challenging, such as finding them at night or finding them in bad weather.

To each his own, and it's cool that you've chosen the GPS-less path.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

When I first got interested in caching, I already had a GPS. I bought it because I love gadgets and technology. It basically sat on a shelf untill I discovered caching, and was thrilled to find a pastime that would allow me to use the unit to it's full potential. I even upgraded to a more sophisticated unit for even more fun. For me, it's all about watching the map scroll along, and finding the container. icon_smile.gif

96920_1100.jpg

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

quote:
Originally posted by volks_ev71:

Try finding caches on the side of mountains and in heavy foliage where the GPS hardly even works ...

Well if it hardly even works for finding it then what type of integrity does one put on the placing of it?

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

You don't have to always use a GPS to find a cache, but if you're going on a huge hike, its a good thing to have, especially to mark the car. A recent cache i went on involved a hike that kept my friends and myself in the woods for about 9 hours. The hike was almost entirely bushwhacking over boulders except for maybe 2 hours. We were happy as hell to have a GPS cause bushwhacking is alot like standing in corn, all your surroundings look the same.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

quote:

Bodenhek, I notice that all your finds are relatively easy caches. I challenge you (and Mr. Tower247) to hunt something like this back-country cache or this urban cache and then tell us how easy it is.

The second of those two isn't even a 5, and everyone so far has needed clues. The first one speaks for itself. When I hide a five (coming soon), you will definitely need a GPSr, and it will still be difficult.

"...clear as mud?"

I am slipping into GPSr addiction. I even use it to get to work every day. Our GPSr's speed-o-meter is more accurate than my truck's. Our GPSr is super-accurate. It's amazing how many people's GPSrs don't match ours, even cache owners'. We move all the caches we find to match our exact coordinates, to give other cachers a fighting chance to find it without too much frustration. And that WGS84 map, wow! Anywhere in the world, well, in North Texas, anyway, and there are some little blobs and lines to tell me exactly where I am. I even use it to navigate my sailboat through the crowded marina at night when I can't see the marker buoys. Just keep my eye on the old map page, no worries. When we're looking for caches, I relentlessly seek the zero spot and spiral out from there, bushwhacking and knocking down all that pesky foliage until we find the cache! Geocaching is such great fun, but I don't know how you all do it without a GPSr...

astrojr1&G-O-GardenerGal

quote:
Originally posted by georapper:

then why don't all you people throw your dadgum gps receivers away and stop whining about it. you sound like a bunch of dadgum whiners. waaaaaa, where's my binky???(gpsr), waaaaaaa.....

Georapper, weren't you the one whining about caches that were hidden under rocks? My, how things have changed. Take a number...

"...clear as mud?"